Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rich_TCB
Registered for: 21 years

Re: FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Post by Rich_TCB »

Indeed.

I'm in agreement with many here - that Tulsa show just kicks ass.

"Help Me" stands out to me, as it's the closest to the studio master of any live performance I've ever heard.

Also, the band did not rush the tempo on many songs as much on this night, as they would as the tour continued on.

Add a committed Elvis to the mix, and all of these ingredients makes for a very enjoyable concert experience.

ImageImageImage

steevefry
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by steevefry »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie Jan
Banned - Multiple User Names
Banned - Multiple User Names
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Aussie Jan »

steevefry wrote:.
I am buying this one.
I never got the fortyeight hours one.
This is wonderfull value with two concerts at the same price.
Great expanded FECC type review here today on EIN. http://www.elvisinfonet.com

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes EIN review rate it as 10/10 quality release HIGHEST Praise indeed~ :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

thermoking
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by thermoking »

I am very impressed with the artwork and liner notes.
the liner notes bring me back in 1974, which was a forgotten year for me. Now I have a different view about that year
what I like is the comparison between the 70's and 50's and comparing him to other great acts in 1974.

Topic author
a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

thermoking wrote:I am very impressed with the artwork and liner notes.
the liner notes bring me back in 1974, which was a forgotten year for me. Now I have a different view about that year
what I like is the comparison between the 70's and 50's and comparing him to other great acts in 1974.
Great release. I think many music fans who are not familar with Elvis in the 1970s would be amazed at the touring juggernaut that was the Elvis Presley show...
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

YDKM wrote:Yes EIN review rate it as 10/10 quality release HIGHEST Praise indeed~ :D
It`s the best ..for sure..besides the 1969 Vegas shows.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Another observation on the Tusla show, is that it reminds alot of the Houston show 2 days later.

Not because its from the same tour, but because the orchestra is far back in the mix.

I realize there was no orchestra in Houston, but the first part of the Tulsa show almost sounds like

there isn't an orchestra like Houston.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards. You guys can tell me if I'm wrong. I am no expert on these things. Both fun to listen to so I have not decided which I prefer. Great to have Big Boss Man in great sound. Wondering if they have more new reel to reel from other tours, or years. These guys know how to get the best out of these tapes so I hope there is more to come from earlier shows.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

L Ray wrote:Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards.
Unless I am mistaken, a reel-to-reel connected to the soundboard provides a slightly higher quality recording than a cassette connected to a soundboard. But they are both "soundboards."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
L Ray wrote:Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards.
Unless I am mistaken, a reel-to-reel connected to the soundboard provides a slightly higher quality recording than a cassette connected to a soundboard. But they are both "soundboards."

okay, good explanation. thanks. They do sound good. Hope they found some more.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Did anyone notice the title reference to the back cover of the LP, "Having fun with Elvis on stage"?

Look at the near exact replication of the LP to the inside portion of the FTD set.

When everyone was guessing which year the soundboards were going to be for "Sold out!" I guessed 1974 because of this clue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

I listened to the Tulsa show again this morning and I was pumped !

Elvis and the TCB band, tight, and they rocked all nite !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by nyelvfan »

I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

nyelvfan wrote:I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...
The volume is low for this recording. I noticed it right off.

drjohncarpenter

nyelvfan wrote:I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...
This is because the engineers are no longer a part of the "loudness war" and I am thankful.

Loudness War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I want to acknowledge the mastering by Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet.

As a new member of the FTD team, I have been pleased with his work so far.

ImageImageImage

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
This is because the engineers are no longer a part of the "loudness war" and I am thankful.

Loudness War
Nice thought but not true.

If true both CD's would have been about the same but the Cleveland show has more volume.
And I think it's because the Tulsa show was recorded at a lower recording level to begin with.

There is more tape noise or hiss on the Tulsa show. The Cleveland show recording is clearer.

Loudness war----in this case they shouldn't have had to go in the complete opposite direction.

And I agree you don't want the recording too loud, but at the same time you don't want it too quiet.

With anything involved with mastering you want that perfect medium.

FACT: it's a little too low

drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Loudness War

If true both CD's would have been about the same but the Cleveland show has more volume.
And I think it's because the Tulsa show was recorded at a lower recording level to begin with.

There is more tape noise or hiss on the Tulsa show. The Cleveland show recording is clearer.

Loudness war----in this case they shouldn't have had to go in the complete opposite direction.

And I agree you don't want the recording too loud, but at the same time you don't want it too quiet.

Clearly, the FTD mastering engineers need your expertise.

Can you please submit a résumé to Ernst ASAP?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Loudness War

Clearly, the FTD mastering engineers need your expertise.

Can you please submit a résumé to Ernst ASAP?

I am not saying they didn't do the best they could, but it is too quiet.

Like I said, it was probably recorded too low, and that is part of the original tape.

It's a good show and that's what counts.

And if I am wrong when saying, "you want that perfect medium" then what is the right answer?

Are you saying you don't a perfect medium? I thought we all did.

nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by nyelvfan »

Thanks for the responses DJC and Ekenee! Let's not fight here...we can all agree this is a good sounding CD with a very good performance on it! I feel that there's an energy to this show that is sililar to some of his shows from 1972...which is a good thing. My complaint about the sound was only a very minor one and it doesn't take away from this CD's overall quality. Just like the bass and especially drums being too low in the mix on the new Hot August Night FTD doesn't take away from the overall high quality of sound and especially show.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

nyelvfan wrote:Thanks for the responses DJC and Ekenee! Let's not fight here...we can all agree this is a good sounding CD with a very good performance on it! I feel that there's an energy to this show that is sililar to some of his shows from 1972...which is a good thing. My complaint about the sound was only a very minor one and it doesn't take away from this CD's overall quality. Just like the bass and especially drums being too low in the mix on the new Hot August Night FTD doesn't take away from the overall high quality of sound and especially show.
I agree.

It is a very minor issue but it's there.

I don't think it couldv'e been fixed anyway since it is a sound baord.

but a multi-track like the 1969 recording, that has to do with the way they mixed the tape. That is changable.

But like you said, overall it is of high quality. I think the show is the most important thing as well.

I can like a show recorded from the audience if Elvis is committed.

chesay7
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by chesay7 »

It's a strange thing but nearly all Elvis cd's both FTD or Sony are mastered at a lower volume than those by most other artists. I always have to turn my amplifier up significantly more when I listen to an Elvis cd. I have no idea why this is.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

chesay7 wrote:It's a strange thing but nearly all Elvis cd's both FTD or Sony are mastered at a lower volume than those by most other artists. I always have to turn my amplifier up significantly more when I listen to an Elvis cd. I have no idea why this is.
Are you serious??? :shock:

Thank god they didn't seem to join the loudness race/war. Careful and proper mastering is the best way to enjoy our man's music. :wink:

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

For me all three sound great. Hot August Night is the clear winner for best show. Hard to pick between the other two but right now I lean towards Cleveland. Yesterday I listened to 3000 SPR. I feel like that is still a new one also, but I bought it last year. I like the 74 shows better. I feel that Elvis is putting more into these 74 shows than the 72 Vegas show. All have great sound. Great work FTD. Happy to have all of the above.