Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: does anyone have the original vhs tape of elvis in conce

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm

The only other release that would top the TFC version in terms of sound and video quality would be the "Back In Time" release from 2009. Amazing stereo sound.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Clay, that's an awesome story about how you met your wife. I remember those stores across from Graceland. There is still one next door to the Days Inn, but nowhere near as cool as the ones you're talking about. I even remember one being in Germantown, TN back then that had a lot of the stuff you'd never see now. The shops at the plaza are all the same Disney style cookie cutter design. Not intended for us hard core fans. The small businesses were the best (ran by fans), but over the past fifteen years or so, they've been phased and/or forced out by EPE being next door and probably owning the property. It's a real shame.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The only other release that would top the TFC version in terms of sound and video quality would be the "Back In Time" release from 2009. Amazing stereo sound.

Good quality,regarding this release its a shame about the txt/logo on screen during the show.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Winston wrote:Looking at the pictures the tape seems to be very long for the 45min. special. Is there other footage on it?

Pre-recorded cassettes back then were not often "cut to size", so to speak. You could normally look at the bottom edge and see it marked as E120 or E180, not matter what the length of the programme.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Clay wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
lpa wrote:The CBS Special was sold at Graceland on VHS? :shock:

That was exactly my thought... I was at Graceland several times in the early 80's and never saw or heard anything about it... perhaps Jordan might know something about it if it did indeed exist...

From what I've been told, it was sold across the street at one of the then non-EPE "pink shops" (wooden Indian was the name of the shop selling it, IIRC).

I remember those shops fondly. They always had a vast array of books, and other cool stuff that wasn't for sale "officially" across the street. Up until that plaza was bought out by EPE, you could find some real treasures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I miss those original Elvis stores across from Graceland, they were packed with so much cool Elvis stuff, they had a ton of Elvis, everything an Elvis fan could dream of, and at very excellent prices. I bought so much Elvis stuff that I flew back home broke, I was like a kid In a candy store, I just could not believe my eyes at how much all the stores had. I don't like how the Elvis mall is now, its all stuff i could care less about, and the prices are insane now.

A side note, the first Elvis store I went into on my first day in July 1987, there was this beautiful girl by the name of Michelle working there, a very sweet southern girl with long blonde hair, anyway we talked for awhile and then I asked her out for dinner and we spent 2 weeks with each other while I was there, she showed me all over Memphis and brought me home to meet her parents. Well we spent the next 2 years in a long distance relationship, I flew down there many times over those 2 years, and then, we got Married, and we have been together for the past 26 years and we have a boy and a girl together, talk about destiny, Michelle Is mine :D

Lovely story.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Not sure how long it'll be up for but here's a link some might be interested in...

http://vimeo.com/71543468

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 am

You are a lucky fellow, Clay! That's awesome.

The Disney-fied shops are the only real let-down about Graceland in recent years. I was last there at the, end of the century, and it looked like a train station, but still had a bit of charm. Not much, but some. From the videos I have seen of how it looks now, it really seems so different. Very Disney. They do need to remember that even very old home-museums have small, intimate gift shops, but they have just gone whole-hog.

Thanks again, Clay, for the wonderful story of your marriage. You know, I don't remember any of their names from back in the day. I do recall one lady talking about the coming changes, and how sad she was about it. And, from very early, another lady saying "that's not for sale" about quite a few items. I suppose around '84, I might have met Michelle, but I wouldn't remember.

rjm