Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Houston We Have A Problem.New Soundboard

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am

YDKM wrote:no Houston show should NEVER be released!~ :smt002 :?

Ever.

I'd love to hear the Astrodome shows, wouldn't you?

drjohncarpenter wrote:Double negative!

He shouldn't never do that.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 am

:cry: well guy's English is my worst subject!~ :|

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am

YDKM wrote::cry: well guy's English is my worst subject!~ :|

Troubled speech fits this topic title doesn't it? :wink:

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:39 am

Rob wrote:After finally listening to this show, I can share some thoughts I have about it. This is not an enjoyable listen in any way, shape, or form. The only bright spots, if one wants to call it that, are some funny comments made by Elvis. Going only by listening to this show as compared to hundreds of others that this fan has heard, it is not a "disaster." It is not good, that's for sure, but not what I expected, either. The worst part is that Elvis is very thick-tongued and slurring his words. He does lag in tempo on more than one song. However, he still has his wits about him. Per a couple of references in the show, he knows where he is. The mind is right, but the words get lost between that mind and exiting his mouth. I hear stories about people leaving, crying, etc. However, from what I hear, many people do not even notice. It is a very enthusiastic crowd throughout and they are laughing at his jokes and applauding wildly. Naturally, at the end, he tells them that they have been one of the best audiences ever. This was indeed a very energetic audience. The thing that makes this so ugly is the slurring and not being able to maintain the tempo in a couple of songs. Again, the mind was there, but the sluggishness in his voice overpowered it. Polk Salad Annie was a decent listen and American The Beautiful, he pulled off rather well. Everyone knows the summer of '76 wasn't good for the main attraction. This show was no exception. I have only listened to the New Haven FTD once and this reminded me very much of that show. If you go into this expecting the worst, you may be a little surprised, but don't get your hopes up too much. It was rough. Not what some call a "disaster," but rough nevertheless. I will listen to it again someday, but there are so much more I will listen to first. For those into summer shows from 1976, check out the June 25th Buffalo show. Though an audience recording, there is no comparison between those two.

I was a big fan of Muhammad Ali growing up. Listening to Elvis during this show in Houston reminded me of how I felt watching Ali in the ring with Trevor Berbick in 1981.

Based on that last comment, maybe this show was a disaster after all.

Great post. This really sums it up nicely with all nuances. Also the spot-on comparison with later-career Ali: you feel helpless watching the drama unfold, mismanaged (not only Parker: Elvis didn't take care of Elvis) talent and wasted health (and wealth), but there's nothing you can do. For me, with these kind of Elvis shows, it always boils down to rooting for Elvis to somehow get it together, albeit on the last numbers or somewhere in between. Where he sounds like the earlier healthier Elvis somehow, just like I still watch the later Ali fights from time to time to see glimpses of faded skills. With Elvis, it was show after show, with Ali fight after fight. And each time you see them slipping more and more. I always look for a redeeming factor or factors. Because I love these guys. But in reality it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I can't help it. "Polk Salad Annie" is interesting in this show, because of Jerry's solo, but for me, that's pretty much it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 am

:D Wow Jame 27...VERY WELL Written indeed!~ and brilliant comments by Rob in his comments also !~ :D
-especially in comparing to the shows in June/July 76'...last decent shows b4 the abysmal summer 'standard' :|

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 am

Ciscoking wrote:100%...

Cisco, if the Buffalo '76 show is ever chosen for release, please listen to the following day's shows in Providence. The matinee performance of America brings a standing ovation that starts well before the song's conclusion. The night show has him adding Italian lyrics in It's Now Or Never. Bonus tracks!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 am

Elvis sleep singing how did he remember what to do on autopilot? He sounds asleep too.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:28 am

ritchie valens wrote:Elvis sleep singing how did he remember what to do on autopilot? He sounds asleep too.

I've not heard the show, I have heard samples, though and probably what happened he didn't get in bed til some time that morning, and his sleeping medication was probably affecting him pretty hard even by the time he took the stage, which is why he seems so slow, as far as keeping up tempo with the band etc.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 am

You can tell he is asleep cause the mic squeals a lot and he is off the mic some of the time too.
Did anybody play this for Elvis when he is fully awake to show how bad it is? You would think somebody would have.
I Was looking a pic i saw on the net shows him in the limo he is defiantly asleep in that pic.
He should have drank lots of caffeine to wake up.Wonder why take sleeping pills before a show anyways.
most of the girls are screaming loud think he would wake up.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 am

The Ali analogy is spot on. Despite his slipping, any glimmer of past greatness from Ali, brought the crowd to it's feet. You are talking about the two most famous and charismatic people on earth during the seventies, thus they (right or wrong) were given more slack from their fans on bad nights. "And that's just the way it is!"

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:51 am

ritchie valens wrote:You can tell he is asleep cause the mic squeals a lot and he is off the mic some of the time too.
Did anybody play this for Elvis when he is fully awake to show how bad it is? You would think somebody would have.
I Was looking a pic i saw on the net shows him in the limo he is defiantly asleep in that pic.
He should have drank lots of caffeine to wake up.Wonder why take sleeping pills before a show anyways.
most of the girls are screaming loud think he would wake up.

No the caffience would'nt had helped really and just would've made him feel worse he needed to sleep the medication off.

Thats like saying just let him take a hand full of uppers, this is bad. Mixing and all this. No wonder he sounds so moody sometimes, these medications messed with him bad.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 am

hm80ep wrote:
Audionics was recently able to locate and purchase the original soundboard tape of this concert, and we are now pleased to announce its release.

Robert wrote:Is it safe to say the Houston show was never considered for FTD release?

Ciscoking wrote:100%...

This discussion is getting more interesting by the minute. :wink:

Months ago I spoke with Ernst about it..long before this release...it has nothing to do with it..
I shortly had it in mind...but I dropped it pretty soon..

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 am

well we do look forward to whatever next you have in mind Ciscoking!~ :smt002 :wink: :D

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 am

I say mix em up. I think we have had too many later 74 and after shows for a while.

I hope they can find a late 1970 or late 1971 tour show. That would be cool on soundbaord.

We have been waiting a long time for one of those.

I know we got Boston, but I am talking about another one. Perhaps something previously unreleased.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 am

I still didn't listen to a single second of this show yet but after Rob's great observations I will eventually give it a spin some day. When I listen to a new Elvis concert I'm mostly more interested in his comments and interactions with the crowd than the music. Especially when it comes to '76 shows. :|

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:02 pm

It's pretty sad that we all agree that Elvis was still under the influence of his "sleep" medication and think nothing of it. The fans who went to see Elvis this night must have been so disappointed, I'm talking about the ones who don't get mesmerized and scream the place down at the very sight of an overweight asleep Elvis.
As I said earlier this show is just another bad show from summer 76, it's not as bad as I feared but certainly it is one of the worst you will hear. Everyone is saying Polk Salad Annie is decent? The TCB band were still rocking but Elvis slurrs his way through it, not sure how anyone can say its a decent performance of the song.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 pm

It's a bit more than sleep medication if the accounts of what he was taking are to be believed.. Some of that stuff was way out of the league of sleeping meds... More akin to a cancer ward sadly.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:23 pm

It's a bit more than sleep medication if the accounts of what he was taking are to be believed.. Some of that stuff was way out of the league of sleeping meds... More akin to a cancer ward sadly.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 pm

it's a bad show but listening is improved if you listen whilst drinking!~ :wink: :shock: 8)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Joe Car wrote:Despite his slipping, any glimmer of past greatness from Ali, brought the crowd to it's feet. You are talking about the two most famous and charismatic people on earth during the seventies, thus they (right or wrong) were given more slack from their fans on bad nights. "And that's just the way it is!"

don´t think so.
as you said, any glimmer of past greatness brought the crowd to their feet.
elvis and muhammad had the most devoted and loyal fans to this day.
to me it looks, as if many of them were also the most lenient and forgiving fans one can imagine. that was part of their tragedy.
heroes die hard and even harder, when the die in front of you.

just like rob, i was a big fan of both men growing up.
the striking similarities between these two american icons justify more than one exta thread.
there are more.
both were generous and charitable.
both had bad or none financial consultants (or wouldn´t listen to the good ones).
both squandered their money living life to the fullest, spending it for (too) many employees, including false friends, parasites, ex wifes etc.
both were rumored to be nearly broke in the second half of the 70s.

most important,
both of them felt the need and wanted to carry on,
because they thought too many people were financially dependend from them
and were ignoring their health issues over it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Just listening to it now, it is by far the worst show I have ever heard of his :( It's very sad. The only saving grace is some humour from the man, as always :) I'd much rather hear a show where he is on 'uppers' not downers, even if it results in monologues like in Vegas 74 etc. Put this performance next to TTWII only 6 years earlier and it's like listening to a different person poor Elvis :( He does try bloody hard though.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Gee, 27 pages talking about this crappy CD. How very sad!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:52 pm

I just heard All Shook Up from this show... besides Hurt, that was posted earlier on this thread, that's all I've heard from this show... that was enough. I'm still shaking my head... that wasn't Elvis singing... couldn't be.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 pm

During this 80 minutes show, there are few flashes of Elvis Presley.

The ending of Mountain, bits and pieces of PSA and IGAW and the Hurt ending..
This together with a so-so America and a snippet of Elvis humor makes the cd.
The band rocks.

The rest is, without a single doubt, the worst I've ever heard from my hero.
At this point I actually think College park wasn't that bad, go figure.
This will take a long time to get out of my mind.

Still, Audionics did it and it deserves a place in my EP collection.

Be careful driving home.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Gee, 27 pages talking about this crappy CD. How very sad!!!!!!!!

The same person complaining about 27 pages just added to it.

That's a little sad, too.