Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and his drug addiction ; who tried to help him ?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 pm

hello

all is in the title ....

answer i will join you later 8)

Re: Elvis and his drug addiction ; who tried to help him ?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 pm

tcb4 wrote:hello

all is in the title ....

You go first this time. Please.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Nobody tried to help him.
That's why he died.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Nobody tried to help him.
That's why he died.

I call bull on this.
I've dealt in my own life with people who are addicted, heavily, to prescription medications, to their detriment and to the detriment of those around them. In many cases, they don't care. Or perhaps it's not that they don't care, but they lack the inner strength to confront the issue themselves or make excuses about it or get angry and avoid the issue completely.

Who's to say someone didn't try to confront Elvis, only to be kicked out of his circle or group, or that he simply denied it to them and refused to truly listen?

Or that perhaps people did want to help him, but were afraid of enraging him or hurting his feelings by calling him out on his problems?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 am

That's why he died.

Correction, he wouldn't let anyone help him, that's why he died.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am

Clark Gable wrote:
That's why he died.

I call bull on this.
I've dealt in my own life with people who are addicted, heavily, to prescription medications, to their detriment and to the detriment of those around them. In many cases, they don't care. Or perhaps it's not that they don't care, but they lack the inner strength to confront the issue themselves or make excuses about it or get angry and avoid the issue completely.

Who's to say someone didn't try to confront Elvis, only to be kicked out of his circle or group, or that he simply denied it to them and refused to truly listen?

Or that perhaps people did want to help him, but were afraid of enraging him or hurting his feelings by calling him out on his problems?

Why are you asking inane question after inane question then, "calling people out"?

My opinion is that you really want to stir trouble, like someone similar to your way of writing, has done over the years. For someone who claims to not know anything, your questions seem to me as if you already know the answer. Really, if you are genuine, in this moment in time, grab a book, or perform a Google search which you can do right now. Your questions have been asked so many times before, and these questions, in the past, have always historically, caused arguments. If you want to read arguments, I'm sure you can Google search those, too. My opinion is that that is what you are trying to do.

As someone else said, there is a lot of negativity that comes with these questions and really, everyone here is grown up, and really, not interested in what appears to be, post after post, stirring.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 pm

People did try to help Elvis, Red and Sonny had conversations with him about the drugs and you know what happened there. Billy Smith also tried to talk to him about it but like he said if you pushed too hard you would be gone. What was needed was for the right people to say something and put there foot down either Vernon or Parker. Although Parker said he never interfered with Elvis personal life he should have intervened even it was just for his own financial longevity.
What ever anybody says I think it all comes down to the fact that they buried there head in the sand(Just like Elvis did) and didn't care enough to help.
As for the posts,we have a choice,we either contribute or we skip them,either way it's nothing to get stressed about.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

I tried ...

I prayed everyday as a young kid, after I saw some not so flattering pictures of Elvis in and around '76/'77 and , man, let me tell you, I was crushed.

So, in essence, since I prayed to God every nite before bed that he would help heal Elvis, make him feel and look better.

I was so sincere, and I meant every word.

I guess God didn't help either.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Vernon should have been the one to help, didn't he come down the stairs at Graceland one time and point to a picture from the Aloha special and say something to the effect of how bad Elvis' health was compared to then and blaming others (MM) for it! If he knew then what Elvis was doing to himself he should have acted then instead of saying after Elvis died that he didn't know he did drugs!
Vernon was replaced in his role in the family long before Elvis got famous but seeing the state his only son was in he should have took control and done something about it!
Too me he simply didn't care enough, if my children were in the position that Elvis was in at the end I would have had them in the hospital anyway I could have,the thought of anything happening to them would have been enough for me to act, but what did Vernon do nothing!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:39 pm

minkahed wrote:I tried ...

I prayed everyday as a young kid, after I saw some not so flattering pictures of Elvis in and around '76/'77 and , man, let me tell you, I was crushed.

So, in essence, since I prayed to God every nite before bed that he would help heal Elvis, make him feel and look better.

I was so sincere, and I meant every word.

I guess God didn't help either.

In one way he did and reliefed him from this life of pain and woe.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Not really, what it came down to was that the people who were meant to be watching him weren't! The Stanley's let him down big time, they were meant to be on duty but were off there heads on drugs themselves, I think Ricky said he was stoned out his head in the basement?
And Ginger had took something to make herself sleep so she wouldn't have heard him fall.
For a man who gave so much to the people around him he got very little back.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 pm

tcb4 wrote:hello

all is in the title ....

Another gem!! smt161

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm

The famous words from Dave Hebler 'How can you protect a man from himself?'

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 pm

jacob wrote:Vernon should have been the one to help, didn't he come down the stairs at Graceland one time and point to a picture from the Aloha special and say something to the effect of how bad Elvis' health was compared to then and blaming others (MM) for it! If he knew then what Elvis was doing to himself he should have acted then instead of saying after Elvis died that he didn't know he did drugs!
Vernon was replaced in his role in the family long before Elvis got famous but seeing the state his only son was in he should have took control and done something about it!
Too me he simply didn't care enough, if my children were in the position that Elvis was in at the end I would have had them in the hospital anyway I could have,the thought of anything happening to them would have been enough for me to act, but what did Vernon do nothing!

Vernon wasn't telling the truth when he said he didn't know Elvis had a drug problem. Vernon hired a private investigator or had Elvis 's lawyer Ed Hookstraton find out where Elvis was getting some of the drugs so he was doing something. I guess we'll never know how much Vernon tried to do. I'm sure he talked to him about it and I'm sure he talked to Dr. Nick about it too.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Mountain Misst wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:
That's why he died.

I call bull on this.

Why are you asking inane question after inane question then, "calling people out"?

My opinion is that you really want to stir trouble, like someone similar to your way of writing, has done over the years. For someone who claims to not know anything, your questions seem to me as if you already know the answer. Really, if you are genuine, in this moment in time, grab a book, or perform a Google search which you can do right now. Your questions have been asked so many times before, and these questions, in the past, have always historically, caused arguments. If you want to read arguments, I'm sure you can Google search those, too. My opinion is that that is what you are trying to do.

As someone else said, there is a lot of negativity that comes with these questions and really, everyone here is grown up, and really, not interested in what appears to be, post after post, stirring.

Thank you.

This has been my point since I immediately noticed the similarities between "Clark Gable" posts this past month and those of "Errol Flynn" from about 7 months ago. Although some have given me crap about bringing this to the attention of everyone, this forum deserves better than trolls coming along and causing trouble.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:
That's why he died.

I call bull on this.

Thank you.

This has been my point since I immediately noticed the similarities between "Clark Gable" posts this past month and those of "Errol Flynn" from about 7 months ago. Although some have given me crap about bringing this to the attention of everyone, this forum deserves better than trolls coming along and causing trouble.

You are welcome, I just notice the tone and style of writing from another site I was on some years ago. "Innocent" posts asking questions and then all heck would break loose, the person would leave the conversation and come back and ask another question under another name, yet the answers appeared to be known.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I think in the 70s when the drug problem became out of control, Linda Thompson and most of his MM friends tried to help him but he was in denial and didn't want anybody to tell him what to do! No one can save Elvis unless he wanted help himself.
Last edited by yaso on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 pm

he didnt have addiction

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 pm

I think we have been down this path before in the last 36 years at least once if I am not mistaken. The dead horse has been beaten,

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

We can't say with any certainty who tried to help him and who didn't.

What we know is that everyone around him says they tried to help him but without being there at the time it's impossible to know either way.

Therefore It's impossible to answer.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 am

I know that treatment for drug addiction was in it's infancy during the '70's but I have always wondered if people could be court-ordered to treatment back then. Elvis would never have submitted to treatment voluntarily, and it would have had to last at least a year to be successful. After he got out, then what? Elvis in A.A.? I don't think so! He was doomed, I think. Elvis' story has always seemed to be a tragedy with all the elements in place from the beginning.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:55 am

The only person who could have helped Elvis, was Elvis. Until YOU want to quit alcohol, pills or whatever your addiction may be...YOU have to be the one that say's I'M ready....until then...there's not a damn thing anyone can do...all the AA meetings, interventions won't do ANY good, until YOU are ready.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 am

Mountain Misst wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:
That's why he died.

I call bull on this.

Thank you.

You are welcome, I just notice the tone and style of writing from another site I was on some years ago. "Innocent" posts asking questions and then all heck would break loose, the person would leave the conversation and come back and ask another question under another name, yet the answers appeared to be known.

This is EXACTLY what I am picking up on as well. This "Clark Gable" posts his "questions," disappears, returns to post more "questions" with obvious answers, disappears again. Yet some here have chosen to jump on me as trying to "derail" topics. It never ends.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 am

presleymonroe wrote:he didnt have addiction

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 am

If his mom had lived she would have that's for sure.When did he get heavy into them 60s,70s?