Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Robert wrote:
Did you notice Audionics doesn't mention anything about Elvis performance?
A smart move....

Yes, they know how to sell the product! My guess is that the concert does not sound as shocking as you could expect after reading about it. That's only a guess of course, but this is what happend with the Collage Park catastrophe.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 pm

norrie wrote:
Robert wrote:
I've always been fascinated by what happened that afternoon.
The release is like opening pandora's box.

Do I look forward to it?
No.

That about sums up how I feel about this.I've read about this show and what a disaster it was, now we get to hear for ourselves.It won't be a pleasant listen but I'm still intrigued.

norrie

Same here Norrie,because im a fan and have listened to Elvis for most of my life and have been a fan of his music,i want to hear it for curiositys sake

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Bill Tanner wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:Nice post Doc, but is this really essential Elvis? The show is an interesting piece of history for us hardcore fans, but at the end of the day it is just a soundboard recording of Elvis completely stoned. Beginning of an end? I would say that he was almost gone already, the serious self-destruction had begun earlier.

It's an essential release if you have a fascination with the decline of Elvis Presley. I doubt many fans of his music will be buying it.

It'll be a big seller, (compared to other recent bootlegs, that is).

No doubt about it!

Some fans are bored with 1969 multitrack recordings, but most of us seem to be excited about this release. Finally we can judge ourselves how stoned Elvis was in Houston! This is history, folks!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:
A smart move....

Yes, they know how to sell the product! My guess is that the concert does not sound as shocking as you could expect after reading about it. That's only a guess of course, but this is what happend with the Collage Park catastrophe.

The thing is though as previously mentioned being a soundboard we won't really be able to gauge audience reaction.We will no doubt hear applause and screams from the unblinking devotees but we can't hear the fans who were shocked and saddened at Elvis' appearance and performance.We will though be able to judge for ourselves how good or bad the performance that night was.

norrie

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:
A smart move....

Exactly. Keep in mind we already have heard a lot of bad stuff from our man.

I recall being at an Elvis Meeting in the 90's and they played "Don't Cry Daddy" from July 24, 1970. When I asked the DJ where this recording is available, he got very angry and responded: "THIS WILL NEVER BE RELEASED, NEITHER OFFICIALLY NOR INOFFICIALLY!". Well, a couple of years later Fort Baxter released a certain two-disc edition from that particular day... :lol:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:17 pm

elvisjock wrote:I fearlessly predict that this show will sound no worse than Hampton Roads, and no better than Tuscaloosa. If I'm wrong, I will eat my scarf.

I agree with you. This is not going to be a good show by any means. However, it will surprise me very much if this is not the typical show from the summer of '76.

I look forward to hearing this once and for all.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 pm

norrie wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:
A smart move....

The thing is though as previously mentioned being a soundboard we won't really be able to gauge audience reaction.We will no doubt hear applause and screams from the unblinking devotees but we can't hear the fans who were shocked and saddened at Elvis' appearance and performance.We will though be able to judge for ourselves how good or bad the performance that night was.

norrie

I can see your point, and I agree. And on the other hand: to really judge a show you have to attend it. The recording is only a recording and sometimes audience and soundboard recordings sound very different than the music that you experience in the concert. Too bad for the "deep fans" that CBS did not film this historical event...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:
A smart move....

Exactly. Keep in mind we already have heard a lot of bad stuff from our man.

Certainly enough material around to get a full picture of Elvis' decline.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:Some fans are bored with 1969 multitrack recordings, but most of us seem to be excited about this release. Finally we can judge ourselves how stoned Elvis was in Houston!

The Elvis world is full of wacko's. We rather hear Elvis during one of his greatest dissasters than in his abselute prime.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Alexander wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:Some fans are bored with 1969 multitrack recordings, but most of us seem to be excited about this release. Finally we can judge ourselves how stoned Elvis was in Houston!

The Elvis world is full of wacko's. We rather hear Elvis during one of his greatest dissasters than in his abselute prime.

Like somebody stated before, it's called "morbid fascination".

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:37 pm

This will be a very interesting listening. Pål Granlund and Stein Erik Skar, the two norwegians, were at the show and I have heard their stories so it will be interesting to finally be able to hear the concert.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Keep in mind we already have heard a lot of bad stuff from our man.

Which is precisely why this show more than likely will not be a shock to us. For those seeing Elvis for the first time (and some who saw him before), I can see where this would be a shocker. For those of us who have heard shows like Hampton Roads '76, Omaha and Madison, we pretty much know what to expect. If this is worse than those performances, this fan will be surprised.

Alexander wrote:The Elvis world is full of wacko's. We rather hear Elvis during one of his greatest disasters than in his absolute prime.

Not exactly. This is a show that many hardcore collectors want to hear to judge for themselves how bad it actually was. For years, we have heard that it was a total disaster and that Elvis was lucky to have stayed vertical for the entire show. We can now find out for ourselves if it was as bad as we've heard. Especially when compared to the shows I've mentioned above. The difference between this "disaster" and a show in his "absolute prime" for me is that this one will more than likely be played once and put away.

The "absolute prime" shows will be played time and time again -- and enjoyed tremedously.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Alexander wrote:

Nonsense.
I don't think anyone would rather hear this than Elvis in his prime but in order to get the complete story of our man and understand the decline you have to hear shows like this.This show has a reputation as being one of the poorest Elvis ever gave now we can hear for ourselves if the critics were being too harsh or not harsh enough.Who knows maybe it was just an average 1976 show and the sound problems made the performances seem much worse than they were (doubt it though)
This is a disc that will get one or two spins with little enjoyment I would think but Elvis' 1969 shows are played and raved about regularly by myself as are all the 50's material and other great moments from Elvis' career.

norrie

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Alexander wrote:

Not really. While the Vegas 69 concerts are exactly the same, (i really cant tell the difference between them) we be able to hear one of the infamous talked about concerts. Only, in this case it's a bad one. One of the worst, so they say. I guess it will be a one-time listening. Maybe not. As i started collecting bootlegs at the age of 11, there's still some of that excitement for new unreleased material, through imports. Who would have expect this in 2013?

Johnny2523 wrote:
nevermind wrote:
nyelvfan wrote:What about the other 2 soundboards????!!!!

One is with EP in better health than Houston 1976. The other one, the end of this year.

Whatever EP's condition, its always great to expect a complete new soundboard. At least better than labels like Gravel Road or even worse, Straight Arrow. Re-releases and audience recordings are mostly worthless.

atlanta december '76?

Johnny, you know i can't give any info. :sosorry:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:18 pm

I imagine it will be uneasy listening and as I've heard enough appalling summer '76 gigs already, this fan won't be in the line to pick up a copy.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I still think it is weird that people are mocking over a 1969 multitrack while they get overexcited over the upcoming release of a desastrous show. I - like most of you - do wish to hear every concert for history's sake. Even this one. But I think the excitement is bizar. Perfectly hyped by the Audionics crew with a little help of some on this board.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Alexander wrote:I still think it is weird that people are mocking over a 1969 multitrack while they get overexcited over the upcoming release of a desastrous show. I - like most of you - do wish to hear every concert for history's sake. Even this one. But I think the excitement is bizar. Perfectly hyped by the Audionics crew with a little help of some on this board.

A plane crash usually gets more airtime during the news broadcast than a great romance story.. you've got to seperate the two.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Although I have far too many '76 soundboards already I might sign up for this one if only for the reason Dr. Carpenter stated about it being essential for the Elvis Schollar. I've often wondered about people's assesments of Elvis' 1976 concerts where the early ones, like the march shows and the late ones (October, Some Vegas-shows and, off course, his december tour) being so much better then what Elvis did between those.

But is the Tuscon show really so much worse then Elvis' show in Birmingham in december (I kinda like the Tuscon show and not just for the rare Danny Boy but for Elvis' attitude. He really seems focussed on giving a good show. Most songs are given serious attention. Ok, Jailhouse Rock is throwaway-to-the-max but for the rest I think it's a very credible concert! I also like the soundmix on the album. Even with the much heralded December Tour, Tuscon from june is my favourite 1976 soundboard...)?

Or is Opening night in Vegas december 2nd really so much better then the show in Huntsville in September? To me they all sound alike.

For me, (from what I know off course; i don't have everything) the show that stands out as particularly poor is Elvis' show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco late november. His voice sounds really 'off' to me there. But as far as effort goes..... Most 76-shows that I know off are completely interchangeble afaic. Elvis bellowing out the big numbers covered by the backing vocals and running through the oldies with the utmost disrespect folowed by extensive band intros. I like the Cincinatti-show from march but more for how the show sounds musically rather then Elvis' effort.

But the Summit-concert has always stood out as a significant event so I'll prolly gonna check it out. :P

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Alexander wrote:I still think it is weird that people are mocking over a 1969 multitrack while they get overexcited over the upcoming release of a desastrous show. I - like most of you - do wish to hear every concert for history's sake. Even this one. But I think the excitement is bizar. Perfectly hyped by the Audionics crew with a little help of some on this board.

Just like some are hyping Vegas 69 is the best. Well, it isn't.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:55 pm

I for one won't be checking it out. There were times when our guy shouldn't have been on stage, for whatever reason. I accept those moments as part of who he was and what happened to him, but like watching EIC, I can't do it anymore. It saddens me because I feel for him as a human being, what he must have been going through. That being said, I understand from a historical and scholarly point of view why fans will purchase this.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Let it be said that the historical record on this Houston concert is quite clear.

Music: Elvis Presley
Bob Claypool, Houston Post
Sunday, August 29, 1976

Elvis Presley has been breaking hearts for more than 20 years now, and Saturday afternoon in the Summit -- in a completely new and unexpected way -- he broke mine.

In short, the concert was awful -- a depressingly incoherent, amateurish mess served up by a bloated, stumbling and mumbling figure who didn't act like "The King" of anything. least of all rock 'n' roll.

It made for a sad, pitiful afternoon even though the narrow-minded, but always present, screamers for Elvis bunch were still squealing and jumping through the whole thing. But, on this day there seemed to be less of them than ever. The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.

The show followed the usual format - a warm up set from the orchestra, a short gospel section from J.D. Sumner and the Stamps, a comedy spot by Jack Culhane [sic] and a closing performance by The Sweet Inspirations. That killed 43 minutes, and was followed by a 25 minute intermission.

Finally, the recorded strains of "Thus Spake Zarathustra" filled the hall, the flashbulbs began popping, the screams rolled down in waves ... and ... THERE HE WAS!. The screams were deafening, as always, but on this day the minute Elvis got onstage, people all around me started whispering to each other in shocked tones, about how "fat," how "bad" he looked.

They were right, but that first impression wasn't the worst, because Elvis didn't look "fat" so much as absolutely bloated. His jowls were puffy, his eyes (seen through a telephoto lens) looked horrible, and his sparkly, multicolored brocade vest accentuated his protruding stomach.

Elvis slipped immediately into "C.C. Rider," but the old fire didn't seem to be there. From that moment on, it was a tossup as to which worse - his singing (a generally lethargic, throwaway series of vocals, brightened only occasionally) or his between songs raps (which sounded like a bad imitation of "lovable lush" Foster Brooks).

Every time Elvis - who, as we've all been told, doesn't drink or smoke - said "ladies and gentlemen," it came out like "ladishandshgennlmen"

A stranger sitting next to me - a young blonde woman - said, Oh my God, what's wrong with him? He can't even talk. He can't even finish his sentences!"

Elvis himself said that he'd caught the creeping crud," which several hard-core fans interpreted as a "really bad cold"

Whatever it was, it didn't stop the screaming, and Elvis plunged ahead into "Mean Woman Blues" (one of the height points of the show - Elvis slipped "Amen" in the middle of it, then immediately gritted his teeth and ground his hips at the audience before getting back to "Mean Woman" He was, in small doses, still able to express carnality and spirituality in the twinkling of a rock 'n' roll eye) "Love Me," "If You Love Me, Let Me Know," "You Gave Me A Mountain," a rock 'n' roll medley - the tunes rolled on and on, but few contained any real energy. One exception was his latest single, "Hurt," during which Presley did his most bombastic (and impressive) vocalizing.

Otherwise, he often seemed to be a heartless parody of his former self. He moved very little - his pelvic thrusts were few and far between , and even they were clumsy of all things. He walked the stage in a lumbering fashion, throwing those famous scarves out toward the clutching female hands.

Faithful as always, they still came down front - came bearing gifts (a painting of Elvis, a six-foot long stuffed dog, a small teddy bear, oodles of flowers) It made you realize that if they would command love him on a day like this, then they would always do so - no matter how bad, how ill, how uncaring he would get.

But for some of us, it would never be the same, because the man who had given us the original myth of rock 'n' roll - the man who created it and lived it - was now for whatever reason taking it all back.

And the reason we should have this released is where in that text exactly? Should we really be reliving Elvis's apparantly worst moments on stage? have we not already got enough of those? And the above article, which has for years been used as verifying the historical importance of the show, is by a writer who doesn't know the difference between Mean Woman Blues and I Got A Woman. As I've said before, in all likelihood, this will be better or worse than Hampton Roads, and a big fuss about nothing.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Sure to tarnish any collection. Why would anyone want this garbage?

Read my posts on this topic for at least one reason. ;-)

I understand and respect your points of view, but for me, I don't want to hear it. I don't even want to look at that awful CD cover and be reminded of a time I'd like to forget about when it comes to Elvis.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm

It is what it is... a part of history that cannot be changed. Those who don't want to hear it - fine. I like to judge for myself if it's really THAT bad. Somehow I doubt it.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

poormadpeter wrote:and a big fuss about nothing.

We weren't able to judge for 37 years and soon we can all create our own opinions if we want to.
The audience tape has never been released either and isn't it a nice thought, that after this release things can only get better?

8)

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Robert wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:and a big fuss about nothing.

We weren't able to judge for 37 years and soon we can all create our own opinions if we want to.
The audience tape has never been released either and isn't it a nice thought, that after this release things can only get better?

8)

No.