Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 am

judge THE SHOW once you have actually heard it then a comment will be VALID!~ :?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 am

Albert Goldman wrote:Nice post Doc, but is this really essential Elvis?

As noted, it will be an essential purchase for the Elvis Presley scholar, for whom the history, start-to-finish, is paramount.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 am

I'm just happy Audionics is back in the fold doing what they do best...releasing unreleased material.....with great packaging to boot. We're back in business folks !! :D :smt023 :smt026

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Doc can you provide a little more color on the cover up by mgmt.? Thank you

The Colonel, who witnessed the entire performance, was beside himself. Not only was Elvis testing the limits of his audience's love, and their continued loyalty to him, he was testing the patience of the Houston policemen augmenting the security force, who, the Colonel realized in a panic, were talking openly of Elvis' condition among themselves. All that was missing was some glory hound who wanted to be the one to take down Elvis Presley. Because everyone knew -- there was no longer any way you could deny the evidence of your eyes.

He got Elvis out of town as quickly as possible, contacting his old friend Bill Williams, entertainment champion of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, to fix things with the cops. There was nothing he could do, however, to stop the review that ran in the Houston Post the following morning. (pg. 606)

Peter Guralnick, Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (New York: Little, Brown & Company, January 8, 1999)

Hope this is "enough color" for you. ;-)

Thanks Doc. Appreciate the insight.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:51 am

The sad story of Houston was also mentioned in an early 1980s CNN feature on Dr. Nick. Host Peter Arnett said "Half the audience walked out." Dr. Nick recalled the conversation with Presley management. They reportedly said they couldn't continue to book Elvis, unless Nick could return, and manage the medications.

Subsequently, Elvis did get his act together, to a significant degree. He lost weight, and gave some very good performances that fall.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 am

Dammit! I would much rather have Tulsa July 4th 1976 soundboard....

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 am

JEFF d wrote:Dammit! I would much rather have Tulsa July 4th 1976 soundboard....

JEFF d
EP fan

i agree and for years i was (hoping) FTD would bring it out!~ :D

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 am

What about the other 2 soundboards????!!!!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 am

Sure to tarnish any collection. Why would anyone want this garbage?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 am

r&b wrote:Sure to tarnish any collection. Why would anyone want this garbage?

ah 'garbage' eh......a 'judgement' made without hearing the show in question!~ :evil:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 am

Did the guys have that tape in 76 played it the next day for Elvis i wonder what he would have thought?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:57 am

r&b wrote:Sure to tarnish any collection. Why would anyone want this garbage?

Read my posts on this topic for at least one reason. ;-)

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 am

It baffles the mind, although of course I have not heard it, but any reason for why this show would have been recorded?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:
GregCieslik wrote:Why are you guys complaining. This is a great unreleased recording. Better than getting the same material repackaged. Sony just gave us a 3 CD set with Stax tracks with nothing new.
Support these new soundboard releases.

The Stax recordings aren't meant for you. Sony have just given you three full-length concerts - how much more would you like?!

As for this concert, well, like others I'm sure it's no worse than some others we have, most notably Hampton Roads. Some will claim it is significant, but really it's not. It's not going to re-write history in any way. It's a 76 show with Elvis probably having a bad night. We have others. Alot of fuss about nothing, as usual. And as predicted.

What do you mean "not meant for me"? Who do you think buys these releases - fans. The general public does not line up to buy Elvis at Stax. There are still unreleased takes from these sessions. But that is beside the point.

The fact is that this is an unreleased recording that should be supported by Elvis collectors.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 am

Houston 1976 Summit show has been discussed here a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34858

It would be interesting to hear your impression when you receive the cd, Rob.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
norrie wrote:'HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM...'

A previously unreleased soundboard recording of Elvis Presley's controversial matinee performance at the Summit in Houston, TX, on August 28, 1976 Label: Audionics 2013-02-2

Over the years, much has been written about Elvis' afternoon concert at the Summit in Houston, TX. on August 28, 1976. The review by Bob Claypool has often been cited in Elvis literature, and the general consensus appears to be that this concert was a real disaster. Some have even suggested that this show was Elvis' worst concert ever, and it has often been a hot discussion point amongst fans. Someone even wrote a book about the show.

And yet, no recording has ever turned up. Not even an audience recording. Much of what we have read so far about this show is based on the Claypool review. But reviews are always subjective, while an audio recording is obviously a more objective means to judge a performance. After a long and exhaustive search, Audionics was recently able to locate and purchase the original soundboard tape of this concert, and we are now pleased to announce its release.

No doubt this newly-discovered recording will generate even more discussion on the message boards, as Elvis fans are now finally able to judge this controversial show for themselves. Audionics has gone to great lengths to find this recording and to bring you something truly new and unreleased. Some import labels are perfectly happy to bring you the same old stuff again & again, but at least we always go that extra mile to bring you unheard material. And, in this case, a historically relevant recording that will now enable you to hear for yourself what really happened that afternoon. Support us and we will continue to bring you more surprises in the future.

The audio quality of this soundboard is topnotch, and the show itself is 80 minutes. The audience sounds like they were having a good time that afternoon, and it’s interesting to hear the one-off return of Jerry Scheff’s bass solo in “Polk Salad Annie” for the first time since 1972/’73. We believe that this significant release will lead to a more nuanced appraisal of this show in the future.

Presented in a deluxe digipack with unpublished photos and relevant liner notes, this is one release that you must own.

Tracklist:

01. C. C. Rider (incomplete) - 02. I Got A Woman / Amen - 03. Love Me - 04. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - 05. You Gave Me A Mountain - 06. All Shook Up - 07. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - 08. And I Love You So (with false start) - 09. Jailhouse Rock - 10. Fever - 11. America The Beautiful (with reprise) - 12. Polk Salad Annie - 13. Introductions by Elvis of Singers, Musicians - 14. Early Morning Rain (John Wilkinson) - 15. What'd I Say (James Burton) - 16. Johnny B. Goode (James Burton) - 17. Drum Solo (Ronnie Tutt) - 18. Bass Solo (Blues theme, Jerry Scheff) - 19. Bass Solo (Battle Of New Orleans theme, Jerry Scheff) - 20. Piano Solo (Tony Brown) - 21. Electric Piano & Clavinet Solo (David Briggs) - 22. School Day (Joe Guercio Orchestra) - 23. Hurt - 24. Funny How Time Slips Away - 25. Can't Help Falling In Love - 26. Closing Vamp / Announcements.
Running time: 79:22

Wow! This is a bit of a surprise. A "new" live tape, and it happens to be this infamous show?

The musical aspects of this release will be secondary to evaluating the concert through the lens of history. But it will be an essential purchase for the Elvis Presley scholar.

For deep fans, this is the true beginning of the end, from the horrific reviews both private and public, to the scrambling behind the scenes by management to cover up what was seen by the many off-duty Houston police officers working show security. Elvis would never again be booked for an afternoon gig, and he would leave us less than 11 months after this show.

For those who care, the title is inaccurate. What Apollo 13 astronaut Jack Swigert actually said was "Houston, we've had a problem here."

Yes, but Tom Hanks in the 1995 movie Apollo 13 says, "Houston We Have A Problem"! As we all know, that trumps what was said in real life! :wink:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 am

from the track listing i note NO 'love letters' is performed!~ :o

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 am

Look closely at the setlist.
Below is a quote from a Super fan posted earlier.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another look at the infamous Houston show, by super-fan Geoffrey Mc Donnell:

The next show following San Antonio was an " unusual " Saturday afternoon Matinee at " The Summit " in Houston-strangely this tour Elvis was going to be performing 2 shows the next day on Sunday 29th.The crowd was VERY LARGE and expectations were HIGH for an " upbeat " show:

Houston - The Summit 28th August 1976 Afternoon Matinee Show r/t 80 minutes

TRACKLIST

2001 Theme/See See Rider/ I Got A Woman – Amen x 2 / Dialogue/ Love Me/ If You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / All Shook Up / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / Dialogue about band too loud/ And I Love You So/ Jailhouse Rock / Fever / America The Beautiful –with reprise / Introductions & solos: Early Morning Rain - What'd I Say - Johnny B.Goode - Drum solo-Bass Solo( x2 )-Piano Solo-Electric Piano Solo/ Love Letters - Hail Hail Rock & Roll / Hurt / Hound Dog/ Funny How Time Slips Away/ Love me Tender/ Dialogue/ Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp.
-----------------------------------------------------------

He lists "Love me tender" as the second to last song, but it doesn't seem to be on this CD.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am

It's essential, especially for those who don't believe what has been chronicled historically. At least audio evidence exists. Although visuals would do the job even better.

A story is only true if it's the whole story, and some people deny part of it.

There ARE such people.

rjm

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 am

i reckon geoff mc donnell made some track-listing errors maybe with a couple of songs... but probably he was/is 90% correct. :wink:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

Sounds interesting to me. Good or bad I rather listen to shows like this instead of "average" and "ordinary" performances without any surprises.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:23 am

ekenee wrote:Look closely at the setlist.
Below is a quote from a Super fan posted earlier.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another look at the infamous Houston show, by super-fan Geoffrey Mc Donnell:

The next show following San Antonio was an " unusual " Saturday afternoon Matinee at " The Summit " in Houston-strangely this tour Elvis was going to be performing 2 shows the next day on Sunday 29th.The crowd was VERY LARGE and expectations were HIGH for an " upbeat " show:

Houston - The Summit 28th August 1976 Afternoon Matinee Show r/t 80 minutes

TRACKLIST

2001 Theme/See See Rider/ I Got A Woman – Amen x 2 / Dialogue/ Love Me/ If You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / All Shook Up / Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel / Dialogue about band too loud/ And I Love You So/ Jailhouse Rock / Fever / America The Beautiful –with reprise / Introductions & solos: Early Morning Rain - What'd I Say - Johnny B.Goode - Drum solo-Bass Solo( x2 )-Piano Solo-Electric Piano Solo/ Love Letters - Hail Hail Rock & Roll / Hurt / Hound Dog/ Funny How Time Slips Away/ Love me Tender/ Dialogue/ Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp.
-----------------------------------------------------------

He lists "Love me tender" as the second to last song, but it doesn't seem to be on this CD.

Psa is not on there so the list is inaccurate anyway.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am

I will, as kind of a tribute, post an exclusive conversation about this show with an audience member.
I saved it years ago and this is the time to share it with you.

Have to dig it up but crying fans on the first few rows and a partial walk out was confirmed by this guy.
You won't hear that on the SB recording.
The sound system failed during several songs which created some anger among the fans (and Elvis), the drops in sound probably won't be heard either.

In a way, this is a collectors dream come true.
I do fear the moment when the cd starts spinning though.

Wonder why Audionics didn't use a Houston cover picture.
There are several decent ones.
Last edited by Robert on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:38 am

I doubt this CD will be a pleasant listen, but I have already ordered it and I consider it to be the most interesting soundboard release for years. I'd much rather have this infamous show than just another ordinary show. It's a very nice surprise that Audionics has found this show, I thought we'd never see a significant release from a bootlegger again. Well, I was wrong. The press release is very professional. Let's hope the artwork and liner notes are of the same high standard.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 am

I find it surprising that ppl would want one of Elvis' worst reported shows... than an "average" show lol

JEFF d
EP fan