Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Merry Christmas, Love Elvis

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:13 am

On August 27, 2013, Sony Special Products will release "Merry Christmas, Love Elvis."

The tracks are:

1. If Every Day Was Like Christmas
2. Santa Claus Is Back In Town
3. Winter Wonderland
4. Silver Bells
5. Blue Christmas
6. It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You)
7. Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)
8. O Come, All Ye Faithful
9. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day
10. Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees
11. Merry Christmas Baby
12. If I Get Home On Christmas Day

51OwFvidC6L__AA160_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Merry Christmas, Love Elvis

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 am

Beautiful cover.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 am

Nice, thanks for the heads up on this :smt114

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:27 am

A new one every year... keep up the good work!!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:48 am

Seriously, are there really no outtakes for the original album?

I know it's available here, with a diligent search, but perhaps someone could summarize, briefly, what on Earth happened to them?

That sure would be an awesome and beloved FTD, but clearly something unfortunate happened. I just can't recall what.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 am

Get it while you can! :D

Any info on "Merry Christmas Baby"? I assume it's the regular 5:45 album edit.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm

DSCN6210.JPG
DSCN6210.JPG
drjohncarpenter wrote:Beautiful cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:14 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:On August 27, 2013, Sony Special Products will release "Merry Christmas, Love Elvis."

The tracks are:

1. If Every Day Was Like Christmas
2. Santa Claus Is Back In Town
3. Winter Wonderland
4. Silver Bells
5. Blue Christmas
6. It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You)
7. Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)
8. O Come, All Ye Faithful
9. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day
10. Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees
11. Merry Christmas Baby
12. If I Get Home On Christmas Day

51OwFvidC6L__AA160_.jpg

"Love Elvis" ? Seriously ? Lmao ...

And three (3) tracks from the original 1957 release, WoW, things are getting stranger already.

Most likely, another "GOLD" record award in a few years ...

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Totally pointless and a waste of space, time and money. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77829

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 pm

It's probably a reaction to the PD releases. There will be numerous PD Christmas collections that use the '50's masters, which is perhaps why there is an emphasis on the later recordings on this release. That said, this is still an unnecessary compilation.

The best thing Sony could do to compete with the PD titles would be to re-issue "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" at budget price, but it appears that there has to be a new Christmas album every year.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm

rjm wrote:Seriously, are there really no outtakes for the original album?

The reels are apparently lost.

But this CD release is meant for the casual retail customer. Outtakes are not only unnecessary, they are unwanted.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 pm

The constant problem here, again and again, is that these titles "S-E-L-L", and with these type releases, it's not just the hardcore's.

Ernst once said the reason they, (BMG/Sony), release these redundant cd's is they have to keep a fresh title in stores so it stays "fresh", really ?

I can't understand why, for the love of God, the illogical logic of why they don't release one (1) really great release, (1994's, "If Everyday Was Like Christmas), then promote that one watch it sell in great numbers over a period of time.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Why would a 'casual' buyer purchase a short 12 tracker when they could buy one of the other hunfdred or so Elvis Xmas CD's released thru the years with more of the same 20 tracks included???

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Tony.. wrote:Why would a 'casual' buyer purchase a short 12 tracker when they could buy one of the other hunfdred or so Elvis Xmas CD's released thru the years with more of the same 20 tracks included???

This is what I don't understand. In many cases the 'new' compilation is inferior to the older ones, and this title is a good example of this. Surely the better the compilation is, the more chance there is of a casual buyer becoming a fan.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

minkahed wrote:The constant problem here, again and again, is that these titles "S-E-L-L", and with these type releases, it's not just the hardcore's.

Ernst once said the reason they, (BMG/Sony), release these redundant cd's is they have to keep a fresh title in stores so it stays "fresh", really ?

I can't understand why, for the love of God, the illogical logic of why they don't release one (1) really great release, (1994's, "If Everyday Was Like Christmas), then promote that one watch it sell in great numbers over a period of time.

Yes, really.

Although physical retail is dying, new reissues on legacy artists are always better sellers than something that has been on the shelves for a year or more.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:57 pm

I know it's available here, with a diligent search, but perhaps someone could summarize, briefly, what on Earth happened to them?

That sure would be an awesome and beloved FTD, but clearly something unfortunate happened. I just can't recall what.

In 1985, the original 1957 album was restored to mono, and re-released in its original gatefold sleeve - and in green vinyl !!

I remember reading then - I think it was in an "Elvis Monthly" interview with, maybe, Gregg Geller -, that they searched for the original session reels in order to do the restoration, and all they could find was a "master reel" of the album that contained the selected takes of each song. And I remember clearly that he described the reel as being "frozen"-like, so they had to restore the reel itself first in order to be able to use it, and work from there.

Apparently, here's where they found that brief studio chat preceding "White Christmas" - a beautiful bonus, as it was totally unexpected.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 am

Mister Moon wrote:

In 1985, the original 1957 album was restored to mono, and re-released in its original gatefold sleeve - and in green vinyl !!

I remember reading then - I think it was in an "Elvis Monthly" interview with, maybe, Gregg Geller -, that they searched for the original session reels in order to do the restoration, and all they could find was a "master reel" of the album that contained the selected takes of each song. And I remember clearly that he described the reel as being "frozen"-like, so they had to restore the reel itself first in order to be able to use it, and work from there.

Apparently, here's where they found that brief studio chat preceding "White Christmas" - a beautiful bonus, as it was totally unexpected.

Thanks; I hadn't read that interview. I undoubtedly have that album, as I bought them all at the time - all the Christmas albums. "Frozen"? Peculiar. (Kind of ironic - the wording - considering the Christmas theme, but unsettling.) Who was so irresponsible as to let it happen in the first place? What an artistic tragedy. :(

rjm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 am

rjm wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks; I hadn't read that interview. I undoubtedly have that album, as I bought them all at the time - all the Christmas albums. "Frozen"? Peculiar. (Kind of ironic - the wording - considering the Christmas theme, but unsettling.) Who was so irresponsible as to let it happen in the first place? What an artistic tragedy. :(

rjm

I will search for that interview, and I will post it in its entirety when I find it. Thanks !

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:45 am

I was worried Elvis' stunning rendition of Silver Bells wouldn't be included.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:50 am

midnightx wrote:I was worried Elvis' stunning rendition of Silver Bells wouldn't be included.

Oh, but it's not true, It's not true ...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Tony.. wrote:Totally pointless and a waste of space, time and money. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77829

For you and me, yes. Not so for Sony. It will sell this Christmas season and in Christmas seasons to come making them much profit.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:51 am

The cover alone is worth the price!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 am

This CD sells on Amazon for $4.99. Sony can expect a profit from its inclusion in the retail displays of seasonal music. Although this release is not aimed at the hardcore collector, most that I know won't be able to resist adding it to their collection (and complain about it).

MT

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 am

I'm almost surprised that the 1957 album hasn't been paired with the 1971 album for a Legacy release. If Every Day was Like Christmas could have been added, along with Blue Christmas from the 1968 TV special, and Peace in the Valley from the Ed Sullivan show. A handful of outtakes/alt masters could have been added from the 1971 album and the peace the valley EP. It would at least make more sense than this. That puts the number of Sony compilations up to 80 by the end of the year. It's ridiculous.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:00 am

This is one of my all time favorite pictures of Elvis; I remember sharing it with my Elvis friend from Holland and sent it back to me touched up and eye-popping for the new computer age; he had just started this new look to this fabulous site. I guess I will have to get this one for the cover alone like someone else had mentioned. I usually do not purchase the Christmas releases unless something new is included. I hope it has the overdubbed "Merry Christmas Baby" from "This Is Elvis" as I do not have the Cracker Barrel release.