Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What is your Favorite live Elvis Medley

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Medleys were cool years, many years ago ...

They were?

Pre rock and roll perhaps!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 pm

The only Elvis medley I ever liked was the "hits" medley done for the '68 TV special.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 am

Rob wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Medley.

If only you could have used that word in your earlier post.

I'm trying my best to keep you from looking like a jerkweed, but you just keep doing it and don't seem to mind.

And you are a little jerkweed who gets wound up easily. You are not saving me from any embarrassment at all because i don't worry about people like you! Is your surname "the knob" by any chance?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:12 am

jungleroombear wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm not a fan of melodies either. "Little Sister/Get Back" melody never worked....

I just listened to some TTWII on Youtube and the versions there really rock. Maybe you only listened to sh*t versions that no-one else has heard much? Or maybe you just never heard this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYHlPmI ... Lz4Ipw677U

Not as good as some but it's still great live rock n' roll and no way should it be described as "never worked".

I've heard them all and they still "don't work". "Get Back" is a mind-blowing track, it's a Rock'n'Roll song. Great melody and lyrics! And it's always best to do the song all the way through. This song would have suited Elvis fine, as i say, it's R'n'R and it's in the key of "A". A key he was always comfortable with. But to sing "get back to where you once belonged" over and over and over again without any of the other lyrics is a bit amateurish. And he chose to sing it at the end of one of his all time classic rockers "Little Sister", nah, don't work!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm in the camp that believes these post-1970 medleys were a quick and easy way for Elvis to dismiss the songs in his set he felt he "had" to do. None of these brilliant, classic recordings get their due in his rushed, careless performances of them in a medley.

Legendary bass player Emory Gordy, Jr. took over for Jerry Scheff with the first Presley tour of 1973, on April 22 in Phoenix, and he only stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after less than half a year was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example, the shoving of Presley's rock classics into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory sadly remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

No doubt Gordy knew a thing or two about making great music. And from his view it wasn't happening on stage with Elvis.

No doubt Emory Gordy was a talented musician, but throughout the years, I've known literally hundreds of more talented musicians that can virtually play any kind of music in any genre, play in clubs, big halls, stadiums, etc etc ... Just because they weren't "big" names and played "medleys" in their set/s, disqualifies their talent ?

Nah ...

Let's also put some perspective to this debate, what Elvis was doing/performing on stage in the 1970's, is what he carried over from his "Vegas" show. For Elvis, I honestly believe, it was, "Entertainment" by then, and that's how he perceived his concerts to be.

Now, with that said, I like some Elvis medleys, in some instances they worked and served their purpose, but that's not to say I always like them or prefer them.

Would I have liked Elvis to do a 5 minute version of "Hound Dog" in the 70's ? maybe ... maybe not ... well, sure, as long as James got to do a ripping solo attached to it, but what's done is done.

I'm definitely not a fan of any version of "Hound Dog" passed 1974, certainly not of any "Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel" shuffles of any atrocious '76/'77 versions.

I'm sure they, (TCB Band), Charlie Hodge, what have you, could have made suggestions to Elvis back then, but, apparently, no one did.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:40 am

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm in the camp that believes these post-1970 medleys were a quick and easy way for Elvis to dismiss the songs in his set he felt he "had" to do. None of these brilliant, classic recordings get their due in his rushed, careless performances of them in a medley.

Legendary bass player Emory Gordy, Jr. took over for Jerry Scheff with the first Presley tour of 1973, on April 22 in Phoenix, and he only stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after less than half a year was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example, the shoving of Presley's rock classics into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory sadly remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

No doubt Gordy knew a thing or two about making great music. And from his view it wasn't happening on stage with Elvis.

No doubt Emory Gordy was a talented musician, but throughout the years, I've known literally hundreds of more talented musicians that can virtually play any kind of music in any genre, play in clubs, big halls, stadiums, etc etc ... Just because they weren't "big" names and played "medleys" in their set/s, disqualifies their talent ?

Nah ...

Let's also put some perspective to this debate, what Elvis was doing/performing on stage in the 1970's, is what he carried over from his "Vegas" show. For Elvis, I honestly believe, it was, "Entertainment" by then, and that's how he perceived his concerts to be.

Now, with that said, I like some Elvis medleys, in some instances they worked and served their purpose, but that's not to say I always like them or prefer them.

Would I have liked Elvis to do a 5 minute version of "Hound Dog" in the 70's ? maybe ... maybe not ... well, sure, as long as James got to do a ripping solo attached to it, but what's done is done.

I'm definitely not a fan of any version of "Hound Dog" passed 1974, certainly not of any "Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel" shuffles of any atrocious '76/'77 versions.

I'm sure they, (TCB Band), Charlie Hodge, what have you, could have made suggestions to Elvis back then, but, apparently, no one did.

I agree and the last time I checked, it wasn't the Emory Gordy show, it was the Elvis Presley show. He was paid to play bass, not write the set list.

My favorite medley is the Mystery Train / Tiger Man medley on the second disc of the TTWII special edition.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

I like the Rock'n'Roll Medley as mentioned in the initial post very, very much. It's pretty cool.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:32 am

The Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes Of Texas :smt007

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Medleys were cool years, many years ago ...

They were?

Pre rock and roll perhaps!

You might be right, I remember many medleys in the tv shows by Sinatra, Crosby, Martin with important guests. Also during the timex special Elvis and Frank did a medley when singing together - and that was a special moment of the show I suppose.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm not a fan of melodies either. "Little Sister/Get Back" melody never worked....

I just listened to some TTWII on Youtube and the versions there really rock. Maybe you only listened to sh*t versions that no-one else has heard much? Or maybe you just never heard this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYHlPmI ... Lz4Ipw677U

Not as good as some but it's still great live rock n' roll and no way should it be described as "never worked".

I've heard them all and they still "don't work". "Get Back" is a mind-blowing track, it's a Rock'n'Roll song. Great melody and lyrics! And it's always best to do the song all the way through. This song would have suited Elvis fine, as i say, it's R'n'R and it's in the key of "A". A key he was always comfortable with. But to sing "get back to where you once belonged" over and over and over again without any of the other lyrics is a bit amateurish. And he chose to sing it at the end of one of his all time classic rockers "Little Sister", nah, don't work!

Maybe Elvis didn't like the other lyrics but it's more likely that he couldn't be bothered learning them and just went with what he knew, just like with his own hits. And there's nothing amateurish about it... it can't be easy to make it sound so easy.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:i don't worry about people like you!

Oh, yes you do.

You're worried right now.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Mystery Train/Tiger Man is the only one that really worked, well, before Joe Guercio got a hold of it anyway.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Matthew wrote:Mystery Train/Tiger Man is the only one that really worked, well, before Joe Guercio got a hold of it anyway.

Yes, later versions were ruined (in part) by his input.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Matthew wrote:Mystery Train/Tiger Man is the only one that really worked, well, before Joe Guercio got a hold of it anyway.

I suppose, Mystery Train/Tiger Man went together well because they both have the same rhythm pattern. As you say, when Guercio came in, forget it. I would still prefer them to be sung separately though.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Rob wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:i don't worry about people like you!

Oh, yes you do.

You're worried right now.

Get over it!!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Lennart wrote:The medleys were usually not very exciting and just as some of you have said, Elvis wanted them done quickly so he could get on with his show and do the songs he really cared for.
However there are exceptions and Mystery Train/Tiger Man definately belongs to that category, it really rocks.
Just take a listen to the last FTD release Hot August Night, that´s Rock´n Roll, always loved that version.
There are other great versions of MT/TM aswell so medleys could work if it was done properly but usually they were more or less throwaways.

Lennart

I agree with you, Lennart. As late as 1975 (silver box version), Elvis treated this medley with some kind of respect. James Burton is really on fire on that particular version too. I know that we´re talking live medleys here, but the gospel medley from NBC TV special kicks serious ass.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:50 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Get over it!!

Nope.

You're worried.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Mystery Train/Tiger Man was a very good one, but separate are better. I wonder if Elvis sang these songs separately in the 70's (full versions)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

was it during the 1957 Ed Sullivan show that he started using medley to do his hits?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm

The best version of Mystery Train / Tiger Man, Imo

From the 1969 double LP Album LSP-6020 From Memphis to Vegas/ From Vegas to Memphis.

phpBB [video]

AND THIS VERSION ALSO KICKS ASS FROM TTWII 1970
phpBB [video]

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Mystery Train / Tiger Man
Little Sister / Get Back

And one outside the box:

Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On' / All Shook Up / Blue Suede Shoes / Don't Be Cruel / Blue Suede Shoes ( September 12, 1970)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:43 am

phpBB [video]

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 am

ranskal wrote:My favorite medley is the Mystery Train / Tiger Man medley on the second disc of the TTWII special edition.

+1

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 am

I would expet some fans to assert that the medleys were great if you saw them in person. And if all the stars were aligned, one could even get a scarf during Teddy Bear.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 am

midnightx wrote:I would expet some fans to assert that the medleys were great if you saw them in person. And if all the stars were aligned, one could even get a scarf during Teddy Bear.

Jeezzo midnightx you seem to be in a bit of a mood today.Do you not like Elvis anymore because it certainly seems that way these days.