Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:48 am

So I went to youtube to see the comments and they were somewhat like this thread. It's not that bad, America is pretty good, there are worse concerts, etc. Amazing.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:53 am

Sigh... we almost got this thread off the first page... thanks Steve... :P

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:54 am

This thread will have been all in vain if it doesn't reach 50 pages.... :D

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Gang,
Super-Collector Geoffrey McDonnell has written a very informative review for EIN.

Look here
>>

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_h ... oblem.html

Cheers,
Piers

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 am

PiersEIN wrote:Hi Gang,
Super-Collector Geoffrey McDonnell has written a very informative review for EIN.

Look here
>>

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_h ... oblem.html

Cheers,
Piers

Thanks for the review, Piers and Geoffrey!
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:33 am

46 pages of this thread ? No way ! It took 8 years for Alizee to reach 100. That ain't fair !!!

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the review ... Geoffrey! Spot on! ::rocks


The "in-depth" review is confusing. On one hand McDonnell claims the show is "NOT a 'disaster,'" then says that Bob Claypool's review is "pretty accurate." Huh?

He also says "90%" of what he originally wrote "proved to be true."

Check it out on page 1 of this topic:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78330#p1197924

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 am

TCB-FAN wrote:46 pages of this thread ? No way ! It took 8 years for Alizee to reach 100. That ain't fair !!!

Hey... the show was THAT good...

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:03 pm

I would much rather listen to the Houston '76 show than to see Alizee shake her ass.




Not!

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the review ... Geoffrey! Spot on! ::rocks

The "in-depth" review is confusing. On one hand McDonnell claims the show is "NOT a 'disaster,'" then says that Bob Claypool's review is "pretty accurate." Huh?
He also says "90%" of what he originally wrote "proved to be true."

Well he should answer for himself (however he's away this weekend).
BUT I think his point was that his original article - without ever having heard the concert but with research from many sources was 90% accurate.
He admits that he did get a couple of songs in the supposed tracklist wrong but otherwise he was pretty right in his judgement even having not heard an audience recording.

I presume he believes it was "NOT a 'disaster" as from the audience reactions the fans loved Elvis doing his "golden oldies" and some would have been very happy just to have been in the presence of The King.
Elvis did not walk off the stage halfway through and did perform for 80 minutes.
I'm sure G McDonnell will explain more when he returns.

However drjohncarpenter, since you apparently still live in the fantasy that Elvis watched Monday Night Football on December 10th 1973 at the Stax sessions despite there being no proof whatsoever - I guess you can realise that everyone has differing ideas of what happened in Elvis' career.

Neither you nor Geoff McDonnell were there at ANY of these concerts or studio sessions - but everyone can be entitled to their opinion and review.
After all, if someone thinks 'My Boy' is Elvis' best song, then for them individually that is totally correct.

Cheers
Piers

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Sparine + Donnatal = Houston, we have a problem.

I'm still confused why they put him on stage that afternoon.
Lamar stated they couldn't wake him up and put him in a bath with ice.

They should have thrown the towel at that point.
Shockingly the same happened a year later(Louisville '77) , thankfully resulting in a better show but insane if you think about it.

Also, the show cancellations in March still didn't have any effect as Elvis walked out the hospital too soon.
That was THE opportunity to turn things around.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Maybe the last opportunity excepting August 1977. I mean it wasn't too late if he wanted to cancel the tour and go to hospital even a couple days before August 16.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:07 am

PiersEIN wrote:Well he should answer for himself ...


Yes, he should. Hopefully soon!

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:Well he should answer for himself ...


Yes, he should. Hopefully soon!


OK i am back..... 8)
Firstly i feel Piers answered the point pretty well in his post.
2nd i refer you Doc to my most highly esteemed reviewer Oven Egeland from the renowned 'Elvis in Norway site'
HE states :-
Yes, this really is a bad performance from Elvis, like reports tell. However, it is not severely poorer than two other Summer shows we have heard from soundboard - from previous tour - namely New Haven and Bicentennial Elvis Experience. And the show from Madison, June 24 1977 is even worse in my point of view. Judging by the sound "evidence" as found on this CD there were no reason for pointing this out as the most catastrophic show as one have been told
Now i keep repeating Myself.....so maybe we will have to agree to 'disagree' :?
If the box office had not sold out the show and 1000,s of fans had asked for their money back or if Elvis had left the stage after 30 minutes or collapsed and be taken off stage- then and ONLY Then can i classify the concert as a 'Disaster'.... it may have been a 'disasterous type of performance' which if ever repeated could have had very severe consequences..... but it was not.
i actually have witnessed a disastrous show with Blondie(Deborah Harry) in Queensway Hall, Dunstable, England in 1978- when fans caused a RIOT and the show was cancelled after 25 minutes.... a disastrous show but NOT because of the performer.
was Elvis's 24/7/76 A/S in Charleston a disastrous show because of a power cut which happened during the closing number??
was Elvis's Vegas 15/2/73 Dinner Show 'disastrous' because his voice failed and he couldn't perform much??
Certainly audience tapes released by Straight Arrow have shown that the 27/9/74 show was NOT disastrous nor was the Detroit 29/9/74 show....poor shows in places but NOT disastrous shows.
anyhow i have stated my opinion for umpteenth time and Yes of cource Bob Claypool was correct in his views and article...
but as he also STATES masses of fans still screamed and carried on just because he was ELVIS- never mind what poor state he is in.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 am

So now we know. In order to prevent a show from being a disaster, the performer has to show up and not collapse before the end of the performance.

And it's that kind of thinking that probably killed Elvis Presley. If fans had been just a tad more demanding than that at his shows, he would have been off the road, in hospital or a clinic and getting himself sorted.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 am

YDKM wrote:OK i am back..... 8)
Firstly i feel Piers answered the point pretty well in his post.
2nd i refer you Doc to my most highly esteemed reviewer Oven Egeland from the renowned 'Elvis in Norway site'
HE states :-
Yes, this really is a bad performance from Elvis, like reports tell. However, it is not severely poorer than two other Summer shows we have heard from soundboard - from previous tour - namely New Haven and Bicentennial Elvis Experience. And the show from Madison, June 24 1977 is even worse in my point of view. Judging by the sound "evidence" as found on this CD there were no reason for pointing this out as the most catastrophic show as one have been told
Now i keep repeating Myself.....so maybe we will have to agree to 'disagree' :?
If the box office had not sold out the show and 1000,s of fans had asked for their money back or if Elvis had left the stage after 30 minutes or collapsed and be taken off stage- then and ONLY Then can i classify the concert as a 'Disaster'.... it may have been a 'disasterous type of performance' which if ever repeated could have had very severe consequences..... but it was not.

This explanation reminds me of a well known expression...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 am

elvis-fan wrote:
YDKM wrote:OK i am back..... 8)
Firstly i feel Piers answered the point pretty well in his post.
2nd i refer you Doc to my most highly esteemed reviewer Oven Egeland from the renowned 'Elvis in Norway site'
HE states :-
Yes, this really is a bad performance from Elvis, like reports tell. However, it is not severely poorer than two other Summer shows we have heard from soundboard - from previous tour - namely New Haven and Bicentennial Elvis Experience. And the show from Madison, June 24 1977 is even worse in my point of view. Judging by the sound "evidence" as found on this CD there were no reason for pointing this out as the most catastrophic show as one have been told
Now i keep repeating Myself.....so maybe we will have to agree to 'disagree' :?
If the box office had not sold out the show and 1000,s of fans had asked for their money back or if Elvis had left the stage after 30 minutes or collapsed and be taken off stage- then and ONLY Then can i classify the concert as a 'Disaster'.... it may have been a 'disasterous type of performance' which if ever repeated could have had very severe consequences..... but it was not.

This explanation reminds me of a well known expression...

Image


Ha-ha! So true.

And no, the point was not answered well, and it was not answered by the person who wrote the review.

Perhaps the contradictions noted in the review cannot be answered. ;-)

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:So now we know. In order to prevent a show from being a disaster, the performer has to show up and not collapse before the end of the performance.

And it's that kind of thinking that probably killed Elvis Presley. If fans had been just a tad more demanding than that at his shows, he would have been off the road, in hospital or a clinic and getting himself sorted.


He did go to hospitals. Multiple times.

Dave Hebler said, "how can you pretect a man from himself".

He had too many enablers. If one quit he had another.

Too many doctors that didn't follow thier oath.

Instead of Elvis firing Parker, how about Parker should have just quit and left him.

Maybe that was the answer.

If someone is determined to kill themselves there is little anyone can do.

You can't blame the fans, they had blind loyalty.

To them, Elvis had put on wieght, and was maybe a little "sick".

His charisma overshadowed everything. They still saw "the king".

He was suffering from middle aged crazy.

He felt his youth slipping away and he couldn't cope with it.

He realized Ginger wasn't the one, and what were the chances of real happiness at his age.

He was a person that got bored easily.

He got bored of the movies.
He got bored of Las vegas.
He got bored of recordings sessions.
He got bored of girl friends.
He got bored with life.
He stopped meeting the fans out by gates of Graceland.
His career was just floating along without a plan.

There was no more goals to achieve.
That much boredom leads to depression.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Ha-ha! So true.
And no, the point was not answered well, and it was not answered by the person who wrote the review.
Perhaps the contradictions noted in the review cannot be answered. ;-)

drjohncarpenter, what IS up with you?
Both Geoffrey McDonnell (YDKM) and I wrote the review and you have had answers supplied to your question.
Are you having trouble reading today?
Somehow it would be very wrong for you to start discussing pseudonyms since you have secrets that both YDKM and I are well aware of.
I think YDKM's (Geoffrey McDonnell) answer was fine and you should accept it as such.
It is after all HIS review and his opinion (along with added input from myself) - not yours.

Cheers
piers
Last edited by PiersEIN on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:47 am

PiersEIN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Ha-ha! So true.
And no, the point was not answered well, and it was not answered by the person who wrote the review.
Perhaps the contradictions noted in the review cannot be answered. ;-)

drjohncarpenter, what IS up with you?
Both Geoffrey McDonnell (YDKM) and I wrote the review and you have had answers supplied to your question.
Are you having trouble reading today?
Somehow it would be very wrong for you to start discussing pseudonyms since you have secrets that both YDKM and I are well aware of.
I think YDKM's (Geoffrey McDonnell) answer was fine and you should accept it as such.
It is after HIS review and his opinion (along with added input from myself) - not yours.

Cheers
piers


Thanks Piers.... :wtf:

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 am

Good to know there really are no disastrous shows. Just some quite bad shows and some real bad shows but no disasters. Seriously, professionally speaking, most of Elvis' last year is a disaster. It's amazing we have debated this for 46 pages. I have no problem calling New Haven and Hampton Roads disasters too.

For perspective though, yesterday I watched the June 19, 1977 Omaha concert and, poor as it is, it is a masterpiece compared to Houston. How can anyone here not think both these concerts are disasters?

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:21 am

oh so most of Elvis's last year is a disaster eh?
what you REALLY MEAN is a performance YOU call a disaster.....by your 'standard'
and hampton roads and new haven 1976 'disasters' also!!!!! :?
so what people calling a bad concert a 'disaster' means anything below a very high standard is a 'disaster' unbelievable!~

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 am

PiersEIN wrote:Both Geoffrey McDonnell (YDKM) ...


When a person is elaborating on this fine forum about a review they wrote under their given name, it behooves them to identify themselves as such. Nowhere on the YDKM account does it indicate he is Geoffrey McDonnell. Nowhere in the review does McDonnell identify himself as "YDKM" on FECC.

We are not mind-readers here, try to write with clarity in the future. Thank you.

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 am

stevelecher wrote:Good to know there really are no disastrous shows. Just some quite bad shows and some real bad shows but no disasters. Seriously, professionally speaking, most of Elvis' last year is a disaster. It's amazing we have debated this for 46 pages. I have no problem calling New Haven and Hampton Roads disasters too.

For perspective though, yesterday I watched the June 19, 1977 Omaha concert and, poor as it is, it is a masterpiece compared to Houston. How can anyone here not think both these concerts are disasters?


Maybe this is part of their daily gear:


Image

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 am

stevelecher wrote:Good to know there really are no disastrous shows. Just some quite bad shows and some real bad shows but no disasters. Seriously, professionally speaking, most of Elvis' last year is a disaster. It's amazing we have debated this for 46 pages. I have no problem calling New Haven and Hampton Roads disasters too.

For perspective though, yesterday I watched the June 19, 1977 Omaha concert and, poor as it is, it is a masterpiece compared to Houston. How can anyone here not think both these concerts are disasters?


In cases like these I go to a dictionary.

It stated, "A total failure".

These shows can be considered failures, and there fore disasters, but I don't think they are total failures.

They fail in certain areas. The sound system failed. Elvis failed to keep the whole crowd entertained.

The band didn't fail. Elvis was on stage for 80 minutes. He succeded to entertain a large portion of the crowd, especially those up closer to the stage, given the appluase heard.

Elvis failed to properly prepare himself musically for this show. He failed to keep himself healthy for this show.

But he did put forth an effort. He tried. He was weak and under powerful sleeping meds.

Another show you can't call a total failure would be Desert storm. If you were to edit out all the talking and threats he made at that show,
musically he put on some nice performances. So he succeded in that vien.