Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Do you think Elvis' image is improving?

Sat May 10, 2003 4:47 pm

The Elvis world has come a long way in the last few years. Obviously, with the success of Elvis 30 #1 Hits a lot of people (perhaps not fans prior to purchase) must certainly recognize his value as an artist (I would say the GREATEST ARTIST). Do you think the image of the overweight out-of-control Elvis is fading?

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 5:27 pm

Yes, and this due to the excellent work Ernst Jorgenson has done in restoring the Presley catalogue, and EPE’s stance on refusing to issue footage that would show Elvis in a less than positive light. I made this point in another thread last week, but it’s worth repeating here. There was a time when you couldn’t read a review of a Presley album in a serious music magazine, without the same old comments about Elvis’ weight, prescription drugs. Or his eating habits. These “critics” were supposed to be assessing the music, but they rarely did. Unfortunately, their task was made much easier, due to the fact that the product on offer was normally a shoddy compilation that did nothing to enhance Elvis’ credibility or musical legacy.

Thankfully things have changed. The three masters box sets proved to any doubters that Elvis still made great music long after his discharge from the US army. And I think Ernst’s approach to the ‘60’s and ‘70’s sets was a major factor in the critical acclaim these sets received. In both cases he chose to focus on the best recordings from each decade, and this brought the focus back to the music.

I remember reading a positive review of the ‘70’s box in the New Musical Express. A magazine that (apart from Elvis’ ‘50’s work) wasn’t really pro Elvis in the years following his passing. I don’t recall the writer’s exact words, but he was pointing out how good he thought the likes of “Steamroller Blues” and “Promised Land” were, but seemed a little shocked that both tracks were recorded in 1973. It was obvious that before he had listened to that set, he was of the opinion that Elvis had stopped making great records long before 1973, but he was proved wrong. We have Ernst to thank for this.

Sat May 10, 2003 5:51 pm

Thanks for taking the time to make such a great reply. I'm fairly new to the messageboard and didn't know about the previous thread. I really enjoyed your thoughts on this.

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 6:15 pm

nashnet wrote:Thanks for taking the time to make such a great reply. I'm fairly new to the messageboard and didn't know about the previous thread. I really enjoyed your thoughts on this.

Nashnet

The topic of your own thread wasn’t repeated, but there was a discussion last week about an article that was printed on the Rolling Stone website, and I made the same point about the attitude the critics used to have towards Elvis. The rest of my post was in response to your own thread, which was both different, and a worthwhile topic in my opinion. Thanks for the kind words.

Elvis' Reputation

Sat May 10, 2003 7:49 pm

The International Conference on Elvis Presley also played a large part. Also the hard e-mail, replying to bad articles, by journalists:-)

The ordinary fan in the street now has the power to redress much of the disgraceful coverage we have had to endure from hacks and silly media presenters.

Anyway, you cannot fool all the people all of the time-especially those with discerning ears!

Nowadays many editors and broadsheet journalists are eating lots of humble pie:-)