Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 am

PiersEIN wrote:Both Geoffrey McDonnell (YDKM) ...

When a person is elaborating on this fine forum about a review they wrote under their given name, it behooves them to identify themselves as such. Nowhere on the YDKM account does it indicate he is Geoffrey McDonnell. Nowhere in the review does McDonnell identify himself as "YDKM" on FECC.

We are not mind-readers here, try to write with clarity in the future. Thank you.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 am

stevelecher wrote:Good to know there really are no disastrous shows. Just some quite bad shows and some real bad shows but no disasters. Seriously, professionally speaking, most of Elvis' last year is a disaster. It's amazing we have debated this for 46 pages. I have no problem calling New Haven and Hampton Roads disasters too.

For perspective though, yesterday I watched the June 19, 1977 Omaha concert and, poor as it is, it is a masterpiece compared to Houston. How can anyone here not think both these concerts are disasters?

Maybe this is part of their daily gear:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 am

stevelecher wrote:Good to know there really are no disastrous shows. Just some quite bad shows and some real bad shows but no disasters. Seriously, professionally speaking, most of Elvis' last year is a disaster. It's amazing we have debated this for 46 pages. I have no problem calling New Haven and Hampton Roads disasters too.

For perspective though, yesterday I watched the June 19, 1977 Omaha concert and, poor as it is, it is a masterpiece compared to Houston. How can anyone here not think both these concerts are disasters?

In cases like these I go to a dictionary.

It stated, "A total failure".

These shows can be considered failures, and there fore disasters, but I don't think they are total failures.

They fail in certain areas. The sound system failed. Elvis failed to keep the whole crowd entertained.

The band didn't fail. Elvis was on stage for 80 minutes. He succeded to entertain a large portion of the crowd, especially those up closer to the stage, given the appluase heard.

Elvis failed to properly prepare himself musically for this show. He failed to keep himself healthy for this show.

But he did put forth an effort. He tried. He was weak and under powerful sleeping meds.

Another show you can't call a total failure would be Desert storm. If you were to edit out all the talking and threats he made at that show,
musically he put on some nice performances. So he succeded in that vien.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the review ... Geoffrey! Spot on! ::rocks

The "in-depth" review is confusing. On one hand McDonnell claims the show is "NOT a 'disaster,'" then says that Bob Claypool's review is "pretty accurate." Huh?

He also says "90%" of what he originally wrote "proved to be true."

Check it out on page 1 of this topic:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78330#p1197924

Okay, I updated my post. I was just trying to be friendly. :D

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:51 pm

i am getting friendly pissed off by this crap~!~! :evil: :evil: :evil:
i AM geoffrey Mc Donnell and why cannot different people have different opinions... Yes worst 'disastrous show' i ever saw was a Rod Stewart show around 1994 where he couldn't care about singing and changed suits 7 times- absolute disaster in my opinion, but Rod fans probably liked it!~
remember the review of the poor Syracuse 25/7/76 show... Elvis REALLY got severely panned in the newspapers and gave a better show in same place 2 days later.(when he was more awake and less 'out of it') :wtf:
so what if Houston was a major, MAJOR city in Texas when NO WAY should Elvis have given such a show.....
perhaps even after Elvis saying b4 closing that the Audience was one of the best we have ever worked too.....in a kind of a way Elvis was measuring if the audience would want him back....this proved VERY BAD when Elvis gave a less than 'satisfactory show on 9th October 1974 in Abiline, when he appeared on 27th March 1977...to a less than sold out house.... the TRUTH of the last poor performance was at last beginning to bite back... the fact that the show he gave that night to a less than sold out concert was one of the best shows in this poor quality March 77' tour seems irrelevant- the damage had been done in 1974...and so that is why Abiline 77' was NOT SOLD OUT at all... with good seats available even on the night of performance!
SAME would have happened if...Houston 77' had ever been scheduled....unlikely to have sold out...yet Dallas 76 was a tremendous concert in December and 328 people less attended.(than in same venue in 1975)....wonder if this had to do with the bad memory of the Houston show earlier?? :? :roll: :sosorry:
and YES i was recently in Texas in Dallas~~

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:16 pm

"Somebody help me get out of Louisiana, just help me get to Houston town
There are people there who care a little 'bout me and they won't let a poor boy down..."

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:15 pm

YDKM wrote:oh so most of Elvis's last year is a disaster eh?
what you REALLY MEAN is a performance YOU call a disaster.....by your 'standard'
and hampton roads and new haven 1976 'disasters' also!!!!! :?
so what people calling a bad concert a 'disaster' means anything below a very high standard is a 'disaster' unbelievable!~

Yes, they are disasters. This was a guy who was supposedly the best in the world - but he gave vocal performances in Hampton and Houston that were barely passable for a semi-professional. Going by your definition of what is and isn't a disaster, the late Amy Winehouse's last performance wasn't a disaster either - she did, after all, stay standing and didn't keel over.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:41 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
YDKM wrote:oh so most of Elvis's last year is a disaster eh?
what you REALLY MEAN is a performance YOU call a disaster.....by your 'standard'
and hampton roads and new haven 1976 'disasters' also!!!!! :?
so what people calling a bad concert a 'disaster' means anything below a very high standard is a 'disaster' unbelievable!~

Yes, they are disasters. This was a guy who was supposedly the best in the world - but he gave vocal performances in Hampton and Houston that were barely passable for a semi-professional. Going by your definition of what is and isn't a disaster, the late Amy Winehouse's last performance wasn't a disaster either - she did, after all, stay standing and didn't keel over.

Can't believe you're still harping on about this! Elvis' show wasn't a disaster and neither was Amy Winehouse's... it's rock n' roll baby! If the moon were to leave it's orbit and collide with Earth, that would be a disaster. We're born, we live, we die. Now why not get on with having some fun and use your qwerty skills to bring a smile to people's faces instead of always being the merchant of doom n gloom. You may find the show doesn't sound that bad after all. :smt006

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 pm

poormadpeter wrote:This was a guy who was supposedly the best in the world...

That says it all for me.

I place little regard in Elvis fans' ability to judge Elvis' condition on stage. Many, many fans, to this day, enjoy anything and everything Elvis ever produced in his short 23 year career as an artist/entertainer. This forum is frequented by many of those people... not to say that there's anything wrong with that... they love the man and I get it. But to use crowd response at an Elvis Presley concert in the summer of 1976 to determine whether or not the show was a disaster is futile IMO. Elvis fans have/had a blind admiration/adoration for the man... perhaps it was just enough to see and hear him without any regard to the level of his performance. Omaha '77 is another example... the crowd responded to him and yet he was physically a wreck. It's a shame his fans demanded so little from him...
:(

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Happy to meet you Geoffrey McDonnell. Glad you're here and always glad for your input. I like your posts. However, you are kinder in your assessment of Elvis' later concert work than I am. I saw him in October, 1974 and was dissatisfied. It was still better than most of the 1976 and 1977 concerts, which is why I wrote that his last year, for the most part, was a disaster. Whenever we write about a good 1976 concert, we must qualify it with, "for the period." That means to me that the show is bad compared realistically to work from three or four years previous. I firmly believe that his performance of Hurt, when you saw the show in person, was so electrifying that the audiences virtually forgave all that had come before it. If you got HGTA too, the concert really satisfied. I saw this kind of show in October, 1976 and I loved it. During the introductions though, I was pretty unhappy with the overall performance and then... Hurt, with reprise. The audience was stunned at the power of it and they left the show happy.

Anyway, IMO, this Houston show is so poor I would call it a disaster. You think it is crap to have this attitude. I am equally dismayed that you think there is some merit because he gets through his set, and there is audience response to him. We'll agree to disagree about the disaster thing. Thanks for all the posts and info on all these concert releases you regularly provide.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm

stevelecher wrote:Happy to meet you Geoffrey McDonnell. Glad you're here and always glad for your input. I like your posts. However, you are kinder in your assessment of Elvis' later concert work than I am. I saw him in October, 1974 and was dissatisfied. It was still better than most of the 1976 and 1977 concerts, which is why I wrote that his last year, for the most part, was a disaster. Whenever we write about a good 1976 concert, we must qualify it with, "for the period." That means to me that the show is bad compared realistically to work from three or four years previous. I firmly believe that his performance of Hurt, when you saw the show in person, was so electrifying that the audiences virtually forgave all that had come before it. If you got HGTA too, the concert really satisfied. I saw this kind of show in October, 1976 and I loved it. During the introductions though, I was pretty unhappy with the overall performance and then... Hurt, with reprise. The audience was stunned at the power of it and they left the show happy.

Anyway, IMO, this Houston show is so poor I would call it a disaster. You think it is crap to have this attitude. I am equally dismayed that you think there is some merit because he gets through his set, and there is audience response to him. We'll agree to disagree about the disaster thing. Thanks for all the posts and info on all these concert releases you regularly provide.

steve if that Elvis concert is a disaster, how would you describe the Moon leaving its orbit and colliding with Earth?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Steve- i don't (usually) provide concert releases.....(usually!~ :wink: ) but i do enjoy Elvis shows... of cource when i have to 'suffer' through his worst performances to 'find' one decently performed song it is just incredably sad~!... but i am a fan.and enjoy hearing any 'outake' or concert i have never heard b4.
for example you say his St Paul 30/4/77 shows was one of the very worst you attended..... yet i like how he looks in pictures from the show and i do like 'parts of his performance'
i had lot of private mail last night....(thanks Darrin Lee) and long phone call from Jim Dandy.
people have different views and my judgement of a 'failure, disaster, catastrophy... is obviously different to others. Still if you ignore what i say - surely you MUST AGREE that Oven Egeland from 'Elvis in Norway ' gave the FIRST decent review on line!~ :? 8)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Happy to meet you Geoffrey McDonnell. Glad you're here and always glad for your input. I like your posts. However, you are kinder in your assessment of Elvis' later concert work than I am. I saw him in October, 1974 and was dissatisfied. It was still better than most of the 1976 and 1977 concerts, which is why I wrote that his last year, for the most part, was a disaster. Whenever we write about a good 1976 concert, we must qualify it with, "for the period." That means to me that the show is bad compared realistically to work from three or four years previous. I firmly believe that his performance of Hurt, when you saw the show in person, was so electrifying that the audiences virtually forgave all that had come before it. If you got HGTA too, the concert really satisfied. I saw this kind of show in October, 1976 and I loved it. During the introductions though, I was pretty unhappy with the overall performance and then... Hurt, with reprise. The audience was stunned at the power of it and they left the show happy.

steve if that Elvis concert is a disaster, how would you describe the Moon leaving its orbit and colliding with Earth?

But we're not talking about that kind of disaster. Films are a disaster at the box office, but no-one means that it is equal to tsunami - your comments and comparison are both childish and ridiculous.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:29 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:

But we're not talking about that kind of disaster. Films are a disaster at the box office, but no-one means that it is equal to tsunami - your comments and comparison are both childish and ridiculous.

In that case your disaster is subjective.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 pm

YDKM, I thanked you for information you supply on concert releases; not for providing the concerts. If you have something to do with providing concerts, a big thanks and keep it up.

Obviously, when talking about disasters in this topic, we are all talking in terms of Elvis' career, reputation, and well being. Elvis' death, 50 weeks after this concert is recorded, was a tragedy to me and this concert portends what is coming. This should have scared people. Elvis' story today is seen as a tragic story, though it's not a tsunami (thank you for this example, Poormadpeter.)

Yes, I believe the April 30, 1977 concert was one of the real bad ones, and you like it more. I was there. He was not serious and there was not one song he did justice to. He giggled through My Way, Mountain, and others. He did a couple lines of Rip It Up and did Wonder Of You, which is seen as good because it was rare for the time, but the version is appalling and he did little more than hum some of it. I expected more of him that night and he didn't deliver. Don't forget, I accepted the quality of the October 17, 1976 show, so it's not like I was holding out for TTWII type quality. In retrospect, in my opinion, we shouldn't have accepted October, 1976 shows either. If we'd been more discerning, maybe he wouldn't have been able to put himself in such a hole. I know I just wanted so badly to enjoy these shows and believe he was the great entertainer I loved so much.

It is what it is. Enjoy these shows if you can. They're part of history. I get no enjoyment from the worst of the 1976/1977 performances.
Last edited by stevelecher on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Well, thanks YDKM. You may not remember but I took a lot of slings and arrows defending the release of the 1976 Omaha concert on FTD's America. I thought the concert had some merit despite the sound mix on that release.

You know, Omaha's been pretty well represented in the Elvis canon, hasn't it?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

I'm actually the real Geoffrey McDonnell.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 am

PiersEIN wrote: Hi Gang, Super-Collector Geoffrey McDonnell has written a very informative review for EIN.

Forgetting about names, login names etc. When you wrote the above, it would have been helpful for people who didn't know (such as me), if you had identified the guy you were refering to, as the same guy who had already made a number of points on this thread.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
PiersEIN wrote: Hi Gang, Super-Collector Geoffrey McDonnell has written a very informative review for EIN.

Forgetting about names, login names etc. When you wrote the above, it would have been helpful for people who didn't know (such as me), if you had identified the guy you were referring to, as the same guy who had already made a number of points on this thread.

Thank you, this is exactly my point.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:46 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I'm actually the real Geoffrey McDonnell.

Hi gang, and I'm Jim Dandy.

(pretty sure we reach page 50 like this :wink: )

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 am

And will the real "Boogie Man" behind the liner notes please stand up now?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:35 am

what about Elvis in 1977 #1 at the box office
his August 1977 tour 'sold out'...
and yet according to the 'experts on FECC' most of his shows in 1977 were 'Disasters'
something doesn't add up here? :| :roll:

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:54 am

YDKM wrote:what about Elvis in 1977 #1 at the box office
and yet according to the 'experts on FECC' most of his shows in 1977 were 'Disasters'

Elvis immense popularity still led to an impressive box office draw.
I think the majority of Elvis 1977 shows were pretty solid given the state he was in.
Point is that from 1976 onwards, the number of worrying shows increased.
A clear sign change was needed.
Elvis did more good shows than bad but it's easy to list 20 shows where Elvis reached a certain low point during almost every tour.
Pretty painful knowing that up until 1975, Elvis was still in control and audiences had high expectations right until the end.
Strangely I think the EWH book even contributed to his ticket sales in August as people probably wanted to check out things themselves.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:03 am

interesting that i have now had post deleted on this thread..... still at least (apart from one person) i can still send a private message :evil:

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am

YDKM wrote:what about Elvis in 1977 #1 at the box office

An excellent example of how Elvis fans cared more about the legend than the man... and the limited exposure of the press back then.
I guarantee you if Elvis was a performer today his career would never make it through 2 dismal years of live performances... and substandard studio work.