Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm

ShopElvis has a DVD & T-Shirt Combo for Pre-Order -->


Image


http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?pc=EP133COMBO

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Just got confirmation that Aloha from hawaii 40th anniversary is being shipped now.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:ShopElvis has a DVD & T-Shirt Combo for Pre-Order -->


Image


http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?pc=EP133COMBO



That's pretty kool, I think I'm going to order that !!!

Thanks for the update Rich !

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:48 pm

...I ordered the dvd as well! I cant wait to see it!

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:ShopElvis has a DVD & T-Shirt Combo for Pre-Order -->


Image


http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?pc=EP133COMBO


Wow - love it!

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Here is someone selling the dvd with pictures of the inside of the dvd. The description mentions the 1957 Hawaii gold lame footage is included in this dvd. Very interesting however I think the person might be making a small profit on his sale. :facep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-aloha-fro ... 232e786827

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Received this yesterday. I'm going to do a full review later this week on my site, but I thought I'd provide a few more details now since the marketing has been almost non-existent:

  • It is in widescreen, anamorphic format (enhanced for widescreen TVs). Most of the time there are three images on the screen (sometimes the same angle repeated 3 times, more often 2 different angles, very infrequently 3 different angles). Left and right images are slightly cropped. Not sure if that's how it was at the 2013 Hawaiian screening. Sometimes, they go a little insane with the video effects, but that was probably more effective at the live screening.
  • The core of the show is the complete January 14, 1973, concert (including the "lying like a rug," "flunky" and Jack Lords lines), but with most of the insert songs also included.
  • The only missing song is the "Hawaiian Wedding Song" insert. ["No More" is also not included, but that matches with the original US broadcast.]
  • "Johnny B. Goode" is included, so EPE was either able to make a deal (unlike Warner) or their previous deal from circa-2004 allowed for this.
  • The "Blue Hawaii" and "Ku-u-i-po" insert songs have Elvis hawaiian memories added to them (movie production photos, 1957 concert footage, etc.).
  • The color 1957 Hawaii concert footage lasts 30 seconds... but what a 30 seconds!
  • On first listen, I'm not a big fan of the sound mix. Rears are rarely used. When they are, it tends to be the background singers, which feels bizarre (they are supposed to be sitting in the audience behind you?). I've not investigated fully, but it appears to be Dolby 5.1.

Troy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:Received this yesterday. I'm going to do a full review later this week on my site, but I thought I'd provide a few more details now since the marketing has been almost non-existent:

  • It is in widescreen, anamorphic format (enhanced for widescreen TVs). Most of the time there are three images on the screen (sometimes the same angle repeated 3 times, more often 2 different angles, very infrequently 3 different angles). Left and right images are slightly cropped. Not sure if that's how it was at the 2013 Hawaiian screening. Sometimes, they go a little insane with the video effects, but that was probably more effective at the live screening.
  • The core of the show is the complete January 14, 1973, concert (including the "lying like a rug," "flunky" and Jack Lords lines), but with most of the insert songs also included.
  • The only missing song is the "Hawaiian Wedding Song" insert. ["No More" is also not included, but that matches with the original US broadcast.]
  • "Johnny B. Goode" is included, so EPE was either able to make a deal (unlike Warner) or their previous deal from circa-2004 allowed for this.
  • The "Blue Hawaii" and "Ku-u-i-po" insert songs have Elvis hawaiian memories added to them (movie production photos, 1957 concert footage, etc.).
  • The color 1957 Hawaii concert footage lasts 30 seconds... but what a 30 seconds!
  • On first listen, I'm not a big fan of the sound mix. Rears are rarely used. When they are, it tends to be the background singers, which feels bizarre (they are supposed to be sitting in the audience behind you?). I've not investigated fully, but it appears to be Dolby 5.1.

Troy


Thanks for the review. Looking forward for more comments ;-)

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

So, basically the original NBC broadcast television concert has been re-edited (again) from scratch ?

milk it son ...

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 pm

It was re-edited for the big-screen show in Hawaii and to me it's fun to have that version on DVD. :D

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Some footage would be nice to :), i have to wait 4 weeks before i get it :(

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Some footage would be nice to :), i have to wait 4 weeks before i get it :(


true - isn't there some video trailer?

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Probably the best way to put it this DVD is the "Elvis On Tour " version or 'cut', since the producers use the existing footage
and assemble it in multiple screens ala "On Tour", It might be repackage but it is more than just a new cover and the same songs.
They are the same song but the performances are you could say "re imagined". For $14.99 you are getting enough of a difference to make the purchase
worthwhile.

Burning Love

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I saw the screening at the Orpheum Theater on August 16th & it is definitely worth the price! It is remixed in split screen images of Elvis with different camera angles. The songs Elvis did at the end of the American Aloha broadcast April 4, 1973 are interwoven with the concert. The color 1957 footage of Elvis on stage in Honolulu is shown during Ku-U-I-Po! It's the best Aloha I have ever seen!!

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Fabbe wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Some footage would be nice to :), i have to wait 4 weeks before i get it :(


true - isn't there some video trailer?


nope :(

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm

This is not available in Europe right?

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

When it was screened a few days ago in Bad Nauheim, the only differences I could see were the shortening of the arrival / helicopter footage but they have added sound to the short discussion between Elvis and Tom Moffat so you can now hear what they are saying to each other (just about). Short bits of home movie arrival footage (originally used in one of the "short shots and silent clips" DVD's) have been inserted for a few seconds here and there during Elvis' walkabout on arrival where the TV cameras became out of range.
The actual show appears to use more close-ups of Elvis' face and "Blue suede shoes" no longer shows that girl with the headband in the audience. It focuses on Elvis instead for those couple of shots. There were no 'post show' songs (Blue Hawaii etc) shown at the German screening and not much 'split screen' at all.
The sound in the auditorium in Bad Nauheim was very very good and it was shown on a big screen to a half full house with the 3 remaining members of the TCB band in attendance.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Tony.. wrote:When it was screened a few days ago in Bad Nauheim, the only differences I could see were the shortening of the arrival / helicopter footage but they have added sound to the short discussion between Elvis and Tom Moffat so you can now hear what they are saying to each other (just about). Short bits of home movie arrival footage (originally used in one of the "short shots and silent clips" DVD's) have been inserted for a few seconds here and there during Elvis' walkabout on arrival where the TV cameras became out of range.
The actual show appears to use more close-ups of Elvis' face and "Blue suede shoes" no longer shows that girl with the headband in the audience. It focuses on Elvis instead for those couple of shots. There were no 'post show' songs (Blue Hawaii etc) shown at the German screening and not much 'split screen' at all.
The sound in the auditorium in Bad Nauheim was very very good and it was shown on a big screen to a half full house with the 3 remaining members of the TCB band in attendance.


In the Aloha DVD box from 2004 this was already edited out Tony, keep up son! ;)

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Tony.. wrote:but they have added sound to the short discussion between Elvis and Tom Moffat so you can now hear what they are saying to each other (just about).


Does it sound worse than this version?

phpBB [video]

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Tony.. wrote:When it was screened a few days ago in Bad Nauheim, the only differences I could see were the shortening of the arrival / helicopter footage but they have added sound to the short discussion between Elvis and Tom Moffat so you can now hear what they are saying to each other (just about). Short bits of home movie arrival footage (originally used in one of the "short shots and silent clips" DVD's) have been inserted for a few seconds here and there during Elvis' walkabout on arrival where the TV cameras became out of range.
The actual show appears to use more close-ups of Elvis' face and "Blue suede shoes" no longer shows that girl with the headband in the audience. It focuses on Elvis instead for those couple of shots. There were no 'post show' songs (Blue Hawaii etc) shown at the German screening and not much 'split screen' at all.
The sound in the auditorium in Bad Nauheim was very very good and it was shown on a big screen to a half full house with the 3 remaining members of the TCB band in attendance.


In the Aloha DVD box from 2004 this was already edited out Tony, keep up son! ;)


Was it really?? So even THAT bit is not 'new'! :? When you are just watching something time and time again to try and notice what is 'different' about all these re-releases, is when the fun is taken out of watching things just for the pleasure of it. This is also what happened when comparing all the differing variations of the TTWII out-take releases in the past.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am

Tony.. wrote:There were no 'post show' songs (Blue Hawaii etc) shown at the German screening and not much 'split screen' at all.


The 2013 DVD is different than what you saw in Germany, then, because the DVD is split screen 99% of the time - anywhere from three to dozens of images at once.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
Tony.. wrote:There were no 'post show' songs (Blue Hawaii etc) shown at the German screening and not much 'split screen' at all.


The 2013 DVD is different than what you saw in Germany, then, because the DVD is split screen 99% of the time - anywhere from three to dozens of images at once.


can you please upload a clip to youtube of the dvd :)

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 am

Look at the first page of this thread there is a video of a news report with highlights of the video.

Burning Love

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 am

Burning Love wrote:Look at the first page of this thread there is a video of a news report with highlights of the video.

Burning Love


all i see is the opening of see see rider?. i meant a full song. i also ordered the dvd but gotta wait 4 weeks.

Re: Aloha 40th Anniversary Edition DVD

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Here is my full review of Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii - 40th Anniversary Edition DVD: http://wp.me/pRACz-16m

Troy