Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The little things....

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:13 am

As he shakes his shoulders during I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Aloha). I love this Moment.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 am

It 's all so hard to top! Wonderful thread. Wonderful "little things."

Uh, I guess I just love this moment: The Tackle.

image.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm

memphisound wrote:This probably is an unpopular one but the other night I was watching the CBS Special for the first time in years, and it got to the scene in Jailhouse Rock, Elvis turns over points and as he is singing the verse " Spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone,
Little Joe was blowin' on the slide trombone The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang, the whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang " and just looses himself in laughter for a moment and the crowd hears it and just start cheering so loud, for some reason that put a smile on my face even in the darkest time. :) Great thread!

Well, I didn't want to mention CBS at first but you broke the ice for me.

I cannot help it but smile after when Elvis introduces the orchestra he says off mic: 'Hilton Horns my ass!'

Maybe not very classy but I think it's funny.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Even though it is so sad to watch I always have to laugh along with Elvis when he messed up "Are You Lonesome Tonight" on June 19, 1977 after "hearing your lies".

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:16 pm

The hand gestures during band introductions in the Aloha From Hawaii concert....and afterwards..... the nose scratching with his thumb when he thanked the audience for raising funds for the Kui Lee Cancer fund. Priceless.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:08 am

Morning, morning, lol :D

His smile when something tickles him, it is infectious, an enigma, you are drawn into the happiness - his eyes glisten with happiness, and the way the laughter follows, you just have to laugh too, and want to badly add your bit :D

How he softly kisses people, or hugs those who need it.

How Elvis loved his mother.

His sense of humour - so off the planet and wonderful, something that would have to tickle any funny bone.

How he leaves people, having been around him, they feeling complete happiness and feeling whole.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:41 am

Where he gets a chill from James Burtons guitar bend in Aloha on the song I'm so lonesome I could cry and where he muffs the lyrics to Johnny B Goode on Aloha...the first verse...stood an old...blah, blah...haha

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 am

Also on Aloha during American Trilogy...the moment during the horn segment right before he comes back in, he blows out some air and you can see the front of his hair lift up. lol cool moment.

At the 3:17 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4cNSbixJwI

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 am

The way he says "and" may I say... during many live versions of "My Way"...like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aliSKqFIZPc
At the 2:28 mark.

When he says "I will ease you mind" and the way he looks up an smiles during Bridge on EOT. At the 3:41 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQtDryYCc0
This is by far my favorite version of this song.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 am

The "Oh, lay me down" part in most versions of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

The way he pokes his face into the camera as he walks around the stage at the end of "On Tour". Pure Elvis playfulness.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:55 am

Gosh, I wish the Internet existed (as it does today) in like 1981, because at that time, these "little things" were so personal to me, and it would have been nice to know that others saw these things, too.

Except for fan clubs, which I avoided back then, being a fan was a very private pursuit. (There was an ad-hoc "club" of fans in college, but they tolerated no critical outlook whatsoever. They loved everything equally, and since I was a music critic on the CW, that was difficult for me.)

Thanks again, folks! (Oh, carrying that guy on his shoulders during the 1968 Special karate sequence is kind of neat. And a whole buncha other stuff from that sequence, too.)

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 am

The little chuckles as heard on "Dirty, Dirty Feeling" after the line "I took you in when you were hungry" make me smile every time I hear it.

And of course, "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from August 26, 1969. Lifts me up every time. "Sing it, baby!" :D

Just like ol' Paul said: "Every time I felt low, I'd just put on an Elvis record and I felt great".

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm

This at 1.47 when he moves his leg with his hands to end the 'sideways moonwalk' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy5zo2G6Z8I waaaaaaaaaaay cool!

Reporter: What's your favourite type of girl?

Elvis: Female, Sir.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:49 am

A couple of things on "Tomorrow Never Comes." When he really got going on it and lets out a whoop, then a few seconds later, "Yeah, yeah, you tell me, you tell me you love, me, yeah baby..." Just powerful.

On Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello, there is a very vulnerable quiver in his voice on the words, "her what" in the line, "I'd like to tell her what, I'm really feelin' but..." that just conveys the pain of the person who's leaving the message. Talk about selling a song, he sounds heartbroken on this master take.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

Elvis on Tour Polk Salad when he hold his drink up to the audience looks like Charlie says kill em he nods walks to the front of the stage speads his legs head bowed, like a warrior bracing for a battle 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Man, I love this thread!

The exhausted breathing at the end of Take 2 of "You'll Never Walk Alone"... haunting.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:29 pm

"Dreaming of the arms that held me tight", from Loving Arms. Shivers down the spine, every time.

"Doin' The Best I Can". Whenever I hear the opening notes, a big smile comes onto my face.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:52 pm

In the 68 Special the sit down performance Elvis wipes his face with a Kleenex then starts talking
but Charlie interrupts him to remove some lint from his face. As the lint falls to the ground the
women scream and scramble to pick it up. Elvis looks on and with a playful grim shouts out as
he strums his guitar "never ceases to amaze me baby!" To me he is vicariously he is commenting
the years of crazy fan worship by saying to himself "Come really --- a piece of lint from a Kleenex?"

Burning Love

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

The rehearsal performance of "You Lost That Lovin Feeling" on the Silver Box
when he hum's after "I do it for you"

Burning Love

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:35 am

Firstly, what a great thread, nodding my head like a dog in a car reading this here.

So many, but a few that spring to mind...

The way he says the words 'Up to the walls of Jericho' in one of the outtakes on HIs Hand In MIne FTD
The bombastic take it home ending on Let it Be Me
The power and emotion in the 'when I read your loving letter line' In thw 68 special version of Trying to get to you. Chills me every time.
The sweet smile during Unchained Melody
The If I Can Dream sequence where he's standing around waiting for the next take - he's done a few wise cracks to kill time, but hes out of them so and is beginning to get self conscious and says ' this is beginning to get embarrassing'
Blue Suede Shoes on one of the stand up shows where he does the ah-ahh thing during the final verse. ( you know what I mean).

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:40 pm

In the second Milton Berle show - June 5 1956 - when Uncle Miltie clear shows he likes Elvis very much and imitates him - to me it's the one of the most important moment of Elvis' TV career in the 50's. Milton Berle clearly enjoyed Elvis's wild performance of Hound Dog, not like Steve Allen or Ed Sullivan (regarding this latest one, I always believed his opinion of Elvis in the January 1957 TV show was an opportunistic one).

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 am

The mike thing he does during Trouble....68 black leather.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:25 am

On the 60's box set...forget which song...right before it starts he sings a line from Ode to billie joe..."I was out chopping cotton and my brother was bailing hay."

Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:46 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:On the 60's box set...forget which song...right before it starts he sings a line from Ode to billie joe..."I was out chopping cotton and my brother was bailing hay."

"Hi Heal Sneakers"

Burning Love

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 am

That's it. Thanks!