Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When did Elvis become "safe"?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:43 pm

In the '50s, Elvis was considered a subversive element in society. Those swiveling hips of his were tearing at the moral fabric of America, at least from the point of view of more conservative figures, and he was a threat to the social status quo, he himself as a (seemingly) provocative guy and his music and what it represented. He was a teen idol, a rebel, someone out of the norm, out of the mainstream....

My question is, by what point did Elvis become "safe"--Acceptable and accepted by mainstream America, by those same conservative types who blasted him and all he stood for in 1957, when he became more than just a teen idol, more than just a rebel rocker popular with the kids?

Re: When did Elvis become "safe"?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Clark Gable wrote:In the '50s, Elvis was considered a subversive element in society. Those swiveling hips of his were tearing at the moral fabric of America, at least from the point of view of more conservative figures, and he was a threat to the social status quo, he himself as a (seemingly) provocative guy and his music and what it represented. He was a teen idol, a rebel, someone out of the norm, out of the mainstream....

My question is, by what point did Elvis become "safe"--Acceptable and accepted by mainstream America, by those same conservative types who blasted him and all he stood for in 1957, when he became more than just a teen idol, more than just a rebel rocker popular with the kids?

When Elvis sang 'Peace In The Valley' on Ed Sullivan and Ed declared that Elvis was a "real decent, fine boy!" and that he was "thoroughly alright".

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:10 am

Probably when he went in the army, did his two years, seemingly without special treatment, and then came back and changed his style to the softer pop music of the 1960's. It really helped that he was a terrific ballad singer too.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:44 am

Don't you know the answers to some of these questions?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 am

I'd say when he did G.I. Blues. But for sure when he left the serious movies like "Flaming Star" and "Wild in the Country" and started to do family movies.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:44 am

For himself, when he used a prophylactic.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 am

The Frank Sinatra Timex Special was the official time he became accepted by the establishment. But yes, it started with his last Ed Sullivan appearance. It was not a point in time, but a calculated process. And the fact his fans grew up with him didn't hurt! During Elvis stint in the Army, rock faded a bit and the likes of Pat Boone, Gene Pitney, The Bobbies Rydel, Vinton and Vee, Roy Orbison, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka etc became popular and rock was only later revived with the British Invasion to a younger crowd. What a difference 5 or 6 years makes!

Elvis' own tastes changed and the Colonel helped the transition.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Exellent explanation above about the Timex special. That was indeed the define moment Elvis became mainstream instead of
what some called him: " that hillbilly kid with his n...r music " :cry:

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Elvis always was "safe". He was a good Christian boy, he love his parents, he don't drink, he don't smoke ...

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 pm

He just took amphetamines and synthetic opiates.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:40 pm

You know that my post was ironic or?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 pm

It was smart for Elvis to become "safe". It widened his audience. that's why people of all ages went to his shows.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 am

I think it just happened gradually and included the events mentioned here.

I've always thought it would have been a great interview to find some of his early critics, such as city officials who had him banned or filmed by police while he performed, who spoke against him as if he and rock n' roll were the devil, and see if their opinions had changed by the 1970s or 80s.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 am

Winston wrote:Elvis always was "safe". He was a good Christian boy, he love his parents, he don't drink, he don't smoke ...

he did smoke actually, some photo's proof that. and yes i know u meant it as irony :D ..

on topic... I would say Peace In The Valley on the Ed Sullivan Show, I think this showed his spiritual style, aswell as ed sullivans help of saying elvis was a ''Fine young boy''

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 am

1960 - everything about that year. The Timex show, GI Blues, gospel LP and the ballads he released that became huge hits

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm

r&b wrote:1960 - everything about that year. The Timex show, GI Blues, gospel LP and the ballads he released that became huge hits

I have to agree with you here, we never saw the rough rugged side of Elvis again til 1968.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 am

Clark Gable wrote:In the '50s, Elvis was considered a subversive element in society. Those swiveling hips of his were tearing at the moral fabric of America, at least from the point of view of more conservative figures, and he was a threat to the social status quo, he himself as a (seemingly) provocative guy and his music and what it represented. He was a teen idol, a rebel, someone out of the norm, out of the mainstream....

Do you have even one of the major Elvis Presley biographies?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Not anymore, no. Left it at my ex's house, never getting it back. Thanks for continuing to gun for me though ;)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 am

Clark Gable wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Not anymore, no. Left it at my ex's house, never getting it back. Thanks for continuing to gun for me though ;)

I'm not "gunning" for you, but your words don't add up.

Almost 7 months ago you posted (under your "Errol Flynn" login) that you bought Elvis books (plural) for your "fiancee" and you had yet to read one:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Errol Flynn wrote:I don't have any Elvis biographies. My fiancee is a big Elvis fan and she got me into him and I'm new to it. I've bought her some Elvis books but haven't gotten the chance to read them myself.

I have just one word to say:

Go for it! ;-)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74462&p=1121295#p1121636

So, now, the story is that you have an "ex" and you left it (singular) at her house?

And in 7 months, you've read nothing? And here you are, asking the SAME questions?

This all sounds very odd and, quite frankly, like a lot of baloney.

Why are you doing this on our forum?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 pm

:lol: Busted. I already had the idea that alot of folks inhere who call themselves Elvis fans just post just to kill time
and use valuable forum space to justify their actions. I'm waiting for the forum Police to delete all stupid question
topics who are there only to add more post to someone his account or ask because of the asking instead of real
honest questions wich has been never heard or asked before.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 pm

By 1957 Elvis became somewhat "safe". He released radio-pop like "Too Much", "Teddy Bear" and "All Shook Up", sang "Peace In The Valley" on television and even issued a gospel-EP of the same name. It was obvious, that Colonel Parker and RCA tried to make Elvis more acceptable for a conservative audience. Nevertheless there still was subversive stuff like "Jailhouse Rock" or "Santa Claus Is Back In Town!". The image-change was completed in 1960, so I guess that's when he became really safe.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 am

Looks like ol' Clark has left the building...

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like ol' Clark has left the building...

New clark will be back maybe as spencer tracy or Humphrey Bogart

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Re: When did Elvis become

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 am

keninlincs wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like ol' Clark has left the building...

New clark will be back maybe as spencer tracy or Humphrey Bogart

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

:lol:

True enough.

If he does return, I recommend, for web surfing: www.amazon.com -- select "books." Barnes and Noble is fine, too, but the Kindle Paperwhite is the best e-reader. It actually helps you read faster, and with better concentration. I am speaking of the unique reading progress function.

Just a suggestion.

rjm

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Clark Gable wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I'm not "gunning" for you, but your words don't add up.

Almost 7 months ago you posted (under your "Errol Flynn" login) that you bought Elvis books (plural) for your "fiancee" and you had yet to read one:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Errol Flynn wrote:I don't have any Elvis biographies. My fiancee is a big Elvis fan and she got me into him and I'm new to it. I've bought her some Elvis books but haven't gotten the chance to read them myself.

I have just one word to say:

Go for it! ;-)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74462&p=1121295#p1121636

So, now, the story is that you have an "ex" and you left it (singular) at her house?

And in 7 months, you've read nothing? And here you are, asking the SAME questions?

This all sounds very odd and, quite frankly, like a lot of baloney.

Why are you doing this on our forum?

1) Yes, I bought a couple of books--FOR HER. As presents on our every month anniversaries, Christmas, and other special occasions. Given I was with her 24/7 I didn't have much time to read them, though I did read bits and pieces of Elvis Day By Day, which I'd gotten for her. I think I got her two more books last year, but again, I only had time to flip through them. I also bought her From Elvis in Memphis and the Aloha from Hawaii live album on Vinyl.

Since writing I had yet to get any books on Elvis, I did buy myself Me and a Guy Named Elvis by Jerry Schilling and it was quite enlightening. But, I haven't been able to buy anymore because I'm kind of broke. Being with my ex cost me a lot of money over the course of our relationship.

2) She is an ex because we were together from April 2012 to May 2013. I refer to her both as my ex-girlfriend and as a fiancee because we were unofficially engaged. We were never formally engaged so I think it is alright that I use both terms. But we did have rings. I left the book at her house because we part time living at her house, part time at my own (At her home two to three days a week, the rest at my home).

Why am I doing WHAT? Asking deleted - see guidelines #2 questions?