More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Re: does anyone have the original vhs tape of elvis in conce

Post by TCB-FAN »

elviscollector101 wrote:hello ,

i was checking to see if anyone has the original vhs tape of elvis in concert - cbs special 1977 that was sold at graceland back in the early 80's . please send me a pm if you have this . thanks randall

I heard it's now out of print.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

TCB-FAN wrote:
elviscollector101 wrote:hello ,

i was checking to see if anyone has the original vhs tape of elvis in concert - cbs special 1977 that was sold at graceland back in the early 80's . please send me a pm if you have this . thanks randall

I heard it's now out of print.
That is a shame.

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by memphisound »

I wonder how much the original VHS is worth nowadays, I've never come across it on ebay. Any members here have it in there collection?

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

lpa
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by lpa »

The CBS Special was sold at Graceland on VHS? :shock:

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

lpa wrote:The CBS Special was sold at Graceland on VHS? :shock:
That was exactly my thought... I was at Graceland several times in the early 80's and never saw or heard anything about it... perhaps Jordan might know something about it if it did indeed exist...

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

I recorded my own on Beta though I paused through commercials and many of the embarrassing interviews, as I was taping.

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

elvis-fan wrote:
That was exactly my thought... I was at Graceland several times in the early 80's and never saw or heard anything about it... perhaps Jordan might know something about it if it did indeed exist...
From what I've been told, it was sold across the street at one of the then non-EPE "pink shops" (wooden Indian was the name of the shop selling it, IIRC).

I remember those shops fondly. They always had a vast array of books, and other cool stuff that wasn't for sale "officially" across the street. Up until that plaza was bought out by EPE, you could find some real treasures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

I've got a pre-recorded Betamax that was sold in the late 1970's.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Taped off the TV. Still have it, but haven't played it since . . . 1979, maybe?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

I got this complete original 10/3/77 CBS broadcast Video on my first trip to Graceland in July 1987 at the Elvis Mall across the street from Graceland. The film and sound quality imo is excellent, It still plays great for being 26 years old, the videocassette is made of heavy thick plastic, I have a ton of VHS tapes, but none of them are on such a tough thick cassette.

Why they called It Elvis In Hollywood I have no idea, on the back It states, ELVIS IN CONCERT represents Elvis last concert tour before his untimely death. This was the third of three top rated TV specials Elvis did during his unparalleled career. The other two were "SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS in 1968 and "ALOHA FROM HAWAII" in 1973. As we all know Elvis health was not at its best at this time. But we do know that his incredible voice never failed him..... And then there is the song listings

memphisound
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by memphisound »

Clay wrote:I got this complete original 10/3/77 CBS broadcast Video on my first trip to Graceland in July 1987 at the Elvis Mall across the street from Graceland. The film and sound quality imo is excellent, It still plays great for being 26 years old, the videocassette is made of heavy thick plastic, I have a ton of VHS tapes, but none of them are on such a tough thick cassette.

Why they called It Elvis In Hollywood I have no idea, on the back It states, ELVIS IN CONCERT represents Elvis last concert tour before his untimely death. This was the third of three top rated TV specials Elvis did during his unparalleled career. The other two were "SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS in 1968 and "ALOHA FROM HAWAII" in 1973. As we all know Elvis health was not at its best at this time. But we do know that his incredible voice never failed him..... And then there is the song listings

Thanks for the post very interesting to see, thank you for the photo!

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

Heres 2 more, sorry about the fuzzy pics, but my cell phone camera is not working very good for some reason.

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
From what I've been told, it was sold across the street at one of the then non-EPE "pink shops" (wooden Indian was the name of the shop selling it, IIRC).

I remember those shops fondly. They always had a vast array of books, and other cool stuff that wasn't for sale "officially" across the street. Up until that plaza was bought out by EPE, you could find some real treasures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
I miss those original Elvis stores across from Graceland, they were packed with so much cool Elvis stuff, they had a ton of Elvis, everything an Elvis fan could dream of, and at very excellent prices. I bought so much Elvis stuff that I flew back home broke, I was like a kid In a candy store, I just could not believe my eyes at how much all the stores had. I don't like how the Elvis mall is now, its all stuff i could care less about, and the prices are insane now.

A side note, the first Elvis store I went into on my first day in July 1987, there was this beautiful girl by the name of Michelle working there, a very sweet southern girl with long blonde hair, anyway we talked for awhile and then I asked her out for dinner and we spent 2 weeks with each other while I was there, she showed me all over Memphis and brought me home to meet her parents. Well we spent the next 2 years in a long distance relationship, I flew down there many times over those 2 years, and then, we got Married, and we have been together for the past 26 years and we have a boy and a girl together, talk about destiny, Michelle Is mine :D
Last edited by SUN-RCA on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

Would be a good idea to transfer the tape footage onto a high quality DVD-R before tape rot sets in ....if you haven't done so already.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

TCB-FAN wrote:Would be a good idea to transfer the tape footage onto a high quality DVD-R before tape rot sets in ....if you haven't done so already.
You're right TCB I should, I looked at the tape itself and It looks brand new still, I even compared the tape to some other vhs tape, and i'm no expert, but the CBS tape seems thicker than the other tapes from the look and feel of them, I may be wrong, but It sure looks and feels that way.

The box is showing its age, but the video itself is still in excellent condition and plays great, and I have watched this video many many times over 26 years, It is definitely holding up, you could take this cassette and throw it as hard as you could at the wall or ground, and i bet it would take it, the cassette is that tough and heavy.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Clay, these are really some nice memories. Thanks for sharing! ::rocks

That tape and the cover are really odd, though. :D

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

SUN-RCA

Post by SUN-RCA »

I just looked at the back of the cassette and It was made in Japan, they do make excellent products, maybe that explains the great quality and durability of the tape and cassette.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

The quality on this bootleg tape will be no better than the TFC version?
The definitive version of this show....as of today......is the TFC source with added stereo sound. (EDIT: TFC version is mono but some fan(s)
made a version in stereo using TFC video)
A few years ago I threw a lots of vhs tapes from early 80s that was recorded from the tv.....they all looked awful today.
Original video tapes also looks poor...........
The TFC picture is quite good,all things considering.
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there :D :D :D.
Clay wrote:A side note, the first Elvis store I went into on my first day in July 1987, there was this beautiful girl by the name of Michelle working there, a very sweet southern girl with long blonde hair, anyway we talked for awhile and then I asked her out for dinner and we spent 2 weeks with each other while I was there, she showed me all over Memphis and brought me home to meet her parents. Well we spent the next 2 years in a long distance relationship, I flew down there many times over those 2 years, and then, we got Married, and we have been together for the past 26 years and we have a boy and a girl together, talk about destiny, Michelle Is mine :D
That´s a beautiful story, thanks for sharing! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Winston
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Winston »

Looking at the pictures the tape seems to be very long for the 45min. special. Is there other footage on it?

mmoie

Post by mmoie »

Hi I purchased an Elvis In Concert VHS tape from the UK fan club (Todd Slaughter) some time in the 80's .It stated on the tape that it was directly taken from the BBC .I heard that a huge Elvis fan and collector worked as an editor with the BBC and I got his hands on the tape they had in their archives.
This was the best quality EIC I have ever seen and in stereo and thats including TFC box set.
The really sad thing is it got caught in my video machine and tore the tape to shreds this was another reason DVD is better than VHS
Thanks Regards Matthew

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

mmoie wrote:Hi I purchased an Elvis In Concert VHS tape from the UK fan club (Todd Slaughter) some time in the 80's .It stated on the tape that it was directly taken from the BBC .I heard that a huge Elvis fan and collector worked as an editor with the BBC and I got his hands on the tape they had in their archives.
This was the best quality EIC I have ever seen and in stereo and thats including TFC box set.
I had this tape as well,I really enjoyed it when I got it in the 80s.
I didnt have stereo VHS machine in the 80s but got a JVC one in 1991....sadly this tape was not in stereo.
There was also a dvdr made from this UK tape around 10 years ago that was sold from various fan clubs.
Other issue worth mention is that many Elvis laserdisc/video tape releases from the 80s/90s had "stereo" on the
cover but it was mono sound on them all. (Aloha,TTWII and most OT releases)

BTW:
TFC version is mono but some fan(s) made a version in stereo using TFC video as source and RCA IC cd as audio source,in sync and very well done)

Rob

Post by Rob »

memphisound wrote:Any members here have it in there collection?
I did until about a year ago. Someone here asked about a copy and I gave mine to them.

I don't miss it much.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

I might still have the UK Fan Club tape knocking about somewhere. If not, it's in a skip with all the other hundreds of VHS tapes I dumped when I got rid of the video machine. Does it have any value?

Topic author
TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

The only other release that would top the TFC version in terms of sound and video quality would be the "Back In Time" release from 2009. Amazing stereo sound.

Elvis A. Presley, 1970