Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis featured on website Celebrity Rants

Sat May 10, 2003 4:21 pm

This website features a variety of celebtrities sounding off in ways that are supposed to be humorous and embarrassing (I guess). It features an overweight Elvis with his infamous "tirade" regarding his alleged drug use. Obviously, this is not a good thing to us Elvis fans. Let's hear your comments on it. Go to: http://www.celebrityrants.com/

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 6:46 pm

That speech is actually taken from the closing Las Vegas show of September 2, 1974, rather than a 1975 concert as the website suggests, and the photograph they have used for the animation was taken during 1977. I’m not defending Elvis’ September 1974 performance, but the website has obviously tried to distort the facts, and make things look worse than they actually were. Elvis summer 1974 Vegas season was not without problems, but his physical appearance was much better than it was in 1977.

The second clip is also from 1974 and is taken from a concert in College Park, Maryland on September 28.

Sat May 10, 2003 6:57 pm

Thanks for the actual information on the website's Elvis dialogue. After reading your reply I realized that this is pretty obscure stuff- I mean certainly the casual Elvis fan would probably not have ever heard this if it wasn't posted on the site. I don't think EPE has ever released the dialogue on a CD or anything. I know there are bootlegs with this dialogue. So who tipped off the web site to it? I know there's no answer to that. I guess I'm just making an observation. Thanks again.

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 8:43 pm

As I understand it there are no copyright restrictions on the spoken word, and many fan clubs have released a number of “talking only” CD’s. Back in the 70’s Colonel Parker put an album out called “Having Fun With Elvis On Stage” which featured no music, but just humorous dialogue from a number of Elvis shows. Since then the bootleggers have issued several additional volumes featuring dialogue from a number of different shows that (like Elvis’ comments on the Celebrity Rants site) wasn’t always humorous.

A soundboard recording of the complete concert from September 2, 1974 has been released unofficially on the Fort Baxter CD “Desert Storm”. The same label also released a soundboard recording of the College Park show, on a 4CD box set titled, “A Profile - The King On Stage Volume Two”.

I wasn’t surprised to see the dialogue from the Vegas show posted on the Celebrity Rants site, as it has been around for years on various unofficial releases, and I have even heard it used on Radio broadcasts about Elvis life and career. For me it was more surprising to hear the dialogue form the College Park show, as this show has only been issued as part of the “Profile” set, and I didn’t think Elvis’ performance that night was a talking point outside of his own fan base. Then again with the countless file sharing programmes that are now available, even “rare” recordings are becoming commonplace.