Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question: What Will Be The Next Sony Legacy Release

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:45 pm

1. A 40th Anniversary Release of the "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" show remixed and remastered along with either the remaining March, 1974 Memphis shows (via soundboard) and / or the June, 1975 and the July, 1976 Memphis shows (also via soundboard).

2. A 50th Anniversary Release of a complete album soundtrack of the film "Viva Las Vegas" with the 2 Ann-Margret solo numbers included, tied in with a re-release of the film by Warner Bros.

3. A 60th Anniversary mainstream release of "A Boy From Tupelo" with the possibility of including the wire recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget."

4. Something other than the above three options.

Re: Question: What Will Be The Next Sony Legacy Release

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:06 pm

The next LE release will be called ''I'm just man, not a king'' and will have 2 cd with masters and outtakes recorded in Elvis' homes in '73 and '76, along with a dvd of Elvis In Concert :D
But seriously what do You mean by complete VLV soundtrack? The FTD version? :? Or just the masters? Beacuse it was released complete in 2010 along with other soundtracks.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Steamstan wrote:But seriously what do You mean by complete VLV soundtrack? The FTD version? :? Or just the masters? Beacuse it was released complete in 2010 along with other soundtracks.

It didnt have the solo numbers that original poster mentioned,also one of the duets was missing on recent soundtrack edition.
I can live without AM solo numbers :D

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 pm

I have searched quite a lotfor Ann Margret solo numbers and found them only as a movie versions, not professional studio recordings so if they'll be released then everything else should be released : outtakes, mono masters, radio ads, writer's demos, etc :| so I'd rather see a book about VLV like summer of 61 with a cd containing mono masters for single and EP, new outtakes + released on vinyl only, writer's demos, radio ads, and some acetates + movie versions along with Ann Margret solos, as a completig to VLV FTD edition and not LE

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Do we need more Legacy releases? Certainly the live Memphis album could not be considered a historically significant release. Most of his really important albums have been done.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:56 pm

stevelecher wrote:Do we need more Legacy releases? Certainly the live Memphis album could not be considered a historically significant release. Most of his really important albums have been done.

"Love Letters From Elvis" for example...

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: suggestion #1.

I can't see Sony releasing below par (both sonically and in terms of performance) soundboard recordings as part of a Legacy package.

Then again, as Jimmy Cool pointed out, they did include Love Letters From Elvis in a previous set.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 pm

UEPS (Belgian fanclub) announced some two weeks ago that next Legacy release will be Elvis 30#1 Hits combined with Second To None. They're usually well informed.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Steamstan wrote:I have searched quite a lotfor Ann Margret solo numbers and found them only as a movie versions, not professional studio recordings so if they'll be released then everything else should be released : outtakes, mono masters, radio ads, writer's demos, etc :| so I'd rather see a book about VLV like summer of 61 with a cd containing mono masters for single and EP, new outtakes + released on vinyl only, writer's demos, radio ads, and some acetates + movie versions along with Ann Margret solos, as a completig to VLV FTD edition and not LE

I have a feeling that one of the songs was released by accident on an AM CD release, but I can't remember which one. Someone else might have a better memory than me.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Daryl wrote:Question: What Will Be The Next Sony Legacy Release

Do you mean Sony Legacy Edition release?

Josee wrote:UEPS (Belgian fanclub) announced some two weeks ago that next Legacy release will be Elvis 30#1 Hits combined with Second To None.
They're usually well informed.

But are you well informed, Josee?
Are you referring to the next Sony Legacy release or Sony Legacy Edition release?

My guess for the next Sony Legacy Edition release is ELVIS ~That's The Way It Is.
Disc One = Original album with some bonus tracks
Disc Two = Complete unreleased Las Vegas concert from August 1970

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Steamstan wrote:I have searched quite a lotfor Ann Margret solo numbers and found them only as a movie versions, not professional studio recordings so if they'll be released then everything else should be released : outtakes, mono masters, radio ads, writer's demos, etc :| so I'd rather see a book about VLV like summer of 61 with a cd containing mono masters for single and EP, new outtakes + released on vinyl only, writer's demos, radio ads, and some acetates + movie versions along with Ann Margret solos, as a completig to VLV FTD edition and not LE

I have a feeling that one of the songs was released by accident on an AM CD release, but I can't remember which one. Someone else might have a better memory than me.

"Appreciation" is / was downloadable on Amazon from "Bachelor In Paradise: Cocktail Classics From M-G-M Films."

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:04 am

Blue River wrote:
Daryl wrote:Question: What Will Be The Next Sony Legacy Release

Do you mean Sony Legacy Edition release?

Josee wrote:UEPS (Belgian fanclub) announced some two weeks ago that next Legacy release will be Elvis 30#1 Hits combined with Second To None.
They're usually well informed.

But are you well informed, Josee?
Are you referring to the next Sony Legacy release or Sony Legacy Edition release?

My guess for the next Sony Legacy Edition release is ELVIS ~That's The Way It Is.
Disc One = Original album with some bonus tracks
Disc Two = Complete unreleased Las Vegas concert from August 1970

Sorry for the misinformation. It's a Legacy re-release. I forgot that there is a difference between Legacy and Legacy Edition.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 am

A few good suggestion posted already.

My submission would be a Sony Legacy Edition of For LP Fans Only/A Date With Elvis. To flesh it out for bonus songs they could include a few songs that were still not on LP by 1959 and a few 50s masters not released at all until the 60s or later.

I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
Don't Leave Me Now (Jailhouse Rock EP version)
Let Me
Lover Doll (King Creole Vol 1 EP version)
Danny
Doncha Think Its Time (45 version)
Your Cheatin Heart
Ain't That Loving You Baby

No need to include the masters that were included on the Loving You expanded that picked up the remaining 50s masters like Tell Me Why etc. And if they REALLY want to do it up. They could have both the best recent masters and the inferior LP masters that added echo and compression. The 45 and EP masters were much better than the masters they used for these two LPs.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 am

Another box set for Legacy Edition would be WWGAH vol 1 and vol 2 with original mono masters. No bid deal on the 50s material, but quite the rarity for the 60s and 70s material.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 am

Having Fun With Elvis On Stage is long overdue for an official CD release. A 2014 date seems about right since it would mark the 40th anniversary of the Boxcar/RCA release.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:30 am

TTWII is the likely option in all honesty. I also think that, at some point, there will also be His Hand In Mine/How Great Thou Art - although it will be pointless as we already have that material in the new remasters on I Believe. Blue Hawaii/G I Blues is also a possibility.

I didn't even bother getting Aloha in the end, despite the alternate concert being on there in presumably better sound.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:17 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Having Fun With Elvis On Stage is long overdue for an official CD release. A 2014 date seems about right since it would mark the 40th anniversary of the Boxcar/RCA release.

Really?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 am

skatterbrane wrote:Another box set for Legacy Edition would be WWGAH vol 1 and vol 2 with original mono masters. No bid deal on the 50s material, but quite the rarity for the 60s and 70s material.

I absolutely agree, skatterbrane! :smt023

Please see my posts on the "50 worldwide gold award hits vol 1" thread, and let me know what you think of my ideas over there.

Thanks - Blue River

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Blue River wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Another box set for Legacy Edition would be WWGAH vol 1 and vol 2 with original mono masters. No bid deal on the 50s material, but quite the rarity for the 60s and 70s material.

I absolutely agree, skatterbrane! :smt023

Please see my posts on the "50 worldwide gold award hits vol 1" thread, and let me know what you think of my ideas over there.

Thanks - Blue River

I always thought they should do this at some point. That or a box set featuring the original mixes of each and every one of Elvis' singles (mono / stereo). The one thing that could be added to "Elvis, The Other Sides: Worldwide Gold Award Hits Volume 2" is that in the planning stages, there were several selections, according to the 1996 CD reissue that didn't make it onto the set. These were:

The four songs from the "Peace In The Valley" extended play. They had just been included on the 1971 Camden budget LP "You'll Never Walk Alone" instead.

"I Believe"
"(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)"
"It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)"
"Take My Hand, Precious Lord"

Three B-sides from 1969-1970
"Rubberneckin'"
"My Little Friend"
"Mama Liked The Roses"

"My Baby Left Me" (This was listed twice by accident)

These 8 were replaced by "Dixieland Rock," "Crawfish," "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do!," "Hot Dog," "Lonesome Cowboy," "Mean Woman Blues," "Trouble" and "Young Dreams." These 8 songs were from the extended plays "Loving You" (EPA 2 1515) and "King Creole Vol. 2" (EPA 4321).

It might not be a bad idea to come up with a new third volume in the 50 Worldwide Gold Award Hits. Of course, they could include the seven ommitted songs from vol. 2 and add the mono mixes of other singles from the 60's and early 70's as well as the mono mixes featured on the disk jockey promo copies from 1971 onward. These would include:

"Merry Christmas Baby" / "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
"Until It's Time For You To Go" / "We Can Make The Morning"
"He Touched Me" / "Bosom Of Abraham"
"An American Trilogy" / "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
"Burning Love" / "It's A Matter Of Time"
"Separate Ways" / "Always On My Mind"
"Steamroller Blues" / "Fool"
"Raised On Rock" / "For Ol' Times Sake"
"If You Talk In Your Sleep" / "Help Me"
"Promised Land" / "It's Midnight"
"My Boy"
"T-R-O-U-B-L-E"
"Bringin' It Back" / "Pieces Of My Life"
"Let Me Be There" (1977 promo only)
"Guitar Man" (1981)

The "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" / "Take Good Care Of Her" promo was issued in stereo for unknown reasons. There are a number of mono mixes I'm aware of from outside the U.S. including a mono mix of "The Last Farewell" and a mono mix of "Little Darlin'" from Canada.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 am

The next celebration, IMHO, would be to revisited Elvis's movie recordings; picking the cream of the crop in a three or four cd format. I know some fans despise this part of Elvis's career. I do not. Still It was an important part of his musical legacy and he did a good job in many types of songs for the soundtracks. Now lets remember that Sony Legacy series is for the main public, not hardcore fans. And there is enough music in the Hollywood stuff he did to please anybody who sees that Elvis didn't want to be his whole life boxed in the rock n' roll chart: Elvis was bigger than that. We had Command Performances a couple years ago and another one (I don't remember the title of the cd set) what presented a compilation of movie songs; why not make it the ultimate of the genre this next year.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:11 am

# 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:11 am

The next celebration, IMHO, would be to revisited Elvis's movie recordings; picking the cream of the crop in a three or four cd format. I know some fans despise this part of Elvis's career. I do not. Still It was an important part of his musical legacy and he did a good job in many types of songs for the soundtracks. Now lets remember that Sony Legacy series is for the main public, not hardcore fans. And there is enough music in the Hollywood stuff he did to please anybody who sees that Elvis didn't want to be his whole life boxed in the rock n' roll chart: Elvis was bigger than that. We had Command Performances a couple years ago and another one (I don't remember the title of the cd set) what presented a compilation of movie songs; why not make it the ultimate of the genre this next year.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:12 am

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:TTWII is the likely option in all honesty.

I agree with that although not sure what it would be paired with... they blew it when they included Love Letters with Elvis Country instead of TTWII.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:03 am

I'm all for a That's The Way It Is legacy addition, also would love for Viva Las Vegas, one of my all time favorite soundtracks!