Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Listened to it all the way through and it is frankly the worst concert I have ever heard by any artist ever. As someone said earlier in this thread, the management should have pulled everything he was doing, made him listen to this and at least tried to sort things out. The screaming fans are an embarrassment too.

Elvis slurs, whines and mumbles through the gig, it is pathetic. He is so f*cuked out of his head he should never have gone onstage. I'd have asked for my money back.

Elvis is my hero and this was like listening to a drunk bloke walking home from the pub, singing.

Gonna go now and listen to some real Elvis.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 pm

From RMM (Page 586)
Lamar Fike;
The worst performance I ever witnessed was in Houston Texas. That morning he was so loaded we had to throw him in a cold shower to try to bring him around. He was damned near overdosed. When the cold water hit him he didn't even know it, he was that screwed up.
When he went on stage that night he did 22 minutes and forgot all the songs. Then he walked off stage and got in the bus. He wouldn't have even done those 22 minutes if we hadn't thrown him in the shower. He didn't remember doing the show. He didn't even remember where he was. He came by me and said, "Where the **** are we?" I said , "Well I can promise you it wasn't Secaucus, New Jersey. "He said, "Don't get funny. "I said, "Were in Houston." Which was one of his big towns. I said, "You've got to watch what you're doing because you don't know what's out there."
It didn't register. He didn't pay any attention to it.They were booing and everything. I think they even asked us not to come back. That was in '74.But he didn't care. He would cancel a show at the drop of a hat. If he was straight ,that would have never happened in a thousand years.

I know Lamar said it was in 1974 but it sound like the same show as this one. Too me there was no excuse as not to act when something like this happened, knowing how Parker wanted to know everything Elvis got up to, you can be sure he was informed about this.Was this the time that O'grady got involved with finding out who Elvis' suppliers were? I believe Parker was behind getting Hookstratten to do this and not Vernon,did he do this as a result of this show?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 pm

jacob wrote:From RMM (Page 586)
Lamar Fike;
The worst performance I ever witnessed was in Houston Texas. That morning he was so loaded we had to throw him in a cold shower to try to bring him around. He was damned near overdosed. When the cold water hit him he didn't even know it, he was that screwed up.
When he went on stage that night he did 22 minutes and forgot all the songs. Then he walked off stage and got in the bus. He wouldn't have even done those 22 minutes if we hadn't thrown him in the shower. He didn't remember doing the show. He didn't even remember where he was. He came by me and said, "Where the **** are we?" I said , "Well I can promise you it wasn't Secaucus, New Jersey. "He said, "Don't get funny. "I said, "Were in Houston." Which was one of his big towns. I said, "You've got to watch what you're doing because you don't know what's out there."
It didn't register. He didn't pay any attention to it.They were booing and everything. I think they even asked us not to come back. That was in '74.But he didn't care. He would cancel a show at the drop of a hat. If he was straight ,that would have never happened in a thousand years.

I know Lamar said it was in 1974 but it sound like the same show as this one. Too me there was no excuse as not to act when something like this happened, knowing how Parker wanted to know everything Elvis got up to, you can be sure he was informed about this.Was this the time that O'grady got involved with finding out who Elvis' suppliers were? I believe Parker was behind getting Hookstratten to do this and not Vernon,did he do this as a result of this show?

I agree that it is probably Houston '76 Fike is discussing, perhaps conflated a bit with the disastrous Sep-Oct '74 experience. I don't recall any evidence that management retained legal counsel to ferret out Elvis' suppliers.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:16 pm

You could say Elvis had his show so down pat, he could do it in his sleep. This show proved it!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 am

jacob wrote:From RMM (Page 586)
Lamar Fike;

This is very interesting (no doubt Lamar is talking about 1976 here) as it proves people around him did confront him with his misbehaviour.

Texas (Elvis country!) got a sad goodbye with this show and keep in mind the Amarillo'77 gig wasn't that great either.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:06 am

I'm listening to the show now. OUCH.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 am

What a waste ...

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 am

minkahed wrote:What a waste ...

INDEED!!!

Lets us all not forget the obvious here.

While Elvis miscalculated the effects of the drugs in his system for this particular show, he had been acting this way for some years before this, and continued to do so until his death. ANY person who experiences progressive harm to their own being (at least) as the result of their drug taking yet continues the same behaviour through lack of care or in Elvis' case - denial - MUST be mentally ill. No sane person would act in this way.

While it was Elvis' responsibility to do something about his condition, it wasn't his fault that he was an addict. Elvis was a classic addict who paradoxically had astonishing will power. This is demonstrated throughout his career of ups and downs - having the astonishing ability to be totally consumed in a task or period leading up to an event and EXCELLING, and then experiencing an accelerated downward spiral only to repeat the same behaviour again. The highs get lower and the lows get lower until the end.

Everyone around Elvis facilitated his path of destruction which only fuelled Elvis delusion of reality.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am

I think he talked about Detroit, September 29, 1974 AS. Not quite sure, though..

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 am

yes one of the amazing errors that continues to amuse me is how shows in 74, 76' were apparently just a few songs ran for 20-30 minutes etc and finished early.... now with regarding to Detroit 74 maybe elvis ONLY sang for like 40 minutes etc and same in the Houston 76' show, but facts are he was indeed 'on stage' for twice as long... say 82 minutes in Houston 76'...yes they were 'bad shows' but great deal of myth + eggsageration as to their true running time~! :?

hurry up Darrin Lee...tell us how it REALLY was~ :wink: :P :shock:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 pm

The release would have been of any value if it would present a much better performance than what the newspaper reviews have written about. I'm pretty sure that the Audionics team had to pay big money for the soundboard, but imo it would have been better to not release the recording at all.

What is hardly to believe is that the audience, especially the ones you can hear on the recording - maybe the first ten to fifteen rows - seemed to have the time of their life and didn't realize that the singer they came to see was only physically present. It's obvious that Elvis can't perform any of the songs in a proper way.In comparison to the Houston show, the closing show from September 2, 1974 in Vegas sounds fine to me.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Joern wrote:The release would have been of any value if it would present a much better performance than what the newspaper reviews have written about. I'm pretty sure that the Audionics team had to pay big money for the soundboard, but imo it would have been better to not release the recording at all.

What is hardly to believe is that the audience, especially the ones you can hear on the recording - maybe the first ten to fifteen rows - seemed to have the time of their life and didn't realize that the singer they came to see was only physically present. It's obvious that Elvis can't perform any of the songs in a proper way.In comparison to the Houston show, the closing show from September 2, 1974 in Vegas sounds fine to me.

Perspective....that's why this needed to be released.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm

ekenee wrote:
Joern wrote:The release would have been of any value if it would present a much better performance than what the newspaper reviews have written about. I'm pretty sure that the Audionics team had to pay big money for the soundboard, but imo it would have been better to not release the recording at all.

Perspective....that's why this needed to be released.

It's almost no surprise that the newspapers didn't write proper concert reviews at all at the time when he lived. Often the writers even get the songs right! We had concerts like "The Bicentennial Experience", "Southbound" and "New Haven" before so we surely know what to expect from Houston. So I'm not sure that it had to be released only to find out that it wasn't that bad as it was reviewed in the newspapers - or as you call it: to get the correct perspective. Elvis obviously had lost control. He didn't even realized that he was ruining his own legacy big time. He wasn't taking care of nothing at the time.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 am

In his mind, I'm sure he was thinking that he was doing his job despite all and taking care of business, and in a way he was doing just that by fulfilling his committment, but he was no longer clear-minded enough to correctly assess his own bad condition and able to conclude that he really had no business being on a stage in that condition.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 am

James27 wrote:In his mind, I'm sure he was thinking that he was doing his job despite all and taking care of business...

James, it's doubtful Elvis was thinking anything at all during this sad performance... :(

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 am

LesterB wrote:

INDEED!!!

While Elvis miscalculated the effects of the drugs in his system for this particular show, he had been acting this way for some years before this, and continued to do so until his death. ANY person who experiences progressive harm to their own being (at least) as the result of their drug taking yet continues the same behaviour through lack of care or in Elvis' case - denial - MUST be mentally ill. No sane person would act in this way.

While it was Elvis' responsibility to do something about his condition, it wasn't his fault that he was an addict. Elvis was a classic addict who paradoxically had astonishing will power. This is demonstrated throughout his career of ups and downs - having the astonishing ability to be totally consumed in a task or period leading up to an event and EXCELLING, and then experiencing an accelerated downward spiral only to repeat the same behaviour again. The highs get lower and the lows get lower until the end.

Everyone around Elvis facilitated his path of destruction which only fuelled Elvis delusion of reality.

You need to read up on addiction, and how it affects people. Denial does not always equate with being mentally ill.

Substance dependence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_dependence#Brief_overview

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 am

Again, I disagree. The number of live Elvis tapes is finite. Elvis died 36 years ago. Houston '76 will never be an official release. It was recorded from the soundboard. Only the hardcore fans know about Houston '76. Only a certain number of those hardcore fans will want to own a copy of the bootleg release. None of the hardcore fans who own the CD will have any delusions about what it contains, and what it means.

So it is perfectly fine that Audionics located this tape and issued it as an "import."

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LesterB wrote:

INDEED!!!

You need to read up on addiction, and how it affects people. Denial does not always equate with being mentally ill.

Substance dependence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_dependence#Brief_overview

Many thanks for this, Doc :lol:

If you like I can send you an extensive summary of the clinical material covering the subject over the last 40 years or so, that I prepared as part of my research degree. Incidentally, the research summary has been distilled from well over one hundred clinical research papers.

In essence, physical addiction is observed as a co-morbid condition whereby clinical data shows that around 80% of those seeking treatment for their addiction have mental health problems too. These typically come in the form of personality disorders. Of course, most addicts do not seek any help as they experience a "diminished recognition of significant problems with [their] behaviors and interpersonal relationships".

See the American Society of Addiction Medicine Policy Statement adopted in 2011 http://www.asam.org/advocacy/find-a-pol ... -addiction

Addiction is characterized by2:

Inability to consistently Abstain;
Impairment in Behavioral control;
Craving; or increased “hunger” for drugs or rewarding experiences;
Diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships; and
A dysfunctional Emotional response.

Again, my research summary has been distilled from well over one hundred clinical research papers.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Boy, it's a shame you spent all that time doing research, Lester.

You could have just used Google and found the information on Wikipedia! :wink:

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Not near as bad as it's made out to be imo. Elvis is stoned and does a bit of slurring... big deal, that's rock n' roll. If you want beautiful vocals just buy the original recordings or listen to Perry Como and Bing Crosby. The best way to avoid hearing Elvis singing below par is NOT TO BUY SOUNDBOARDS! To buy them or listen to these type concerts knowing how Elvis sounds and then come on here and glory in it is human frailty itself, so you guys are weak like Elvis but in a different way. Get over yourselves!

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 pm

My analogy to people slowing down to look at a car accident still stands, even if it made some beloved regulars around here a bit uneasy! :wink:

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm

It never made me uneasy at all. I get all of the releases anyway, so there wasn't much of a chance that I wouldn't be getting this. I never was one to slow down and gawk at a car accident. However, if buying this release that I would have purchased anyway puts me in that category, I guess I'm one of those.

This time, anyway.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:24 pm

No offense intended, Rob. I just don't understand why any Elvis fan would spend time listening to something like this when the man left us so much great music to enjoy.

It just seems kind of morbid, in a way. Maybe that's just me.

Then again, I'm not a self-proclaimed "scholar." :wink:

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:28 pm

I won't buy this thing as I'm pretty well aware it'll end up on the shelf after listening to it just ONCE. But I will give it a spin anyway and decide for myself. That said, I never listened to the gruesome "Bicentennal" or the New Haven show in full. Maybe I won't even listen to the full Houston show either. Didn't even listen to Tuscaloosa in ages.

I'm at the point where I rather listen to "Elvis Is Back!" or "From Elvis In Memphis" for the zillonth time than to a soundboard recording. Or the audience recording of "The Final Farewell".

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm at the point where I rather listen to "Elvis Is Back!" or "From Elvis In Memphis" for the zillonth time than to a soundboard recording. Or the audience recording of "The Final Farewell".

Amen to that!