Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Way Down
Somebody Bigger Than You and I
Let Yourself Go
Holly Leaves & Christmas Trees
Its Easy for You

Re: What 5 songs do you wish Elvis would have sung in concer

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:31 pm

What is people's obsession with Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:What is people's obsession with Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees?

Its a popular song among fans, a great one written by Red West! Is this a problem ? :roll:

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:47 pm

poormadpeter wrote:What is people's obsession with Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees?

I listened to it this morning and felt like decorating my estate early this year.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Wow, what a question. I think I'll follow what some have done and list 5 from the three decades Elvis sang. These are the songs..., for now....:

The 50's
Too Much
Got-a-Lotta Livin' to Do
One Sided Love Affair
First in Line
I'm Left, Your Right, She's Gone

The 60's
A Mess of Blues
Indescribably Blue
Power of My Love
It Hurts Me
Any Day Now

[b]The 70's[/b]
For the Heart
Tomorrow Never Comes
Heart of Rome
I've Got Confidence
We Can Make the Morning

rlj

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Very nice Rob,keep at it, by the time Christmas comes around it may even look nice :D

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm

memphisound wrote:

Its a popular song among fans, a great one written by Red West! Is this a problem ? :roll:

Calling an appreciation for "Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees" an "obsession" is typically cheap rhetoric, an easy way of marginalizing the quality of this 1970s master.

As we all know, Elvis is capable of singing far more than "just" rock 'n' roll, and "Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees" is a superb example. The Red West-Glen Spreen composition addresses the downside of the holiday season from a very adult perspective. Presley sings it with deep feeling, and it's clear his empathy is personal.

It's no wonder Elvis works through many takes at his 1971 sessions to get it right -- the outtakes are a revelation unto themselves -- and no surprise it's a real highlight of Elvis Sings The Wonderful World of Christmas.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

Calling an appreciation for "Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees" an "obsession" is typically cheap rhetoric, an easy way of marginalizing the quality of this 1970s master.

As we all know, Elvis is capable of singing far more than "just" rock 'n' roll, and "Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees" is a superb example. The Red West-Glen Spreen composition addresses the downside of the holiday season from a very adult perspective. Presley sings it with deep feeling, and it's clear his empathy is personal.

It's no wonder Elvis works through many takes at his 1971 sessions to get it right -- the outtakes are a revelation unto themselves -- and no surprise it's a real highlight of Elvis Sings The Wonderful World of Christmas.

I'm not obsessed with it, but its my favorite song on the 71 album (yes even over Merry Christmas Baby). Maybe because my girlfriend and I split in Oct 1971, it has more meaning to me. But it is executed so perfectly, and it feels like Christmas to me (its not always joyous right?). I'm not saying he should have done this live over other songs, but hey once in a while around the holiday shows, maybe throw something in other than Blue Christmas.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

It was a jokey turn of phrase not meant to be take literally. It just seems a bizarre choice for people to want to hear live. It's hardly going to send any audience home full of festive cheer!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 am

Good Rockin Tonight
I Can Help
One Sided Love Affair
Anyway You Want Me
Thinking About You

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 am

It Hurts Me
Edge Of Reality
If I Can Dream
Long Black Limousine
Separate Ways

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

It was a jokey turn of phrase not meant to be take literally. It just seems a bizarre choice for people to want to hear live. It's hardly going to send any audience home full of festive cheer!

Well, that's just it: maybe a whole lot of people don't feel very festive when they are always encouraged to do so. And this song kind of says "that's okay; I've had those Decembers, too. You are not alone. And you don't HAVE to be "merry."

When he sings "home's a place that I don't know," that is my life, and I try to jazz myself into merriment, always. It also makes you think of bleak Christmases past, when, say, your family was broke and had troubles, and you picked out a really cheap present in a five-and-dime that year . . . for me, that was 1971. (I just realized how ironic that is, in this context.)

That would be it.

Ah, well, since you asked, let's have a listen, and think about it, and how it might have gone over, live.

phpBB [video]

rjm

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:41 am

Viva Las Vegas (in Vegas)
C'mon Everybody
Girls Girls Girls
Way Down
For the Heart
...I'm sure there are more, but these come to mind off hand.

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 am

Sorry for going a little off-topic now but I think "Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees" is a wonderful (even though depressing) song which once more proves that Red West's really had great composing abilities. Thinking about "Separate Ways", "That's Someone You Never Forget", "If You Talk In Your Sleep", among others. "Seeing Is Believing" comes to my mind also - did I miss another one? No, I'm not talking about "Mary Lou Brown"! :D

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 am

Holly Leaves & Christmas Trees is a brilliant song, perfectly bittersweet and a style that Elvis did so well.

My 5 songs would be...

If I Can Dream
Don't
Always On My Mind
Wearin' That Loved On Look or Let Yourself Go
erm, finally... The Girl of My Best Friend

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 am

It may change on a daily basis, but right now my top 5 would be:

Peace In The Valley
Where Do You Come From (Elvis at the piano)
Any Day Now
Padre
Way Down

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:00 pm

50s
money honey
don't
anyway you want me
baby lets play house
60s
make me know it
such a night
rock a hula baby
if i can dream
70s
heart of rome
where do i go from here
just a little bit
for the heart
way down

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:34 pm

My top five: "Paralysed," "Mean Woman Blues," "A Mess of the Blues," "Memphis, Tennessee" and "After Loving You." Some non-Elvis songs would include "It's Only Make Believe" and "Since I Met You Baby."

MT

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 pm

My second five:

Way Down
Just A Little Bit
If You Don't Come Back
Stranger In My Home Town
Power Of My Love

My third five:

Merry Christmas Baby
Devil In Disguise
Santa Clause Is Back In Town
Got My Mojo Working
I'm So Glad Your Mine

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:19 pm

A Mess of Blues and Paralyzed are def bubbling under my top 5. In fact those 2 songs are my strongest candidates for A sides that never happened. (hey another topic!)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 am

I am going to keep this realistic because a lot of the 50s and 60s stuff might have not sounded that good live in the 70s. so i will go with 70s songs that would have worked..

Mary In the Morning
How The Web was Woven
Pledging My Love
He'll Have to Go
Lovin' Arms

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:58 am

1. Young And Beautiful
2. New Orleans
3. I'm Moving On
4. Baby I Don't Care
5. Gentle On My Mind.

Brian

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:03 am

Brian Quinn wrote:1. Young And Beautiful
2. New Orleans
3. I'm Moving On
4. Baby I Don't Care
5. Gentle On My Mind.

Brian

i was going to say Gentle on My Mind too but i think he would have had trouble with the lyrics. would have needed to pull the old lyric sheet out. :D

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 am

It's schmaltzy and melancholy, just like "Love Song Of The Year".

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am

TCB-FAN wrote:

It's schmaltzy and melancholy, just like "Love Song Of The Year".

Comparing these two is like apples and oranges.

My five for today:

One Night (Of Sin)
When It Rains, It (Really) Pours
Such A Night (after '61)
A Little Less Conversation
How The Web Was Woven (Elvis at the piano)