Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Question: What Will Be The Next Sony Legacy Release

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:59 am

I would like to see a For LP Fans Only/A Date With Elvis Legacy Edition treatment.

Or how about a Pot Luck/For The Asking paring?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Tornado wrote:The next celebration, IMHO, would be to revisited Elvis's movie recordings; picking the cream of the crop in a three or four cd format. I know some fans despise this part of Elvis's career. I do not. Still It was an important part of his musical legacy and he did a good job in many types of songs for the soundtracks. Now lets remember that Sony Legacy series is for the main public, not hardcore fans. And there is enough music in the Hollywood stuff he did to please anybody who sees that Elvis didn't want to be his whole life boxed in the rock n' roll chart: Elvis was bigger than that. We had Command Performances a couple years ago and another one (I don't remember the title of the cd set) what presented a compilation of movie songs; why not make it the ultimate of the genre this next year.

Sony have been issuing a number of "complete" boxed sets at bargain prices. Mostly these have been centred around original albums, but that's not been the case with the Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong titles. An 8 or 9 CD box in this series could pull together all of the movie songs in one place for around £30, and would be the way to go, in my opinion. Fans who didn't have the complete masters set would buy it because of the sound upgrade, and no doubt it would be good value for money for new fans too.

As an example, the Bill Withers set of 9CDs in the series retails at £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Sussex-Columbia-Album-Masters/dp/B008S80PCE/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376940551&sr=1-11&keywords=complete+sony

However, the Elvis set would have to move away from the album entries, and use the compilation formula such as the Louis Armstrong set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Okeh-Columbia-RCA-Victor-Recordings/dp/B008S80PPG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376940672&sr=1-3&keywords=complete+armstrong+sony

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Tornado wrote:The next celebration, IMHO, would be to revisited Elvis's movie recordings; picking the cream of the crop in a three or four cd format. I know some fans despise this part of Elvis's career. I do not. Still It was an important part of his musical legacy and he did a good job in many types of songs for the soundtracks. Now lets remember that Sony Legacy series is for the main public, not hardcore fans. And there is enough music in the Hollywood stuff he did to please anybody who sees that Elvis didn't want to be his whole life boxed in the rock n' roll chart: Elvis was bigger than that. We had Command Performances a couple years ago and another one (I don't remember the title of the cd set) what presented a compilation of movie songs; why not make it the ultimate of the genre this next year.

Sony have been issuing a number of "complete" boxed sets at bargain prices. Mostly these have been centred around original albums, but that's not been the case with the Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong titles. An 8 or 9 CD box in this series could pull together all of the movie songs in one place for around £30, and would be the way to go, in my opinion. Fans who didn't have the complete masters set would buy it because of the sound upgrade, and no doubt it would be good value for money for new fans too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Sussex-Columbia-Album-Masters/dp/B008S80PCE/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376940551&sr=1-11&keywords=complete+sony

However, the Elvis set would have to move away from the album entries, and use the compilation formula such as the Louis Armstrong set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Okeh-Columbia-RCA-Victor-Recordings/dp/B008S80PPG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376940672&sr=1-3&keywords=complete+armstrong+sony

As I see, ideas are by the thousands, Yes, why not? If such a box-set would be launched Sony will have to find the angle to pitch it with a good timing to market it.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Steamstan wrote:I have searched quite a lotfor Ann Margret solo numbers and found them only as a movie versions, not professional studio recordings so if they'll be released then everything else should be released : outtakes, mono masters, radio ads, writer's demos, etc :| so I'd rather see a book about VLV like summer of 61 with a cd containing mono masters for single and EP, new outtakes + released on vinyl only, writer's demos, radio ads, and some acetates + movie versions along with Ann Margret solos, as a completig to VLV FTD edition and not LE

I have Appreciaion on an official cd, but My Rival is nowhere available. Or is it?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... svegas.htm but I found on my computer another version with 26 tracks and 2 of them are instrumentals called ''Rusty Rocks'' and ''The Courtship''. The cd is called ''Viva Las Vegas Outtakes And More''

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 am

Steamstan wrote:http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/V/vivalasvegas.htm but I found on my computer another version with 26 tracks and 2 of them are instrumentals called ''Rusty Rocks'' and ''The Courtship''. The cd is called ''Viva Las Vegas Outtakes And More''

That was a bootleg. I never got that vinyl. Thanks for the tip.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 am

CD 1: Omaha June 19 1977 Multi-track
CD 2: Rapid City, June 21 1977 Multi-track
DVD: The CBS concert re-edited including Trying to get to you, Unchained Melody, if you Love Me let Me Know, And I Love You So, hawaiian wedding song & It's Now Or Never.

One can only hope

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:54 am

Tornado wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

As I see, ideas are by the thousands, Yes, why not? If such a box-set would be launched Sony will have to find the angle to pitch it with a good timing to market it.

The other sets in the series have sold well without angles or timings. Cheap but quality product in attractive packaging is always likely to see, as the 20 Original Albums set showed last year. That set, going by early box designs, was originally to include soundtracks but then didn't include any, making me wonder if a soundtrack set is going to be forthcoming at some point.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:22 am

It would be great to see another 20 Original Album box from Sony. Please let it include at least:
Elvis
Loving You
King Creole
Elvis Christmas Album
For LP Fans Only
A Date With Elvis
It Happened At The World's Fair
Kissin' Cousins
Harum Scarum
Paradise, Hawaiian Style
Spinout
Double Trouble
Speedway
Back In Memphis
C'mon Everybody

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 am

"Having Fun On Stage With Elvis" is long overdue.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:29 am

midnightx wrote:"Having Fun On Stage With Elvis" is long overdue.

Why not a serious response like the rest of the members who have contributed so far in this thread. :facep:

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:52 am

It would have to be a 2xCD set, methinks.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It would have to be a 2xCD set, methinks.

I hope its a joke :- :D we certainly don't need this one anywhere soon. That was a Colonel Parkers's scheme to do the one and only thing he cared about: $$$$$. Please stick to the topic.
As I said before FTD should speed the original true professionnally recorded material and forget for a while, I'd say a year, the soundboards. There will be plenty of soundboards to collect for years to come after that for those who dig that stuff. But first things first: RCA's original and outtakes. It's about time.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I would like to see a For LP Fans Only/A Date With Elvis Legacy Edition treatment.

I could see that... but with having ABFT and YMWTBB all of these tracks are already available superb quality... I was hoping for a one-two of Elvis' Golden Records and Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2... but I guess the same can be said for those two releases given what we have from FTD.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Well today I picked up Elvis Country, Elvis Presley, and Aloha From Hawaii Legacy edition CD's, to go along with the On Stage and From Elvis In Memphis I already had.

Very much look forward to listening to the Aloha concerts, get a chance to hear them after work this evening, the old CD I have from (1998?) is about used up to the point of no return.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm

One day, THE celebration will be the end of the line of FTD, closing it's task at gathering in an orderly manner all Elvis's music. In a way that will be a sad day but a great achievement to celebrate.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Tornado...wishful thinking as far as Legacy coming out with a box set of movie songs....It will NEVER happen....The Legacy series has always been album focused, and you should know by now that movies on cd do not sell. Command Performances did not sell, in 1997 or so "Can't Help Falling in Love" a movie compilation did not sell, in 2007 the double cd "Elvis at the Movies" flopped, and we all know how badly the Double features sold....even the budget priced movie soundtracks released a few years ago did not sell, hence SONY did not release any more of those....As far as soundboards on FTD, your idea of releasing all the studio albums now, and waiting at the end of the FTD label to release soundboards is ridiculous....face it, soundboards sell very well, even Jorgensen has confirmed this...FTD will and should continue to release a mix of studio albums, as well as soundboards, vinyl albums and books. Yes it would be nice to see a movie Legacy release, but it will not happen....

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Patrick68 wrote:Tornado...wishful thinking as far as Legacy coming out with a box set of movie songs....It will NEVER happen....The Legacy series has always been album focused, and you should know by now that movies on cd do not sell. Command Performances did not sell, in 1997 or so "Can't Help Falling in Love" a movie compilation did not sell, in 2007 the double cd "Elvis at the Movies" flopped, and we all know how badly the Double features sold....even the budget priced movie soundtracks released a few years ago did not sell, hence SONY did not release any more of those....As far as soundboards on FTD, your idea of releasing all the studio albums now, and waiting at the end of the FTD label to release soundboards is ridiculous....face it, soundboards sell very well, even Jorgensen has confirmed this...FTD will and should continue to release a mix of studio albums, as well as soundboards, vinyl albums and books. Yes it would be nice to see a movie Legacy release, but it will not happen....

Do we know the bargain release of soundtracks didn't sell - or did Sony simply not continue them? My understanding from the local HMV store was that they sold very well, all things considered, and the rotation of titles available there seemed to indicate that, too. As for the double features, considering every Elvis fan must have bought them when they came out as that was their first time on CD and sometimes contained rarities, I would imagine that Sony would be very happy if a back-catalogue Elvis release sold in those numbers today! The argument regarding the set of 9CDs containing all movie tracks is that "lots of music for little money" sells - this is why items such as the 20CD Elvis set sold quite well - they look like a bargain. They have the "not sure I'll like it all, but I'll get it anyway" mode of buyers written all over it, which is why Sony are continuing that series this year with yet more jazz entries and a Johnny cash 20 CD set

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Sony You MUST release the remaining soundtrack albums PLEASE:

It Happened At The World's Fair
Kissin' Cousins
Harum Scarum
Paradise, Hawaiian Style
Spinout
Double Trouble
Speedway
C'mon Everybody

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm

midnightx wrote: ... "Having Fun On Stage With Elvis" is long overdue ...

I hope FTD do this. It is a real Classic (negative) and an important footnote to the marketing and all the things Elvis-Fans buy.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 pm

The 50's soundtracks would be nice in a Legacy Series release. LMT, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 pm

poormadpeter, the budget priced soundtracks did not do well, except for Viva Las Vegas which sold in the 50-60,000 range. If they had done well, SONY would have continued, they would not have decided not to continue if they made money with the first batch. The only soundtracks that might get a Legacy treatment would be the first 4 movies, and maybe Blue Hawaii, G.I Blues, besides that??? I seriously doubt they will do any other on the legacy label. Hope I am wrong.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Patrick68 wrote:poormadpeter, the budget priced soundtracks did not do well, except for Viva Las Vegas which sold in the 50-60,000 range. If they had done well, SONY would have continued, they would not have decided not to continue if they made money with the first batch. The only soundtracks that might get a Legacy treatment would be the first 4 movies, and maybe Blue Hawaii, G.I Blues, besides that??? I seriously doubt they will do any other on the legacy label. Hope I am wrong.

I wasn't referring to a legacy edition, simply a boxed set release. 50-60,000 is a huge number of sales (and, I would say, unlikely, even for VLV - that would have resulted in high chart placing, surely?)

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Would love to see the Essential Elvis series re released as either a box set, or 2fers Legacys, also be great to get a TTWII/ON TOUR 2fer, either a soundtrack or rehearsal type of deal .......

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I could use a good chuckle....how bout (just of kicks) "Elvis Sings For Children And Grown-ups Too!" with bonus tracks, of course. :smt026