Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What is your Favorite live Elvis Medley

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

norrie wrote:
midnightx wrote:I would expet some fans to assert that the medleys were great if you saw them in person. And if all the stars were aligned, one could even get a scarf during Teddy Bear.

Jeezzo midnightx you seem to be in a bit of a mood today.Do you not like Elvis anymore because it certainly seems that way these days.

He's ok, he just gets this way this time of year, ya know, it's hard for him.

I can betchu right now, he's in his living room, hoppin and skippin, stretchin out his arms, on bended knee, with his homemade white cape, to his personal favorite remix/s of "dive bomb" renditions, "band intros" and those crazy good Live versions of, "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" !!!

I'm serious, no lie, no shame ...

you go boy !!!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Mystery Train/Tiger Man was a very good one, but separate are better. I wonder if Elvis sang these songs separately in the 70's (full versions)

He definitely performed Tiger Man on its own in 1970, see Double Dynamite bootleg:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/ddynamite.html

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 am

norrie wrote:
midnightx wrote:I would expet some fans to assert that the medleys were great if you saw them in person. And if all the stars were aligned, one could even get a scarf during Teddy Bear.

Jeezzo midnightx you seem to be in a bit of a mood today.Do you not like Elvis anymore because it certainly seems that way these days.

Sorry about that remark midnightx.I had a day off work today and took my weekly Tuesday night chill out into extra time and beer and should have kept my big mouth shut :sosorry:

norrie

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:44 am

Sorry, this medley is a classic!

http://youtu.be/XLgUyneO618

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 am

norrie wrote:Sorry about that remark midnightx.I had a day off work today and took my weekly Tuesday night chill out into extra time and beer and should have kept my big mouth shut :sosorry:

I'm betting you hurt his feelings something terrible.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 am

Rob wrote:
norrie wrote:Sorry about that remark midnightx.I had a day off work today and took my weekly Tuesday night chill out into extra time and beer and should have kept my big mouth shut :sosorry:

I'm betting you hurt his feelings something terrible.

I'm betting I didn't but I thought i'd apologise anyway.

norrie

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:13 am

I'm sorry, but you'll NEVER hear me apologize for a damned thing on this board.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:05 am

There's nothing wrong with medleys - they provide audiences with a batch of songs they want to hear, and often free up time elsewhere in the show for a performer to throw in some newer material. Ok, I'll change that slightly: There's nothing wrong with medleys providing they are performed with as much care as the rest of the show. And that is very much the key, here - and it doesn't matter who's performing. Bobby Darin strung together a series of hits as a medley for his 1963 Las Vegas season and it's awful because it's not done in a thoughtful way, and he doesn't appear to give a damn. On the other hand, his Beatles medley from 1971 is hugely ambitious. Johnny Cash often used a medley effectively to end his shows.

The Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel medley was simply there to give Elvis a couple of minutes rest, wasn't it? I'm not saying that's a good thing - quite the opposite. I like the rock n roll medley from Memphis 74. Some don't, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that either. For me, it's performed in a committed way, Elvis seems to be enjoying it, and it's reasonably well put together. Jailhouse Rock doesn't seem to work in that context (Shake rattle and roll might have been a better choice), but still, it's a fun 3 minutes or so. Mystery Train/Tiger Man worked well, before the trombone got over-excited later in the 70s. I don't think the Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel medley worked well in 1969 - the joining of the two songs doesn't make much sense musically, for they have both have a very different feel about them. It's like joining two songs up with a bit of string in the middle, rather than merging them into one, flowing unit. Little Sister/Get Back is quite the opposite - which it would be nice to have heard Elvis sing the verse, the two songs (rather bizarrely) do fit together to form one piece of music with no obvious "join", and this is why the rock n roll medley from Memphis 74 is effective as well.

But let's put the medleys in context. The vast majority of Presley's contemporaries were utilising medleys in their 1970s live shows - it was simply the way it was being done then. Elvis was, for the most part in the 1970s, an "oldies" act. That may seem unfair but, for the most part, his new albums weren't selling in huge numbers, but the live albums did. Why? Well, because they contained his well-known songs on them. Quite how Elvis felt about that, we don't know, but it seems as if he wasn't too committed to spending time and effort recording material that would change that and make him relevant again. Sure, there were hits in the 70s, even big ones like Burning Love, but for the most part his singles sold in decent numbers because of his never-wavering huge fan base, and not because he was seen to be relevant. So, like other oldies acts, from Bobby Darin to Ricky Nelson to Neil Sedaka, medleys were an essential part of the show. What seems cheesy or kitsch about them to us today, probably didn't seem that way at the time - and we certainly weren't meant to be able to listen to literally hundreds of renditions of them.