Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 am

Francesc wrote:I have listened some parts of the concert and I cannot believe some people would say that the concert is not that bad ...

Listen to Jailhouse Rock
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/housto ... roblem.htm

haha deponds on what your 'on' whilst listening (i guess)!~ :roll:

oh Francesc,,.. your link for the sound samples is for 'all shook up' + 'america' no 'jailhouse rock'
Last edited by YDKM on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 am

Francesc wrote:I have listened some parts of the concert and I cannot believe some people would say that the concert is not that bad ...

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

Mine arrives tomorrow. It's gonna be a tough listen. America sample didn't sound as bad as Jailhouse Rock though... Or All Shook Up...WTF. No more wine. Time for bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by paulsweeney on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 am

sherrlon12 wrote:There are some excerpts of the show on youtube and to me it's not as bad as some people are letting on.

Where's Charlie Brown when you need him?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

paulsweeney wrote:

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

Mine arrives tomorrow. It's gonna be a tough listen. America sample didn't sound as bad as Jailhouse Rock though.

The sample of Jailhouse Rock is so bad, it sounds like All Shook Up...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 am

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

Thanks Francesc..... all I can say is, "Oh my."

rlj

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 am

I agree with Elvis-Fan and I haven't even heard the whole show, Certainly one you want to get just to see what all the bad talk was about concerning this show, then put it on the shelf.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 am

elvis-fan wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

Mine arrives tomorrow. It's gonna be a tough listen. America sample didn't sound as bad as Jailhouse Rock though.

hahahaha I messed up ... I guess I just woke up. I meant All Shook Up ! :facep:

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:31 am

Francesc wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

:D Hilarious..... you mean just like Elvis 'woke up'!~ :smt005

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 am

Pretty much.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 am

stevelecher wrote:
LesterB wrote:..... not sure if this will make page 29 but here goes.

I received my copy this morning and, as others have mentioned, it is not as bad as feared. However, this is one of the few times since Elvis' death that I have really felt for him - horrible to hear him like this - vulnerable and truly lost. If only Parker had asked the police to have a quite word with Elvis - this might have facilitated a rock bottom for Elvis :?:

To cheer myself up, I looked through the Elvis Files volume two and listened to the Jailhouse Rock FTD. After the Young and Beautiful version which is supposed to be the first time he sings after his throat operation in the film, Elvis jokes how bad do you want me to sing this in response to him really dumbing down his singing. How ironic.

The version has to be the one he did in prison or the one in the Club, just after he got out of prison. Those are the versions he sang plainly and soullessly. He is wonderful on the "after the throat operation" version.

Thanks Steve. I should have said 'restrained' singing. Here, one of the sound chaps reminds Elvis that he is singing for the first time after his operation - its then that Elvis jokes about how bad do you want me to sing adding that if it gets any worse he'll be thrown out the studio.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:00 am

elvis-fan wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

Have a listen to Funny How Time Slips Away - 'howmy doin', we'll I guess I'm doin' fine'. Elvis sounds like he is about to fall over - HORRIBLE :(

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 am

Francesc wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:

Listen to Jailhouse Rock

My hands are shaky and my knees are weak
I can't seem to stand on my own two feet

Quite true that fateful day...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Upon reading the many reviews of Elvis At Stax (for which I am not sure are re-worded from the liner notes or wherever, but for the most part they're pretty positive to Elvis' creative achievements and abilities in 1973), most are making note of Elvis' demise happening from the last two years of his life rather than from the generalised "from 1970 onwards" brigade. Although that's not exactly right, for me, from late 1975, and especially from mid 1976 EP was on the course of no return. But if the public are going to have general perceptions, I'd prefer this than that of the entire 1970s being a write off. I think a huge thanks to Ernst & Roger is appropriate for this change in attitude both from the Stax release and for all of their work since the '50s masters box set.
Anyway, just an observation that for me was relevant to the Stax release and the Summit release.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 pm

stevelecher wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
sherrlon12 wrote:There are some excerpts of the show on youtube and to me it's not as bad as some people are letting on. Check it out and see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keH3yi8h1z8

"It's awesome!"

Riiiiiight.

I'm disappointed that anyone that cares about EP would post a second of this on youtube. That sucks.

I agree. No need for that

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm

I've just listened to it and both Elvis and his management should have been ashamed of themselves. I also blame the screaming fans who must have thought this type of performance was acceptable.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Played this cd today,,,,,what a sad show,a painful listen.
The sound quality is simply fantastic for a soundboard recording....and the band is also great.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Perhaps it might have had some impact on Elvis if all he heard were "crickets" after he was finished singing/slurring See See Rider... now that would have been something!

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 pm

this show should have never been released...even on bootleg

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 pm

No they should have played Elvis the soundboard and asked him if he'd go to see someone like that! After a performance like that management should have had a crisis meeting on how to resolve the situation, starting with the cancellation of all tours until Elvis was medically and mentally fit to undertake them.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm

jacob wrote:No they should have played Elvis the soundboard and asked him if he'd go to see someone like that! After a performance like that management should have had a crisis meeting on how to resolve the situation, starting with the cancellation of all tours until Elvis was medically and mentally fit to undertake them.

The MM yes men probably told him 'good show, good show'.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:29 pm

These two samples did nothing to change my opinion that this is by far the worst I've ever heard him.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm listening to the full concert right now (i reseived it ealier today).
With a cup of coffee.. so far its a tough listen.. altough the jokes are all elvis his singing is sad..
ironic.. before ending i got a woman elvis says to JD ''Your out of breath!''.. its elvis who's out of it all this afternoon

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 pm

No, without me. I listen to America from FTD. :shock:

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm

CC Rider - Only the ending, nothing much to say

I Got A Woman-Amen - Sluggish.. Below Average version

Love Me - Messy, Elvis can't keep in pace and when the band is ready to end the song, elvis isnt.

If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - Wow... This is messed up not a good live version and also has feedback problems near the end.

You Gave Me A Mountain - elvis is here and there out of tune on the song, i heard a worse version of this song, but this doesnt mean this version is good.. i rate this as a ''average'' version, Feedback problems here aswell.

All Shook Up: ironic ''can't seem to stand on my own two feet'' is true in every sence.. Most versions are trowaway versions, this one is aswell

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel - Same thing.. Elvis even misses the opening. Elvis can't keep pace once again.. worst version i've heard by far.. Omaha actually sounds good now.

And I Love You So (With False Start) - ''time off for gatoraid'' elvis notes. and says ''just a minute, uhhhhhh... the band is to loud.. i cannot hear myself (elvis says in slowmotion).
the song restarts... Elvis sings ''okay'' still out of tune at parts.. the line ''all but love is dead'' sounds very depressing.

Jailhouse Rock: The band is doing great.. Elvis starts of okay before messing it up.. below average live version.. ''whole rhytm sectionandthepuplegang''

Fever: an ''ok' live version, not good.. not bad..

America the Beautiful (with reprise) - Starts of out of tune in some places.. ''godda shed his grace on thee'' its an ok version.. the reprise is a little bit better.

Polk salad annie: An okay live version.. certainly not the best.. But not bad, and jerry's solo is cool!. The band is kicking ass.. Elvis is just driving along.

Is this really the same person who gave great shows during sept/oct/nov/dec '76??..

We continue with the way to long introductions that run for aprox 20 minutes (combined with the solo's).. Way to long.. Not interesting at all elvis talks with fans and reseives a hat. mine.. mine is it mine whatami gonna do with it. whatdoyawant huney elvis says and the girl says ''youuuuuu'' in a orgasmic way. What I say.. Johnny Be Goode.. Trowaway..2 solo's for jerry scheff.. the band does their solo's well.. whats important to note more?. School days is fair.

Hurt - The worst live version i have ever heard! Elvis can't keep pace not even hit the notes.. even this song doesnt save this concert.

funny how time slips away ''well..welll.. what key we in? godd!!'' - Howmadoin' well i guess im doin fine.. not a good live version.

can't help falling in love - nothing special.. not even a good ending..

Conclusion: certainly the worst concert i have ever heard... People who think omaha '77 is bad should listen to this and then to omaha.. Omaha actually sounds good now!.
I bought it.. I Listened to it.. now its time to put it away... Forever

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 am

I just listened to this. It's kind of a low roller coaster ride. He's asleep when he starts out and slowly wakes up a little as we head toward PSA. After the introductions he seems to run out of gas and settle back into his onstage nap. It's obvious that what ever uppers he took before the show weren't enough to totally wake him up and then wore off after the introductions. Great sounding soundboard though!