Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

HD Tracks release For LP Fans Only in 24/96

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Another release from HD Tracks in 24/96. Sound quality again is superb and there are two extra tracks over the original vinyl release. These are I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Let Me.
Sony to go on about it again but good old Sony have supplied an Electronically reprocessed stereo cover, muppets.

Re: HD Tracks release For LP Fans Only in 24/96

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:27 pm

G-R-E-A-T !!!!

One of my all time Favorite Elvis albums.

Ah, the fabulous fifties ...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:Another release from HD Tracks in 24/96. Sound quality again is superb and there are two extra tracks over the original vinyl release. These are I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Let Me.
Sony to go on about it again but good old Sony have supplied an Electronically reprocessed stereo cover, muppets.

Great news :) How does it sound compared to the same songs on the Complete Masters set?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 am

Too bad they do not sell CDs.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 am

skatterbrane wrote:Too bad they do not sell CDs.

Why would you want an inferior sound carrier??

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 am

Mike DK wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:Another release from HD Tracks in 24/96. Sound quality again is superb and there are two extra tracks over the original vinyl release. These are I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine and Let Me.

Great news :) How does it sound compared to the same songs on the Complete Masters set?

Better as you would expect with the higher resolution

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 am

It's easily the most disappointing of the HDTracks releases so far. The Sun recordings don't even sound as good as Elvis At Sun or the FTD Sun book and the Love Me Tender tracks are not taken from the latest remasters. The rest sound quite good but overall, the sources are VERY questionable. Don't care if it's 16/44 or 24/192. This release doesn't use the best available source.

Don't buy.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 am

clp1093hmv wrote:

I do not do the download thing. It would be great if music was available on BluRay, since DVD-A and SACD will never catch on.

I have a 6000+ CD collection, who in the world has the time to download and store that much music? It takes no time at all to buy a CD online and wait for it to show up in the mail. But to download files in a WAV, FLAC or other lossless format takes a hell of a lot of time with my 3G connection! My entire neighborhood as been upgraded to 20G two years ago except for 3 terminals, and mine is one of them. But even so, the time it would take to redo my entire music collection in this superior format would take time away from actually enjoying the CDs I have. I do not like having more than one format, if I were to go to FLAC, I would end up selling all my CDs once they were ALL replaced by FLAC files. I have never owned 8Track, Cassette or Reel to Reel, I went from SUPERIOR vinyl to CD. Now I have 6000+ CDs, it is going to be very hard to convert to something new at this point in my life.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:38 am

skatterbrane wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:

I do not do the download thing. It would be great if music was available on BluRay, since DVD-A and SACD will never catch on.

I have a 6000+ CD collection, who in the world has the time to download and store that much music? It takes no time at all to buy a CD online and wait for it to show up in the mail. But to download files in a WAV, FLAC or other lossless format takes a hell of a lot of time with my 3G connection! My entire neighborhood as been upgraded to 20G two years ago except for 3 terminals, and mine is one of them. But even so, the time it would take to redo my entire music collection in this superior format would take time away from actually enjoying the CDs I have. I do not like having more than one format, if I were to go to FLAC, I would end up selling all my CDs once they were ALL replaced by FLAC files. I have never owned 8Track, Cassette or Reel to Reel, I went from SUPERIOR vinyl to CD. Now I have 6000+ CDs, it is going to be very hard to convert to something new at this point in my life.

Technically, these downloads may very well be higher spec but I'll always prefer a CD to any download. In any case - MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, Cassette tape or scratchy vinyl, surely it's the music that gives you the enjoyment at the end of the day, regardless of the format...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:36 pm

So how do you guys play these HD files.....will playing them from pc using quality headphones do the trick?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 pm

When In Rome wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:

Technically, these downloads may very well be higher spec but I'll always prefer a CD to any download. In any case - MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, Cassette tape or scratchy vinyl, surely it's the music that gives you the enjoyment at the end of the day, regardless of the format...

Why would you prefer a Cd to a download if the download is demonstrably better? As you say the music is the thing and therefore I am always chasing the best sound I can, for the music, nothing else

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:So how do you guys play these HD files.....will playing them from pc using quality headphones do the trick?

Get hold of something like the Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, plug into a USB port on your PC, plug your headphones into the Dragonfly and you're up and running

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh and I also do not do the headphone thing. I have a $10,000 stereo and if I ever were to download, I would process it through a high quality DAC and play it through my stereo.

Here is a highly rated DAC: http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/m ... twave-dac/

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:Why would you prefer a Cd to a download if the download is demonstrably better? As you say the music is the thing and therefore I am always chasing the best sound I can, for the music, nothing else

Can you hear the difference or do you just know there's a difference though? Are the tracks better 'sounding' than on The Complete Masters? I'll be honest, I'm no audiophile, though I do use apple lossless to import stuff into itunes because I know it's a better format than itunes plus or whatever, I get the whole lossy vs lossless thing, I also back up CD's using flac, but I'll bet I couldn't really tell the difference between a 320kbps and an apple lossless file if I were blindfolded and did an A/B test.
And anyway, I can sell a CD if I'm skint... :mrgreen:
Last edited by When In Rome on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:32 pm

U need to use flac and put on a dvd data disc to backup your files in case you lose the cd or your computer crashes.I think flac files will outlast the cd cause it can get damaged easy.
Cds won't last 100 years like vinyl records have.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:33 pm

U need to use flac and put on a dvd data disc to backup your files in case you lose the cd or your computer crashes.I think flac files will outlast the cd cause it can get damaged easy.
Cds won't last 100 years like vinyl records have.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:48 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Oh and I also do not do the headphone thing. I have a $10,000 stereo and if I ever were to download, I would process it through a high quality DAC and play it through my stereo.

Here is a highly rated DAC: http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/m ... twave-dac/

The guy was asking if he could use headphones and that was what I answered. If you ever do the download thing you will get better results using a dedicated streamer such as the Marantz NA11 or the Linn Akurate.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 pm

When In Rome wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:Why would you prefer a Cd to a download if the download is demonstrably better? As you say the music is the thing and therefore I am always chasing the best sound I can, for the music, nothing else

Can you hear the difference or do you just know there's a difference though? Are the tracks better 'sounding' than on The Complete Masters? I'll be honest, I'm no audiophile, though I do use apple lossless to import stuff into itunes because I know it's a better format than itunes plus or whatever, I get the whole lossy vs lossless thing, I also back up CD's using flac, but I'll bet I couldn't really tell the difference between a 320kbps and an apple lossless file if I were blindfolded and did an A/B test.
And anyway, I can sell a CD if I'm skint... :mrgreen:

Yes I can hear the difference but I have been in the audio business all my working life. If you doubt you can hear the difference visit a decent Hi-Fi shop and get a demonstration.