Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 pm

epf wrote:That i do agree with and actually i do hope that that happens. Because there were certainly better parts, that is true. Not good but better.

So you don't consider "Trying To Get To You" from RC a good performance?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Xaykev wrote:
epf wrote:That i do agree with and actually i do hope that that happens. Because there were certainly better parts, that is true. Not good but better.

Compared to 1968? Or Memphis 1974? You surely must hear the diifference?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm

epf wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

In all fairness, TTGTY was better in prior years, but that doesn't mean the RC wasn't good.
Elvis did a good job on several songs.
In fact I prefer My Way compared to the Aloha version...

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Robert wrote:
epf wrote:
Xaykev wrote:

In all fairness, TTGTY was better in prior years, but that doesn't mean the RC wasn't good.
Elvis did a good job on several songs.
In fact I prefer My Way compared to the Aloha version...

I do consider a number songs of songs above average but to me these songs were not his best. I agree about My Way. Its poignance is clear.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 pm

OMG, Can't Help Falling In Love is just terrible. Like a man screaming in agony, but a very subtle and sad cry.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:OMG, Can't Help Falling In Love is just terrible. Like a man screaming in agony, but a very subtle and sad cry.

I have to play back but I noticed an early CHFIL intro by Tony Brown right after Elvis' goodbye speech which indicated to me: "Let's get this over with.."

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 am

jurasic1968 wrote:The show is very bad. I compared today Houston August 28 1976 (the worst concert in 1976) with Omaha June 19 1977 (maybe the worst concert in 1977). So, my opinion is : the worst concert of 1977 is better than the worst of 1976. And in conclusion: Houston 1976 I think it was the worst concert Elvis ever gave.

Interesting idea, but of course both year's performances were terrible at times.
Both those concerts are so upsetting, the weird thing about Omaha is we have the sad, sad footage to go with it.

Cheers, Piers

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 am

PiersEIN wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The show is very bad. I compared today Houston August 28 1976 (the worst concert in 1976) with Omaha June 19 1977 (maybe the worst concert in 1977). So, my opinion is : the worst concert of 1977 is better than the worst of 1976. And in conclusion: Houston 1976 I think it was the worst concert Elvis ever gave.

Interesting idea, but of course both year's performances were terrible at times.
Both those concerts are so upsetting, the weird thing about Omaha is we have the sad, sad footage to go with it.

Cheers, Piers

We also have the sad footage of RC.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 am

To take the heat of the secondary Houston topic, here's an interesting piece around the Houston show a year prior.
Reviewed by...... Bob Claypool!

CONCERT DATE: June 4 1975 (8:30 pm). Houston TX.
Music: Elvis Presley
by Bob Claypool
The Houston Post

People who were there 20, 21 years ago still remember it vividly and speak glowingly about it - yes, when young Elvis Aron Presley came to Houston and stalked the stage in places like Cook's Hoedown. He was a fiery, intense young man then, full of tightly-compacted violence and raw emotion. When he sang, when he quivered those loose legs, the girls screamed, and the people who saw him then will tell you in a minute that he always "had it."

Elvis returned to Houston Wednesday night, an older, less-intense, less-threatening figure - BUT, when he quivered either his voice or his torso, the screams still came down loud and long for most of the sold-out crowd, the once and future "king of Rock 'n' Roll" could do no wrong - they lapped up ALL of it, laughing at Elvis' jokes, rushing the stage (women only) to snatch a souvenir scarf from him, jumping up and down, chattering among themselves like giddy schoolgirls (this, mind you, from a number of middle-aged women), but most of all�screaming!

There was no doubt, by concert's end, that he still "had it," but for me (and probably a few other dedicated, not-quite-reformed rockabillies in the crowd) there was the nagging suspicion that Elvis or the Colonel or WHOEVER'S in charge isn't all that certain where to put "it." What I mean is, Elvis could rock 'n' roll a heck of a lot more than he does. Right now, his show, from beginning to end, is a monument to Suburban Pop, and many of the original rough edges have been, sadly, smoothed away.

The first half of the show was given over to sets by backup - vocal groups Voice and the Sweet Inspirations, plus an overlong comedy stint from Jackie Culhane. When Presley came on after the intermission, Hofheinz Pavillion took on a psychedelic effect from the thousands of flashbulbs, and the very air seemed charged by the potential of the man's presence. What followed was a pretty standard Elvis show, beginning with C.C. Rider and I Got a Woman.

Then he did Love Me and a member of the band handed Presley a scarf, which he draped around his neck before moving to the edge of the stage. Then it began - women of all ages would come down, give the bending Elvis a kiss and take the scarf, which would then be replaced. It went on all night, and it gave one a disquieting feeling - as though watching a hoked-up ritual. What followed ran the gamut, from If You Love Me Let Me Know and American Trilogy to Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, All Shook Up and one of his earliest, Mystery Train.

But the high point came during Elvis' blasting rendition of How Great Thou Art, aided by J.D. Sumner and the Stamps, but proving he can still make your spine tingle. The lowest moments came when Presley's movements seemed to be imitations of his old self via Tom Jones. All in all, it was a good show, but, Lord, what I would give to see him without all of those Las Vegas trappings and hokey throwaway numbers.

Courtesy of Scott Hayward

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:09 am

interestingly Bob is pretty critical of the show one year earlier! :?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:Youre all like a dog spinning in a circle trying to catch his tail. All the excitement yet it gets him nowhere.Plus it ceases to be interesting at some point.I can sum it up easily.It was a bad show among many bad shows.That's it.Just another bad show on the road a long time ago.How it rates on the crap meter makes no difference anymore. Ancient history. Move along,nothing to see here.

Balderdash!
Why this topic persists is the inability to accept the reality of Saturday, August 28, 1976 in Houston, Texas, before 17,000 fans.

Hang on drjohncarpenter, can you really say balderdash when to quote a famous philosopher "Everyone has the right to their own opinion, even if it's a corner-case type. ;-)".
Perhaps you should have been a bit kinder about others' opinions on this thread and it wouldn't have reached a crazy 55 pages.
Cheers,
Piers

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 am

I feel the best captured moments on the entire Houston 1976 SOUNDBOARD are the insane ,crazy female fans having orgasms whilst FINALLY getting to greet their HERO!~
in that respect ANY show good,bad or indifferent would have such fans in attendance.... but the clarity of the soundboard picking this up + Elvis spending so much time with them all adds to the balance of 'front row crazy fans' and its the best ever soundboard for hearing THEM!~ :?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 am

YDKM wrote:I feel the best captured moments on the entire Houston 1976 SOUNDBOARD are the insane ,crazy female fans having orgasms whilst FINALLY getting to greet their HERO!~
in that respect ANY show good,bad or indifferent would have such fans in attendance.... but the clarity of the soundboard picking this up + Elvis spending so much time with them all adds to the balance of 'front row crazy fans' and its the best ever soundboard for hearing THEM!~ :?

Bravo ...

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 am

Yes its the fans interaction that makes the concert listening both 'Boring'(because we weren't those fans),terrible for people away from the front row but wonderful for the small handfull who got their scarf+kiss from their Hero.....another terrible show also had a very lengthy fan greeting bit which was the Philadelphia 28/5/77 show..... the band are waiting for him to start the next song :love me, but Elvis spends forever with fans..... :|

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:I feel the best captured moments on the entire Houston 1976 SOUNDBOARD are the insane ,crazy female fans having orgasms whilst FINALLY getting to greet their HERO!~

Bravo ...

I presume this is sarcasm, if so why are you still nit-picking YDKM's review when you have said....
drjohncarpenter wrote:Everyone has the right to their own opinion, even if it's a corner-case type. ;-)

and it is notable that you also previously posted that...
drjohncarpenter wrote: "YDKM,Is there any particular reason you have been compelled to make 93 posts on this topic? Your constant, unyielding defense of this awful performance is a prime reason this subject now approaches the fifty-page mark"

when drjohncarpenter you are still the highest poster on this thread and it is your inability to let YDKM have the right to his opinion that is a prime reason this subject now approaches the fifty-six-page mark.
Cheers
Piers

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 am

FTD should put this show out, no doubt it would be their best seller ever.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 am

Matthew wrote:FTD should put this show out, no doubt it would be their best seller ever.

Maybe right behind New Haven '76?

FTD New Haven 76.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:59 am

At least in New Haven we got 'love letters' and 2 verses of E.M.Rain.....
i still reckon the one verse ONLY of E.M.Rain 2 x J. Scheff solos and no love letters sums up the worst ever 1976 intros from Elvis NO EFFORT AT ALL!~ why even later in Vegas at the late show on Dec 10th he did sing a nice complete version of E.M.Rain!~ :?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 am

I wonder what would happend if COL. Parker confront him with the reviews......

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:19 am

Who cares whether Elvis does Love Letters or Early Morning Rain at shows like these? On a good day, these aren't entertaining. On a good day these intro's ruin the flow and pacing of a show. I can't imagine how sad Love Letters would sound at Houston, with Elvis having no ability to sustain a note or sing with any delicacy.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:20 am

YDKM wrote:At least in New Haven we got 'love letters' and 2 verses of E.M.Rain.....
i still reckon the one verse ONLY of E.M.Rain 2 x J. Scheff solos and no love letters sums up the worst ever 1976 intros from Elvis NO EFFORT AT ALL!~ why even later in Vegas at the late show on Dec 10th he did sing a nice complete version of E.M.Rain!~ :?

The whole point of 10-15 minute introductions was that no effort was required. Mumbling his was through short renditions of Early morning rain, or a funereal paced Love Letters are really of no importance in the great scheme of things. This was simply a period in the show where Elvis had to do nothing (and that's probably why the divebomb routine got longer as years went on as well).

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:02 am

ok so i don't have fans of love letters or E.M.Rain here.... but i very much DO like them and during his better shows these were even sometimes a real 'highlight' for me!~

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:20 am

YDKM wrote:At least in New Haven we got 'love letters' and 2 verses of E.M.Rain.....

In december he was doing complete or near complete versions of "Early morning rain". And they were very nice versions.

As far as "love Letters " goes here it is in order.

1966 studio master----Impeccable.

1970 studio master---of the mark.

1970's live versions---way off the mark.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:26 am

ekenee wrote:

In december he was doing complete or near complete versions of "Early morning rain". And they were very nice versions.

As far as "love Letters " goes here it is in order.

1966 studio master----Impeccable.

1970 studio master---of the mark.

1970's live versions---way off the mark.

Elvis also did that with early morning rain at a few shows in 1977 (Near complete versions) April 23 1977 for example and March 23 1977 (altough incompletely recorded on the audience recording)

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:43 am

boy what a pity the audience recording is incomplete for E.M.Rain on 23rd March show!!..it was maybe his 2nd best show that awful tour!~