Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:19 am

DEH wrote:My faults with the 1969 engagement is that the setlists are not very interesting. Setlists in 1970, 1971, 1972 were way better. There is too much joking around in the 1969 shows including the same jokes over and over. There was less of that in the next couple years. Even when he is telling his life story he jokes all the way through it. Way too much joking. In 1970, 1971, 1972 he sang songs that showcased what a great singer he was. . Didn't really do that in the 1969 shows. You cant complain about Elvis energy level in the 69 shows but otherwise there are plenty of shows, engagements and tours that I like better then the 1969 shows.


Come again? He most certainly showcased his great singing abilities during the 1969 engagement. His singing was even more intense than during any other engagement. I think we must mean two different things, which is ok, but Elvis sang like a rock singer that first season and that is what he was. He did not go mainstream yet.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 am

The "Hot August Night" FTD is a show we are lucky to have in it's entirety in such great sound after all these years, a great 1969 show I recommend owning, and only second to the August 26, 1969 Midnight Show on FTD called "All Shook Up".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 am

2 CD Deluxe Set of two unreleased '69 shows by FTD would be nice to finish off whatever is left in the vaults....assuming there is only 2 shows left in the Sony vaults.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:25 am

TCB-FAN wrote:2 CD Deluxe Set of two unreleased '69 shows by FTD would be nice to finish off whatever is left in the vaults....assuming there is only 2 shows left in the Sony vaults.


With an ultimate book(let). With a presentation like APFAP. I could live with that. And one with a vintage mix (piano!) and one with a modern mix (drums at center). Oh, i wish i could work on a product like that, that would be a dream come true.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:00 pm

A fantastic show that runs over 70min. (!!!) But no longer a highlight for me because I have to many concerts from this time and I have known what I become to hear.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 pm

DEH wrote:My faults with the 1969 engagement is that the setlists are not very interesting. Setlists in 1970, 1971, 1972 were way better. There is too much joking around in the 1969 shows including the same jokes over and over. There was less of that in the next couple years. Even when he is telling his life story he jokes all the way through it. Way too much joking. In 1970, 1971, 1972 he sang songs that showcased what a great singer he was. . Didn't really do that in the 1969 shows. You cant complain about Elvis energy level in the 69 shows but otherwise there are plenty of shows, engagements and tours that I like better then the 1969 shows.


What other year has provided us as many good sounding shows? 1976 perhaps. And those were not multitracks. If you had to choose between 1969 and 1976, what would your choice be?
And if each season would provide only one show, things again would look different. It is all a matter of perspective.

What is striking to me is that there are virtually no false starts in 1969. They started to come the next season. And they would not go away.
I have asked myself this painful question: false start: professionalism at its peak or sloppiness? I ended up with the latter.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 pm

epf wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Thanks for the review. Since 7 of these tracks are already on the great FTD In Person CD, I feel that I already know this CD before I buy it. (but I AM going to buy it).


True. But to hear everything in context will make it an even better release. This is a killer show. Elvis maintained a very high level this season. And the extra fun is for example the introductions of guests who are in the audience.

And Suspicious Minds has a longer intro. This show just rocks.

My remarks were not meant as a review as such, i just tried to describe the contents on this cd, since i felt this great Must Have release was not getting as much attention as for example Sold Out! And while that is a very goof release, this one is just even better:Elvis in 1969!

:lol:

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:53 pm

We are lucky bastards!
Imagine, some 35 years after the mans death we are still able to hear new shows. Great!

Having said that:

1. For me personally 1969 is not a favorite year regarding Elvis "live". Although I ackowledge that Elvis was on top of his game, I like the variation in later setlists better. Also I do not like the rawness of his voice all the time. Just personal taste. Sorry.

2. I welcome every soundboard or multitrack bur I do not understand the hype some FECC members are creating here on some newly found Audionics soundboards. I always get exited when I get to buy new unheard concerts but let's not pretend its the holy grail if it's not.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 pm

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:That's not putting down the 1969 shows, and no-one is degrading the 1969 shows as you suggest; that is simply misrepresenting what people are saying.

Then you haven't been paying close attention for the past decade.


He does the best he can. ;-)

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32 pm

midnightx wrote:The "every set is the same...there are no surprises..." misguided rhetoric attached to 1969 concerts gets very old. From year to year, every tour and/or casino engagement had a set-list identity that Elvis rarely deviated from. Whether one is talking about 1969 or 1976, it won't be difficult to ascertain what is likely to be there. Elvis set a pinnacle for his live work in 1969 that he matched on occasion in 1970, and then as the years progressed, the level of overall quality continued to dip with the occasional resurgence (like March 1974 - which was still not even close to 1969 standards). There are no real surprises in these 1974 concerts - they are fine representations of the era. And they also don't come close to matching the level of Elvis' 1969 work. Additionally, the new 1969 release comes from a multitrack tape; the 1974 shows are soundboard sourced -- again, no comparison. The '70s fan-boys can try to diminish and degrade the 1969 concerts with their "every show is the same" routine, but the reality is that Elvis simply wasn't as good in '74. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Elvis' mid-'70s period, but there is no reason to make absurd assertions that somehow the mid-'70s should be elevated due to some misconceived notion that Elvis was full of variety and surprises, because that is not the case.


Thank you.

It should also be said that Elvis only gave 57 live performances in 1969, and there are very FEW 1969 multi-track concerts in the vaults. Eleven to be exact. And with the release of Hot August Night, only four remain to be heard. Given the hundreds of '70s soundboards awaiting release, these 1969 recordings are precious and rare.


Image


Rarity aside, Elvis Presley was at the TOP of his game in July-August 1969, so every single new show is an essential purchase for the serious Elvis fan. And Presley's nightly monologue, a truth-telling, stream-of-consciousness revelation without parallel in his performing career, is always worth close analysis.

Follow That Dream has graced us now with five (5) incredible complete shows from the 1969 multi-tracks, and RCA has given us two more, making it seven (7) issued in full. Not too many left now.

August 21 MS - Viva Las Vegas (RCA)

August 22 DS - Elvis In Person (FTD)
August 22 MS

August 23 DS
August 23 MS
- Elvis At The International (FTD)

August 24 DS - Live In Las Vegas (RCA)
August 24 MS

August 25 DS
August 25 MS
- Hot August Night (FTD)

August 26 DS - Live in Vegas (FTD)
August 26 MS - All Shook Up (FTD)

Actually we may only have three shows left to hear, as super fans practically have another 1969 multi-track show already in their collection:

Elvis Presley
Sunday, August 24, 1969 MS
International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV


Blue Suede Shoes - Writing For The King (FTD)
I Got A Woman - Writing For The King (FTD)
All Shook Up - Writing For The King (FTD)
Love Me Tender - Writing For The King (FTD)
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel - Writing For The King (FTD)
Heartbreak Hotel - Writing For The King (FTD)
Hound Dog - Writing For The King (FTD)
I Can't Stop Loving You
Johnny B. Goode - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Monologue
Baby What You Want Me To Do - Platinum (RCA)
Runaway
Are You Lonesome To-night? - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Words - Platinum (RCA)
Yesterday / Hey Jude - Writing For The King (FTD)
In The Ghetto - Elvis Aron Presley (RCA)
Suspicious Minds - Writing For The King (FTD)
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love - Writing For The King (FTD)


Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 pm

midnightx wrote:The "every set is the same...there are no surprises..." misguided rhetoric attached to 1969 concerts gets very old. From year to year, every tour and/or casino engagement had a set-list identity that Elvis rarely deviated from. Whether one is talking about 1969 or 1976, it won't be difficult to ascertain what is likely to be there. Elvis set a pinnacle for his live work in 1969 that he matched on occasion in 1970, and then as the years progressed, the level of overall quality continued to dip with the occasional resurgence (like March 1974 - which was still not even close to 1969 standards). There are no real surprises in these 1974 concerts - they are fine representations of the era. And they also don't come close to matching the level of Elvis' 1969 work. Additionally, the new 1969 release comes from a multitrack tape; the 1974 shows are soundboard sourced -- again, no comparison. The '70s fan-boys can try to diminish and degrade the 1969 concerts with their "every show is the same" routine, but the reality is that Elvis simply wasn't as good in '74. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Elvis' mid-'70s period, but there is no reason to make absurd assertions that somehow the mid-'70s should be elevated due to some misconceived notion that Elvis was full of variety and surprises, because that is not the case.


As usual, the stupid remarks like ''70s fan-boys'' isnt relevant here. What you dont seem to understand after all these years, that Vegas 1969 is on top when it becomes ''repetitive''. Almost every second of each show. Although they are quality concerts, we heard it before and know whats coming, unlike Sold Out (Tulsa). EP's health, good/not good, source (soundboard or multi-track) is also not relevant. Not for nothing Hot August Night doesnt sell very well against Sold Out.

How about ''My Boy''?


Are you deaf? What are the surprises during Vegas 1969?



We all know by now youre one of those ''before 1973''.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Winston wrote:A fantastic show that runs over 70min. (!!!) But no longer a highlight for me because I have to many concerts from this time and I have known what I become to hear.


You're joking, right?

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 pm

To me it was great to hear the recordings used on "In Person" now in its context and undoctored form - AND a better sound quality. The concert is simply fun! :D

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:47 pm

to me the August 1969 concerts are the best rockin' Elvis that ever was: any concert from this time is welcome !

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Although we have many set lists which are very alike..and a lot of repetition it is always a new experience for me.
What a great show... pure fun and sheer dynamite..he was THAT good...such things always remind me WHY I am
a fan of this artist...thank you Elvis !!

And thank YOU, Ernst for all these treasures..!!!! Rock on.!!

::rocks

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Although we have many set lists which are very alike..and a lot of repetition it is always a new experience for me.
What a great show... pure fun and sheer dynamite..he was THAT good...such things always remind me WHY I am
a fan of this artist...thank you Elvis !!

And thank YOU, Ernst for all these treasures..!!!! Rock on.!!

::rocks

Great post.

Love to hear another unreleased 1969 VEGAS show from FTD vaults.

Always nuanced slightly different...

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 pm

It's a cool show, for sure.

But our man repeats the same old jokes, and sometimes even sounds bored.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Sonny wrote:It's a cool show, for sure.

But our man repeats the same old jokes, and sometimes even sounds bored.


No..even the dialogue before Hound Dog..not tampered with....it`s just great and he had so much fun.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Nice comments, epf. I appreciate your "review."

I really am glad to have this concert. A great CD which takes a back seat to nothing! If we had everyone of 1969 shows recorded and available I would find a way to purchase them. Elvis at his best! No need for me to expound as others have said it way better than I. I have all of the 1969 official releases and each time I listen it is an enjoyable experience. I am never bored with Elvis in 1969. THANK YOU to the FTD team!

rlj

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 am

rlj4ep wrote:Nice comments, epf. I appreciate your "review."

I really am glad to have this concert. A great CD which takes a back seat to nothing! If we had everyone of 1969 shows recorded and available I would find a way to purchase them. Elvis at his best! No need for me to expound as others have said it way better than I. I have all of the 1969 official releases and each time I listen it is an enjoyable experience. I am never bored with Elvis in 1969. THANK YOU to the FTD team!

rlj


Indeed! More than a third of the show on Hot August Night was officially issued by RCA three months later (7 tracks), and listening to all of it now, in 2013, it could have been more:

Elvis Presley
Monday, August 25, 1969 MS
International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV


Blue Suede Shoes - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
I Got A Woman
All Shook Up - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Love Me Tender
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
I Can't Stop Loving You - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
My Babe - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Mystery Train / Tiger Man - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Monologue
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Runaway
Are You Lonesome To-night?
Words - From Memphis To Vegas (RCA)
Yesterday / Hey Jude
In The Ghetto - Writing For The King (FTD)
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love


The show has many highlights. Elvis hits all the notes, and with ease. "My Babe" has such a nice, hard edge. Presley hits this R&B classic with confidence and power, and the band is right there. How many Elvis songs in the later era may one say that about? Not many. His mid-set monologue is once again a fascinating, honest and revelatory experience. Elvis would never be so candid in public again.

"A lot has been written and said, but not from my side of the story."

"Then I went to, uh, the Steve Allen show. And, uh, they were going to tame me down. So they had me dressed in a tuxedo, and singing to a dog on a stool."

"So I was living it up pretty good, and then I got drafted. And shafted, and everything else, man. Uh, so just overnight, it was all gone, you know. I was in a different world."


"Runaway" is a light, free-flowing cover, a beautiful rendition where Larry Muhoberac's piano triplets vie with James' smooth guitar licks for top honors with the lead vocal. Presley must have always loved the Del Shannon hit. After closing out a graceful "In The Ghetto" he says "Thank you, Mac" to the cowriter of his #3 hit, Mac Davis. The extended introduction to "Suspicious Minds" is unexpected and pretty cool, and the tempo is more breakneck than a few weeks earlier. It reflects the nervous energy in the air, perhaps. It is also a KILLER version, running over 7 minutes, that brings down the house. Listen after he finishes a frenetic "What'd I Say" for a two-liner of "Polk Salad Annie," too. Can you imagine being there?

Beyond the incredible performances, superb sound quality and beautiful booklet, there are even more unique moments of interest.

In the introductions Elvis credits James Burton by saying "his name is Lightnin' Hopkins" ... which is so cool, because I have never heard him make a reference to that great, great bluesman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightnin'_Hopkins

He also gives singer and actress Nancy Sinatra an incredibly warm and generous introduction:

First of all, the, uh, young lady that opens here when I do. She's, uh, I just did a picture with her, and I don't know what to say about her, man, I really dig her. She's really fantastic, she's going to have a fantastic show here. I'd like you to say hello to Miss Nancy Sinatra, ladies and gentlemen. You out there, baby? You out there, sweetheart? Right there, aw, my girl, my girl! Love you.

Wow. No wonder Presley attended her opening show a few days later, and the one a year later at Caesar's Palace. He also praises tunesmith and future star Mac Davis, sitting in Nancy's booth, and thanks comedian Buddy Hackett for a letter he wrote to Elvis in Germany back in 1959 where Hackett said he was "taking care" of his girlfriend back home! Singer and buddy Tom Jones ("my good friend Thomas Jones") and actress Shelley Fabares ("one of the most lovely creatures I've ever met") also receive big hellos from Presley. No wonder his game was up, up, up during this evening's performance.

Elvis Presley firing all ALL cylinders. Every fan should have this CD.


P.S. It's also nice no one has bitched about the cover and booklet's track list numbering error. Bless you!

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 am

I would buy ALL of the FTD multi track recording of the entire 69 season, the winter 1970 season and the summer 1970 season. I have all that have been released, and will get this one probably this fall, when I order the GI Blues and Moody Blue FTDs.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:To me it was great to hear the recordings used on "In Person" now in its context and undoctored form - AND a better sound quality. The concert is simply fun! :D

Yes and where exactly did that screaming bit at the end of "I Can't Stop Loving You" come from on the "In Person" version ?

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 am

promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:To me it was great to hear the recordings used on "In Person" now in its context and undoctored form - AND a better sound quality. The concert is simply fun! :D

Yes and where exactly did that screaming bit at the end of "I Can't Stop Loving You" come from on the "In Person" version ?

Yeah, I wonder also. A friend of mine told me years back that it had been edited in and I was left in disbelief. Now I finally have the audio proof of it.
I think somebody else here can surely help us out in this matter.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:To me it was great to hear the recordings used on "In Person" now in its context and undoctored form - AND a better sound quality. The concert is simply fun! :D

Yes and where exactly did that screaming bit at the end of "I Can't Stop Loving You" come from on the "In Person" version ?

Yeah, I wonder also. A friend of mine told me years back that it had been edited in and I was left in disbelief. Now I finally have the audio proof of it.
I think somebody else here can surely help us out in this matter.

The only other place I heard it was on the original "Having Fun On Stage " LP years ago but that was just mostly a compile of different 69 stuff.
Maybe someone here may know what show it really originated from, and what/who was it actually.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:47 pm

promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:To me it was great to hear the recordings used on "In Person" now in its context and undoctored form - AND a better sound quality. The concert is simply fun! :D

Yes and where exactly did that screaming bit at the end of "I Can't Stop Loving You" come from on the "In Person" version ?

Yeah, I wonder also. A friend of mine told me years back that it had been edited in and I was left in disbelief. Now I finally have the audio proof of it.
I think somebody else here can surely help us out in this matter.

The only other place I heard it was on the original "Having Fun On Stage " LP years ago but that was just mostly a compile of different 69 stuff.
Maybe someone here may know what show it really originated from, and what/who was it actually.

Yeah, you're right. Completely forgot about that.

It might be possibly taken from one of the remaining (yet) unreleased shows from August 1969.