Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:24 am

r&b wrote:
Robert wrote:
YDKM wrote:what about Elvis in 1977 #1 at the box office
his August 1977 tour 'sold out'...
and yet according to the 'experts on FECC' most of his shows in 1977 were 'Disasters'
something doesn't add up here? :| :roll:


Elvis immense popularity still led to an impressive box office draw.
I think the majority of Elvis 1977 shows were pretty solid given the state he was in.
Point is that from 1976 onwards, the number of worrying shows increased.
A clear sign change was needed.
Elvis did more good shows than bad but it's easy to list 20 shows where Elvis reached a certain low point during almost every tour.
Pretty painful knowing that up until 1975, Elvis was still in control and audiences had high expectations right until the end.
Strangely I think the EWH book even contributed to his ticket sales in August as people probably wanted to check out things themselves.


It was the same with Sinatra. People came (including me 3 times) to see the legend knowing full well he was passed it. I saw him in 1981, 1984, and 1989. Still, he put on a pretty good show, but his voice was no longer the same. I heard he was really out of it the last year he was performing, 1995 or so?


The main difference being Elvis was only 40 and over-medicated and Sinatra was 80 years old...

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 am

This thread has gone on too long. Leave it now everyone

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 am

nod3million wrote:This thread has gone on too long. Leave it now everyone



This thread is on a roll. It's reminiscent of the old EIC threads from way back when.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 am

Elvis @ 42.... was performing more like a man aged 57.......often he looked 15 years older than he was that last year.

This statement is a very valuable Quote from Stein Eric Skars Norweigen Book the Concert years and extremely acurate, note we are talking about last 12 months NOT further back.
Last edited by YDKM on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:29 am

YDKM wrote:Elvis @ 42.... was performing more like a man aged 57.......often he looked 15 years older than he was that last year.


No way do I agree with this comment.

Sure, Elvis didn't look like the Adonis he had always looked like for 20 years in the limelight, but still, I've seen some 35 year old men walking around that look like there dried up prunes, just plain fat and just cracked out.

Just this Sunday at the Golden Corral, they're were some guys in there that were at least 300 pounds, just piling on the plate like there was no tomorrow, gimme a break, will ya ...

Elvis was outta shape, over-medicated, yes, but damn, let's not get overdramatic here, the man never lost his good looks, his charisma and charm.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 am

nod3million wrote:This thread has gone on too long. Leave it now everyone


I tried to have this thread shut down 40 pages ago, but noooooo!

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 am

I just spoke with an amazing and humungous Elvis Presley collector today and he also sells original Lp's, 45rpm's, 78's, etc etc ...

Is it ironic or not that the guy told me he sells double of his inventory of any release of Elvis in '76, than any Elvis album RCA Records released in the 1950's ????

Somebody explain this ...

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 am

minkahed wrote:I just spoke with an amazing and humungous Elvis Presley collector today and he also sells original Lp's, 45rpm's, 78's, etc etc ...

Is it ironic or not that the guy told me he sells double of his inventory of any release of Elvis in '76, than any Elvis album RCA Records released in the 1950's ????

Somebody explain this ...


well maybe its because we love Elvis in 1976..same as we loved his mid 60's movies :wink: :roll: 8)

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:00 am

minkahed wrote:I just spoke with an amazing and humungous Elvis Presley collector today and he also sells original Lp's, 45rpm's, 78's, etc etc ...

Is it ironic or not that the guy told me he sells double of his inventory of any release of Elvis in '76, than any Elvis album RCA Records released in the 1950's ????

Somebody explain this ...


It has to do with the 1950's having a dated sound.
It's way too primitive of a sound for alot of people.
The 1970's songs and arrangements have a much more modern feel to them.
And the songs sound more mature and serious, than the 1950's output.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am

after hearing the show, I'm surprised by all the screaming fans who were going absolutely crazy and nuts in the concert!!!! :wtf: how they couldn't notice the obvious catastrophe that was going on, the man couldn't even get the words out of his mouth ...

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 am

yaso wrote:after hearing the show, I'm surprised by all the screaming fans who were going absolutely crazy and nuts in the concert!!!! :wtf: how they couldn't notice the obvious catastrophe that was going on, the man couldn't even get the words out of his mouth ...



They were eye witnesses to a living DISASTER!!!

The bi-centennial suit must have mesmerized them.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 am

yaso wrote:after hearing the show, I'm surprised by all the screaming fans who were going absolutely crazy and nuts in the concert!!!! :wtf: how they couldn't notice the obvious catastrophe that was going on, the man couldn't even get the words out of his mouth ...


A few hundred fanatics and to quote one reviewer, 'thousands who stared at the stage in disbelief'
A soundboard doesn't capture everything :wink:

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 am

Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 am

YDKM wrote:Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.



Ok,thanks for the small correction.
But I don't think Claypool's statement was more positive.

Some people over here give the impression the audience must have been satisfied as they listen to a bunch of crazy women.
We know better don't we?

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 am

Robert trouble is the 'Crazy women' were taking over the whole show up-front!~
Man & Music #101 gives it a decent review as 'for ghouls only' and they don't refer to it as a 'disaster' just one of his worst ever concerts. :D

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm

minkahed wrote:Just this Sunday at the Golden Corral, they're were some guys in there that were at least 300 pounds, just piling on the plate like there was no tomorrow, gimme a break, will ya ....

It's OK as long as they were drinking Diet Coke.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

I am amazed at how long this thread goes on. One of the very worst shows ever done by Elvis gets this much attention. I think we need to do a bit of soulsearching what it is with us Elvis fans that we are willing to discuss this show for about fifty pages.

I will not buy this show. It hurts me to hear this man in such deep trouble on all levels. And yet at least a part of the crowd screams out for more. And i do not want to be a part of that crowd.

One can only imagine the loneliness Elvis must have felt. He was a smart man and he knew he was in trouble. And he tried to deny it. But he knew. Just read Geller's book If I Can Dream.

We, as fans, also know that he was in deep trouble. So what is it inside of us that we want to discuss this to this length?

Just this week we saw the fantastic footage in color of Elvis performing in the fifties. A triumphant moment. Right now seven pages long we are discussing it. And somehow i doubt it will make it to fifty.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm

epf wrote:I am amazed at how long this thread goes on. One of the very worst shows ever done by Elvis gets this much attention. I think we need to do a bit of soulsearching what it is with us Elvis fans that we are willing to discuss this show for about fifty pages.

I will not buy this show. It hurts me to hear this man in such deep trouble on all levels. And yet at least a part of the crowd screams out for more. And i do not want to be a part of that crowd.

One can only imagine the loneliness Elvis must have felt. He was a smart man and he knew he was in trouble. And he tried to deny it. But he knew. Just read Geller's book If I Can Dream.

We, as fans, also know that he was in deep trouble. So what is it inside of us that we want to discuss this to this length?

Just this week we saw the fantastic footage in color of Elvis performing in the fifties. A triumphant moment. Right now seven pages long we are discussing it. And somehow i doubt it will make it to fifty.


Reason is that this show embodies what went wrong with Elvis personally and his management..
Also, we never had any audio evidence prior.
Next to that, what happened here can't be compared to other so called 'bad' shows.

Reason this gets to 50 pages is that we have some more or less healthy discussion/evaluation with all kinds of opinions.
Nothing wrong with that and I'm sure people who have it, including me, won't use this for listening pleasure.

The fact that you also post over here indicated some sort of curiousity which makes sense.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:28 pm

We all wish Elvis was still with us, had kicked his drug habits and led a happier and healthier life.

He didn't. And because of this we are pretty heartbroken so we naturally search for reasons why and what could have been different etc. The extreme is when people say he is still alive. A more normal response of a genuine fan is to evaluate and discuss and dream a little too.

That's why this thread is so popular.

Also, in a way if elvis had been 'perfect' all the time I don't think he would have been nearly so popular. We like him too because he had faults, and I am guessing a large number of people here wish they were around him at that time to try to help somehow.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:35 pm

[quote="Robert.[/quote]

Reason is that this show embodies what went wrong with Elvis personally and his management..
Also, we never had any audio evidence prior.
Next to that, what happened here can't be compared to other so called 'bad' shows.

Reason this gets to 50 pages is that we have some more or less healthy discussion/evaluation with all kinds of opinions.
Nothing wrong with that and I'm sure people who have it, including me, won't use this for listening pleasure.

The fact that you also post over here indicated some sort of curiousity which makes sense[/quote]

If in 1976 and 1977 Elvis had been able to produce performances like he did from 69-72, would his physical appearance have mattered?

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

jungleroombear wrote:If in 1976 and 1977 Elvis had been able to produce performances like he did from 69-72, would his physical appearance have mattered?


What exactly is your question?
I think the answer is yes because Elvis looked unhealthy and Elvis looks and charisma was part of the game next to an awful lot of talent.
And there are cases that Elvis performed on a pretty high level in 1976 (december tour 1976 for example) and the thing is that we all agree that Elvis did a great job during that tour.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Hey Geoff -- Easy, I'm 57 years old (how can that be), and I KNOW I could beat Elvis at 42 playing racquet ball -- and I could put on a pretty good show if I had Elvis' voice and looks! Since the majority of shows I saw were in 1974 (1) and 1975 (20 - half of the last show was in 1976), and 4 each in 1976 and 1977, I can tell you that the 1977 shows were much better than the 1976 shows except for Buffalo (June 25, 1976).

As at least one member commented, I left a show (Cincinatti in 1977) pretty well decided I wouldn't bother to see him again (for a while), as the shows were all the same, and nowhere near as good as 1975 (my benchmark for comparing live shows I saw). But, I was preparing to go to Utica when I heard the news.

I've yet to hear this show, but it should arrive soon.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

YDKM wrote:Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.


You can actually see blank stares in the audience of the Elvis in Concert special.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 pm

YDKM wrote:Robert Bob Claypool said this in his 'review' NOT what you are saying!
The Summit was sold-out, packed to the gills (17,500 people, maybe more) and for every die-hard screamer, there were at least two or three blank, stunned faces, staring at the stage in disbelief.


Actually, that IS what he was saying - that there were two or three blank faces for every one screaming fan. That's going to equal a few thousand blank faces - he is, after all, saying they outnumber the die-hard fans.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 pm

yes if you interpret what bob says it does translate to 'thousands'