Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What more would Elvis have achieved...

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 am

I sometimes wonder what more Elvis might have achieved had he not died when he did and perhaps sorted himself out... I would be interested to know what you guys all think or would have hoped for. Some of mine are:

1. World Tour (without jumpsuits!) with an MTV style unplugged segment in the show and Elvis dropping all songs he didn't really want to perform.

2. A quality movie. I would think a crime-thriller, with Elvis as the main character. No songs!

3. Appearing on some TV chat shows, so we can see more of what he was like in a more banterful situation. Maybe he would talk about the tougher times and what he went through.

4. Songwriting - perhaps with a co-writer he could write some of his own stuff. He was extremely well read, an intelligent man, with a lot of experiences. I'd personally like to have seen him co-write with someone like Don Henley (did Elvis like The Eagles by the way, anyone know?)

5. Finally I'd just like to have seen him happy, married again maybe with another child but in a solid settled situation so he could have more of a 'real' life.

If only, eh...

Re: What more would Elvis have achieved...

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am

Man...if only things worked out that well for our hero. It just kind of sucks that it didn't because I can't think of anyone more deserving of such a rest of his life than Elvis.

He didn't deserve to die when he did...and like Lamar said in Elvis: The Last 24 Hours - he shouldn't have had to die alone if he had to die. He should have at least have had all of his close friends and family around him.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 am

Nice post. I usually try to avoid "what if" scenarios about his future that never happened, but this seems so reasonable. And, sure, songwriting was possible: most people act as though he was handicapped in some fashion, when all he needed was a support system to overcome his doubts. Thanks. rjm

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm

stedders wrote:I sometimes wonder what more Elvis might have achieved had he not died when he did and perhaps sorted himself out... I would be interested to know what you guys all think or would have hoped for. Some of mine are:

1. World Tour (without jumpsuits!) with an MTV style unplugged segment in the show and Elvis dropping all songs he didn't really want to perform.

2. A quality movie. I would think a crime-thriller, with Elvis as the main character. No songs!

3. Appearing on some TV chat shows, so we can see more of what he was like in a more banterful situation. Maybe he would talk about the tougher times and what he went through.

4. Songwriting - perhaps with a co-writer he could write some of his own stuff. He was extremely well read, an intelligent man, with a lot of experiences. I'd personally like to have seen him co-write with someone like Don Henley (did Elvis like The Eagles by the way, anyone know?)

5. Finally I'd just like to have seen him happy, married again maybe with another child but in a solid settled situation so he could have more of a 'real' life.

If only, eh...

1. Elvis loved the jumpsuits
2. We had those, they were called Flaming star & Wild in the ocuntry. No big success compared to the travelogues! So we had our choice and ruined it for Elvis
3. TV chat shows are very light-entertainment orientated so I doubt we would have learned more than we learned from the interviews Elvis has done through the years
4. Ever heard of You'll be gone?
5. He married May 1, 1967 to Priscilla, Charlie, Joe and quite a few others. It would have worked out better if he had told "the guys" to go (they obviously were not so clever to see that for themselves)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
stedders wrote:I sometimes wonder what more Elvis might have achieved had he not died when he did and perhaps sorted himself out... I would be interested to know what you guys all think or would have hoped for. Some of mine are:

If only, eh...

2. We had those, they were called Flaming star & Wild in the ocuntry. No big success compared to the travelogues! So we had our choice and ruined it for Elvis
3. TV chat shows are very light-entertainment orientated so I doubt we would have learned more than we learned from the interviews Elvis has done through the years
5. He married May 1, 1967 to Priscilla, Charlie, Joe and quite a few others. It would have worked out better if he had told "the guys" to go (they obviously were not so clever to see that for themselves)

That was quite an aggressive response! I think the jumpsuits had served their time and looked tacky at the end to be honest. Flaming Star and Wild In The Country both had songs, both were okay films but certainly not really good films and neither were crime thrillers as I suggested. TV Chat shows are a mix of both serious and light, depends which one. I have heard of that song but I think a more mature Elvis could have really had a go at songwriting. Finally, he married probably under duress and yes he probably needed to have the house to just him and his wife, but I am talking about what ifs for the future not his past. Wrong side of the bed? My post was not about if you or anyone think I am right, but to chat about what might have been...Please stay on topic ;)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Hook up with Rick Rubin in the 90's and make better films.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 pm

stedders wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

If only, eh...

That was quite an aggressive response! I think the jumpsuits had served their time and looked tacky at the end to be honest. Flaming Star and Wild In The Country both had songs, both were okay films but certainly not really good films and neither were crime thrillers as I suggested. TV Chat shows are a mix of both serious and light, depends which one. I have heard of that song but I think a more mature Elvis could have really had a go at songwriting. Finally, he married probably under duress and yes he probably needed to have the house to just him and his wife, but I am talking about what ifs for the future not his past. Wrong side of the bed? My post was not about if you or anyone think I am right, but to chat about what might have been...Please stay on topic ;)

What might have been is that Elvis would not have needed to die if people around him would have cared about him instead of about getting a new car, house or Christmas bonus.
Elvis would not have been very disappointed in the people he had taken care for for ages and become depressed.
If we, the fans, would have gone to his serious movies (compared to the travelogues), Elvis would have been a serious actor like he wanted to.
And lighten up, it's only a forum.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:57 pm

I try not to ask 'what if' too often, there seem to be so many 'what ifs' in Elvis' life. i think it takes away from the wonderful legacy he left. Still it's tempting, so here goes: I think it would not be too far-fetched to think that, had Elvis cleaned up his act, Bruce Springsteen would've written and produced an Elvis album. He did so for one of his other boyhood heroes Gary US Bonds. There actually is a short story written about how Bruce and Elvis team up and become good friends. I think it's either on Brucebase or Backstreets.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Perhaps he could have closed Live Aid or starred in the We are the world video

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Depression is a bad thing, people who have never had it really do not understand it, and people who suffer from it are often looked at as "whacko's" from those who have never had it. I've had people I know commit suicide because of it. Depression caused by the end of a marriage, where there's kids involved, make it worse, all the aggravation and the despair. This is what Elvis was suffering from and this was what had a big influence on his addiction and , eventually his death, and he had to play it out in front of the world.As someone who has been through a very painful marriage break up , I can honestly say, if someone had offered me some narcotics to take all the pain and misery away for a few hours, i would have snapped their friendly hands off.
People are constantly slagging Elvis off for the last few years of his life, put yourself in his shoes for once and back off the poor guy.

Lennon was a worse addict than Elvis, taking much harder drugs, but he got through his addiction, Keith Richards as well, and as much as I love both those guys, they never get half the flak that Elvis does, and from his own fans!
Rant over!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Friendly? I didnt put that, I put f*****!!!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Hopefully he would have resolved all of his personal issues and got to a point he felt happy. Would have been nice to think of him growing old and spending more time with his daughter and Grandchildren. For a man who's gave me so much daily pleasure I would want him to be internally happy rather than think about the career goals he could have attained.
As for those goals he would have had to change the way he thought and took charge of who he was, if he was committed, who knows?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Depression is a bad thing, people who have never had it really do not understand it, and people who suffer from it are often looked at as "whacko's" from those who have never had it. I've had people I know commit suicide because of it. Depression caused by the end of a marriage, where there's kids involved, make it worse, all the aggravation and the despair. This is what Elvis was suffering from and this was what had a big influence on his addiction and , eventually his death, and he had to play it out in front of the world.As someone who has been through a very painful marriage break up , I can honestly say, if someone had offered me some narcotics to take all the pain and misery away for a few hours, i would have snapped their friendly hands off.
People are constantly slagging Elvis off for the last few years of his life, put yourself in his shoes for once and back off the poor guy.

Lennon was a worse addict than Elvis, taking much harder drugs, but he got through his addiction, Keith Richards as well, and as much as I love both those guys, they never get half the flak that Elvis does, and from his own fans!
Rant over!

I am really confused as to where this response came from... All I asked was what I thought was a nice idea of wondering what Elvis could have done had he not passed away so soon. I find your answer very educated but absolutely nothing to do with the question, in no way shape or form... I was in no way denouncing Elvis for having a tough time, only exercising some wishful thinking as to what he might have done. I have only posted a few times on here and am beginning to wonder if it is worth it when you get responses like this one... Very strange.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 pm

The grand opening of the Ā«Love Me TenderĀ» theater in Branson, Missouri.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues. He wasn't exactly breaking ground anymore, or selling volumes. He wasnt going to can the Col. He wasn't into musical collaborations with good writers or performers like Bruce, Clapton or whoever. Hell, he hardly even heard of these people. This is hard for me to say but The legend of Elvis really took off because he died so young and under strange circumstances. Drugs or heart attack? it stayed in the media for years, added to the legend, and more people became aware of what this man did because of it. But in 1977, not many people under 20 cared or knew.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:13 pm

stedders wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Depression is a bad thing, people who have never had it really do not understand it, and people who suffer from it are often looked at as "whacko's" from those who have never had it. I've had people I know commit suicide because of it. Depression caused by the end of a marriage, where there's kids involved, make it worse, all the aggravation and the despair. This is what Elvis was suffering from and this was what had a big influence on his addiction and , eventually his death, and he had to play it out in front of the world.As someone who has been through a very painful marriage break up , I can honestly say, if someone had offered me some narcotics to take all the pain and misery away for a few hours, i would have snapped their friendly hands off.

Rant over!

I am really confused as to where this response came from... All I asked was what I thought was a nice idea of wondering what Elvis could have done had he not passed away so soon. I find your answer very educated but absolutely nothing to do with the question, in no way shape or form... I was in no way denouncing Elvis for having a tough time, only exercising some wishful thinking as to what he might have done. I have only posted a few times on here and am beginning to wonder if it is worth it when you get responses like this one... Very strange.

It was not a dig at you, please don't take it that way, I'm just getting somewhat p***ed off with the negative threads constantly criticizing Elvis, on closer look, yours really isn't, so my bad and I apologise, it may have been better in one of the other many threads constantly putting Elvis down.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:54 pm

This is de short story I was referring to in an earlier post. It's aptly called "Didn't Have to Die."

http://backstreets.com/Assets/pdfs/Elvi ... Pony53.pdf

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Liverbobs wrote:
stedders wrote:

Rant over!

It was not a dig at you, please don't take it that way, I'm just getting somewhat p***ed off with the negative threads constantly criticizing Elvis, on closer look, yours really isn't, so my bad and I apologise, it may have been better in one of the other many threads constantly putting Elvis down.

Hey no problem and thanks for replying :)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:03 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:What might have been is that Elvis would not have needed to die if people around him would have cared about him instead of about getting a new car, house or Christmas bonus.

Sorry... that one made me laugh out loud...

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:57 pm

The songwriting thing never would have happened because Elvis wasn't a songwriter and never had any desire to write his own songs.
Lots of singers don't write their own material.

After not writing songs since the beginning of his singing career why would Elvis all of a sudden say I want to be a songwriter and start writing all of his own material.

It would have been a nice achievement for Elvis if he had written a few big hits and gotten inducted into the songwriting hall of fame.

But it's like I said.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Joe Esposito has stated that Elvis expressed a strong interest in becoming a director and directing action films.
Jerry Schilling says he thinks Elvis would have started his own production company and produced some films.

At an Elvis fan convention in Las Vegas in 2005 Dick Grob stated that Elvis was tired of the routine of touring the same places in the U.S. and had expressed interest in doing more satellite concerts.

Dick Grob said Elvis had the idea to do more satellite shows from foreign locations such as Tokyo, London and Rome.

J.D. Sumner had mentioned that Elvis talked about doing an all gospel concert tour.

I would guess that if Elvis had lived the direction he would have taken musically would have been ballads and country music.

Elvis probably would have scored a few more top ten hits on the country and easy listening charts and maybe a couple more number ones.

Given that Elvis had already done a satellite show and had flirted with film producing with the unfinished New Gladiators project it seems like a strong possibility that those things would have happened.

Particularly under new management.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm

r&b wrote:Very tough to answer. How do you know he would have achieved anything more at all. His career was stalled and he could have kept on going that route until he totally faded into oblivion and became one of many other oldies acts playing smaller & smaller venues.

That never would have happened.

Elvis had enough fans and was always more popular than the artists that had to play oldies package tours to earn a living.

Elvis played and routinely sold out the arena's in the United States and was always getting offered millions to play all over the world.

If nothing else Elvis would have continued to sell out shows and be a highly profitable touring act.

The thing about touring is you don't have to be relevant at all musically to sell out shows and make a lot of money from it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Lennon was a worse addict than Elvis, taking much harder drugs...

I'm not exactly sure how you would measure such a thing but a couple observations...

- Demerol, Dilaudid, Placidyl, Methaqualone, Morphine, Pentobarbital, Dexedrine, Valium (just to name a few)... were favorites of Elvis'
- between 1975 and 1977, Elvis was prescribed more than 18,000 doses of prescription drugs - "in the first eight months of 1977 alone,
Nichopoulos had written 199 prescriptions totalling more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines and narcotics (That's 40 doses a day!)"
- while no cause of death has ever been confirmed, it is not unreasonable to believe that Elvis' chronic abuse of drugs in the last few years of his life played a role

Definitely signs of abuse with some seriously powerful drugs... but Lennon was worse than that???

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Lennon was a worse addict than Elvis, taking much harder drugs...

I'm not exactly sure how you would measure such a thing but a couple observations...

- Demerol, Dilaudid, Placidyl, Methaqualone, Morphine, Pentobarbital, Dexedrine, Valium (just to name a few)... were favorites of Elvis'
- between 1975 and 1977, Elvis was prescribed more than 18,000 doses of prescription drugs - "in the first eight months of 1977 alone,
Nichopoulos had written 199 prescriptions totalling more than 10,000 doses of sedatives, amphetamines and narcotics (That's 40 doses a day!)"
- while no cause of death has ever been confirmed, it is not unreasonable to believe that Elvis' chronic abuse of drugs in the last few years of his life played a role

Definitely signs of abuse with some seriously powerful drugs... but Lennon was worse than that???

I think Livebobs originally meant to type his post and put it in another thread.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Any performer...I don't care who you are...Elvis, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles...do NOT stay on top forever..unless something tragic happens...like they die or disband. Don't want to get into all "He's alive crap" but any smart manager see's into the future and knows that one day "their" artist will no longer be on top. Music changes, taste changes...so as bad as this sounds...death is the best thing that happened to Elvis and Michael Jackson as far as "Living on" and "staying" on top. The Beatles knew this, even though there were other factors that came into play on why they never got back together...they quit on top of their game...they didn't let "changes in music" catch up with them.

It isn't really about Elvis staying on top.

It's about what Elvis would have done and if you think he would have achieved some more things if he hadn't died.