Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Wiith all (justified) attention for Sold Out! we would almost forget the wonderful Hot August Night. This is a wonderful album with Elvis in high gear, which means he giggles a fair bit, but not on a disturbing level.
The album opens with a nice version of Blue Suede Shoes and if you listen carefully you can hear the piano.
Well, now..... hmmmmmm...... aaaa shut up...... makes for a lovely introduction of i got a woman. No fooling around during the song, so we have a very good version of this song.

The next song is All Shook Up. A good version and Elvis welcomes the crowd to the show and the funky angels at the ceiling too.
A short talk about Gatorade follows and we know his meaning already.
Love Me Tender follows and too bad it is a kissing the female fans version. One of the weaker points of the show, though those who were present will think differently.

Again Elvis talks a bit before going into a medley of Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel. Too bad it is a medley. Most certainly they would work on their own merits.Though entertaining a minor letdown.
Out of the blue there is Heartbreak Hotel. A lovely bluesy version with both the piano and James Burton playing an important roll during this song. Just lovely.

The introduction for Hound Dog follows and Elvis has the giggles a fair bit, which makes it an entertaining listen. All of the sudden he starts to sing. A lot of power in his voice and a guitar solo from James Burton. Again the piano plays an important role. Fun, entertaining and overwhelming, such a performance.
I can't stop loving you follows. A good, solid version, with a lot of power in his voice. Just listen to the time has stood still
bit.

My Babe follows and it smokes. Right from the start this is a good version. A good song well performed. James Burton plays some beautiful licks.
The next song has a long introduction. Elvis is a bit hyper at times but it is entertaining. Mystery Train/Tiger Man Elvis could have been played on their own. The songs are strong and we know that he can perform both songs on their own. Nevertheless it is a good performance and the audience shows its appreciation.

Elvis start to talk about his life story and he has done more coherent versions. It is entertaining nevertheless. I am just not sure a life story should be entertaining. It he is not serious about himself, who would be serious about him? I think he never realized what power he had, artistically and socially. The poor mother......

The guitar is ready for Elvis to play Baby, what you want me to do. Listen to the piano. Larry Muhoberac plays such wonderful licks. Actually, i had wished the piano a bit higher in the mix.
Runaway is next and is executed wonderfully. The Sweet Inspirations do their bit very well. James Burton has the famous guitar solo and it is performed as it should be. A lovely version it sure is.

Are You Lonesome Tonight follows and it is a straight versiion. Cissy Houston can do her bit without Elvis falling apart. The spoken part also gets a serious reading. No giggling or jokes. A very good version. Some kissing follows and then Elvis declares Words. I love this song and most certainly Elvis' version. Another guitar solo from James Burton. And i just love the Sweets on this.

Next is a nod to the Beatles with a medley(!) of Yesterday and the end of Hey Jude. Elvis makes a joke during Yesterday and has to laught about it: the song is spoilt despite the fact that the remaining part of Yesterday is sung sincerely. A lot of kissing and such during Hey Jude spoils that part of the medley. Too bad, the potential was there for a great version as Elvis is in good voice and in form.

Nest up are the introductions. You have to listen for the joke he makes when introducing James Burton.
Also there are a few people in the audience who get introduced. You have to listen to it to enjoy it. Elvis is very sincere when he introducea the people in the audience. I am not going to spoil who are there, you just have listen to it.

In the ghetto is next and it is a good version despite the snort in the beginning. All of the the sudden i hear violins next to the trompets and piano. The Sweers deliver as well.The song builds slowly towards the end. ohooooooo.
A longer introduction than usual for Suspicious Minds. Strong vocals from Elvis and The Sweets. The Trompet Section adds another layer of suspense on the song.We are caught in a trap...... And listen to the audience whistling during the performance... it must have been something special. A dynamic and long version satisfies the crowd. If only i could have witnessed this.... Just great. A nice round of applause follows. Deservedly so.

And there is more: a frantic version of What'd I say. Again a solo for James Burtion during the break. It is a good version with the btrumpet section adding their part.
And with this the show ends: Can't help falling in love. A lot of kissing and yet sometimes a serious vocal. Take my hand. take my whole live too......

This was not meant as a review but i wanted to draw some attention to this release because it has Elvis in top form. The songs that matter are done accordingly, with the sad exception of the Beatles medley.
Nevertheless. it is a great show and you just have to buy it. Elvis in 1969!

SOLD OUT! received a lot of attention and deservingly so. But Hot August Night is a brilliant show,so it deserves a lot of attention too.That was the intent of this post. I hope you like and more importantly, I hope you enjoy the show.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm

epf wrote:I hope you enjoy the show.

I've never heard a show from 1969 that I didn't enjoy.

That goes for this one as well.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Rob wrote:
epf wrote:I hope you enjoy the show.

I've never heard a show from 1969 that I didn't enjoy.

That goes for this one as well.


Yep. I totally agree. I love 1969 Elvis. The shows had a very high level and very few false starts. The king was focused.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 am

Love the show - great comments EPF

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 am

A great CD for sure!

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 am

Thanks for the review. Since 7 of these tracks are already on the great FTD In Person CD, I feel that I already know this CD before I buy it. (but I AM going to buy it).

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 am

skatterbrane wrote:Thanks for the review. Since 7 of these tracks are already on the great FTD In Person CD, I feel that I already know this CD before I buy it. (but I AM going to buy it).


True. But to hear everything in context will make it an even better release. This is a killer show. Elvis maintained a very high level this season. And the extra fun is for example the introductions of guests who are in the audience.

And Suspicious Minds has a longer intro. This show just rocks.

My remarks were not meant as a review as such, i just tried to describe the contents on this cd, since i felt this great Must Have release was not getting as much attention as for example Sold Out! And while that is a very good release, this one is just even better:Elvis in 1969!
Last edited by epf on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 am

paulsweeney wrote:A great CD for sure!


Yes, i am loving it a lot. This one will be played a lot.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:Love the show - great comments EPF


Thank you! A Mess of Polk Salad. (I can hear the drums while writing your name.)

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 am

Rob wrote:
epf wrote:I hope you enjoy the show.

I've never heard a show from 1969 that I didn't enjoy.

That goes for this one as well.


1969 our man was in fine shape, motivated. It shows. The shows i have aee high level. This one is not different.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Isn't everybody awake yet by now? ;)

Serious, though... ELVIS, live, multitrack recordings, 1969, tapes mixed are great, show is great. Is it really true that 1974 soundboards (with all due respect, i did buy SOLD OUT! myself too) wins over a 1969 Elvis live show? I would not have thought that possible.

Or am i jumping to conclusions here and is everybody still with their thoughts and ears by the double SOLD OUT! only to re-awaken when they put up a Hot August Night. That must be it, right?

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 pm

As much as I enjoy the Sold Out release, it's almost like comparing Elvis' 50's recordings to the 60's soundtracks. Elvis '69 and Elvis '74 are almost equal. Hot August Night only confirms what we already know about that Vegas season. Only that today the sound and mixing efforts makes this yet another standout release on its's own. Not least that for the first time we get the Complete concert!
I don't like to compare Elvis' variety as an artist. I simply enjoy them all in their own way! :D

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:56 pm

bajo wrote:As much as I enjoy the Sold Out release, it's almost like comparing Elvis' 50's recordings to the 60's soundtracks. Elvis '69 and Elvis '74 are almost equal. Hot August Night only confirms what we already know about that Vegas season. Only that today the sound and mixing efforts makes this yet another standout release on its's own. Not least that for the first time we get the Complete concert!
I don't like to compare Elvis' variety as an artist. I simply enjoy them all in their own way! :D

Spot on. SOLD OUT is a fantastic 1974 concert...

HOT AUGUST NIGHT is a fantastic 1969 concert...

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Obviously, by now, all the jokes about Gatoraid, sniffling on mike, woolyboogers, etc, as well the Life Story have become somewhat redundant. However, when one jumps to the music, one would be hard pressed to find better kick-ass rock & roll. Elvis set those Vegas nights on fire in '69 and it's such a thrill to be able to listen to him doing so.

(It's unfortunate that «What'd I Say» is slightly marred by a miscommunication between Elvis and the band when he decides to add an extra chorus of «tell me what'd I say» while the band goes into the «ooh! aah!» break.)
Last edited by Mister Mike on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Obviously, by now, all the jokes about Gatoraid, sniffling on mike, woolyboogers, etc, as well the Life Story have become somewhat redundant. However, when one jumps to the music, one would be hard pressed to find better kiss-ass rock & roll. Elvis set those Vegas nights on fire in '69 and it's such a thrill to be able to listen to him doing so.

(It's unfortunate that «What'd I Say» is slightly marred by a miscommunication between Elvis and the band when he decides to add an extra chorus of «tell me what'd I say» while the band goes into the «ooh! aah!» break.)

It sure is kick-ass!!

Noticed that on "What I'd say" - but a great version nonetheless.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 pm

epf wrote:Isn't everybody awake yet by now? ;)

Serious, though... ELVIS, live, multitrack recordings, 1969, tapes mixed are great, show is great. Is it really true that 1974 soundboards (with all due respect, i did buy SOLD OUT! myself too) wins over a 1969 Elvis live show? I would not have thought that possible.

Or am i jumping to conclusions here and is everybody still with their thoughts and ears by the double SOLD OUT! only to re-awaken when they put up a Hot August Night. That must be it, right?


For one, everyone is free to express what year, etc. they enjoy more than another. Second, is this some kind of competition between Sold Out and Hot August Night?

For me Sold Out wins over Hot August. Hot August is exactly the same as all the others from the same season. Tulsa however, is more surprising in a superb soundquality.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 pm

nevermind wrote:
epf wrote:Isn't everybody awake yet by now? ;)

Serious, though... ELVIS, live, multitrack recordings, 1969, tapes mixed are great, show is great. Is it really true that 1974 soundboards (with all due respect, i did buy SOLD OUT! myself too) wins over a 1969 Elvis live show? I would not have thought that possible.

Or am i jumping to conclusions here and is everybody still with their thoughts and ears by the double SOLD OUT! only to re-awaken when they put up a Hot August Night. That must be it, right?


For one, everyone is free to express what year, etc. they enjoy more than another. Second, is this some kind of competition between Sold Out and Hot August Night?

For me Sold Out wins over Hot August. Hot August is exactly the same as all the others from the same season. Tulsa however, is more surprising in a superb soundquality.


I guess some of your words are directed to me. If not then forgive me.

No, ofcourse this is not a competition or one release should be better than another. What surprised me though was that this edition of Las Vegas 1969 got little attention in comparison to the great SOLD OUT! release.
Like somebody else said in this thread: SOLD OUT is a great 1974 concert, HOT AUGUST NIGHT is a great 1969 concert.

You like the 1974 edition better and that is fine with me. That was never the intent of my original post. My intent was to create some attention for this great rocking show that Hot August Night is. SOLD OUT! already got a lot of attention so i just decided to shine some light on Hot August Night.

Just to let you know, i also got SOLD OUT! and i am enjoying it. Maybe now you see better the purpose of my writing.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Mister Mike wrote:kiss-ass rock & roll.

Quit it.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:01 am

epf wrote:
nevermind wrote:
epf wrote:Isn't everybody awake yet by now? ;)

Serious, though... ELVIS, live, multitrack recordings, 1969, tapes mixed are great, show is great. Is it really true that 1974 soundboards (with all due respect, i did buy SOLD OUT! myself too) wins over a 1969 Elvis live show? I would not have thought that possible.

Or am i jumping to conclusions here and is everybody still with their thoughts and ears by the double SOLD OUT! only to re-awaken when they put up a Hot August Night. That must be it, right?


For one, everyone is free to express what year, etc. they enjoy more than another. Second, is this some kind of competition between Sold Out and Hot August Night?

For me Sold Out wins over Hot August. Hot August is exactly the same as all the others from the same season. Tulsa however, is more surprising in a superb soundquality.


I guess some of your words are directed to me. If not then forgive me.

No, ofcourse this is not a competition or one release should be better than another. What surprised me though was that this edition of Las Vegas 1969 got little attention in comparison to the great SOLD OUT! release.
Like somebody else said in this thread: SOLD OUT is a great 1974 concert, HOT AUGUST NIGHT is a great 1969 concert.

You like the 1974 edition better and that is fine with me. That was never the intent of my original post. My intent was to create some attention for this great rocking show that Hot August Night is. SOLD OUT! already got a lot of attention so i just decided to shine some light on Hot August Night.

Just to let you know, i also got SOLD OUT! and i am enjoying it. Maybe now you see better the purpose of my writing.


Don't apologize. Its no surprise Hot August gets less attention than Sold Out. Two complete new ones against a partial new one, wich is yet another straight copy from whatever date of the same August in 1969. Also, i think no one expect Tulsa would have such a superb soundquality, as the past has proven, most of the soundboard recordings are flat and dry.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 am

Rob wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:kiss-ass rock & roll.

Quit it.

Whoops! :oops: Edited.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 am

The "every set is the same...there are no surprises..." misguided rhetoric attached to 1969 concerts gets very old. From year to year, every tour and/or casino engagement had a set-list identity that Elvis rarely deviated from. Whether one is talking about 1969 or 1976, it won't be difficult to ascertain what is likely to be there. Elvis set a pinnacle for his live work in 1969 that he matched on occasion in 1970, and then as the years progressed, the level of overall quality continued to dip with the occasional resurgence (like March 1974 - which was still not even close to 1969 standards). There are no real surprises in these 1974 concerts - they are fine representations of the era. And they also don't come close to matching the level of Elvis' 1969 work. Additionally, the new 1969 release comes from a multitrack tape; the 1974 shows are soundboard sourced -- again, no comparison. The '70s fan-boys can try to diminish and degrade the 1969 concerts with their "every show is the same" routine, but the reality is that Elvis simply wasn't as good in '74. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Elvis' mid-'70s period, but there is no reason to make absurd assertions that somehow the mid-'70s should be elevated due to some misconceived notion that Elvis was full of variety and surprises, because that is not the case.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:15 am

midnightx wrote:The "every set is the same...there are no surprises..." misguided rhetoric attached to 1969 concerts gets very old. From year to year, every tour and/or casino engagement had a set-list identity that Elvis rarely deviated from. Whether one is talking about 1969 or 1976, it won't be difficult to ascertain what is likely to be there. Elvis set a pinnacle for his live work in 1969 that he matched on occasion in 1970, and then as the years progressed, the level of overall quality continued to dip with the occasional resurgence (like March 1974 - which was still not even close to 1969 standards). There are no real surprises in these 1974 concerts - they are fine representations of the era. And they also don't come close to matching the level of Elvis' 1969 work. Additionally, the new 1969 release comes from a multitrack tape; the 1974 shows are soundboard sourced -- again, no comparison. The '70s fan-boys can try to diminish and degrade the 1969 concerts with their "every show is the same" routine, but the reality is that Elvis simply wasn't as good in '74. Nothing wrong with being a fan of Elvis' mid-'70s period, but there is no reason to make absurd assertions that somehow the mid-'70s should be elevated due to some misconceived notion that Elvis was full of variety and surprises, because that is not the case.


Much of the "problem" here (and I use the term loosely) is that the 69 shows are predictable in ways other than their track listing. We know they are going to find Elvis in excellent form, we know what the jokes are going to be, etc. My guess is that, in other seasons and tours, those things are not set in stone. Elvis isn't always on fire or on good form, so there is an unpredictability there. There are occasional one-liners, occasional changes to phrasing etc. That's generally not there in 1969, with Elvis very much sticking to the same vocal performance each and every time.

That's not putting down the 1969 shows, and no-one is degrading the 1969 shows as you suggest; that is simply misrepresenting what people are saying. What people are saying is that, for all their excellence, the 1969 season is the most predictable of all seasons and tours. We now have a significant number of shows from the same season, with mostly the same songs, sung in exactly the same way, with mostly the same dialogue, and with the same quality of performance from night to night. There comes a time when people understandably start asking themselves how many such concerts they actually need - and even if they would realise which one they were listening to if they were hearing them blind, so to speak.

It only makes sense that people would prefer at this stage, with a large number of 69 shows out there, to hear something that is less well represented. I feel the same way about the idea of complete sessions appearing on CDs. I'd much rather hear one outtake from 25 songs, than 25 outtakes from the same song. While I don't see the excitement over the March 74 concert (again, this season is well-represented), I can see why many would be more interested in the June 74 show (and we don't have much in good sound from that season) rather than yet another 1969 show. That's not degrading the 1969 shows, it's simply people realising that they prefer variety of shows over predictability.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:34 am

nevermind wrote:
epf wrote:
nevermind wrote:
epf wrote:Isn't everybody awake yet by now? ;)

Serious, though... ELVIS, live, multitrack recordings, 1969, tapes mixed are great, show is great. Is it really true that 1974 soundboards (with all due respect, i did buy SOLD OUT! myself too) wins over a 1969 Elvis live show? I would not have thought that possible.

Or am i jumping to conclusions here and is everybody still with their thoughts and ears by the double SOLD OUT! only to re-awaken when they put up a Hot August Night. That must be it, right?


For one, everyone is free to express what year, etc. they enjoy more than another. Second, is this some kind of competition between Sold Out and Hot August Night?

For me Sold Out wins over Hot August. Hot August is exactly the same as all the others from the same season. Tulsa however, is more surprising in a superb soundquality.


I guess some of your words are directed to me. If not then forgive me.

No, ofcourse this is not a competition or one release should be better than another. What surprised me though was that this edition of Las Vegas 1969 got little attention in comparison to the great SOLD OUT! release.
Like somebody else said in this thread: SOLD OUT is a great 1974 concert, HOT AUGUST NIGHT is a great 1969 concert.

You like the 1974 edition better and that is fine with me. That was never the intent of my original post. My intent was to create some attention for this great rocking show that Hot August Night is. SOLD OUT! already got a lot of attention so i just decided to shine some light on Hot August Night.

Just to let you know, i also got SOLD OUT! and i am enjoying it. Maybe now you see better the purpose of my writing.


Don't apologize. Its no surprise Hot August gets less attention than Sold Out. Two complete new ones against a partial new one, wich is yet another straight copy from whatever date of the same August in 1969. Also, i think no one expect Tulsa would have such a superb soundquality, as the past has proven, most of the soundboard recordings are flat and dry.


I am not apologizing. In the OP i already stated that the attention for SOLD OUT! is justified. I just think that similar interest for this 1969 edition would be justified as well. A high level of performance, the giggling is limited to a minimum and Elvis was already picking up on Polk Salad Annie.

FTD should have the opportunity to release the remaining 1969 shows. The level of performance is unanimously high. One can think about the form in which the remaining shows are released. A box set? Regular editions? Twofers? Whatever the case, i am sure there are enough fans interested in 1969 shows, so much as to buy them.

And again, and i am not apologizing, that goes also for shows of interest of 1974 for instance. I should know. I purchased SOLD OUT! as well and i am glad i did.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:16 am

poormadpeter wrote:That's not putting down the 1969 shows, and no-one is degrading the 1969 shows as you suggest; that is simply misrepresenting what people are saying.

Then you haven't been paying close attention for the past decade.

Re: Hot August Night FTD Edition is GREAT!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 am

My faults with the 1969 engagement is that the setlists are not very interesting. Setlists in 1970, 1971, 1972 were way better. There is too much joking around in the 1969 shows including the same jokes over and over. There was less of that in the next couple years. Even when he is telling his life story he jokes all the way through it. Way too much joking. In 1970, 1971, 1972 he sang songs that showcased what a great singer he was. . Didn't really do that in the 1969 shows. You cant complain about Elvis energy level in the 69 shows but otherwise there are plenty of shows, engagements and tours that I like better then the 1969 shows.