Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

Historically is relevant. But I feel I can't emotionally listen to the show.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 am

...I wonder if they will give us a sound clip?

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am

I am curious. I doubt it will be good music, but I have always wondered why this particular show stood out for being poor. I always hate to say it, but the summer 1976 shows were so dire on the whole that I wonder what the heck could have happened that day. The Memphis show was the only one of the post Tahoe, pre Chicago 1976 performances that I had fun hearing.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am

Yes it's more than likely a terrible concert, but why is everyone bitching? This is an Elvis Presley CD collectors forum, and any newly discovered unreleased material should be a blessing almost 36 years after his death. I will own this CD because it is what I do, and I am thrilled a soundboard has been found of this show - being good or bad -IT"S HISTORY!

Be thankful we even have a recorded record of this, or any other show for that matter.

Thanks Doc for all the information you have dug up on this topic. I am very appreciative to you.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As noted, it will be an essential purchase for the Elvis Presley scholar, for whom the history, start-to-finish, is paramount.

Exactly.

Although this is going to be far from groundbreaking, its a new soundboard none of us have. We should be grateful they are still coming. I for one will be getting this infamous show and judging for myself.

Thanks all for all the great information on this topic.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am

rjm wrote:It's essential, especially for those who don't believe what has been chronicled historically. At least audio evidence exists. Although visuals would do the job even better.

A story is only true if it's the whole story, and some people deny part of it.

There ARE such people.

rjm

Maybe, but we haven't heard the evidence yet... so we'll see. I think that we already have enough evidence to understand the whole story, this one concert release does not change things THAT much.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am

GregCieslik wrote:Why are you guys complaining. This is a great unreleased recording. Better than getting the same material repackaged. Sony just gave us a 3 CD set with Stax tracks with nothing new.

Support these new soundboard releases.

Exactly my view! For Godsake whats up with some people! WAKE UP !! the man has been gone for 35 years! be thankful we are still getting this material.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am

wanna get an 'idea'about the concert listen to 'old times are not forgotten' to get an 'idea' about the sound quality' and also shows on 27th +29th august 76' to get an 'idea' of what performance would be like-quite similar i guess. then once i(we) have the release we can comment authoritively for sure!~ :P

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am

Robert wrote:
In a way, this is a collectors dream come true.
I do fear the moment when the cd starts spinning though.

A collector's dream come true? This is most likely Elvis' greatest s*it. As a collector I dream of concerts like July 31st 1969...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am

This is a real suprise... a show that was said it would never be released...
Unheard by other then the people in the audience.
Those people are pretty negative about it, very negative.
Curious to hear what they heard, and to give my own judgement.
(The 1977 show in Knoxville is bashed too, but i actualy like it!!)

Thanks Audionics for given us a "new" unheard recording with significance!! :!:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:37 am

promiseland wrote:Yes it's more than likely a terrible concert, but why is everyone bitching? This is an Elvis Presley CD collectors forum, and any newly discovered unreleased material should be a blessing almost 36 years after his death. I will own this CD because it is what I do, and I am thrilled a soundboard has been found of this show - being good or bad -IT"S HISTORY!

Be thankful we even have a recorded record of this, or any other show for that matter.

Thanks Doc for all the information you have dug up on this topic. I am very appreciative to you.

Exactly. BUT I do think the hype created in that "Unreleased soundboard" thread was quite over the top! Still I am curious after this concert.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

I must have a sixth sense, 'cause this is the show I mentioned as a possibility for the pending release. Out of morbid curiosity, but also the hope that it's a better performance than the reviews suggested it was, I think I'm going to get this one.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 am

Garfield wrote:I must have a sixth sense, 'cause this is the show I mentioned as a possibility for the pending release. Out of morbid curiosity, but also the hope that it's a better performance than the reviews suggested it was, I think I'm going to get this one.

This is what it is all about. Thank you for being honest.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am

nyelvfan wrote:What about the other 2 soundboards????!!!!

One is with EP in better health than Houston 1976. The other one, the end of this year.

Whatever EP's condition, its always great to expect a complete new soundboard. At least better than labels like Gravel Road or even worse, Straight Arrow. Re-releases and audience recordings are mostly worthless.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am

nevermind wrote:

One is with EP in better health than Houston 1976. The other one, the end of this year.

Whatever EP's condition, its always great to expect a complete new soundboard. At least better than labels like Gravel Road or even worse, Straight Arrow. Re-releases and audience recordings are mostly worthless.

atlanta december '76?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 pm

nevermind wrote:

And at this very moment I'm listening You'll Never Walk Alone by Straight Arrow...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
nevermind wrote:

And at this very moment I'm listening You'll Never Walk Alone by Straight Arrow...

I listened to that last night again, it's an ok show.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm

nevermind wrote:

The end of 1976? Will it be a Vegas one? A re-release of "Run On" perhaps or a brand new show?

nevermind wrote:Whatever EP's condition, its always great to expect a complete new soundboard. At least better than labels like Gravel Road or even worse, Straight Arrow. Re-releases and audience recordings are mostly worthless.

Guess a re-release of an audience recording will thrill you to the bone. :wink:

Special note: Straight Arrow will release another excellent „double feature“ in late August, a 2CD set with the Las Vegas, September 2nd, 1973 3am & dinner shows, taken directly from original tapes!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I look forward to getting it in the mail

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:

A collector's dream come true? This is most likely Elvis' greatest s*it. As a collector I dream of concerts like July 31st 1969...

I've always been fascinated by what happened that afternoon.
The release is like opening pandora's box.

Do I look forward to it?
No.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 pm

promiseland wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
nevermind wrote:

I listened to that last night again, it's an ok show.

It sure is. I also enjoy the sound of this audience recording. Soundboard recording would probably sound worse: soundboards often sound dry and sometimes unofortunately reveal the weaknesses in Elvis' voice.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Robert wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:

Do I look forward to it?
No.

I have mixed feelings too. I can't deny that I'm curious, but... I'm not sure if everything is worth releasing even in the name of "history"...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
Robert wrote:

Do I look forward to it?
No.

I have mixed feelings too. I can't deny that I'm curious, but... I'm not sure if everything is worth releasing even in the name of "history"...

You can even argue if soundboards are worth releasing as they don't fully represent the circumstances during the concerts.
But in case of Houston, I just hope it's not that painful.

Did you notice Audionics doesn't mention anything about Elvis performance?
A smart move....

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:Nice post Doc, but is this really essential Elvis? The show is an interesting piece of history for us hardcore fans, but at the end of the day it is just a soundboard recording of Elvis completely stoned. Beginning of an end? I would say that he was almost gone already, the serious self-destruction had begun earlier.

It's an essential release if you have a fascination with the decline of Elvis Presley. I doubt many fans of his music will be buying it.

It'll be a big seller, (compared to other recent bootlegs, that is).

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Robert wrote:

Do I look forward to it?
No.

That about sums up how I feel about this.I've read about this show and what a disaster it was, now we get to hear for ourselves.It won't be a pleasant listen but I'm still intrigued.

norrie