Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Last edited by SUN-RCA on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What is your Favorite live Elvis Medley

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

My Boy/The Last Farewell/We Had It All/Feelings... from a '76 concert. Best ever.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:My Boy/The Last Farewell/We Had It All/Feelings... from a '76 concert. Best ever.

I have never heard or knew Elvis sang "We Had It All and Feelings", did Elvis do both songs complete, because We had it all is an awesome song, where can I find that recording TCB, thanks.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Clay wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:My Boy/The Last Farewell/We Had It All/Feelings... from a '76 concert. Best ever.

I have never heard or knew Elvis sang "We Had It All and Feelings", did Elvis do both songs complete, because We had it all is an awesome song, where can I find that recording TCB, thanks.

He didn't, TCB-Fan is pulling your leg.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I never was a fan of any Elvis medley. Let's either sing the entire song or leave it alone.

I have heard some pretty good ones from other artists, though.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Rob wrote:I never was a fan of any Elvis medley. Let's either sing the entire song or leave it alone.

I have heard some pretty good ones from other artists, though.

Hey, some of the meledy's from the early 1974 shows are pretty legit, like from the Memphis concert etc.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:25 pm

At the very least, Jailhouse Rock and Hound Dog deserved to be performed by themselves. To this fan, putting them in a medley such as this is worse than the throwaway treatment they received for most of the '70s.

Nope, never really got into the medley thing.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Rob wrote:At the very least, Jailhouse Rock and Hound Dog deserved to be performed by themselves. To this fan, putting them in a medley such as this is worse than the throwaway treatment they received for most of the '70s.

Nope, never really got into the medley thing.

True to an extent but I would take the 74' Melody of Jailhouse Rock/Hound Dog to the stand alones done in 1977!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm

You might have me there.

I'll get back with you.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm not a fan of melodies either. "Little Sister/Get Back" melody never worked....

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm not a fan of melodies either. "Little Sister/Get Back" melody never worked....

Oh, I love a good melody.

It's a medley that I'm not a fan of.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

memphisound wrote:
Clay wrote:

He didn't, TCB-Fan is pulling your leg.

Darn that TCB-FAN, getting me All Shook Up in hoping this was true :cry:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Rob wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm not a fan of melodies either. "Little Sister/Get Back" melody never worked....

Are you a fan of Bill Medley? :wink:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:15 pm

If Mystery Train/Tiger Man qualifies as a medley, and I'm sure it does, then that is the winner right there.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Rob wrote:

Me neither.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Joe Car wrote:Are you a fan of Bill Medley? :wink:

Yes, mysterytrainrideson and I do like Bill Melody.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Rob wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Are you a fan of Bill Medley? :wink:

Yes, mysterytrainrideson and I do like Bill Melody.

Medley.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

I just listened to some TTWII on Youtube and the versions there really rock. Maybe you only listened to sh*t versions that no-one else has heard much? Or maybe you just never heard this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYHlPmI ... Lz4Ipw677U

Not as good as some but it's still great live rock n' roll and no way should it be described as "never worked".

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Medley.

If only you could have used that word in your earlier post.

I'm trying my best to keep you from looking like a jerkweed, but you just keep doing it and don't seem to mind.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 pm

I don't mind the Walk A Mile In My Shoes / In The Ghetto medley performed during the Winter 1970 Las Vegas engagement... and Mystery Train / Tiger Man performed in 1969 was done quite well (as Robert has indicated).

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm in the camp that believes these post-1970 medleys were a quick and easy way for Elvis to dismiss the songs in his set he felt he "had" to do. None of these brilliant, classic recordings get their due in his rushed, careless performances of them in a medley.

Legendary bass player Emory Gordy, Jr. took over for Jerry Scheff with the first Presley tour of 1973, on April 22 in Phoenix, and he only stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after less than half a year was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example, the shoving of Presley's rock classics into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory sadly remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

No doubt Gordy knew a thing or two about making great music. And from his view it wasn't happening on stage with Elvis.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm

The medleys were usually not very exciting and just as some of you have said, Elvis wanted them done quickly so he could get on with his show and do the songs he really cared for.
However there are exceptions and Mystery Train/Tiger Man definately belongs to that category, it really rocks.
Just take a listen to the last FTD release Hot August Night, that´s Rock´n Roll, always loved that version.
There are other great versions of MT/TM aswell so medleys could work if it was done properly but usually they were more or less throwaways.

Lennart

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Medleys are laziness, a way of getting some songs over with without having to sing the whole thing. They dont work (IMO) and do not do any songs justice. I'm talking about any artists here, not just Elvis. However since Mystery Train/Tiger Man and Walk a Mile/In The Ghetto were sort of tied together in a medley, but also done completely, do they qualify? If so, they win out.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Medleys were cool years, many years ago, now the taste has changed so they are not so easy to find - but are still performed once in a while. Personally I don't like the medley concept.

I think the one that worked better for Elvis were "shake rattle and roll / flip flop and fly" (in the 50s) and "Mystery train / tiger man" in the 70s. Also liked Long Tall Sally" / "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Fabbe wrote:Medleys were cool years, many years ago ...

They were?