Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What was the last consistently great year for Elvis?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

steve in SC wrote:1977, he was always consistently great IMHO.

Yes that was a great year for Elvis

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Vocally 1970 was his best I agree with what someone said in an earlier post.

I would say 1970 or maybe 1971 (a year which it seems we know far less about). In 1972 he was off his t*ts at one of the press conferences, looked rough on Elvis On Tour, his voice was changing for the worse too - although there were some incredibly good moments that year too. But in terms of consistency, 1970 or 1971. Prob 1970.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Rob wrote:Gloom and doom has been running rampant lately.

But mainly from certain "new" posters...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 pm

1969. By far.

He had moments of greatness after that but 1969 was his last consistently great year.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm

minkahed wrote:No offense, but this forum gets beyond ridiculous at times.

Elvis' last great year, are you kidding ?

Your asking us, just humans against humans, opinions, about when we think about was Elvis' last great year.

I mean, who are we to judge, are we of a higher power ?

Last I recall, Elvis Presley was a human being, correct ?

Ask yourself when you think it was Elvis' last greatest year, or better yet, ask yourself when you think your last greatest year was.

My last great year has been so long ago, I could not tell you. But it certainly was before 1977.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:30 am

Kylan wrote:No no mink it was 1952

Well, Kylan, Elvis died when he went into the army, ya know ....

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 am

Impossible to answer! Elvis has great and sad moments every year. He was a human being. :smt102

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23 am

While the decline started slowly in the summer of 1970, it was slow enough to where I enjoy the rest of the year and much of 1971-72. To me 1973 is when it really kicked in.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Without a doubt 1970
Astrodome, 2 great Vegas seasons inc T.T.W.I.I, 1st concert tour of the U.S.A, Great Nashville session & capped off nicely, with a fantastic performance at The White house in December

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:1969. By far.

He had moments of greatness after that but 1969 was his last consistently great year.

Gotta agree here. 1969

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Gloom and doom has been running rampant lately.

I must VEHEMENTLY disagree!

Until we have a thread on how Presley's last consistently great year brought on the "Great Recession" (of the last several to several hundred years [for some]) then as Elvis Scholars we will never be able to fully comprehend how the rise and fall of our global civilization was linked to, yes you guessed it...

Presley's last CONSISTENTLY (that's zero misses dude) BEYOND GREAT, FANTASTIC, TERRIFIC year!

Followed by a thread titled: "How The Lack of Presley's FIRST Consistently Great Year brought on the Great DEPRESSION!"

All in good humor (or a futile attempt at humor, and the resulting lack thereof) folks...

put down the pitchforks and marshmallows

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am

I think I'd go with 1975.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:33 am

Rob wrote:Great aside, the last year that I enjoy listening to his shows consistently is 1975. Beyond that, you may get a bright spot or two, but they are few and far between.

I think that's a fair assessment. It might not be a great year, but it's enjoyable for the most part.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Rob wrote:Great aside, the last year that I enjoy listening to his shows consistently is 1975. Beyond that, you may get a bright spot or two, but they are few and far between.

I think that's a fair assessment. It might not be a great year, but it's enjoyable for the most part.

Agree!~ :D

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:34 am

Clark Gable wrote:What was the last great year, in terms of Elvis' consistency in the quality of his performances, his health, and his physical appearance and level of fitness?

sherrlon12 wrote:I think I'd go with 1975.

Joe Car wrote:1975

elvis1977br wrote:1975

Yeah, it was great how Elvis had to cut his Vegas season short in August of '75 to be hospitalized. 8)

1975 wasn't just "great" for Elvis, but the year was consistently great for Elvis... in the quality of his performances, his health, and his physical appearance and level of fitness! smt190
Last edited by Blue River on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 am

I don't buy that 1969 was the last great year for Elvis to me thats ludicrous. That's saying that After his shows in Hawaii and Memphis in 1961(?) that Elvis was only great again for a July 31st-August 1969 out of all the great stuff from the 1970's. To me I don't see how you couldn't say 1970 was aswell, as 1972 etc. Guess I am just not as hard on Elvis as others. :facep: