Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: For older fans: When did you become concerned?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:56 pm

r&b wrote:Elvis really should have fired his ass.

And the rest of him, too!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm

2kd wrote:If there is any truth to what Larry Gellar says, and he's a strange bird for sure, Parker was nothing less than a tyrant.

If that indeed was the case, it was because Elvis allowed him to be.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:42 pm

The part that's interesting to me is where Geller says that Elvis said that Vernon hated the Colonel. I always thought one of the main reasons Elvis stayed with the Colonel was because Vernon liked him and trusted him and was afraid to get rid of him. Now I guess Vernon could of hated him but was still afraid to get rid of him.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:37 pm

2kd wrote:Tom Parker was involved in too much of Elvis's life. Everything from his personal relationships, to friendships. But the one thing he should have been most concerned with, Elvis's health and wellbeing, that seemed to be of no concern at all to Parker. The man was just wringing out every last drop of blood, sweat and tears. Again, my opinion, but Parker was so wrapped up in his own life and his gambling issues that he just waited for the next dollar to be made. His behavior was shameful and disgusting. If there is any truth to what Larry Gellar says, and he's a strange bird for sure, Parker was nothing less than a tyrant.

Elvis' Las vegas engagements were shortened. That bad doctor Elias whatever his name was dismissed. Elvis was off from October 1974 until March 1975. The Colonel did attempt to help. but what could really be done to stop drug addiction?? the only thing was Elvis agreeing to get help.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:40 pm

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:some friends and family of mine saw Elvis in concert in 1975. They had a great time. they noticed he was overweight but that did not concern them because he was 40 years old. its natural for people to have gained weight by that age. after 30 years old it gets harder to keep the weight off unless you have great genes or did 100 situps a day. they said there was no signs of drug use. he was in a great mood with clear speech and sang great. they were shocked when he died. its was not until the cbs special that they realized how sick he was in 1977. People have to remember that things were different back then. you were not getting constant news updates on him. like u would today.

Being 40 is no excuse to be overweight. In fact most people I know over 50 (including me) are in better shape now than when I knew them in their 20's. Besides look at some celebs in their 50s, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, George Clooney, etc. The list goes on & on. Elvis was lazy and got out of shape because of his diet and lifestyle. His idea of losing poundage was to take diet pills, but I guess he didn't do that anymore after 1975.

Again, its a different time now. living a healthy lifestyle is promoted hard now. there are fitness clubs all over the place. u cant compare now to then. Hell there are rehab places now. there weren't any than. and celebrity image is way different now. drugs and living a reckless lifestyle was accepted back then. its not now. hell back in Elvis's day 40 was considered OLD. its not now. its not a big deal now when a celeb turns 40. hell, its not even mentioned. different time.

By the way. go tell the 40 year old people walking down the street that have a paunch how lazy they are.

Yes its a different time, but even back then it was known not to eat foods fried in butter and have a lot of sugar. Who were these geniuses surrounding the biggest star in the world?

Have u ever had southern cooking???? i have friends that live down south and the stuff Elvis ate back then was normal southern cooking. The peanut and banana sandwich thing has been overblown though. friends have said he didn't eat that much.

Yes but Elvis also gorged on a lot of ice cream, pizza, burnt bacon, loads of Pepsi, etc. There is Southern cooking and then there is Elvis' diet, BTW, Mississippi & Alabama are the 2 unhealthiest states in the nation. I guess things havent changed much.

Elvis always liked to eat. even in the 60's. but when u get to be of a certain age it catches up to. for the the most part Elvis' diet was southern cooking.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

DEH wrote:some friends and family of mine saw Elvis in concert in 1975. They had a great time. they noticed he was overweight but that did not concern them because he was 40 years old. its natural for people to have gained weight by that age. after 30 years old it gets harder to keep the weight off unless you have great genes or did 100 situps a day. they said there was no signs of drug use. he was in a great mood with clear speech and sang great. they were shocked when he died. its was not until the cbs special that they realized how sick he was in 1977. People have to remember that things were different back then. you were not getting constant news updates on him. like u would today.

DEH wrote:Again, its a different time now. living a healthy lifestyle is promoted hard now. there are fitness clubs all over the place. u cant compare now to then. Hell there are rehab places now. there weren't any than. and celebrity image is way different now. drugs and living a reckless lifestyle was accepted back then. its not now. hell back in Elvis's day 40 was considered OLD. its not now. its not a big deal now when a celeb turns 40. hell, its not even mentioned. different time.

By the way. go tell the 40 year old people walking down the street that have a paunch how lazy they are.

DEH wrote:Have u ever had southern cooking???? i have friends that live down south and the stuff Elvis ate back then was normal southern cooking. The peanut and banana sandwich thing has been overblown though. friends have said he didn't eat that much.

DEH wrote:Elvis always liked to eat. even in the 60's. but when u get to be of a certain age it catches up to. for the the most part Elvis' diet was southern cooking.

Is there ever a moment where you stop and think, "Hey, maybe I am a little too close to Elvis to make a fair evaluation of his career and life choices"? I mean, he's been gone 36 years now. You can let it go. ;-)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 pm

My cousin who was a great fan of Elvis, said she began to be alarmed after Elvis on tour 1972, but after she attended one of his concerts September 1974, she knew something was wrong with him.
Last edited by yaso on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
elmonstro wrote:

I'm Irish but my wife is Scottish and I've lived here for years. The diet in Scotland is horrendous - it's not great in Ireland either to be honest, at least among older people but even I was shocked at what they eat here. People joke about Scotland's deep fried chocolate bars but I've seen them with my own wide eyes. Deep fried pizza anyone? To paraphrase the great Alan Partridge "Cholesterol! Scottish people eat it, they don't see a day over sixty".

Top of the morning to you!! :D (I love that saying, lol).

Thank you for your reply. My friends who visited Scotland love it, and are going to return (I'd LOVE to visit, myself) however, they said that there isn't anything to eat there that is healthy. Good strong Scottish genes, but they eat so badly, as used to be the case with anything British. Of course, the British settled in the South; hence, the history: "The vast majority of 18th century settlers were English or of primarily English descent but nearly 20% of them were also Scotch-Irish."

I gather, the above would be the back-ground for the menu for people from the American South, still ice-cream is yummy and most men love bacon. :D

Our diet isn't all bad, after all we have McDonalds, Burgher King and KFC to enjoy. :D

LOL :D

You have all that scenery - wow!!! :D

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 am

My great Aunt got alarmed around 1972. She thought he was becoming one of those dirty, long hair hippies smoking the dope! :wink:

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:27 am

eligain wrote:My great Aunt got alarmed around 1972. She thought he was becoming one of those dirty, long hair hippies smoking the dope! :wink:

With the wink, I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'd sure love a tape recording of anyone saying that back then! Love it! :lol:

rjm

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 am

Just a few months before he died, (I think it was) Star Magazine ran the pictures from Florida (you know the ones in the Indian suit). I was shock because he really seem to be pulling his self together. In Dayton in Oct he looked great, and reports about the News year eve concert in Pittsburgh were very positive. I never really though he was in serious trouble, he had been down before, I was convinced he would pull himself together (given time I think he would have) . In Cincinatti he looked a little thick around the waist, but gave a great show. His death was a complete shock,.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:
elmonstro wrote:

I'm Irish but my wife is Scottish and I've lived here for years. The diet in Scotland is horrendous - it's not great in Ireland either to be honest, at least among older people but even I was shocked at what they eat here. People joke about Scotland's deep fried chocolate bars but I've seen them with my own wide eyes. Deep fried pizza anyone? To paraphrase the great Alan Partridge "Cholesterol! Scottish people eat it, they don't see a day over sixty".

Top of the morning to you!! :D (I love that saying, lol).

Thank you for your reply. My friends who visited Scotland love it, and are going to return (I'd LOVE to visit, myself) however, they said that there isn't anything to eat there that is healthy. Good strong Scottish genes, but they eat so badly, as used to be the case with anything British. Of course, the British settled in the South; hence, the history: "The vast majority of 18th century settlers were English or of primarily English descent but nearly 20% of them were also Scotch-Irish."

I gather, the above would be the back-ground for the menu for people from the American South, still ice-cream is yummy and most men love bacon. :D

Our diet isn't all bad, after all we have McDonalds, Burgher King and KFC to enjoy. :D

Sounds like a main street in my home town where all three facilities are located within a couple of hundred meters... :lol: :?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 am

rjm wrote:
eligain wrote:My great Aunt got alarmed around 1972. She thought he was becoming one of those dirty, long hair hippies smoking the dope! :wink:

With the wink, I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'd sure love a tape recording of anyone saying that back then! Love it! :lol:

rjm

I gave the wink because I thought it was funny but she was totally serious. I heard her say it after seeing a picture of him with long hair in one of the movie magazines around 1972.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:59 pm

every time Elvis "re-invented" himself, it concerned me (I've been a fan since 1964 when i was just a kid, sitting in one of those old movie palaces watching ROUSTABOUT). When he went from that young hip rebel rock n roller to movie star, then from movie star back to his roots in the 68 COMEBACK, then to his long hair and flashy jumpsuits in 1973 ALOHA, it seemed to be an unnatural progression toward the end of his career. Even as a kid, i realized that singers/actors and the Hollywood set were just running their careers into the ground and the public would tire of them eventually and they would one day disappear from the spotlight. I didn't think that because Elvis was "the king"...he would escape that fate.
I often said to myself "this will happen to Elvis", but I NEVER....EVER expected him to be dead at the age of 42 ! SHOCKER !
My first real hint that he was in deep trouble, physically, was when i saw the New Years Eve photos from 1975 from Pontiac in an Elvis magazine. My first impression: Is that really Elvis? Strange hairstyle, tired written all over his face and expanding waistline definitely had me pushing the panic button. Some fans were so convinced that Elvis needed a rest, that talk at that time was that the Colonel had sent Elvis into hiding to rest and was replaced by a look-alike (which would have explained the strained voice and bloated appearance nicely...if true).
During the first part of 1976, no news on Elvis anywhere. He was ALWAYS in the news...what's going on?
Then i had the chance to see Elvis live in Providence, RI June 26,1976 2:30 pm show.
He hit the stage in the blue prehistoric bird jumpsuit and all i could say, after the initial shock of actually seeing Elvis "live in person" was "Is that Elvis?" He looked nothing like Elvis. Sad and a little disappointing to say the least. But his voice was very very powerful in that building and you can tell that he still "had it" vocally.
Anyone listening to an Elvis recording today can not even get the slightest sense how powerful Elvis' voice was in those arenas where he played. That power has never been fully captured on an Elvis recording.
I have to admit, even as an Elvis fan, i began to lose interest in him after that. Didn't buy any records, heard "Moody Blue" on the radio occasionally but never really went Elvis crazy like before. I think that Elvis was beginning to lose his "general public" fan base and only the diehards were sticking with him...hoping that he would eventually pull out of his slump.
I didn't come back around to the Elvis world until the early 1990's because the 1980's Joan Deary era was unforgivably terrible. Nothing new in Elvis recordings...just re-issue after re-issue.
It absolutely shocks the hell out of me that Elvis has experienced this incredible resurge in his popularity.
One regret.....
He isn't here to enjoy it. :smt022