Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The little things....

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:04 am

So many threads seem to focus on the "big" moments whether it be successes or career disasters. I thought it might be fun to discuss some of the little moments that impacted you as a fan. While there are countless examples, maybe we should limit each post to one example otherwise this will just become another thread with long lists. I don't want to give a list of example of what I mean because I don't want to steal anyone else's moment.

The first little moment that comes to mind for me because I just listened to it, is the little breath at the end of what I call the "marathon" take of "You'll Never Walk Alone" (Platinum) As the song finally ends you can hear Elvis release a sigh that just screams release, exaltation and maybe even a bit of exhaustion.

So whats one of your little moments that makes up your appreciation of Elvis?

Re: The little things....

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

Just before Scotty goes into the second guitar solo on "Baby, Let's Playhouse" Elvis shouts "Hit It", then as Bill is slapping the bass, Elvis then shouts "yeah". Then towards the end of the song Elvis nearly loses it vocally during the hot potato in the mouth "baby, baby, baby" bit. Just awesome!!!!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:55 am

I think the fist punch and the encouragement to the band during American trilogy during the aloha concert is fantastic.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:32 am

There are many such moments, such as:

- The laugh during the fade in "Mystery Train"
- The unplanned, extended solo by Scotty on "Too Much" that Elvis insisted be kept on the master take
- The way he addresses the Sullivan audience (and a live TV viewership in the millions) on October 28, 1956, just before his final number, pauses for a moment because of someone's scream, then looks up and simultaneously mugs and points at the culprit
- His "Jackie Wilson" arm and leg moves during the filmed sequence for "Return to Sender"
- When he sings "you like to ball every morning" on national TV in 1968, and he rolls his eyes in delight
- The fist thrust at the end of "Burning Love" during the "Aloha" taping on January 14, 1973
- Exiting his limo backstage in Rapid City on June 21, 1977, seeing a CBS camera point in his direction, and saying "Oh, hello!"

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:57 am

These are thoughtful and sensitive observations, DJC. Very touching. More please.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:59 am

The little things he did with his fans rather it was an autograph, a wave, or just a smile,.. he never forgot where he came from.
And that is what little things really made Elvis Presley so special..

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 pm

The sigh on take 1 of Green Green Grass of home. "And I realize *sigh* I was only dreaming"

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 pm

The in-between-takes fun and the subtle funny lyric changes if Elvis thinks the take is no good but does not want to say so.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Another great moment is...on the 2nd Ed Sullivan Show, after Elvis has just sung a wonderful "Love Me" he say's, "Ladies & Gentlemen, eh, can i have your attention, please...i'd like to tell ya, we're gonna do a sad song for ya...this song here is one of the saddest songs you've ever heard...really tells the story, friends...beautiful lyrics...goe's like this..." Scotty strums a chord, Elvis teases the crowd. Rock'n'Roll, baby, that's Rock'n'Roll!!!!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm

"Hey, I only work here."

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:56 pm

The day in the summer of 1969 we were inside the gate at Graceland while Elvis was visiting with his fans. He was on horseback and a kid remarked about the beautiful horse he was riding. A lady chimed up and said "you can see a beautiful horse anytime, but that is Elvis Presley..." Elvis laughed and reached down and patted the kid on the head and said "it's OK...".

That kid was me.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Gonna be hard to top that one, Frankie.

One that always struck me was not necessarily an Elvis moment, but a moment of appreciation for Elvis. I'm referring to the look and smile he received from John Wilkinson as Elvis finished "How The Web Was Woven" while sitting at the piano during the rehearsals in TTWII.

That is one of those "little things" that I have always appreciated. That look and that smile from John speaks volumes.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Rob wrote:Gonna be hard to top that one, Frankie.

One that always struck me was not necessarily an Elvis moment, but a moment of appreciation for Elvis. I'm referring to the look and smile he received from John Wilkinson as Elvis finished "How The Web Was Woven" while sitting at the piano during the rehearsals in TTWII.

That is one of those "little things" that I have always appreciated. That look and that smile from John speaks volumes.

That is really good one and it always stood out to me because I always like Elvis' performance in that moment and it was cool to see he had the same impact on his band.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Along the same lines, watch JD while Elvis is singing Bridge Over Troubled Water in EOT. You can see him totally entranced, singing along under his breath, until a girl screams and breaks his concentration, and you see him look off to where the scream came from.

Another, later in the same sequence, during Funny How Times Slips Away. After he tells the guards to let the girl have the scarf, almost as if to spite the guards and give them something to do, you see him take a ring off and throw it in to the crowd, then, satisfied he's caused a commotion, he gives a little giggle to Estelle as he walks past, singing "aint it funny.."

I love the 20 days and 20 nights sequence in TTWII - for all Charlie gets his fair share of insults here, you can see how close they were, 2 friends having their own private jokes, the little dig in the ribs from Elvis, and laugh.

I love the part in the 68 special, between takes, when he's talking about Lisa, saying how little she is, obviously very proud.

Just a little moment, but in Tickle Me, when he's called in to the office, and he's told he has to do something about his singing. "I've been trying for years", he deadpans. Scripted or not, he delivers it with a real twinkle. As it later turned out, it was one of his movies he thought had merit.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Throwing belt and cape into the crowd at Aloha. Like as if he's doing it on a daily basis...

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 pm

during the 1968 sit down comeback show: "Man i just work here"....to the audiance when they all OHHHHHHH....because he said im gonna sng one more song for you....
The way he went down to the audiance and walked between the people.....in Thats the way it is
How he took the time to meet that little girl back stage that gave him some kind of a reward during the "Elvis in Concert" 1977 , very sweet and humanity
the sadnees in his eyes while singing: "What now my love" , " Its Over" - Aloha from Hawaii 1973
throw his Cap to the audiance at the end of : "Big hunk o love" - Aloha from Hawaii 1973
and many more....
::rocks

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:20 pm

chris j wrote:These are thoughtful and sensitive observations, DJC. Very touching. More please.

- How he throws in an expletive under his breath during the finale of "Steamroller Blues" during the January 14, 1973 live broadcast (bad boy!)
- When he repeats "love you" over and over and over, while holding Lorena Kirk (Amanda) during the controversial rage reduction scene in "Change of Habit"

690300_w Moore_Kirk_Change of Habit.JPG

- The way he breaks up after his voice cracks while trying out the introduction to "Wearin' That Loved-On Look"
- Encouraging Boots Randolph to solo twice as long as planned during the Hawaii '61 performance of "Reconsider Baby"
- His achingly sincere guitar and vocal on the 1959 German home demo of "Mona Lisa"
- Doing nothing but bass lines (and falsetto endings) while the Tune Weavers' "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby" plays on Eddie Fadal's stereo in May 1958
- How he quietly derides Pat Boone's recording of "Don't Forbid Me" at the December 1956 Sun jam session, then plays a version alone on guitar that blows the soon-to-be #1 Dot single out of the water
- This priceless exchange with a fan, backstage in San Antonio on October 14, 1956:

Just what are you trying to do? Are you trying to raise money or are you trying to establish this type of music as a standard?
(In mock voice) Am I trying to raise money?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm

promiseland wrote:The little things he did with his fans rather it was an autograph, a wave, or just a smile,.. he never forgot where he came from.
And that is what little things really made Elvis Presley so special..

So true!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:30 pm

When he met the tool on the plane in Elvis On Tour. In fact, there are a few cool bits during this sequence. The look on E's face when the guy says he never played guitar 'I wanna bust your arse!' and also the look when he broke the guitar, classic! Very cute bit with the kid afterwards too.

elvisonline

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:36 pm

The scene when he's singing, "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care", and Elvis does that hip/shoulder move and Bill Black just cracks up in the background, hilarious !

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:38 pm

The yell in I Feel So Bad. I can hear that everyday.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:38 pm

frus75 wrote:The sigh on take 1 of Green Green Grass of home. "And I realize *sigh* I was only dreaming"

I love that *sigh* myself!!! :)

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Another one - the way he attacks the line " I can't, give you the love you need..." in Inherit The Wind after the instrumental. Just perfect.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 am

I think the original footage is from Loving You but it was part of a montage in This is Elvis, but in the shot, Elvis raises his hands above his head and cocks his head to the side as if he's saying "wasn't me". Super cool moment.

I love all these little positive things that people are listing, I guess it is hard to argue about the little things that individuals find cool.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:07 am

The "Oh, get on it!" at the beginning of Promised Land.