Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Nice comments, epf. I appreciate your "review."

I really am glad to have this concert. A great CD which takes a back seat to nothing! If we had everyone of 1969 shows recorded and available I would find a way to purchase them. Elvis at his best! No need for me to expound as others have said it way better than I. I have all of the 1969 official releases and each time I listen it is an enjoyable experience. I am never bored with Elvis in 1969. THANK YOU to the FTD team!

rlj

Indeed! More than a third of the show on Hot August Night was officially issued by RCA three months later (7 tracks), and listening to all of it now, in 2013, it could have been more:

Elvis Presley
Monday, August 25, 1969 MS
International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

Blue Suede Shoes - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
I Got A Woman
All Shook Up - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Love Me Tender
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
I Can't Stop Loving You - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
My Babe - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Mystery Train / Tiger Man - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Monologue
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Runaway
Are You Lonesome To-night?
Words - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Yesterday / Hey Jude
In The Ghetto - Writing For The King (FTD)
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love

The show has many highlights. Elvis hits all the notes, and with ease. "My Babe" has such a nice, hard edge. Presley hits this R&B classic with confidence and power, and the band is right there. How many Elvis songs in the later era may one say that about? Not many. His mid-set monologue is once again a fascinating, honest and revelatory experience. Elvis would never be so candid in public again.

"A lot has been written and said, but not from my side of the story."

"Then I went to, uh, the Steve Allen show. And, uh, they were going to tame me down. So they had me dressed in a tuxedo, and singing to a dog on a stool."

"So I was living it up pretty good, and then I got drafted. And shafted, and everything else, man. Uh, so just overnight, it was all gone, you know. I was in a different world."

"Runaway" is a light, free-flowing cover, a beautiful rendition where Larry Muhoberac's piano triplets vie with James' smooth guitar licks for top honors with the lead vocal. Presley must have always loved the Del Shannon hit. After closing out a graceful "In The Ghetto" he says "Thank you, Mac" to the cowriter of his #3 hit, Mac Davis. The extended introduction to "Suspicious Minds" is unexpected and pretty cool, and the tempo is more breakneck than a few weeks earlier. It reflects the nervous energy in the air, perhaps. It is also a KILLER version, running over 7 minutes, that brings down the house. Listen after he finishes a frenetic "What'd I Say" for a two-liner of "Polk Salad Annie," too. Can you imagine being there?

Beyond the incredible performances, superb sound quality and beautiful booklet, there are even more unique moments of interest.

In the introductions Elvis credits James Burton by saying "his name is Lightnin' Hopkins" ... which is so cool, because I have never heard him make a reference to that great, great bluesman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightnin'_Hopkins

He also gives singer and actress Nancy Sinatra an incredibly warm and generous introduction:

First of all, the, uh, young lady that opens here when I do. She's, uh, I just did a picture with her, and I don't know what to say about her, man, I really dig her. She's really fantastic, she's going to have a fantastic show here. I'd like you to say hello to Miss Nancy Sinatra, ladies and gentlemen. You out there, baby? You out there, sweetheart? Right there, aw, my girl, my girl! Love you.

Wow. No wonder Presley attended her opening show a few days later, and the one a year later at Caesar's Palace. He also praises tunesmith and future star Mac Davis, sitting in Nancy's booth, and thanks comedian Buddy Hackett for a letter he wrote to Elvis in Germany back in 1959 where Hackett said he was "taking care" of his girlfriend back home! Singer and buddy Tom Jones ("my good friend Thomas Jones") and actress Shelley Fabares ("one of the most lovely creatures I've ever met") also receive big hellos from Presley. No wonder his game was up, up, up during this evening's performance.

Elvis Presley firing all ALL cylinders. Every fan should have this CD.

P.S. It's also nice no one has bitched about the cover and booklet's track list numbering error. Bless you!

Tremendous post Doc. I can only imagine being in the audience and listening to all of this! ::rocks

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice post. Elvis and Nancy really had a nice relationship which probably made Frank respect Elvis a lot more also. In fact I wonder what their relationship was really like. I have heard Elvis really did not care for Frank but they seemed to get along ok. All in all, I think I will just listen to Elvis in 1969 and 1970 live. Its at his best and its the Elvis I'd like to remember in concert.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:00 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:Yes and where exactly did that screaming bit at the end of "I Can't Stop Loving You" come from on the "In Person" version ?

Yeah, I wonder also. A friend of mine told me years back that it had been edited in and I was left in disbelief. Now I finally have the audio proof of it.
I think somebody else here can surely help us out in this matter.

We had a discussion concerning this edit last week. (See below):
PiersEIN wrote:BTW re the "orgasm" at the end of 'I Can't Stop Loving You'.
I can hear the edit, taken from this performance, where they looped her screams (there is also a repeat of the same audience background laughter) and then they have inserted them - repeated twice - into the pause in the song.
I don't believe it came from an alternate recording.
After all that, it was a fake orgasm!!!

How many of those did Elvis get on tape!

Cheers, Piers

Thank you Piers for the info.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:22 am

nevermind wrote:Although they are quality concerts, we heard it before and know whats coming, unlike Sold Out (Tulsa). EP's health, good/not good, source (soundboard or multi-track) is also not relevant. Not for nothing Hot August Night doesnt sell very well against Sold Out.

You were sincerely surprised by Tusla's content? Ever heard a 1974 concert before? Also Sprach Zarathustra must have been a shocker. Can you believe that he played See See Rider? Did the dive-bomb dazzle you like never before? Suspicious Minds and Hound Dog were tossed away; another big surprise. Did the shocking reprise of Let Me Be There require repeat listening to be believed? The biggest surprise must have been that the concert ended with Can't Help Falling In Love followed by the Closing Vamp.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 am

midnightx wrote:
nevermind wrote:Although they are quality concerts, we heard it before and know whats coming, unlike Sold Out (Tulsa). EP's health, good/not good, source (soundboard or multi-track) is also not relevant. Not for nothing Hot August Night doesnt sell very well against Sold Out.

You were sincerely surprised by Tusla's content? Ever heard a 1974 concert before? Also Sprach Zarathustra must have been a shocker. Can you believe that he played See See Rider? Did the dive-bomb dazzle you like never before? Suspicious Minds and Hound Dog were tossed away; another big surprise. Did the shocking reprise of Let Me Be There require repeat listening to be believed? The biggest surprise must have been that the concert ended with Can't Help Falling In Love followed by the Closing Vamp.

Man, can you lighten up and take it down a notch?

I am going to pray for you.
Jesus can perform miracles.

But I am not sure if he can change you from a dick to a nice person though.

That would be a miracle.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

That would be a miracle.

Basically all Elvis concerts are predictable by whatever the year. Every year had its own basic set list. Even the ad-libs and jokes never change. Speaking of the dive-bomber bit. I never want to hear that again for my remaining time on earth.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:56 am

r&b wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

That would be a miracle.

Basically all Elvis concerts are predictable by whatever the year. Every year had its own basic set list. Even the ad-libs and jokes never change. Speaking of the dive-bomber bit. I never want to hear that again for my remaining time on earth.

Basically predictability is all relative.

How predicitable is Elvis compared to other artists?

If he is so very predictable then why are we still buying soundbaords this many years later, and alot of them?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Danny boy' live in 1976?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Rags to riches" in 1977?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Young and beautiful" in 1976?

Could you have predicted he would sing "You can have her" in 1974?

Could you have predicted he would threaten to rip someone's tongue out in 1974?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Reconsider baby" in 1969?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Your the reason I'm living" in 1975?

Just something for you to think about.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:04 am

Mike S wrote: We had a discussion concerning this edit last week. (See below):
PiersEIN wrote: BTW re the "orgasm" at the end of 'I Can't Stop Loving You'.
I can hear the edit, taken from this performance, where they looped her screams (there is also a repeat of the same audience background laughter) and then they have inserted them - repeated twice - into the pause in the song.
I don't believe it came from an alternate recording.
After all that, it was a fake orgasm!!!
How many of those did Elvis get on tape!
Cheers, Piers

Thank you Piers for the info.

Yes indeed we did discuss this all last week and much more besides - there is a 2,700 detailed review on EIN here, including scans from the fabulous booklet.
HOT AUGUST NIGHT
>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftd_review_ ... night.html

Cheers, Piers

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I really am glad to have this concert. A great CD which takes a back seat to nothing! If we had everyone of 1969 shows recorded and available I would find a way to purchase them. Elvis at his best! No need for me to expound as others have said it way better than I. I have all of the 1969 official releases and each time I listen it is an enjoyable experience. I am never bored with Elvis in 1969. THANK YOU to the FTD team!

rlj

Indeed! More than a third of the show on Hot August Night was officially issued by RCA three months later (7 tracks), and listening to all of it now, in 2013, it could have been more:

Elvis Presley

I Got A Woman
Love Me Tender
Heartbreak Hotel
Monologue
Runaway
Yesterday / Hey Jude
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say

The show has many highlights. Elvis hits all the notes, and with ease. "My Babe" has such a nice, hard edge. Presley hits this R&B classic with confidence and power, and the band is right there. How many Elvis songs in the later era may one say that about? Not many. His mid-set monologue is once again a fascinating, honest and revelatory experience. Elvis would never be so candid in public again.

"Then I went to, uh, the Steve Allen show. And, uh, they were going to tame me down. So they had me dressed in a tuxedo, and singing to a dog on a stool."

"So I was living it up pretty good, and then I got drafted. And shafted, and everything else, man. Uh, so just overnight, it was all gone, you know. I was in a different world."

"Runaway" is a light, free-flowing cover, a beautiful rendition where Larry Muhoberac's piano triplets vie with James' smooth guitar licks for top honors with the lead vocal. Presley must have always loved the Del Shannon hit. After closing out a graceful "In The Ghetto" he says "Thank you, Mac" to the cowriter of his #3 hit, Mac Davis. The extended introduction to "Suspicious Minds" is unexpected and pretty cool, and the tempo is more breakneck than a few weeks earlier. It reflects the nervous energy in the air, perhaps. It is also a KILLER version, running over 7 minutes, that brings down the house. Listen after he finishes a frenetic "What'd I Say" for a two-liner of "Polk Salad Annie," too. Can you imagine being there?

Beyond the incredible performances, superb sound quality and beautiful booklet, there are even more unique moments of interest.

In the introductions Elvis credits James Burton by saying "his name is Lightnin' Hopkins" ... which is so cool, because I have never heard him make a reference to that great, great bluesman.

He also gives singer and actress Nancy Sinatra an incredibly warm and generous introduction:

First of all, the, uh, young lady that opens here when I do. She's, uh, I just did a picture with her, and I don't know what to say about her, man, I really dig her. She's really fantastic, she's going to have a fantastic show here. I'd like you to say hello to Miss Nancy Sinatra, ladies and gentlemen. You out there, baby? You out there, sweetheart? Right there, aw, my girl, my girl! Love you.

Wow. No wonder Presley attended her opening show a few days later, and the one a year later at Caesar's Palace. He also praises tunesmith and future star Mac Davis, sitting in Nancy's booth, and thanks comedian Buddy Hackett for a letter he wrote to Elvis in Germany back in 1959 where Hackett said he was "taking care" of his girlfriend back home! Singer and buddy Tom Jones ("my good friend Thomas Jones") and actress Shelley Fabares ("one of the most lovely creatures I've ever met") also receive big hellos from Presley. No wonder his game was up, up, up during this evening's performance.

P.S. It's also nice no one has bitched about the cover and booklet's track list numbering error. Bless you!

As always, a great post, DOC!! Thanks for your insight.

rlj

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

rlj

Elvis Presley

I Got A Woman
Love Me Tender
Heartbreak Hotel
Monologue
Runaway
Yesterday / Hey Jude
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say

You just made me want to get this. I was wondering if I should get it or not, but now u convinced me!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

That would be a miracle.

Lol

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 am

midnightx wrote:

That was hilarious. :-)

And such a reply is well-deserved for a member who clearly hates anyone who likes Elvis at his best (Jul-Aug 1969).

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 am

midnightx wrote:

Troll much. :facep:

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

And such a reply is well-deserved for a member who clearly hates anyone who likes Elvis at his best (Jul-Aug 1969).

Check yourself. It was not the least bit hilarious.

It was the usual piss poor attitude and sarcasm that is very very very very common with that idiots posts.

In short- he was being a smart ass, and not a funny one. It's so tiresome i can't begin to tell you.

And how preDICtible your tag-team reply is. You can't do better than that?
Last edited by ekenee on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am

ekenee wrote:How predicitable is Elvis ?

If he is so very predictable then why are we still buying soundbaords this many years later, and alot of them?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Danny boy' live in 1976? - no

Could you have predicted he would sing "Rags to riches" in 1977? - no

Could you have predicted he would sing "Young and beautiful" in 1976? - no

Could you have predicted he would sing "You can have her" in 1974? - no

Could you have predicted he would threaten to rip someone's tongue out in 1974? --> YES!

Could you have predicted he would sing "Reconsider baby" in 1969? - no

Could you have predicted he would sing "Your the reason I'm living" in 1975? - no

::rocks

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I assume you agree with your buddy, midnightzzzz, about the Tulsa performance. Also, can you give us the quote, where i said, i hate Vegas 69? Happy hunting!

And look here:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm currently running through FTD's Elvis Presley: Sold Out!

First up, the 1974 tour opener at the ORU Maybee Center in Tulsa on Friday, March 1, and I am really impressed. Elvis is, for the most part, in a very sharp, clear voice. He is a man dedicated to his craft, and whenever he was all in, so was the band. For example, "Tryin' to Get to You" is a vintage '50s classic given a great deal of love early in the evening, much to the delight of the first-generation fans in attendance.

740301_w Oral Roberts_Tulsa.JPG

As noted, Kris Kristofferson's "Why Me (Lord)" is done straight, and undoubtedly the presence of Oral Roberts might have been a big reason why. It's a lot better this way. "Suspicious Minds" is flying at high tempo, but there are no "shove it up your nose" or "not much" jokes from Presley. It's also a lot better this way.

Given that there had been a three-week break since the 2-09-1974 CS at the Hilton in Las Vegas, there must have been some very good tour rehearsals at RCA Hollywood at the end of February. "Johnny B. Goode" sports a nice duet on the choruses with Charlie Hodge. "Help Me" features vocal group Voice backing the singer, and rather than being repugnant it's focused and engaged. "Thank you, Sherrill," Elvis says after it's done.

"An American Trilogy" is well done, with everyone serving the song as it should be served. A soon-to-be staple like "Let Me Be There," is delivered at a non-rushed tempo, how stunning! The band is far from sloppy, and even Duke Bardwell's bass, to be much maligned in the coming year, is quite fine. On "Fever" Duke even does a cocky little flourish at the end!

Elvis gives a shout out to Oral Roberts and his family at the close, dedicating "Can't Help Falling In Love" to them. We even get a bit of Al Dvorin's souvenir announcement after the closing vamp. Bravo, FTD.

The cover art and booklet clearly had a great deal of work invested in them, and they are a big drink on their own. There are a number of color photos from this tour new to my eyes that really add to the experience. This is what a collector's label is all about. A tip of the cap to Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos for their latest wonderful effort for Follow That Dream, and of course Ernst and Roger as well.

I'll check in again after I read the booklet through, and dig into the show in Cleveland.

In one word, HILARIOUS!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:28 pm

ekenee wrote:
r&b wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

That would be a miracle.

Basically predictability is all relative.

How predicitable is Elvis compared to other artists?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Danny boy' live in 1976?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Rags to riches" in 1977?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Young and beautiful" in 1976?

Could you have predicted he would sing "You can have her" in 1974?

Could you have predicted he would threaten to rip someone's tongue out in 1974?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Reconsider baby" in 1969?

Could you have predicted he would sing "Your the reason I'm living" in 1975?

I don't have to think about it. The key word is basic. I said the basic song list was the same for each tour show. That he threw the odd song in once in a while is no big deal. Some of those songs were only have hearted attempts anyway . You basically know its gonna be CC Rider, I Got A woman, dive bomber Amen, Love me, throw scarves, etc. Springsteen & McCartney on tour it mix it up every night. You never know what's coming. A real good friend of mine and a Springsteen freak says one of the joys of being a fan is checking the song list each night with other fans who see the shows and being surprised at what he does. How nice is that? Rip somebody's tongue out? Why would that even count as anything? Sorry, the tours got very boring after 1972.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

r&b wrote:Sorry, the tours got very boring after 1972.

Boring for who? Us the listener of show after show? Maybe some get bored. Granted, I only saw Elvis twice, once in 1974 and once in 1977. I can tell you that there were approximately 19,000 people at each show and I didn't see anyone get bored.

That said, I could only see like the first row here.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Rob wrote:

Boring for who? Us the listener of show after show? Maybe some get bored. Granted, I only saw Elvis twice, once in 1974 and once in 1977. I can tell you that there were approximately 19,000 people at each show and I didn't see anyone get bored.

Exactly.. If R&B is bored then why is he/she even here?

And I guess the endless stream of soundboards thru FTD and bootleggers is only a dream come true for us true fans.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Mccartney mixes it up everynight??? i have seen him 5 times over a number of years and the shows were almost indentical. Its laughabe to say that you never know whats going to happen at a Mccartney show.lol he has used the same damn dialogue at shows!

As for Bruce. you are right he changes things up. he is one of the RARE ones that do. but that's not always a good thing because a lot of people go see his shows and want the hits and there have been shows were he sings mainly new stuff that people could care less about and barely any hits. so there is a down side to it too.

Back in Elvis' day there where not many acts mixing it up every night. He did it more than a lot of people.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Rob wrote:

Being there is a totally different issue. Of course that is always exciting. I am talking about listening on cd or tape. I find most live shows boring (by anyone) if you cant see the performance. Even the 68 Comeback , by now, I just don't want to listen to it anymore without seeing it. Listening doesn't do it for me with two exceptions, one is Elvis in 1969 or James Brown Live At The Apollo.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 pm

ekenee wrote:
Rob wrote:

Exactly.. If R&B is bored then why is he/she even here?

And I guess the endless stream of soundboards thru FTD and bootleggers is only a dream come true for us true fans.

Why am I here? I think buying and listening to Elvis for 57 years entitles me to be here whether you agree with my observations or not. Not only do I find most live shows boring after 1972, I think Elvis was probably the most overrated performer in the world (by his fan base) after 1973. No one could have put out the product that he did and got away with it. The fans loved anything. That being said, he was the greatest performer on this earth from 1955-1961, and 1968-70!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 pm

DEH wrote:Mccartney mixes it up everynight??? i have seen him 5 times over a number of years and the shows were almost indentical. Its laughabe to say that you never know whats going to happen at a Mccartney show.lol he has used the same damn dialogue at shows!

As for Bruce. you are right he changes things up. he is one of the RARE ones that do. but that's not always a good thing because a lot of people go see his shows and want the hits and there have been shows were he sings mainly new stuff that people could care less about and barely any hits. so there is a down side to it too.

Back in Elvis' day there where not many acts mixing it up every night. He did it more than a lot of people.

5 times? You must really love Sir Paul! I've seen him twice, 3 years apart, and I must say the mix of Beatles songs he did varied.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:Mccartney mixes it up everynight??? i have seen him 5 times over a number of years and the shows were almost indentical. Its laughabe to say that you never know whats going to happen at a Mccartney show.lol he has used the same damn dialogue at shows!

5 times? You must really love Sir Paul! I've seen him twice, 3 years apart, and I must say the mix of Beatles songs he did varied.

In 3 years apart elvis' shows setlists did not change up??

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm

DEH wrote:
r&b wrote:

In 3 years apart elvis' shows setlists did not change up??

Not really as they should have. As I have stated, you had your basic opening routine, same songs. Then the scarves routine, etc. Then if he did mix it up, he brings back songs like Bridge OTW, a 1970 staple, 7 years later! Why? Let's take 3 years 1975, 76, 77, the shows really were the same and not in a good way. No need to respond, I can see you will never agree with me. Us longtime fans were always hoping he would revisit his own songs, especially the terribly neglected 1960's era. Instead he keeps ONJ songs in there for years, or My Way again back in 1977. Paul mixed it up better and with his own songs. When you have an artist with a treasure load of back catalog, like Elvis, it is mind blowing that catalog was for the most part ignored. But that's another topic. For me, not my cup of meat,