Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

YDKM wrote:Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.

You can actually see blank stares in the audience of the Elvis in Concert special.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 pm

YDKM wrote:Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.

Actually, that IS what he was saying - that there were two or three blank faces for every one screaming fan. That's going to equal a few thousand blank faces - he is, after all, saying they outnumber the die-hard fans.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 pm

yes if you interpret what bob says it does translate to 'thousands'

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 pm

YDKM wrote:yes if you interpret what bob says it does translate to 'thousands'

Man, you really want this thread to hit 50, doncha ? LOL

No, "76", that's RIGHT ...

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 am

I have a blank face trying to figure out why I keep following this thread. In fact my eyes have glazed over.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I have a blank face trying to figure out why I keep following this thread. In fact my eyes have glazed over.

but you will be back and you know it !

norrie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:24 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I have a blank face trying to figure out why I keep following this thread. In fact my eyes have glazed over.

I'm amazed this thread as gone this far! Why make endless comments about a crappy CD with the worst performance of Elvis' career?

It puzzles me when someone starts up a new thread about a really good concert and hardly any comments are made. Start up a thread about one of Elvis' crappy concerts and the list is endless. It's as though people have this morbid fascination with his decline. I think it is very sad and some Elvis fans are the saddest of all.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:34 am

Robert wrote:
epf wrote:I am amazed at how long this thread goes on. One of the very worst shows ever done by Elvis gets this much attention. I think we need to do a bit of soulsearching what it is with us Elvis fans that we are willing to discuss this show for about fifty pages.

I will not buy this show. It hurts me to hear this man in such deep trouble on all levels. And yet at least a part of the crowd screams out for more. And i do not want to be a part of that crowd.

One can only imagine the loneliness Elvis must have felt. He was a smart man and he knew he was in trouble. And he tried to deny it. But he knew. Just read Geller's book If I Can Dream.

We, as fans, also know that he was in deep trouble. So what is it inside of us that we want to discuss this to this length?

Just this week we saw the fantastic footage in color of Elvis performing in the fifties. A triumphant moment. Right now seven pages long we are discussing it. And somehow i doubt it will make it to fifty.

Reason is that this show embodies what went wrong with Elvis personally and his management..
Also, we never had any audio evidence prior.
Next to that, what happened here can't be compared to other so called 'bad' shows.

Reason this gets to 50 pages is that we have some more or less healthy discussion/evaluation with all kinds of opinions.
Nothing wrong with that and I'm sure people who have it, including me, won't use this for listening pleasure.

The fact that you also post over here indicated some sort of curiousity which makes sense.

Thanks Robert for your reply. I appreciate it. I do not intend any of you your right to discuss this release. But the fact that this one release gets this amount of air time amazes me. It makes me appreciate the newly spread color footage of Elvis in the fifties all the more. That footage is getting alone fine comments wise but i wonder if it will hit the fifties page mark. And that just saddens me.

Last weekend i had the chance to listen to this release (so you are right, i was curious too, i am not ashamed to say). And it just hurt me. For reasons explained. I could not listen to it to the end. And i will not buy it.

Thanks again.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:38 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:

I'm amazed this thread as gone this far! Why make endless comments about a crappy CD with the worst performance of Elvis' career?

It puzzles me when someone starts up a new thread about a really good concert and hardly any comments are made. Start up a thread about one of Elvis' crappy concerts and the list is endless. It's as though people have this morbid fascination with his decline. I think it is very sad and some Elvis fans are the saddest of all.

Hmmm,yet you have made 25 comments,your most active topic.Go figure.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:39 am

stedders wrote:We all wish Elvis was still with us, had kicked his drug habits and led a happier and healthier life.

He didn't. And because of this we are pretty heartbroken so we naturally search for reasons why and what could have been different etc. The extreme is when people say he is still alive. A more normal response of a genuine fan is to evaluate and discuss and dream a little too.

That's why this thread is so popular.

Also, in a way if elvis had been 'perfect' all the time I don't think he would have been nearly so popular. We like him too because he had faults, and I am guessing a large number of people here wish they were around him at that time to try to help somehow.

Thanks Stedders. Your reply makes a lot of sense. And i can relate to the sentiment of wishing to being around in order to try to help him.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 am

OK, I'll help this sucker reach 50 pages.

Wow, that was a bad show!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 am

I can listen to this release with not much problem(just 15 beers needed during it!~ :wink: )
certainly it is poor, but i am sure i have heard Elvis more slurred/out of it at another concert....
today i listen to the SA 5/12/76 show- which in comparism sounds like an 'excellent show!~'
if you edited out the awful 'Sweet Caroline' debacle performance Elvis SOUNDS pretty 'straight/good' on 5/12/76 show :D
The Elvis Houston show is bad because of what we hear..AND the reviews from the time+ people around him commiting afterwoods. Surprisingly its only a bit worse than most of the 'already terrible' Summer 1976 shows!
As Ciscoking said 'its Summer 1976' shows...... what did we expect!?...certainly nothing better than 'poor'
Man & Music gave it quite a lengthy review and remember this wasn't a Jim Morrison or Sex pistols 'short' show -it was a LENGTHY SHOW!~
maybe i judge Elvis 'success' too much in the Col Parker way..BOX OFFICE RECEIPTS? but it may well have been his worst 1976 show because of the large audience and attention it recieved at the time and then now.36 years later
with many citing the Vegas 5/12/76 show as terrible its quite a surprise to hear this show in good sound on the SA label ::rocks

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 am

I hope this one turns up someday on soundboard November, 12 1971
phpBB [video]

setlist:

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:57 am

eligain wrote:OK, I'll help this sucker reach 50 pages.

Wow, that was a bad show!

LOL
Okay what the heck I'll also try to help push this to 50 since it has come this far. When I think about concerts like the one being discussed on this thread I just remember this moment from the Comeback Special.

"Hey Man, I just work here" - Elvis Presley 1968

I will just leave you all with that
:smt006

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:05 am

If only we could have the soundboard of that 1971 concert. Looks great.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 am

stevelecher wrote:If only we could have the soundboard of that 1971 concert. Looks great.

Absolutely Steve!~ :D
hey Maybe Elvis in August 1976 was getting more like Frank Cannon (William Conrad)in the T.V. series that was shown in 1971-1976??? :wink:
Last edited by YDKM on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 am

stevelecher wrote:If only we could have the soundboard of that 1971 concert. Looks great.

Now that would be a concert that deserves 50 pages.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 am

norrie wrote:

It would never happen. It seems like anything pre-1972 can't even get up to 10 pages on this forum.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 am

midnightx wrote:
norrie wrote:

It would never happen. It seems like anything pre-1972 can't even get up to 10 pages on this forum.

You are probably right but the main reason a topic like this gets such a huge response is because it generates arguments and counter arguments.A topic about a great show generally gets everyone agreeing how good it is,no arguing or anyone saying your talking pish and the topic is over fairly quick.A topic about the later years brings up the usual debates from the rose coloured glasses brigade v the realists unfortunately and goes on forever.

norrie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 am

Now after over 30 years of talk about the dreadful 1976 houston show, i am somewhat pissed about the lies which were put out about our man!!!

Yes the concert is pretty bad, yes elvis is high as kite and stil not high enough, since he still sounds depressed, BUT it is nowhere near as bad as all those haters made us believe. Some said Elvis did not even know where he was at, that he did not even know if he really was on stage performing and what not, but after hearing the audio, I must say those were all lies.

One very interesting thing is that Elvis during that time periode (summer 76) usually starts to "wake up" half way through the show, but in that houston show it seams to go downhill, one can hear it on the song Hurt, he usually delivers at least a good version of it, since he would have woken up by that time, on this one, Hurt is the worst performance of the entire show, Elvis is sometimes 2 bars behind the band, not so on many other songs in that show. Why is that? My best guess, the chemicals were not timed right.

However, the show is bad, but it was not a disaster as many said in the past, plus I think the journalist who wrote the piece about that show must have projected his thoughts onto others, because the audio clearly proofs that the fans did not seam to care, they were screeming like crazy and if it can be heard over the stage mics, it must have been a lot louder in the auditorium itself. So if the writer of the article is still alive, a big FY from me!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 am

well your certainly correct about the show 'going downhill' in the latter part BIGBIRD...(and it did surprise me, somewhat) as he got worse from the intros till the end onwards!~ :|

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:12 am

The fans you hear didn't seem to care because you can hear them.What you can't hear are the fans that were silent.The girls that are screaming were obviously blind and deaf to the truth and were there to scream and shout no matter what.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:57 am

norrie wrote:The fans you hear didn't seem to care because you can hear them.What you can't hear are the fans that were silent.The girls that are screaming were obviously blind and deaf to the truth and were there to scream and shout no matter what.

correct......and after most songs applause is pretty 'mild'...only after 'America' is it sounding half like decent applause(considering what a massive audience it was!) :|

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:29 am

YDKM wrote:correct......and after most songs applause is pretty 'mild'...only after 'America' is it sounding half like decent applause(considering what a massive audience it was!) :|

Is there any particular reason you have been compelled to make 93 posts on this topic?

130910_YDKM_93 posts to date.JPG

Your constant, unyielding defense of this awful performance is a prime reason this subject now approaches the fifty-page mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:correct......and after most songs applause is pretty 'mild'...only after 'America' is it sounding half like decent applause(considering what a massive audience it was!) :|

Is there any particular reason you have been compelled to make 93 posts on this topic?

130910_YDKM_93 posts to date.JPG

Your constant, unyielding defense of this awful performance is a prime reason this subject now approaches the fifty-page mark.

OMG, that just seems obsessive and creepy ....ew !