Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
sireltonjohn wrote:some of those venues are pretty small so it will be intimate at least

Yes, they are. Which only gives more evidence to my suggestion that Elvis's popularity is low at the moment. Wembley Arena capacity (2012 venue): 12500; Ipswich Regent Capacity (2013 venue): 1551.

That's why tickets are selling fast. Already limited quantity at most venues.

Brian

How would you know that? unless you are "friend" or "member" of each individual theatre, you can't see the seating plan and what seats are left because they're not on general sale yet.

The tickets for most venues are shown as 'limited' in supply.

Brian

Yes, but I'm not sure what that actually means. For my local theatre, it generally means that's it over half full. I fail to see where this type of set-up will see members of the public spending money to go and see this. Sure, fans will go, but I fail to see the incentive for people outside of that. At least in the big arenas, there was the sense of atmosphere or an event as there always is in an arena or stadium, plus you were seeing Presley's own band. Here you get regular theatres, Elvis on a screen and a band of mostly unknown studio musicians. I don't see the point, and certain not £35 worth of point! That's s expensive as a seat for a full-blown musical or opera in these theatres - and they involve big choruses, orchestras and sets! My guess is that fans will buy their tickets now, and then sales will pretty much stop once that has happened.

Why do you have to put a negative on most things?

This is great news that this tour is coming back and im pleased that they will have totally new musicians.

The TCB band are now too old. It was great to see the TCB band when they performed for the previous tours but its time to bring in some fresh and younger musicians.

Makes no difference to me that the musicians never performed with Elvis and im sure the sound will be fantastic.

I certainly plan to go to the London shows. :D

If being honest is being negative, then so be it. You're paying £35 to go and watch a movie. If that's your bag, fine, but it's a lot of money for a trip to the cinema.

It's not a movie, its a live show.

I have been to see a number of films and 'live' shows over the years and there is a big difference.

I can't recall seeing a film where there are musicians playing live on stage and the crowd shouting and screaming and giving a standing ovation at the end.

Maybe you should keep your opinions about this to yourself if you feel the way you do and stop putting people off from going cause its certainly worth the price of the ticket for a great night out.

If people can't make their own mind up, then that their own tough sh*t.

Re: 'Elvis In Concert' Returns To The UK

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:03 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
sireltonjohn wrote:some of those venues are pretty small so it will be intimate at least

If people can't make their own mind up, then that their own tough sh*t.

The good news is that it will have no impact. I have thoroughly enjoyed the show, and will go again and two of my teens are keen to come with me as well, but in all fairness to poormadpeter, i do know some who feel his way.

As a side issue on a point raised that Elvis's popularity being on the low side at present, there is something in that, but there are other indications it is holding up reasonably well as well and actually beterr than many current big name acts too.

Re: 'Elvis Presley - On Stage' To Tour The UK In 2014

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Pressumably they are testing the water with size of venue for the new style show. Many will prefer the more intimate appeal of a smaller venue.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Bodie wrote:

This is great news that this tour is coming back and im pleased that they will have totally new musicians.

The TCB band are now too old. It was great to see the TCB band when they performed for the previous tours but its time to bring in some fresh and younger musicians.

Makes no difference to me that the musicians never performed with Elvis and im sure the sound will be fantastic.

TCB Band may be to use your words 'too old' but it is known that they wanted to keep going with the show it was EPE who has decided to change the format.I will be going to see the show just to see the difference.But it seems unfair if Elvis original musicians want to carry on but EPE are deciding to take Elvis down a different route.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

TCB Band may be to use your words 'too old' but it is known that they wanted to keep going with the show it was EPE who has decided to change the format.I will be going to see the show just to see the difference.But it seems unfair if Elvis original musicians want to carry on but EPE are deciding to take Elvis down a different route.

I agree with that..
I went to elvis in concert to see the remaining members of elvis band perform with elvis.
now u get people who have nothing to do with elvis, and just cash in on elvis.. Sounds like EPE.
Anybody can give me 1 good reason why i would pay 35$ for a elvis show with musicians who havent even worked with him??.. i might aswell play TTWII on a projector and start playing on a drum, and compile a band. Lets see if i can cash in on that to :D

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I agree with that..
I went to elvis in concert to see the remaining members of elvis band perform with elvis.
now u get people who have nothing to do with elvis, and just cash in on elvis.. Sounds like EPE.
Anybody can give me 1 good reason why i would pay 35$ for a elvis show with musicians who havent even worked with him??.. i might aswell play TTWII on a projector and start playing on a drum, and compile a band. Lets see if i can cash in on that to :D

This is why. I believe these will be the musicians/singers on the new tour. They sound HOT to me. There are many other examples on YouTube if you type in 'Elvis At The Orpheum'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFnaQaydV8

Brian
Last edited by Brian Quinn on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I agree with that..

This is why. I believe these will be the musicians/singers on the new tour. They sound HOT to me. There are many other examples on YouTube if you type in 'Elvis At The Orpheum'.

Brian
Brian

I think you miss the point, they may sound good, but people don't pay good money to see competent musicians, they pay money to see names they recognise. Ok, Elvis is a name they recognise, but my guess is he won't be turning up in person. So, what you get is what I said earlier - a video of Elvis, with the music "overdubbed" by a group of competent musicians. In other words, "The Guitar Man Sessions: The Musical"!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:54 pm

This concert is also scheduled to tour Europe and the U.S.A. in 2014.

Brian

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
I think you miss the point, they may sound good, but people don't pay good money to see competent musicians, they pay money to see names they recognise. Ok, Elvis is a name they recognise, but my guess is he won't be turning up in person. So, what you get is what I said earlier - a video of Elvis, with the music "overdubbed" by a group of competent musicians. In other words, "The Guitar Man Sessions: The Musical"!

If that's what you would get from the show, best keep away. But i hope your glass half-empty view of the World, doesn't put others off going, because they may have a fantastic time and really dig that there are musicians and singers out there having a ball bringing Elvis to the people.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

If that's what you would get from the show, best keep away. But i hope your glass half-empty view of the World, doesn't put others off going, because they may have a fantastic time and really dig that there are musicians and singers out there having a ball bringing Elvis to the people.

Like so many things to do with Elvis and his career - like the endless movies with the same formula, like the endless Vegas seasons, like the endless touring, and like the endless string of banal compilations that continue to this day - this is far more about wringing every last cent out of something which was once a good idea than it is about bringing the genius of Elvis to the people. It seems that the same issues plague Elvis now as plagued him when he was alive - never knowing when to stop, call it a day, and try something different. Blue Hawaii was a good little film, but by the time of Clambake the formula was a mess, nobody cared and what life there was in the cycle of films had long gone. The same is likely to be true here.

These events started sixteen years ago, were notable for their innovations and novelty, and for being faithful to Presley by using where possible the same musicians. Sixteen years later, they have gone from huge arenas to provincial theatres, the technology used is no longer new or innovative, and instead of the original band there is a group of studio musicians. I'm sure there is still money to be made from the tour, and I'm sure enough people will go to make it a "success", but that doesn't do anything to deflect the fact that it's an old, now worn-our formula using old, worn-out technology. At a time when experimentation is being made with holograms, this tour is nearly a decade behind the times with the video projection. But it's EPE, and it's certainly cheaper this way. Let's face it, The Colonel's emphasis on making easy money has never really left the building, has it?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 pm

In principle, I am happy this is happening - I would pay even just to go to see an Elvis movie if they would show it. I mean, going to the theater having a social experience with other fans etc that is something I am missing while watching a DVD at home.

But it all depends how it is done - I will see it and then formulate an opinion.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Obviously the show is all about making money for EPE. They are a business and that's there goal to make as much as possible. For the fans that attend it means a great night out. It's fun to hear the music played live and watch Elvis with so many other fans. I saw it twice and it was terrific both times. As long as people enjoy the show I can see no negatives to keeping it going. Having the original band mates was the icing on the cake but you know it had to end sooner or later.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm

of course the experience with the original Elvis band was on another level,.... but unfortunatelly at a certain time we all knew it had to stop.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:52 pm

I certainly hope they decide to take this a little further by adding some of the movie songs, 68 comeback and '56 TV shows... At least that would be a little different and try to add something extra. Even if not - who cares - it's a fun and enjoyable event. I don't mind paying money towards shows like this just to help keep the KINGS memory going. I've booked mine.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 pm

And of course, I'm still impatiently waiting for the day we get to see a hologram Elvis show - I mean imagine the Prince from Another Planet,Madison Square Garden concert, played full blast to an arena and a detailed life like hologram. - Admittedly no where near the real experience but one a young fan like me would treasure to feel what it might have been really like.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm

fabregaz wrote:And of course, I'm still impatiently waiting for the day we get to see a hologram Elvis show - I mean imagine the Prince from Another Planet,Madison Square Garden concert, played full blast to an arena and a detailed life like hologram. - Admittedly no where near the real experience but one a young fan like me would treasure to feel what it might have been really like.

You have it all to look forward to! :D

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I was in touch with a European promoter today, and he said that the show will not be as elaborate as before, with horns, strings, etc. He said it would just be a “bare bones rhythm section”. The footage will be all (or almost all) TTWII stuff. Wonder how those songs will sound with such a basic backing. We’ll see.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I agree with that..

Brian
Brian

If this 'new' version of Elvis The Concert is the same as the youtube clip then im really excited about this.

Totally different from the previous concerts that have been touring and a totally new experience.

Poormadpeter, You have this habit of going out of your way to try and stop people enjoying themselves.

If you don't like the show then fine but i don't understand your reason for basically telling other fans not to go and not to waste their money, what could you gain out of doing that?

You recently wanted the Winter Olympics boycotted, now you don't want people to go and see this show.

I really wouldn't want to be sitting next to you on a long flight. :smt020

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I agree with that..

Brian
Brian

If this 'new' version of Elvis The Concert is the same as the youtube clip then im really excited about this.

Totally different from the previous concerts that have been touring and a totally new experience.

Poormadpeter, You have this habit of going out of your way to try and stop people enjoying themselves.

If you don't like the show then fine but i don't understand your reason for basically telling other fans not to go and not to waste their money, what could you gain out of doing that?

You recently wanted the Winter Olympics boycotted, now you don't want people to go and see this show.

I never told anybody not to go to the shows. I simply gave very detailed reasons for me not going, and why this is most likely to be a money-making dumbed down version of what has gone before - something which seems to be backed up by Rock legend's comments a few posts back.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I was in touch with a European promoter today, and he said that the show will not be as elaborate as before, with horns, strings, etc. He said it would just be a “bare bones rhythm section”. The footage will be all (or almost all) TTWII stuff. Wonder how those songs will sound with such a basic backing. We’ll see.

I think they will use keyboard digital instruments to replicate the orchestra.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:07 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Gary1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

I agree with that..

Brian
Brian

I never told anybody not to go to the shows. I simply gave very detailed reasons for me not going, and why this is most likely to be a money-making dumbed down version of what has gone before - something which seems to be backed up by Rock legend's comments a few posts back.

For the price of a ticket it sounds like a great night out. If your too tight to pay that price and stay in and watch TV then that's up to you.
Im certainly going to go and im sure thousands of others will around the UK.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I was in touch with a European promoter today, and he said that the show will not be as elaborate as before, with horns, strings, etc. He said it would just be a “bare bones rhythm section”. The footage will be all (or almost all) TTWII stuff. Wonder how those songs will sound with such a basic backing. We’ll see.

that sounds much better to me smt132 smt132 smt132 smt132

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

I have tickets for nottingham

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Fabbe wrote:

I think they will use keyboard digital instruments to replicate the orchestra.

Well, if it sounds as much as possible as the orginal songs, then I'm happy. I never got to see the concerts, so I was disappointed in how the songs sounded on the "Elvis Lives" dvd

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 pm

4 tickets booked for Hammersmith Apollo - Can't wait :D