Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 pm

People sometimes make factual mistakes when describing an event. It’s the way it is. And this false info gets repeated until it becomes a "fact". Like the reports about Elvis collapsing on stage in Baltimore in ’77, or him closing a Las Vegas show in ’75 with ‘Take My Hand Precious Lord’. Just because someone wrote it doesn’t make it a fact.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Rock Legend wrote:If there had been more, then they would have made it into a 2CD set. The recording is complete. Elvis did mention the sound-problems, but not as much as Wiley remembers. No big deal, sometimes we remember things a certain way, and then when confronted with hard facts like a recording, you realize that it was not exactly as you remembered it.

Same with the shrieking ladies, they are there on the original tape. It would require a lot of hard work, plus some very high tech editing (i.e. Elvis communicating with them) to pull that off… besides, what would the point be.

As for certain songs not being there, there’s many mistakes on these lists that you see on the net. Same with info about suits and attendances. I certainly would not use any of that info for reference. Believe me, there would be absolutely no logic in removing songs. But if you really want to believe that Elvis was on stage for longer than 82 minutes in Houston, then feel free to do so :wink:

There is logic and that is, bootleggers have been releasing edited concerts for as long as I remember, only to later release the complete show.
Why is that so out of the question? This has only happened about 1000 times in the last 30 years.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 pm

With the import market being what it is today, with most imports selling less than 750 copies, I think there would be very little point in saving a more complete version for release in about 5 years. By then, the Elvis import market will be dead as a dodo.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Robert wrote:I know reviewers could be inaccurate, but why would Wiley make up the 'sound truck' story?
A story that was true by the way.

Next to Alexander, Geoffrey Mc Donnell mentioned the very same thing:
saying once again here that his " normal " sound System got turned over in a truck and so he’s using a substitute system-but NO amount of his explaining can make up for the poor results! Why Elvis refers to this poor sound around 4-5 times during this show!.

Did you notice this line in that same review:
Some people call him old and others call him overweight. He may be, but the 10,000 fans who saw him last Friday still call him King.

Well, Houston show took place on a Saturday, so that review is actually about the show in San Antonio...where they had to use a substitute sound system with speakers on stage. Are we certain that it's from Houston News, as there was a WIley Alexander writing for San Antonio Express-News...?

http://www.texasmusiccoalition.org/template.php?page=memory_WileyAlexander.php

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 pm

The debate on whether this show is edited seems settled.

It is pretty clear that Wiley Alexander's perfunctory review covers the 8-27-1976 (Friday) gig in San Antonio, and was likely published in the 9-01-1976 (Wednesday) edition of the San Antonio Express-News.

- there is no paper called the Houston News
- Wiley is famous as the music critic for the San Antonio Express-News
- as noted, Wiley cites the day of the performance: "... the 10,000 fans who saw him last Friday still call him King."

San Antonio Express-News
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Express-News
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is pretty clear that Wiley Alexander's perfunctory review covers the 8-28-1976 (Friday) gig in San Antonio, and was likely published in the 9-01-1976 (Wednesday) edition of the San Antonio Express-News.

- as noted, Wiley cites the day of the performance: "... the 10,000 fans who saw him last Friday still call him King."

Thanks for confirming this - I was not aware that there was no Houston News. If I were to nitpick after reading that Wikipedia link, I'd point out that in 1976 there were two papers by the same publisher: San Antonio News & San Antonio Express - they only merged into Express-News in 1984 - so Alexander's review was in San Antonio Express. :smt002 I wonder why they published it so many days after the event?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/about_us/article/San-Antonio-Express-News-History-Part-3-Wild-in-798457.php

San Antonio News also published a review the day after the concert under a title "Elvis And Fans Were Meant for Each Other"

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The debate on whether this show is edited seems settled.

It is pretty clear that Wiley Alexander's perfunctory review covers the 8-28-1976 (Friday) gig in San Antonio, and was likely published in the 9-01-1976 (Wednesday) edition of the San Antonio Express-News.

San Antonio Express-News
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Express-News

Not quite. The show still could be edited.

The reasoning rock legend uses is reasonable, but not conclusive.

But the part about the review being for another show, that closes that case.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:If I were to nitpick after reading that Wikipedia link, I'd point out that in 1976 there were two papers by the same publisher: San Antonio News & San Antonio Express - they only merged into Express-News in 1984 - so Alexander's review was in San Antonio Express.

Possibly not. As early as April 1978, Wiley Alexander is cited by AP as "the country music editor on the San Antonio Express News," which is why I left the full name in my post. If the original 1976 article ever surfaces, we'll know for sure.

780412_Victoria Advocate p11C.JPG
Victoria Advocate - Tuesday, April 12, 1978

The review may have been published days afterwards because Elvis was no longer a priority in music coverage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Nothing was edited...the RT matches another tape.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Rock Legend wrote: I think there would be very little point in saving a more complete version for release in about 5 years. By then, the Elvis import market will be dead as a dodo.

What???? This scares the sh*t out of me! Just when new SB's are being released I'm completely back in the 90s and you go and burst my bubble!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Nothing was edited...the RT matches another tape.

Is there another tape? I though the Summit show was not avaialbe before in any form. Unless... you're referring to a tape (the master one?) Ernst/FTD may posses and to which you might have had access?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:29 pm

I do believe what 'rock legend says' and also the relevance of the San Antonio concert review. still many people would say Elvis being on stage for 82 minutes in Houston was too long that day~! :?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is pretty clear that Wiley Alexander's perfunctory review covers the 8-28-1976 (Friday) gig in San Antonio.....

8-27-1976.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 pm

hm80ep wrote:

Is there another tape? I though the Summit show was not avaialbe before in any form. Unless... you're referring to a tape (the master one?) Ernst/FTD may posses and to which you might have had access?

Among others ..I know the RT..of what is in the vaults...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
hm80ep wrote:

Among others ..I know the RT..of what is in the vaults...

Thanks Cisco.
Is it safe to say the Houston show was never considered for FTD release?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm

100%...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:44 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:
Robert wrote:I know reviewers could be inaccurate, but why would Wiley make up the 'sound truck' story?
A story that was true by the way.

Next to Alexander, Geoffrey Mc Donnell mentioned the very same thing:
saying once again here that his " normal " sound System got turned over in a truck and so he’s using a substitute system-but NO amount of his explaining can make up for the poor results! Why Elvis refers to this poor sound around 4-5 times during this show!.

Did you notice this line in that same review:
Some people call him old and others call him overweight. He may be, but the 10,000 fans who saw him last Friday still call him King.

Well, Houston show took place on a Saturday, so that review is actually about the show in San Antonio...where they had to use a substitute sound system with speakers on stage. Are we certain that it's from Houston News, as there was a WIley Alexander writing for San Antonio Express-News...?

http://www.texasmusiccoalition.org/template.php?page=memory_WileyAlexander.php

Nice work!
There's another mistake on the Elvisconcerts site as the same Houston review is posted twice, under a different newspaper.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Audionics was recently able to locate and purchase the original soundboard tape of this concert, and we are now pleased to announce its release.

Robert wrote:Is it safe to say the Houston show was never considered for FTD release?

Ciscoking wrote:100%...

This discussion is getting more interesting by the minute. :wink:

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 am

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is pretty clear that Wiley Alexander's perfunctory review covers the 8-28-1976 (Friday) gig in San Antonio.....

8-27-1976.

Despite my grievous error, I'm pretty sure the point was clear.

BTW, you only needed to draw a line through the "8," Professor Short-Pants. ;-)

8-28-1976

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 am

no Houston show should NEVER be released!~ :smt002 :?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 am

YDKM wrote:no Houston show should NEVER be released!~ :smt002 :?

Double negative!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Despite my grievous error, I'm pretty sure the point was clear.

BTW, you only needed to draw a line through the "8," Professor Short-Pants. ;-)

8-28-1976

The nerve.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am

YDKM wrote:no Houston show should NEVER be released!~ :smt002 :?

Ever.

I'd love to hear the Astrodome shows, wouldn't you?

drjohncarpenter wrote:Double negative!

He shouldn't never do that.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 am

:cry: well guy's English is my worst subject!~ :|

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am

YDKM wrote::cry: well guy's English is my worst subject!~ :|

Troubled speech fits this topic title doesn't it? :wink: