Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Could be another interesting topic, but unfortunately the CD is so rare that not even Rob owns it.

Oh, I could still get it if I wanted it.

Well I think you should get it. It's a show from '76 with a new cover and upgraded sound. What's not to like?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 pm

What's not to like?[/quote]

Well 1976 for one.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 pm

jak wrote:My copy hasn't arrived yet. Maybe when I listen to the entire show in the proper fashion I will be mortified and start another thread on it,

Or even better, start a poll.

Disaster Y/N?

:wink:

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 am

jak wrote:
Robert wrote:
jak wrote:My copy hasn't arrived yet. Maybe when I listen to the entire show in the proper fashion I will be mortified and start another thread on it,

Or even better, start a poll.

Disaster Y/N?

:wink:

You sir are a genius.I can't believe somebody hasn't done this already.Isnt the board overdue for a poll anyways?

Yes!
Long overdue but on second thought we may want to divest a little from the Houston gig...

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:40 am

my guess is a 'poll' would have 80% saying Houston was a disaster concert.. people just LOVE putting Elvis ';down' even if he deserves it!~ :roll: :|

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:26 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
PiersEIN wrote: Hi Gang, Super-Collector Geoffrey McDonnell has written a very informative review for EIN.

Forgetting about names, login names etc. When you wrote the above, it would have been helpful for people who didn't know (such as me), if you had identified the guy you were referring to, as the same guy who had already made a number of points on this thread.

Sorry mike edwards66 but it was not up to me to reveal YDKM's real name.
If he wants to write reviews for EIN under another name that is his choice.

Hang on a minute PiersEIN, you subsequently went onto say that he had (in the past) already revealed his name on this very forum. So you wouldn't have been revealing anything, just reminding those who had forgot or advising people who weren't aware.
That's why I said 'it would have been helpful for people who didn't know'.
As it was, your original announcement made it sound as though we could read a 'new take' on the show. When in fact the guy in question had already made a number of points on this very thread.

Hi, mike edwards66, as I said it was not up to me to reveal YDKM's real name,
- however my explanatory reply to your original comment was unfortunately removed by the FECC powers that be - because of some drjohncarpenter comment that the moderators think shouldn't be discussed.
Had my post been left in this thread - as it was meant to, (it did not break FECC guidelines) - you would not be asking me these questions.
Obviously what I said to answer your original post is missing and I cannot re-post the same comment for fear of retribution.
Cheers,
Piers

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:Maybe he didn't want his real name blathered about this message board, which The DOC has now made happen.

Are you completely out of your mind, or simply trying to make others look bad?
Anyone who cares may read your self-promoting post about an "in-depth" review of Houston '76, followed by posts from members with questions and confusion regarding the review, followed by your identifying the reviewer by his forum login name:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78330&p=1209509#p1209509
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78330&p=1210331#p1210331

Thank you.

PLEASE drjohncarpenter don't be so RUDE as to say "Are you completely out of your mind" to me.

drjohncarpenter it honestly seems to a large number of FECC readers that on this issue you are totally losing any logic in your arguments.
Let's check them out..
1 - You drjohncarpenter are the biggest respondent to this particular subject - far more that YDKM (with you now having more than 110 replies) therefore you - above all FECC members - have to be the biggest culprit in keeping this FECC topic active and with over 52 pages.
2 - You drjohncarpenter initially asked for clarification about the EIN Geoffrey McDonnell's review "confusion regarding the review" and I very honestly and without hesitation provided the explanation - along with revealing his alter-ego (with his permission).
This is something drjohncarpenter you are not honest enough to do yourself.
3 - Of course my comment it is a "self-promoting post about an "in-depth" review of Houston '76" - because there are more details featured within the EIN review than are mentioned here on FECC.
I do not understand why you think doing this so bad on an Elvis Forum.
Plus you also self promote your own website - so what is wrong with that?
4 - Above all EIN is a fair and honest website reviewing all kinds of Elvis releases for what they are, looking at them as value-for-money to Elvis fans.
Unlike you drjohncarpenter we bear no personal grudge against any Elvis publication. Whereas most FECC readers understand that you have obvious personal issues against any Jo Pirzada releases and others.
EIN reviews all Elvis releases with no bias, in the same way that FECC's favourite magazine ETM&HM does.
For that reason alone, Elvis fans can benefit from the in-depth EIN reviews over personal opinions such as yours.
Do you disagree?

Cheers,
Piers

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Do you disagree?

He probably does. It seems to be in his nature.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Alexander wrote:He probably does. It seems to be in his nature.

No, what I do is just respond here with a consistently fair, coherent and keen manner on all things Elvis. It's always my goal, whether creating interesting posts, replying to others, or responding to questions no one else cares to answer.

Sadly, this example does not bear fruit with some of our more hypocritical forum members.

But you gotta love the excessive use of bold font. ;-)

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, what I do is just respond here with a consistently fair, coherent and keen manner on all things Elvis. It's always my goal, whether creating interesting posts, replying to others, or responding to questions no one else cares to answer.

Sadly, this example does not bear fruit with some of our more hypocritical forum members.

Please say "Balderdash!" more often. I dig it.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Please say "Balderdash!" more often. I dig it.

Poppycock!

Such a repeated utterance would be considered very bad form.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:So now we know. In order to prevent a show from being a disaster, the performer has to show up and not collapse before the end of the performance.

And it's that kind of thinking that probably killed Elvis Presley. If fans had been just a tad more demanding than that at his shows, he would have been off the road, in hospital or a clinic and getting himself sorted.

Bingo. What's so bleepin' complicated?

Hospitals: they were not real rehabs at all, which certainly were available then. The Scripps Clinic was strongly suggested. And it was then possible to do it without Elvis' consent. (No, not the luxury resort drug/alcohol hotels available today. A bed, bath - but not beyond. ;) {Psst: It's an American linens store chain.})

The fans: if you don't think there is fan complicity in these types of situations, then it's wilful blindness. Which is ironic, because MANY of the fans were wilfully blind. AND, wilful blindness is not "denial." It is lying. I never had the stomach for that.

According to P. Guralnick, the cops were chattering. (One could not pay off *every* police dept., though he really tried.) A bust would have been "a catastrophe," but undoubtedly a good thing for his possible survival. (I think busts have extended the lives of other artists, and sometimes saved them.) But even Peter Guralnick didn't want that to happen. It should have happened. According to O'Grady, in a book by an associate of the Col.'s, Elvis asked him to find out if there was a warrant out there. Around this time. There was not, but if Elvis did ask, he knew exactly what he was doing: balancing on the edge of a cliff.

ANYONE can listen to the show now! It's on YouTube. So, I don't get it. What's to argue about? He wasn't the only one ever to lose it, totally, on stage. Amy Whitehouse comes immediately to mind. Ignore it and they die.

-30-

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by rjm on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:Youre all like a dog spinning in a circle trying to catch his tail.All the excitement yet it gets him nowhere.Plus it ceases to be interesting at some point.I can sum it up easily.It was a bad show among many bad shows.That's it.Just another bad show on the road a long time ago.How it rates on the crap meter makes no difference anymore.Ancient history.Move along,nothing to see here.

Balderdash!

The whole point of this discussion is that most here agree this was not "Just another bad show on the road" -- it was far worse than that, and in fact a dividing line between all that had come before, and all that was to follow.

This was the moment the artist, his associates, and his management all needed to realize major changes had to be made ... NOW.

Nothing of substance was done, and fifty weeks later, Elvis died.

Why this topic persists is the inability to accept the reality of Saturday, August 28, 1976 in Houston, Texas, before 17,000 fans.

The show did cause some changes. Didn't it make them bring back Dr. Nick and end the afternoon shows? Not the appropriate changes but changes none the less. In a nutshell, Elvis' sleeping medication had not worn off by show time. Dr. Ghanam had over medicated him or Elvis added pills on top of what Ghanam gave him because he wasn't monitering him close enough.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 pm

The one-month, two-show a night schedule was scaled back to two weeks/two shows after the 1973 hospitalization. By the end of 1975, he was doing one show a night in Vegas (except for weekends). After Houston, there were no new matinee shows scheduled. Yet, he continued to decline.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Joe Car wrote:
nod3million wrote:This thread has gone on too long. Leave it now everyone

I tried to have this thread shut down 40 pages ago, but noooooo!

No. Shutting down a monster topic is not the solution. It is significant. Has anyone here used Usenet back in the day? (Rhetorical question.) The topic is of great interest, but has become extremely difficult to wade through, because of this interest.

So...
Tech note: I wonder if contemporary forum software exists that can actually "thread" discussions, so members can haggle out a point while the main topic continues apace -- within the same topic, like in Usenet. Gmail has started threading. Perhaps a plugin. Such software may not be available yet, but monster topics begin to contain sub-topics, and are then much hard work to get through.

Not a criticism! Jordan is our genius! He's the best. But the software is what it is. I just wondered if some options were becoming available to truly thread monster topics like this one, for readability. That would help on many levels. Well, maybe in time, such software will include this.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:43 pm

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:Youre all like a dog spinning in a circle trying to catch his tail.All the excitement yet it gets him nowhere.Plus it ceases to be interesting at some point.I can sum it up easily.It was a bad show among many bad shows.That's it.Just another bad show on the road a long time ago.How it rates on the crap meter makes no difference anymore.Ancient history.Move along,nothing to see here.

Balderdash!

The whole point of this discussion is that most here agree this was not "Just another bad show on the road" -- it was far worse than that, and in fact a dividing line between all that had come before, and all that was to follow.

This was the moment the artist, his associates, and his management all needed to realize major changes had to be made ... NOW.

Why this topic persists is the inability to accept the reality of Saturday, August 28, 1976 in Houston, Texas, before 17,000 fans.

The show did cause some changes. Didn't it make them bring back Dr. Nick and end the afternoon shows? Not the appropriate changes ...

Right. And cosmetic adjustments are akin to actually doing nothing.

Which is my point: "Nothing of substance was done ..."

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Balderdash!

The show did cause some changes. Didn't it make them bring back Dr. Nick and end the afternoon shows? Not the appropriate changes ...

I just read something about how the choreographer of Michael Jackson's "This Is It" tour was reprimanded by Jackson's manager and his doctor (Conrad Murray) for letting Michael leave and go home from a rehearsal because the choreographer thought Mike looked ill and weak.

The show must go on! You can't stop the gravy train! Even if Elvis needed that gravy train as well, a good manager would have pulled the plug on touring and tried to get revenue from other sources and attended to Elvis's health (long term vision, long term continued revenue). But we all know, the Colonel was only about short term vision and pay outs.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:52 am

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Balderdash!

I just read something about how the choreographer of Michael Jackson's "This Is It" tour was reprimanded by Jackson's manager and his doctor (Conrad Murray) for letting Michael leave and go home from a rehearsal because the choreographer thought Mike looked ill and weak.

The show must go on! You can't stop the gravy train! Even if Elvis needed that gravy train as well, a good manager would have pulled the plug on touring and tried to get revenue from other sources and attended to Elvis's health (long term vision, long term continued revenue). But we all know, the Colonel was only about short term vision and pay outs.

Elvis needn't have been a puppet. You can't blame everything he did on other people. He had a tongue in his head, too.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:05 am

minkahed wrote:I just spoke with an amazing and humungous Elvis Presley collector today and he also sells original Lp's, 45rpm's, 78's, etc etc ...

Is it ironic or not that the guy told me he sells double of his inventory of any release of Elvis in '76, than any Elvis album RCA Records released in the 1950's ????

Somebody explain this ...

its called: morbid fascination.

not a measure of quality.
so stuff it.....

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 am

poormadpeter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Balderdash!

Elvis needn't have been a puppet. You can't blame everything he did on other people. He had a tongue in his head, too.

But he did let himself be a puppet. That's the tragedy. Elvis didn't want to stop the touring either because he needed the money. He needed a caring manager with long term vision and long term goals to tell him, "OK, no more touring until you get your act together." And then concentrate on other revenue sources like merchandising, commercial endorsements etc. He sold the rights to his back catalog just before the big 50's revival with American Graffiti and Happy Days. Just think how much money he could have made with all the 50's compilation albums if his songs were on that. RCA made a fortune on selling his records over TV. A huge lose of potential revenue!

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 am

eligain wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Balderdash!

But he did let himself be a puppet. That's the tragedy. Elvis didn't want to stop the touring either because he needed the money. He needed a caring manager with long term vision and long term goals to tell him, "OK, no more touring until you get your act together." And then concentrate on other revenue sources like merchandising, commercial endorsements etc. He sold the rights to his back catalog just before the big 50's revival with American Graffiti and Happy Days. Just think how much money he could have made with all the 50's compilation albums if his songs were on that. RCA made a fortune on selling his records over TV. A huge lose of potential revenue!

The catalog was actually sold DURING the 50's revival. Grease began in '71. Life Magazine ran a '72 feature about Elvis and the resurgence of all things 50s. American Graffiti came along in '73, and Happy Days the following year.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

matilda wrote:
minkahed wrote:I just spoke with an amazing and humungous Elvis Presley collector today and he also sells original Lp's, 45rpm's, 78's, etc etc ...

Is it ironic or not that the guy told me he sells double of his inventory of any release of Elvis in '76, than any Elvis album RCA Records released in the 1950's ????

so stuff it.....

phpBB [video]

rjm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Apologies, drjohncarpenter, but if you look back you will find that I was in fact only following your lead in your previous post (that I was replying to) where you decided to used bold noting ..... "your identifying the reviewer by his forum login name:"
I thought, as you presumably did, that it might make some points easier to understand.
Cheers,
Piers

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:47 am

elvisjock wrote:
eligain wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Balderdash!

The catalog was actually sold DURING the 50's revival. Grease began in '71. Life Magazine ran a '72 feature about Elvis and the resurgence of all things 50s. American Graffiti came along in '73, and Happy Days the following year.

True, but the 50's revival really went full swing after American Graffiti became popular and with the popularity of Happy Days in 1974. Parker never had his finger on the pulse of popular culture and I bet he wasn't even aware of Grease. Parker was clueless as to what was going on in the country and he always was. I guess RCA snowed The Colonel!

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 pm

matilda wrote:

so stuff it.....

Like you do your pants ?