Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:44 am

rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:As someone who attended all of the Elvis shows at the Spectrum in Philly during the 1970's, I would second that motion. ESPECIALLY the show from 1971!

Did you notice the drummer that night in 1971 was not Ronnie Tutt?

Hey DOC, yes, I did notice that at 71 Philly show Jerome was filling in for Ronnie. If I recall correctly, that was the only show on that tour that Ronnie Tutt was missing. Jerome did a wonderful job that night, I thought. During Polk Salad Annie, Johnny B. Goode, Hound Dog, One Night, Suspicious Minds, for example, where Elvis was especially animated, the drumming was keeping right up with Elvis. That 1971 Elvis show remains the best concert I ever attended by any artist. While I enjoyed all of the Elvis shows I was fortunate enough to attend, the 1971 show stands alone as the best!

rlj

I wish I could have seen it with you!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm currently running through FTD's Elvis Presley: Sold Out!

First up, the 1974 tour opener at the ORU Maybee Center in Tulsa on Friday, March 1, and I am really impressed. Elvis is, for the most part, in a very sharp, clear voice. He is a man dedicated to his craft, and whenever he was all in, so was the band. For example, "Tryin' to Get to You" is a vintage '50s classic given a great deal of love early in the evening, much to the delight of the first-generation fans in attendance.

As noted, Kris Kristofferson's "Why Me (Lord)" is done straight, and undoubtedly the presence of Oral Roberts might have been a big reason why. It's a lot better this way. "Suspicious Minds" is flying at high tempo, but there are no "shove it up your nose" or "not much" jokes from Presley. It's also a lot better this way.

Given that there had been a three-week break since the 2-09-1974 CS at the Hilton in Las Vegas, there must have been some very good tour rehearsals at RCA Hollywood at the end of February. "Johnny B. Goode" sports a nice duet on the choruses with Charlie Hodge. "Help Me" features vocal group Voice backing the singer, and rather than being repugnant it's focused and engaged. "Thank you, Sherrill," Elvis says after it's done.

"An American Trilogy" is well done, with everyone serving the song as it should be served. A soon-to-be staple like "Let Me Be There," is delivered at a non-rushed tempo, how stunning! The band is far from sloppy, and even Duke Bardwell's bass, to be much maligned in the coming year, is quite fine. On "Fever" Duke even does a cocky little flourish at the end!

Elvis gives a shout out to Oral Roberts and his family at the close, dedicating "Can't Help Falling In Love" to them. We even get a bit of Al Dvorin's souvenir announcement after the closing vamp. Bravo, FTD.

The cover art and booklet clearly had a great deal of work invested in them, and they are a big drink on their own. There are a number of color photos from this tour new to my eyes that really add to the experience. This is what a collector's label is all about. A tip of the cap to Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos for their latest wonderful effort for Follow That Dream, and of course Ernst and Roger as well.

I'll check in again after I read the booklet through, and dig into the show in Cleveland.

"Good evening, my name is Alvin Paisley."

And so begins the Cleveland performance on this cool FTD set.

The nearly four months and 59 shows in-between the two shows we have here is telling. Elvis is far more in cruise control. His voice wavers on the notes from time-to-time throughout the show, which indicates the singer is overworked, unfocused, or both. "Tryin' to Get to You" is done with a bit of flair, and the first lively rendition of the night. The rest of his '50s rundown is rushed and perfunctory. He just throws them away, one after the other, at warp speed, and the crowd loves it. In fact, the Ohio fans are simply wild, period, although the tape only captures a bit of the frenzy.

Elvis tries harder on songs like "I Can't Stop Loving You" and a well-paced "Help Me" -- which is, like in Tulsa, quite good. The work on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is very nice as well. But bravado, not artistry, rules the day, as it would in most of the shows he would give across the next three years. It's just so much more prominent by comparison with the sharp March 1 gig found on CD 1. Did management ever once consider letting the man do less shows? Obviously not when there is hay to make while the sun shines!! It's just so sad.

Listen out for a neat two-liner of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" before Presley lights up "Funny How Time Slips Away." And the producers throw in another one-liner as a bonus track, "Turn Around, Look At Me" from an otherwise-unreleased soundboard tape made in Baton Rouge, LA on June 17. It a nice touch to a VERY thoughtful, carefully-designed FTD release, and perhaps meant to close out the somewhat disappointing June 21 performance on CD 2 with a smile.

Once again a tip of the cap to the fellows who previously worked on the lovely Forty Eight Hours To Memphis collectors release about a year ago, Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for the review, Doc. Excellent as always.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 am

well i reckon i enjoyed the Cleveland show a LOT ..it lasts longer about 60 minutes compared to Tulsa 52 and i really enjoyed it...even finding Elvis in stronger voice than Tulsa!~ :D

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm currently running through FTD's Elvis Presley: Sold Out!

First up, the 1974 tour opener at the ORU Maybee Center in Tulsa on Friday, March 1, and I am really impressed. Elvis is, for the most part, in a very sharp, clear voice. He is a man dedicated to his craft, and whenever he was all in, so was the band. For example, "Tryin' to Get to You" is a vintage '50s classic given a great deal of love early in the evening, much to the delight of the first-generation fans in attendance.

As noted, Kris Kristofferson's "Why Me (Lord)" is done straight, and undoubtedly the presence of Oral Roberts might have been a big reason why. It's a lot better this way. "Suspicious Minds" is flying at high tempo, but there are no "shove it up your nose" or "not much" jokes from Presley. It's also a lot better this way.

Given that there had been a three-week break since the 2-09-1974 CS at the Hilton in Las Vegas, there must have been some very good tour rehearsals at RCA Hollywood at the end of February. "Johnny B. Goode" sports a nice duet on the choruses with Charlie Hodge. "Help Me" features vocal group Voice backing the singer, and rather than being repugnant it's focused and engaged. "Thank you, Sherrill," Elvis says after it's done.

"An American Trilogy" is well done, with everyone serving the song as it should be served. A soon-to-be staple like "Let Me Be There," is delivered at a non-rushed tempo, how stunning! The band is far from sloppy, and even Duke Bardwell's bass, to be much maligned in the coming year, is quite fine. On "Fever" Duke even does a cocky little flourish at the end!

Elvis gives a shout out to Oral Roberts and his family at the close, dedicating "Can't Help Falling In Love" to them. We even get a bit of Al Dvorin's souvenir announcement after the closing vamp. Bravo, FTD.

The cover art and booklet clearly had a great deal of work invested in them, and they are a big drink on their own. There are a number of color photos from this tour new to my eyes that really add to the experience. This is what a collector's label is all about. A tip of the cap to Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos for their latest wonderful effort for Follow That Dream, and of course Ernst and Roger as well.

I'll check in again after I read the booklet through, and dig into the show in Cleveland.

The nearly four months and 59 shows in-between the two shows we have here is telling. Elvis is far more in cruise control. His voice wavers on the notes from time-to-time throughout the show, which indicates the singer is overworked, unfocused, or both. "Tryin' to Get to You" is done with a bit of flair, and the first lively rendition of the night. The rest of his '50s rundown is rushed and perfunctory. He just throws them away, one after the other, at warp speed, and the crowd loves it. In fact, the Ohio fans are simply wild, period, although the tape only captures a bit of the frenzy.

Elvis tries harder on songs like "I Can't Stop Loving You" and a well-paced "Help Me" -- which is, like in Tulsa, quite good. The work on "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is very nice as well. But bravado, not artistry, rules the day, as it would in most of the shows he would give across the next three years. It's just so much more prominent by comparison with the sharp March 1 gig found on CD 1. Did management ever once consider letting the man do less shows? Obviously not when there is hay to make while the sun shines!! It's just so sad.

Listen out for a neat two-liner of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" before Presley lights up "Funny How Time Slips Away." And the producers throw in another one-liner as a bonus track, "Turn Around, Look At Me" from an otherwise-unreleased soundboard tape made in Baton Rouge, LA on June 17. It a nice touch to a VERY thoughtful, carefully-designed FTD release, and perhaps meant to close out the somewhat disappointing June 21 performance on CD 2 with a smile.

Once again a tip of the cap to the fellows who previously worked on the lovely Forty Eight Hours To Memphis collectors release about a year ago, Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos.

Brilliant Doc.

You know, I think it's the BEST soundboard release from FTD...

Can FTD top it?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:You know, I think it's the BEST soundboard release from FTD...

Wow..that`s nice.thank you.. ::rocks

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 am

Its the best as far as I'm concerned! I've wanted to hear the Tulsa show for almost 40 years now! I didn't get to go to the show but gosh darn it now I get to hear it! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:54 am

JEFF d wrote:Its the best as far as I'm concerned! I've wanted to hear the Tulsa show for almost 40 years now! I didn't get to go to the show but gosh darn it now I get to hear it! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Brilliant!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Ciscoking wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:You know, I think it's the BEST soundboard release from FTD...

Wow..that`s nice.thank you.. ::rocks

Listening to the SOLD OUT FTD has brought me so much pleasure it deserves all the praise and more...

Thank you,
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very astute reviews, Doc. "Cruise control" indeed in Cleveland, but a far more energised Elvis in Tulsa, his first "tour" gig for several months and it shows.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks for the review - much appreciated.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Once again a tip of the cap to the fellows who previously worked on the lovely Forty Eight Hours To Memphis collectors release about a year ago, Robert Frieser and Hans Siebos.

No, drjohncarpenter, that FTD release was about two years ago.

3000 SOUTH PARADISE ROAD was "about a year ago". :smt045

Always glad to help!
::rocks

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Blue River wrote:No ...

Stop your pointless, jealous nitpicking of my rich, informative posts, and try to enjoy life. Thank you.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Thanks for the review, Doc. Excellent as always.

Thank you!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Brilliant Doc.

Can FTD top it?

Thank you. Can they top it? For my money, FTD just keeps getting better and better.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Brilliant Doc.

Can FTD top it?

Thank you. Can they top it? For my money, FTD just keeps getting better and better.

Too true doc.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:15 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:As someone who attended all of the Elvis shows at the Spectrum in Philly during the 1970's, I would second that motion. ESPECIALLY the show from 1971!

Did you notice the drummer that night in 1971 was not Ronnie Tutt?

Hey DOC, yes, I did notice that at 71 Philly show Jerome was filling in for Ronnie. If I recall correctly, that was the only show on that tour that Ronnie Tutt was missing. Jerome did a wonderful job that night, I thought. During Polk Salad Annie, Johnny B. Goode, Hound Dog, One Night, Suspicious Minds, for example, where Elvis was especially animated, the drumming was keeping right up with Elvis. That 1971 Elvis show remains the best concert I ever attended by any artist. While I enjoyed all of the Elvis shows I was fortunate enough to attend, the 1971 show stands alone as the best!

rlj

It would be awesome if this show ever comes out from a soundboard tape.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:No, drjohncarpenter, that FTD release was about two years ago.

3000 SOUTH PARADISE ROAD was "about a year ago". :smt045

Always glad to help!

Stop ...

Please stay on topic... as I was doing.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Anyone notice another error in the packaging for this great release? Niagara Falls on June 24 does not indicate a matinee show -- the first one I attended with a start time at 3 PM. AND on a non-holiday Monday. That must be pretty rare (for anyone)!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 am

I am going to play this Tulsa show again today-brilliant and isn't 2013 turning out to be a great year for hearing previously unreleased soundboards!~ :wink: :wink: :D

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 am

Guys, you're parsing this release so much I just ordered it! 48 hours to Memphis left me a little cold after first announcement and then it sounds a little weird with so much echo. The 1972 package is better even if I don't play soundboards that much nowadays. But you all just made me buy this sold out release!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:35 am

frus75 wrote:Guys, you're parsing this release so much I just ordered it! 48 hours to Memphis left me a little cold after first announcement and then it sounds a little weird with so much echo. The 1972 package is better even if I don't play soundboards that much nowadays. But you all just made me buy this sold out release!!!!!

My work is done here. ;-)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:41 am

frus75 wrote:Guys, you're parsing this release so much I just ordered it! 48 hours to Memphis left me a little cold after first announcement and then it sounds a little weird with so much echo. The 1972 package is better even if I don't play soundboards that much nowadays. But you all just made me buy this sold out release!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will like it Ivan I am sure! The Tulsa show is very good & in good sound! I just wish he had sang a couple more tunes as the show clocks in at about only 52 mins in length.... the Cleveland show from June is also very enjoyable! I agree w. you about "48 Hours..." I think they added too much reverb to it, thank goodness I still have my copy of "Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind"... Im surprised that you hadn't ordered "Sold Out" but enjoy!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 am

Agree with your comments regarding '48 hours' JEFF'D.... :D

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 am

JEFF d wrote:I agree w. you about "48 Hours..." I think they added too much reverb to it ...

FTD engineers added no reverb to Forty Eight Hours To Memphis, it was already on the existing mix-down tape.