Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: How about 2-5 songs you wish Elvis DIDN'T perform live

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:14 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:I meant that anything post-72, it becomes difficult for me to listen to a full show all the way through (there are a few exceptions, naturally). So, for the most part, the number of songs I skip over is far larger than the number of songs I actually want to listen to.

Ah, I see. What about pre-1972?

For example, Little Walter's "My Babe," a fiery nod to his love of '50s R&B, is one of many standouts in the 1969 sets. His performances of the 4 American Sound singles, heard in shows between July 1969 and March 1970, are superb. His rundowns of "Tiger Man" in the summer of 1970 are perfect examples of classic rock 'n' roll in the present day.

Indeed. I can't play "My Babe" without repeating it a few times.

Pre-72, a few songs come to mind that I wish he didn't perform: "Let It Be Me", "The Impossible Dream" "Love Me Tender" "Baby What You Want Me To Do" (live '69 full band version never sat well with me).

While I enjoy The Impossible Dream (like it or loathe it, it's a showstopper), I totally agree with Let It Be Me - like It's Impossible, he sings it well but it's one hell of a dull song.

Yeah, I can appreciate the strong vocal delivery but the melody and overall structure of the song just leaves me cold. Never enjoyed this one right from the timpani intro.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I Got a Woman /Amen the only good thing in this "medley" is the JD sumner part in the end then he goes deep voice

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:23 pm

I Got a Woman /Amen the only good thing in this "medley" is the JD sumner part in the end then he goes deep voice

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm

"My Way." Elvis's versions are plodding and maudlin, and for me it made no sense artistically for him to cover a song so indelibly associated as Sinatra's anthem, any more than it made sense for Sinatra to do that horrendous cover of "Love Me Tender" in 1979. I always feel a sad sense of irony whenever I hear his version, considering at the end Elvis really didn't do things 'his way' and allowed Col. Parker to manipulate him and his career.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

U.S. Male1990 wrote:"My Way." Elvis's versions are plodding and maudlin, and for me it made no sense artistically for him to cover a song so indelibly associated as Sinatra's anthem, any more than it made sense for Sinatra to do that horrendous cover of "Love Me Tender" in 1979. I always feel a sad sense of irony whenever I hear his version, considering at the end Elvis really didn't do things 'his way' and allowed Col. Parker to manipulate him and his career.

Love Me Tender was recorded b Sinatra in a collection of songs written since the start of the rock era. I don't like it much either, but at the age of 64 Sinatra was recording his most ambitious album yet, a 3LP set looking at the past (pre-rock), present (1956-79) and future (a 40 minute semi-classical work). It's not all a success, but it does show the difference between the two performers - Elvis had little or no sense of ambition during his final 7 years, and he was only 35. Sinatra was nearly twice that age and pushing for something new and exciting. Trilogy is a patchy album, and Love Me Tender isn't one of the best songs on it, but it made perfect sense in the context of that package to record the song.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:42 pm

To me the worst is the overlong versions of I Got A Woman/Amen with J.D. Sumner doing twice the dive-bomb routine. I think this started in 1974 and never stopped (one of the exceptions was the opening Las Vegas August 19 1974).

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
U.S. Male1990 wrote:"My Way." Elvis's versions are plodding and maudlin, and for me it made no sense artistically for him to cover a song so indelibly associated as Sinatra's anthem, any more than it made sense for Sinatra to do that horrendous cover of "Love Me Tender" in 1979. I always feel a sad sense of irony whenever I hear his version, considering at the end Elvis really didn't do things 'his way' and allowed Col. Parker to manipulate him and his career.

Love Me Tender was recorded b Sinatra in a collection of songs written since the start of the rock era. I don't like it much either, but at the age of 64 Sinatra was recording his most ambitious album yet, a 3LP set looking at the past (pre-rock), present (1956-79) and future (a 40 minute semi-classical work). It's not all a success, but it does show the difference between the two performers - Elvis had little or no sense of ambition during his final 7 years, and he was only 35. Sinatra was nearly twice that age and pushing for something new and exciting. Trilogy is a patchy album, and Love Me Tender isn't one of the best songs on it, but it made perfect sense in the context of that package to record the song.

Oh, I agree, I'm a major Sinatra fan and for the most part I think Trilogy is an excellent record for the most part, but the 'present' section is undoubtedly the weakest of the three, and "Love Me Tender" is absolutely one of the worst recordings on it (perhaps second only to "Song Sung Blue").

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 am

elvis_king wrote:I Got a Woman /Amen the only good thing in this "medley" is the JD sumner part in the end then he goes deep voice

jurasic1968 wrote:To me the worst is the overlong versions of I Got A Woman/Amen with J.D. Sumner doing twice the dive-bomb routine. I think this started in 1974 and never stopped (one of the exceptions was the opening Las Vegas August 19 1974).

It's SHOWTIME!!!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:34 pm

He should have dumped CC rider after a while. It stayed as the opening song for too many shows, and the boredom is evident on many of them.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:18 am

Patch It Up