Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:00 am

memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.


Very good post!! A lot of negativity on this site lately.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 am

memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.

The fact is Elvis didn't clean himself up, he died. I took the view how Elvis' career was at the time. Your post is more of a "dream" view. Dreaming about what he could have done.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.

The fact is Elvis didn't clean himself up, he died. I took the view how Elvis' career was at the time. Your post is more of a "dream" view.


Yes how it was at the time, and who's to say what he would've done had he survived August 16th. Certainly not you or I.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:32 am

memphisound wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.

The fact is Elvis didn't clean himself up, he died. I took the view how Elvis' career was at the time. Your post is more of a "dream" view.


Yes how it was at the time, and who's to say what he would've done had he survived August 16th. Certainly not you or I.

You just did.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:34 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.

The fact is Elvis didn't clean himself up, he died. I took the view how Elvis' career was at the time. Your post is more of a "dream" view.


Yes how it was at the time, and who's to say what he would've done had he survived August 16th. Certainly not you or I.

You just did.


I wish we would have had the chance to find out.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:35 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
memphisound wrote:Just because he was at the age of 42 does not mean the man couldn't had recorded another hit record.

If he had gotten himself clean and life straightened out, maybe even a different Manager, theres no doubt in my mind he could've been at the top of the charts again.

He wasn't 21, anymore, but that don't mean he couldn't make great music anymore.

Such a pessimistic view.

The fact is Elvis didn't clean himself up, he died. I took the view how Elvis' career was at the time. Your post is more of a "dream" view.


Yes how it was at the time, and who's to say what he would've done had he survived August 16th. Certainly not you or I.

You just did.


Just to clarify, you made it seem pretty certain that because he was 42 it was too late, you didn't say because he died, but his age. And that, I disagree with is all. Have a good evening !

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.


That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.



Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.


Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.


I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

:roll: :roll:

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:05 am

You need to read posts again and try to understand.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:12 am

I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:You need to read posts again and try to understand.


I would say the same to you but evidently you can't.

I understand what r&b and you are trying to say but I don't agree with it and think it's wrong.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:12 am

Joe Car wrote:I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.


I would say he had a lot he could have still achieved. He was still a relatively young man. He still had Europe, Japan, Australia, and the USSR to conquer plus any where else like Africa, Mexico and South America. He had different genres of movies he could tackle as well.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:16 am

brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:You need to read posts again and try to understand.


I would say the same to you but evidently you can't.

I understand what r&b and you are trying to say but I don't agree with it and think it's wrong.

Whatever.....

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:32 am

eligain wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.


I would say he had a lot he could have still achieved. He was still a relatively young man. He still had Europe, Japan, Australia, and the USSR to conquer plus any where else like Africa, Mexico and South America. He had different genres of movies he could tackle as well.


You know what, I misread the thread, I thought could have as opposed to would have. My mistake. I agree with what you said, absolutely.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:39 am

brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.


That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.



Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.


Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.


I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

:roll: :roll:


Yes you don't have to have a hit to sell out an arena. Yes, he was still a top touring act (for middle America). But honestly, do you really think Elvis would have sold out 4 shows at MSG in 1977 like he did in 1972? How about the LA Forum? I don't think he would have. He just wasn't as hot an act for cities like that anymore. When I got my tickets for the Aug 1977 show in Uniondale, NY, a co-worker of mine said , Oh is Elvis still around? Such was his star status.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:50 am

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.


That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.



Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.


Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.


I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

:roll: :roll:


Yes you don't have to have a hit to sell out an arena. Yes, he was still a top touring act (for middle America). But honestly, do you really think Elvis would have sold out 4 shows at MSG in 1977 like he did in 1972? How about the LA Forum? I don't think he would have. He just wasn't as hot an act for cities like that anymore. When I got my tickets for the Aug 1977 show in Uniondale, NY, a co-worker of mine said , Oh is Elvis still around? Such was his star status.


Elvis sold out shows at Chicago stadium in 1976.

Elvis played the Philadelphia spectrum in 1977.

The mistake that I think you often make is taking one person's comment and thinking it speaks for everyone.

Your co-worker was probably never an Elvis fan and wouldn't have ever gone to one of his concerts.

That means nothing when we are taking about whether or not Elvis fans would have showed up for his concerts.

I bet the 1977 tour that never was would have sold out.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:52 am

Joe Car wrote:
eligain wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.


I would say he had a lot he could have still achieved. He was still a relatively young man. He still had Europe, Japan, Australia, and the USSR to conquer plus any where else like Africa, Mexico and South America. He had different genres of movies he could tackle as well.


You know what, I misread the thread, I thought could have as opposed to would have. My mistake. I agree with what you said, absolutely.


The OP's original query was: "I sometimes wonder what more Elvis might have achieved had he not died when he did and perhaps sorted himself out..."

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:00 am

Nothing more.
He went through the whole cycle. Almost 40 years since he left and still a subject in many many peoples lives.

He couldn't achieve anything further than what he did and left behind.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 am

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.


That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.



Really? I doubt Elvis would have still sold out MSG for 4 shows in 1977. I think his career was now mostly relegated to less major cities and suburbs which, he was still selling out, but he was no longer the star he was a few years earlier. His name and past rep sold out shows those last 2 years, not the product he was putting out. If he didn't change course soon, I think the venues would have gotten smaller as the older faithful fans would have eventually stopped going and newer younger fans would not have been drawn to his show with no new hit records, and the reviews the shows were getting. Plus, the whole jumpsuit thing did not appeal to younger people. It didn't look like things were about to change. He didn't even want to record new material in 1977. But it seemed like Elvis was content to let things continue as they were. Another listless tour was about to start.


Yes, really r&b.

That's what I'm telling you Elvis was always going to consistently be able to sell out tours.

According to Billboard in 1977 Elvis was the #1 concert attraction for venues 6,000 to 20,000 seats and was still packing them in Vegas.

I just got thru telling you that to sell out shows you don't have to have hit records or be a contemporary force in music.

There are numerous examples of people not having a big hit record for years and they still pack them in.

You keep harping on the jumpsuits and perhaps Elvis should have ditched them by 1977 but it was a completely different era.

The 1970s was a horrible decade for fashion and many of the top music performers wore really ugly clothes on stage.

Always an apologist! Elvis could not have gone on forever touring the way he was, same songs and venues etc, it would have all eventually dried up. Elvis' popularity was waning. As r&b says, fans were still lining up to see him because of his past reputation. Most fans seeing him for the first time, in say, 74 to 77, were probably expecting to see the TTWII Elvis and the fans were screaming for what he once was and not for the performance he was giving at the time. As r&b says, he had no current new/hit records to keep the public interested. His career was in need of a desperate change. At the age if 42 it was too late, his young years were over.


I'm not being an apologist it's just being factual and it is stupid of you to even say that.

It's a fact that in 1977 Elvis Presley was the top touring act in America for arenas that seated 6,000 to 20,000 people.

How many times do I frickin have to say that you don't need current hit records to be a top touring act and to sell out shows.

Again that's the point lots of singers and bands sell out shows long after they stop having hit records or being a contemporary force in the music business because of their past reputations.

Since you don't understand something so simple you must be in need of serious help.

:roll: :roll:


Yes you don't have to have a hit to sell out an arena. Yes, he was still a top touring act (for middle America). But honestly, do you really think Elvis would have sold out 4 shows at MSG in 1977 like he did in 1972? How about the LA Forum? I don't think he would have. He just wasn't as hot an act for cities like that anymore. When I got my tickets for the Aug 1977 show in Uniondale, NY, a co-worker of mine said , Oh is Elvis still around? Such was his star status.


Did your co-worker live in a hole in the ground? Elvis was still in newspapers, magazines etc. It doesn't make sense.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 am

Joe Car wrote:I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.


Life. He could have "achieved" living his life.

Watching his child grow up, grandchildren. Just living and enjoying his life. Part of that was music, of course, but only part. It was his work, and as still a young man, he had ceased to enjoy his work, his music. He deserved to take pleasure in that, too. "Hit records" are irrelevant to that.

Anything else would be a bonus for his fans; he deserved his life.

Isn't that what Lennon meant by "I'm just watching the wheels go 'round and 'round." He took time to live. And then incorporated his work, and intended to keep doing so.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:05 am

rjm wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I'm not sure what more the man could have achieved, especially in 22 years in the business. He came from nothing, changed the world and influenced the music and countless of great artists that followed him and in doing so, did it ever so humbly, with great respect for his fellow man. So special was this man that we devote a good portion of each day discussing him, 36 years after his passing.


Life. He could have "achieved" living his life.

Watching his child grow up, grandchildren. Just living and enjoying his life. Part of that was music, of course, but only part. It was his work, and as still a young man, he had ceased to enjoy his work, his music. He deserved to take pleasure in that, too. "Hit records" are irrelevant to that.

Anything else would be a bonus for his fans; he deserved his life.

Isn't that what Lennon meant by "I'm just watching the wheels go 'round and 'round." He took time to live. And then incorporated his work, and intended to keep doing so.

rjm


That's a great point.

The saddest thing about Elvis Presley's early death is that his daughter didn't really get to know him that well and his grandkids will never know him.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:54 am

You're right, Brian. And it was a very sad thing that Elvis died when Lisa was at Graceland ans she never saw him again.
Regarding the tours of 1977, Elvis in August if he lived I'm sure he would sold out the arenas from Memphis, Portland, Utica, Syracuse, Hartford, Uniondale, Lexington, Roanoke, Fayeteville and Asheville. In some of these Elvis never performed and there were many more cities in the States when Elvis didn't appeared. So his touring could be so succesful in the future in spite of "Elvis in Concert" TV special and the bodyguard's book.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 am

elvis-fan wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:What might have been is that Elvis would not have needed to die if people around him would have cared about him instead of about getting a new car, house or Christmas bonus.

Sorry... that one made me laugh out loud...

Why should people around him have care? Was he a little child? He has to care himself. :roll:

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:14 am

brian wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:You need to read posts again and try to understand.


I would say the same to you but evidently you can't.

I understand what r&b and you are trying to say but I don't agree with it and think it's wrong.

The thing with you is, you only see things your way. You don't examine or look through the correct end of the telescope. You've got to have an open mind and take into account other things that are going on at the time, instead of just seeing it one way. Your got this obsession with Elvis still selling out shows with no real insight into why he would still do this from 16th August onwards. What i'm talking about is the state of Elvis' career at the time and he could've gone on forever like that.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes, Elvis could still sell out huge auditoriums in 1977. I, along with 19,000 others saw him in Louisville on May 21st of that year. Same with Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Baltimore, etc. People were coming out in droves to see him. However, things were starting to change here. He, more than any other year, was starting to play the smaller venues. He received an occasional bad review or two from a newspaper critic in previous years, but the bad reviews were now becoming a regular thing. The (What Happened?) book was released in July and even though Elvis fans were (and still are) quite forgiving, it would have had an impact on some of his audiences. Elvis more than likely would have been on stage during the next tour telling his audiences "not to believe that junk." He also would have said that he was healthier and happier than he'd ever been. Many people would have applauded and cheered him on. BUT...the trap was set. He would have been watched closer than ever before. His shows would have been dissected to pieces with those looking at him through a magnifying glass. Once the book thing had been put into their minds, it would not have been hard to see that there was indeed something very wrong. Unless a drastic change was in the works, Elvis would not have had much of a career left. Who was the person that blurted out, "Good career move!" upon hearing of Elvis' death?

I love the man and his music as much as anyone here. I can still get some enjoyment out of listening to shows from the last couple of years (most of them, anyway). However, if we are completely honest with ourselves and take a look at what was going on in the summer of 1977, it is easy to see that (repeating) unless a drastic change was in the works, the career of Elvis Presley was just about over.

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Rob wrote:Yes, Elvis could still sell out huge auditoriums in 1977. I, along with 19,000 others saw him in Louisville on May 21st of that year. Same with Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Baltimore, etc. People were coming out in droves to see him. However, things were starting to change here. He, more than any other year, was starting to play the smaller venues. He received an occasional bad review or two from a newspaper critic in previous years, but the bad reviews were now becoming a regular thing. The (What Happened?) book was released in July and even though Elvis fans were (and still are) quite forgiving, it would have had an impact on some of his audiences. Elvis more than likely would have been on stage during the next tour telling his audiences "not to believe that junk." He also would have said that he was healthier and happier than he'd ever been. Many people would have applauded and cheered him on. BUT...the trap was set. He would have been watched closer than ever before. His shows would have been dissected to pieces with those looking at him through a magnifying glass. Once the book thing had been put into their minds, it would not have been hard to see that there was indeed something very wrong. Unless a drastic change was in the works, Elvis would not have had much of a career left. Who was the person that blurted out, "Good career move!" upon hearing of Elvis' death?

I love the man and his music as much as anyone here. I can still get some enjoyment out of listening to shows from the last couple of years (most of them, anyway). However, if we are completely honest with ourselves and take a look at what was going on in the summer of 1977, it is easy to see that (repeating) unless a drastic change was in the works, the career of Elvis Presley was just about over.

That was a nice summary, thanks.

"good career move" did the Colonel really say that?
If so, when and where?