Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 am

YDKM wrote:Agree with your comments regarding '48 hours' JEFF'D.... :D

Thanks man!

...regarding the Richmond show, I just now played "Guaranteed..." again for comparison. I still prefer this cd over "48 Hours to Memphis" FTD. Somehow it just sounds less echoy to me. Regardless its a great show and we are lucky to have it after all these years!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I am now a proud owner of Sold Out. Right now I am listening to Cleveland. I decided to go for this one first because many of you have said that this is the lesser, sound wise, but wow it sounds great. I do like the extra bit of bass. No reason for me to tone it down. I will leave more comments later. So far I'm thinking the guys that are now working on these things, picking the shows and working on the sound quality, know what they are doing.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:39 am

I prefer the cleveland show, but both shows he is focused and doing his thing.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 am

EX version of J.B.Goode at the Tulsa show!~ 8)

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Indeed.

I'm in agreement with many here - that Tulsa show just kicks ass.

"Help Me" stands out to me, as it's the closest to the studio master of any live performance I've ever heard.

Also, the band did not rush the tempo on many songs as much on this night, as they would as the tour continued on.

Add a committed Elvis to the mix, and all of these ingredients makes for a very enjoyable concert experience.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:32 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 am

steevefry wrote:.

I am buying this one.
I never got the fortyeight hours one.
This is wonderfull value with two concerts at the same price.
Great expanded FECC type review here today on EIN. http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:58 am

Yes EIN review rate it as 10/10 quality release HIGHEST Praise indeed~ :D

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm

I am very impressed with the artwork and liner notes.
the liner notes bring me back in 1974, which was a forgotten year for me. Now I have a different view about that year
what I like is the comparison between the 70's and 50's and comparing him to other great acts in 1974.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

thermoking wrote:I am very impressed with the artwork and liner notes.
the liner notes bring me back in 1974, which was a forgotten year for me. Now I have a different view about that year
what I like is the comparison between the 70's and 50's and comparing him to other great acts in 1974.

Great release. I think many music fans who are not familar with Elvis in the 1970s would be amazed at the touring juggernaut that was the Elvis Presley show...
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 pm

YDKM wrote:Yes EIN review rate it as 10/10 quality release HIGHEST Praise indeed~ :D

It`s the best ..for sure..besides the 1969 Vegas shows.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Another observation on the Tusla show, is that it reminds alot of the Houston show 2 days later.

Not because its from the same tour, but because the orchestra is far back in the mix.

I realize there was no orchestra in Houston, but the first part of the Tulsa show almost sounds like

there isn't an orchestra like Houston.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 am

Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards. You guys can tell me if I'm wrong. I am no expert on these things. Both fun to listen to so I have not decided which I prefer. Great to have Big Boss Man in great sound. Wondering if they have more new reel to reel from other tours, or years. These guys know how to get the best out of these tapes so I hope there is more to come from earlier shows.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 am

L Ray wrote:Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards.

Unless I am mistaken, a reel-to-reel connected to the soundboard provides a slightly higher quality recording than a cassette connected to a soundboard. But they are both "soundboards."

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
L Ray wrote:Okay it helps to know that these are both from reel to reel tapes. Hard to decide which one is best. Nice to hear the audience. On many soundboards you don't hear them as well. I suppose that is one difference between reel to reel and soundboards.

Unless I am mistaken, a reel-to-reel connected to the soundboard provides a slightly higher quality recording than a cassette connected to a soundboard. But they are both "soundboards."

okay, good explanation. thanks. They do sound good. Hope they found some more.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 am

Did anyone notice the title reference to the back cover of the LP, "Having fun with Elvis on stage"?

Look at the near exact replication of the LP to the inside portion of the FTD set.

When everyone was guessing which year the soundboards were going to be for "Sold out!" I guessed 1974 because of this clue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 am

I listened to the Tulsa show again this morning and I was pumped !

Elvis and the TCB band, tight, and they rocked all nite !!!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:03 pm

I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:05 pm

nyelvfan wrote:I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...

The volume is low for this recording. I noticed it right off.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm

nyelvfan wrote:I love this CD! But is it just me or as good as the sound is on the Tulsa show, it seems kinda low in volume. I find myself having to turn the volume up a little...

This is because the engineers are no longer a part of the "loudness war" and I am thankful.

Loudness War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:44 pm

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I want to acknowledge the mastering by Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet.

As a new member of the FTD team, I have been pleased with his work so far.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This is because the engineers are no longer a part of the "loudness war" and I am thankful.

Loudness War

Nice thought but not true.

If true both CD's would have been about the same but the Cleveland show has more volume.
And I think it's because the Tulsa show was recorded at a lower recording level to begin with.

There is more tape noise or hiss on the Tulsa show. The Cleveland show recording is clearer.

Loudness war----in this case they shouldn't have had to go in the complete opposite direction.

And I agree you don't want the recording too loud, but at the same time you don't want it too quiet.

With anything involved with mastering you want that perfect medium.

FACT: it's a little too low

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:20 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Loudness War

If true both CD's would have been about the same but the Cleveland show has more volume.
And I think it's because the Tulsa show was recorded at a lower recording level to begin with.

There is more tape noise or hiss on the Tulsa show. The Cleveland show recording is clearer.

Loudness war----in this case they shouldn't have had to go in the complete opposite direction.

And I agree you don't want the recording too loud, but at the same time you don't want it too quiet.

Clearly, the FTD mastering engineers need your expertise.

Can you please submit a résumé to Ernst ASAP?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Loudness War

Clearly, the FTD mastering engineers need your expertise.

Can you please submit a résumé to Ernst ASAP?

I am not saying they didn't do the best they could, but it is too quiet.

Like I said, it was probably recorded too low, and that is part of the original tape.

It's a good show and that's what counts.

And if I am wrong when saying, "you want that perfect medium" then what is the right answer?

Are you saying you don't a perfect medium? I thought we all did.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for the responses DJC and Ekenee! Let's not fight here...we can all agree this is a good sounding CD with a very good performance on it! I feel that there's an energy to this show that is sililar to some of his shows from 1972...which is a good thing. My complaint about the sound was only a very minor one and it doesn't take away from this CD's overall quality. Just like the bass and especially drums being too low in the mix on the new Hot August Night FTD doesn't take away from the overall high quality of sound and especially show.