Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

For older fans: When did you become concerned?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:47 pm

For the older fans here--fans who were say teenagers or older in the 1970s--around what year, what time, did you begin to become concerned about Elvis' health, his appearance, etc?

Also, before Elvis died, was his use of prescription medications known (or at least rumored about) amongst hard core fans? What I'm trying to say is, did anyone here who was around back then, say in 1975, 1976, etc have any idea or any suspicions that something wasn't right?

Re: For older fans: When did you become concerned?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:12 pm

I became concerned around the time I saw "Elvis On Tour" in '72. Yes, it was known, rumored, suspected that something wasn't right by then (and earlier).

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 pm

His death came as an unexpected shock here, despite the excerpts of "Elvis what happened" published in the rags.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I was ignorant. I did not know that Elvis took a single pill until I read "What Happened" and I was shocked. I led a life without alcohol, tobacco or drugs all my life partially due to that is what I THOUGHT Elvis did! (I had other reasons of course). I just did not read tabloids or news articles about Elvis. I still care much less about his personal life than I do his music even today.

I became concerned about his music/voice in 1971. Elvis Now was the last straw and I did not buy any more of his records until I took a chance at EP Boulevard. I still think Elvis Country was his last good album.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:25 pm

skatterbrane wrote: Elvis Now was the last straw and I did not buy any more of his records until I took a chance at EP Boulevard.

Didn't you at least buy a few singles during that time... Burning Love, Separate Ways, Promised Land, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, etc. ?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Being born in 1945 I was a fan from the beginning. I new nothing about medication or drugs until after his death. Around 1975 I did wonder why he didn't seem to be doing much professionally, nothing major had happened since Aloha over two years before. ( Of course he was touring the US constantly but I didn't hear much of this )

Around this time pictures of his bloated appearance started to be seen here in the UK, and the papers were full of him being "fat and 40" and staying in his upstairs rooms at Graceland for days on end. Also I had said to my sister that I didn't think that he would make old age, and that he would probably be dead at 50.

Nonetheless when he did die it came as a complete shock, a few weeks after they showed 'Elvis in Concert' on TV. The photos that I had seen hadn't prepared me for his grotesque appearance and I almost wept at the way he had deteriorated since I had seen him in Vegas in 1973.

The 'What Happened' book was a complete revelation and I was in complete denial for ages, I thought it was all lies and that Elvis would never do drugs! Of course now the whole truth has been told, and although at the time I detested Red West etc. for writing the book, I now have admiration for them, and only wish that it had done, what they had hoped it would.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Blue River wrote:
skatterbrane wrote: Elvis Now was the last straw and I did not buy any more of his records until I took a chance at EP Boulevard.

Didn't you at least buy a few singles during that time... Burning Love, Separate Ways, Promised Land, T-R-O-U-B-L-E, etc. ?

In fact when I heard Burning Love on the radio the first time, I thought it was an Elvis impersonator!!! His voice really became weak and old sounding to me after the 1970 Nashville sessions. Besides, I am not a single buyer. I only bought the Elvis singles you could not get on LP, like Come What May, Tell Me Why and such. Once a song appeared on an LP, then I sold the single. Same with EPs. I only bought EPs that had at least one song not on a LP.

And once I decided not to buy Elvis records after having bought Elvis Now, I did not even pay attention to the singles. The Wonderful World Of Christmas was the tipoff that his voice was deteriorating. The Love Letters From Elvis and Elvis Now was such a slide from From Elvis In Memphis and Elvis Country, I decided I would not live through a second period of crap (like the movie years) and simply quit while Elvis's comeback was still something I could be very happy about.

And in retrospect, I still agree with my much earlier assessment. I saw his Aloha TV special and was very disappointed. I really loathe the Vegas years. His 69 Memphis recordings and his 1970 Nashville recordings was his second great comeback.

I did buy I'm Leavin' It is one of my favorite Elvis songs. Even though it came from the 71 sessions I generally hate.

I did see and enjoy the That's The Way It Is movie in 1971. But I never bothered to see Elvis On Tour until it was remade and released for theatres a few years ago.

I did see Elvis in Nov 1971 and May 1977.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 pm

I was not concerned until 8/16/77 because I was just a kid at the time and had no idea that Elvis was in the state he was in, so I was in complete shock when I turned on the radio in my bedroom and then ran downstairs to turn on the TV and heard the news that Elvis had just passed away, I was glued to the TV all day and night flipping channels :smt022

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Clark Gable wrote:For the older fans here--fans who were say teenagers or older in the 1970s--around what year, what time, did you begin to become concerned about Elvis' health, his appearance, etc?

Also, before Elvis died, was his use of prescription medications known (or at least rumored about) amongst hard core fans? What I'm trying to say is, did anyone here who was around back then, say in 1975, 1976, etc have any idea or any suspicions that something wasn't right?

Fans first became concerned on October 14, 1959.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:47 pm

The minute he hit the stage in Uniondale in 75. Like what happened. Not only was he fat but the ridiculous costume made him look like a clown. A year later it was worse not better. Pretty much no denying I knew it was heading in the wrong direction.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 pm

The first time I became concerned was when I heard the first few bars of Girl Happy and wondered what was with Elvis' voice here. More concern when I heard the first bars of Harum Holiday and that weird vocal timbre he displayed there. From then on, with every new record that came out, I wondered what he would sound like. For instance, his voice is very different on PHS as compared to Spinout. As Skatterbrane wrote in another thread, it was very mystifying hearing his patchy vocals on TWWOC LP.

As far as his health goes, I wasn't concerned about him when seeing EOT. I thought he sounded good and I didn't notice if he was much different looking than he was in TTWII. I was 19 and didn't notice anything amiss. Of course, I was concerned in the 73 - 76 era about the hospitalizations and why we were hearing so frequently about Elvis not feeling well on so many nights. When Elvis cancelled shows after March 31, 1977 and went in the hospital, I'm ashamed to say I was more concerned about whether he would cancel the show I was scheduled to see on April 30 than about him in general. After I saw that show, I wished that it had been cancelled because it was so poor. I didn't really think about drugs but I thought he may have been drinking because of his sloppiness and behavior.

I did not, in summer of 1977, consider that he was likely to die, but I was worried about his uneven singing and performing.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:03 am

stevelecher wrote:As far as his health goes, I wasn't concerned about him when seeing EOT. I thought he sounded good and I didn't notice if he was much different looking than he was in TTWII. I was 19 and didn't notice anything amiss. Of course, I was concerned in the 73 - 76 era about the hospitalizations and why we were hearing so frequently about Elvis not feeling well on so many nights. When Elvis cancelled shows after March 31, 1977 and went in the hospital, I'm ashamed to say I was more concerned about whether he would cancel the show I was scheduled to see on April 30 than about him in general. After I saw that show, I wished that it had been cancelled because it was so poor. I didn't really think about drugs but I thought he may have been drinking because of his sloppiness and behavior.

I did not, in summer of 1977, consider that he was likely to die, but I was worried about his uneven singing and performing.

This is generally the opinion I find when I ask this question. Had I been there I think I would have observed the same things at the same time.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 am

Walking out of the court with Priscilla after his divorce in Oct 1973. The pictures were in such contrast to Aloha earlier that year, it seemed like a different person. Didn't look like Elvis to me.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 am

stevelecher wrote:The first time I became concerned was when I heard the first few bars of Girl Happy and wondered what was with Elvis' voice here. More concern when I heard the first bars of Harum Holiday and that weird vocal timbre he displayed there. From then on, with every new record that came out, I wondered what he would sound like. For instance, his voice is very different on PHS as compared to Spinout. As Skatterbrane wrote in another thread, it was very mystifying hearing his patchy vocals on TWWOC LP.

As far as his health goes, I wasn't concerned about him when seeing EOT. I thought he sounded good and I didn't notice if he was much different looking than he was in TTWII. I was 19 and didn't notice anything amiss. Of course, I was concerned in the 73 - 76 era about the hospitalizations and why we were hearing so frequently about Elvis not feeling well on so many nights. When Elvis cancelled shows after March 31, 1977 and went in the hospital, I'm ashamed to say I was more concerned about whether he would cancel the show I was scheduled to see on April 30 than about him in general. After I saw that show, I wished that it had been cancelled because it was so poor. I didn't really think about drugs but I thought he may have been drinking because of his sloppiness and behavior.

Yeah I agree with you. His voice started to change all the way back in 65. Then rebounded in 68.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:For the older fans here--fans who were say teenagers or older in the 1970s--around what year, what time, did you begin to become concerned about Elvis' health, his appearance, etc?

Okay. So this is not ENTIRELY serious on the face of it, but why that date?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 am

i remember being startled how puffed up he looked in some close ups post show in EOT
i persuaded myself with it just being an effect of being exhausted and warm but i never could shake the feeling something was off

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 am

r&b wrote:Walking out of the court with Priscilla after his divorce in Oct 1973. The pictures were in such contrast to Aloha earlier that year, it seemed like a different person. Didn't look like Elvis to me.

In my view, this is what the pivotal moment was. Lisa was no longer living at home with Elvis, home life changed forever, the pain of divorce, money and custody issues. This is a horrible time and stressful for most people. The uncertainty.

Elvis needed time-out to think; however, he had Contracts and also people who depended on him, so he couldn't escape as was needed. The problems just kept compounding and compounding, this would be enough for anyone to change, time was needed, plus the right loving ear to listen. No-one gets over losing such a loved one as Elvis' mother. Back then, there wasn't the support that is available now.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 am

What Elvis did do, is he kept going - and that would have been for everyone else, not his own needs.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Fans first became concerned on October 14, 1959.

We lost Errol Flynn that day.

It may have stressed Elvis a bit.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 am

Please post on topic.

Thank you! :wink:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Please post on topic.

Thank you! :wink:

As soon as you do, Bobby.

::rocks

P.S. You completely miss the point and intention of my input on this topic. Oh well!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:16 am

I was "wondering" a bit about his health, when I saw Elvis a couple of times in June 1976. He was overweight and while I enjoyed the shows, it was different than the previous concerts I attended (1971 and 1974). Vocally still good in 1976 (at the 2 shows I attended), but with more talking and a slower pace to the shows. I brushed it off by saying to myself, "hey, he's 41, he can be over weight if he wants to." But after the 5/28/77 concert, he just didn't look well and when he did movements (like during Polk Salad Annie) he seemed like he was having a painful time. It was in many ways a dramatic difference in just 11 months. It wasn't until after "Elvis What Happened" that I really began to about what was going on behind the scenes.

rlj

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 am

June 1, 1977 in Macon, Ga. Remember thinking on the way home I wasn't in a big hurry to go see him again. Sadly I never got the chance. Will never forget that night.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:08 pm

GuitarKing wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The first time I became concerned was when I heard the first few bars of Girl Happy and wondered what was with Elvis' voice here. More concern when I heard the first bars of Harum Holiday and that weird vocal timbre he displayed there. From then on, with every new record that came out, I wondered what he would sound like. For instance, his voice is very different on PHS as compared to Spinout. As Skatterbrane wrote in another thread, it was very mystifying hearing his patchy vocals on TWWOC LP.

Yeah I agree with you. His voice started to change all the way back in 65. Then rebounded in 68.

I sometimes wonder that his voice change was due to his deep dissatisfaction with his movies and their soundtracks by 1965. He was contracted to do them, so he sang with a bored? type of crooning voice. particularly evident on H.S, F@J and P.H.S. Songs he cared for such as 'Please Don't Stop Loving Me', 'How Great Thou Art' sessions and the 'Guitar Man' sessions were sung with his usual voice. Just a thought.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:48 pm

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

I assume it's the day Elvis met Priscilla? :wink:

One could say the day everything went downhill was August 14, 1958.