Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Unchained Melody

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:59 am

latebloomer wrote:Not my day! I thought I had posted this question, but can't find it, so, if it's a duplicate, my apologies:

Can anyone list the several dates and places that Elvis sang "Unchained Melody"? I know it was on "Moody Blue", but did he record it in a studio? If so, where and when, please?

I've looked for answers myself, but remain a few performances short of the full list, I think. If you can help, I will be very grateful.

Many thanks,

No elvis didnt record a studio version of unchained melody

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 am

latebloomer wrote:Not my day! I thought I had posted this question, but can't find it, so, if it's a duplicate, my apologies:

Can anyone list the several dates and places that Elvis sang "Unchained Melody"? I know it was on "Moody Blue", but did he record it in a studio? If so, where and when, please?

I've looked for answers myself, but remain a few performances short of the full list, I think. If you can help, I will be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Elvis would have probably performed this in your home town in August '77;)

The recording on Moody Blue was recorded in Ann Arbor, one of the few great shows in 1977!
The full list where Elvis performed this song is on the concert data base on the elvisconcerts website: 16 shows.

Cheers

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:34 am

There ya go:
UNCHAINED MELODY

From elvisconcerts.com

EDIT: Robert beat me to it.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:42 am

This is your duplicate posting -- see my full reply to all your queries on the original topic -->
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78616&p1202866#p1202866

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:05 am

Best live version hands down for me goes to Unchained Melody, guess its more of an emotional performance, watching him aswell as hearing it just strikes a nerve.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This is your duplicate posting -- see my full reply to all your queries on the original topic -->
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78616&p1202866#p1202866

In response your post on the duplicate thread:

It would be amazing to hear Elvis pre "Vegas voice" singing "Unchained Melody" with only his own piano accompaniment. I rarely play the "what if" game but how awesome would it have been if he cut a copy of this at either the Elvis is Back or Elvis in Memphis sessions?

I love the release versions for what they are because even with the vegas voice he still pores his soul into the song but the idea of hearing the home recordings brings chills....

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 am

jonesELfan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It would be amazing to hear Elvis pre "Vegas voice" singing "Unchained Melody" with only his own piano accompaniment. I rarely play the "what if" game but how awesome would it have been if he cut a copy of this at either the Elvis is Back or Elvis in Memphis sessions?

I love the release versions for what they are because even with the vegas voice he still pores his soul into the song but the idea of hearing the home recordings brings chills....

Nice comments. Do note that this is the duplicate thread, the other came first.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jonesELfan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nice comments. Do note that this is the duplicate thread, the other came first.

Awesome! I flipped back and forth between the two and posted in the wrong one...is there anyway for a mod to merge the threads?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 pm

jonesELfan wrote:Awesome! I flipped back and forth between the two and posted in the wrong one...is there anyway for a mod to merge the threads?

Yeah, just send them a PM.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

It seems the other one is gone, so I can't read what you wrote.

It says the topic doesn't exist. I will check in the full browser. But the links usually work here.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 am

rjm wrote:It seems the other one is gone, so I can't read what you wrote.

It says the topic doesn't exist. I will check in the full browser. But the links usually work here.

It's there:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78616

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Elvis would have probably performed this in your home town in August '77;)

The recording on Moody Blue was recorded in Ann Arbor, one of the few great shows in 1977!
The full list where Elvis performed this song is on the concert data base on the elvisconcerts website: 16 shows.

Hi, Robert,

Less than two weeks before I posted my question, one of my neighbors (and a very dear friend) astonished me by telling me that he had gotten tickets for the show here in Lexington, which, of course, never took place. I wouldn't have seen it even if it had, because I was in Columbus, Georgia, trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

The afternoon that Elvis' death was announced, I had just pulled into the driveway of Mother's yard. The announcement was followed by a recording of Love Me Tender", and, although I was not then the fan I have since become, I thought my heart would break, and sat in my car raining tars until the song ended. When I went inside, Mother was sitting in her livingroom, also awash in tears; she was listening to the same radio station I had heard in my car. Unbeknownst to me, she had become a devoted fan of his gospel music, and looked up at me, still pouring tears, and asked piteously, "Do you think anyone ever did love him tenderly?" I could not manage a single word.

Somehow I missed connecting the Moody Blue verson to the Ann Arbor version; thanks for setting me straight.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 pm

Folks, thank you all. My apologies for taking so long to read all of your comments; we've been a bit under siege at our house this month.

As usual, you've com up with the answers, furnished other sources, then discussed the elements of the various performances and rcordings so that I know a lot more than I did when I asked in the first place, especally about how Elvis handled that particular piece of music. As usual, you're amazing!

I'm certain I haven't heard all of the recordings of 'Unchained Melody", but one things stands out during each of those I have heard: I can almost feel the tension in his audiences. He was not well for some of '76 and most of '77, and that was a most ambitious song for any singer to undertake, especially while accompanying himself on the piano. At Ann Arbor, I think the silence was from absolute rapture; at many of the other performances, I think the audience must have been holding their collective breath, literally willing him to get through the song successfully. True, some of the performaces are pure gold, some are simply miraculous (considering Elvis' general state of health), but all are stunning. He simply had no equal.

I agree, we wuz robbed; too bad he never did a recording of that gorgeous song in the '60s.

Again, thanks, everyone!!

[I posted my thanks onthe duplicate thread, also, and apologize, again, for the duplication.]