Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:If there's another 1974 tour release, it's time for a show from PHILADELPHIA, PA. Philadelphia is never represented, yet it's a major city. The city where the Declaration of Independence was signed. The second largest city on the East Coast.

Is Philadelphia the same city that has the terrible baseball team this year, Rich?

You forgot to mention that.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I do hope that we can do another set in this way..I already have ideas.. :wink:

That is GREAT NEWS - thanks for all your input to future FTD releases.
Cheers,
Piers

I said ..I hope..my friend..in the end Ernst decides..of course. But there`s hope.. :wink: ..

But obviously you have made a lot of fans happy, if one is to believe this forum. So i think he will at least listen to what you have to say. Great work, overall, really. Thanks a lot.

I have not had the time to listen to CD2 as i have been spinning Hot August Night and CD1 (Tulsa). Indeed a great listen. There is something about the concerts the first halve of the year of 1974. Sometimes it sounds like the concerts are a worldly gospel show of sorts. I don't know how to explain what i mean, but i will try. With the trumpets, the Sweets and the other vocal groups many of the songs take on a spiritual feeling, even if a song is not a spiritual or gospel, i.e. Let Me Be There. Very good show and i love listening to Elvis if he himself is clearly enjoying himself and is dedicated to his art.

The booklet really adds to the listening experience, setting the time frame and telling us what else happened in the Elvis world and the big world.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:00 pm

That's exactly it epf.

This package is a great representation of an audio & literary biopic presentation of Elvis' stage life in the first half of '74. I believe that's exactly what the team of Ernst, Frieser, Siebos & Cisco set out to do, and I, for one, applaud their efforts and give a "congratulations" shout-out. I hope they keep it up. Thank-you from a fan whose favorite concert period is the first half of 1974.

Darrell

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Reading this thread, I'm starting to wonder whether I'm really missing out on something by not having this. But I haven't bought any Elvis record since last year's Boy from Tupelo...and I guess there's life without this, too.

Maybe I'll just re-listen to Event Number Eight, and the Amarillo show from the RAT set. I mean, how different can they be? :P

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Rob wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:If there's another 1974 tour release, it's time for a show from PHILADELPHIA, PA. Philadelphia is never represented, yet it's a major city. The city where the Declaration of Independence was signed. The second largest city on the East Coast.

Is Philadelphia the same city that has the terrible baseball team this year, Rich?

You forgot to mention that.

You son of a bitch . . .

Here I am being a nice guy, and telling Ciscoking to consider releasing the Elvis show you attended in '74, along with a Philadelphia show. And YET . . . you mock my Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.

You sir . . . are a poopy head! smt172

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:You sir . . . are a poopy head! smt172

Now that's funny right there. That right there is funny. I don't care who you are, that is funny.
If you don't think that's funny, you need to get the heck outta here.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I do hope that we can do another set in this way..I already have ideas.. :wink:

If there's another 1974 tour release, it's time for a show from PHILADELPHIA, PA.

Philadelphia is never represented, yet it's a major city. The city where the Declaration of Independence was signed. The second largest city on the East Coast.

So . . . how about a Philly '74 show, along with the show that Rob attended in '74 8)

Of course, if by some miracle they have the Philly '71 show, then release that one! 8)

P.S. Another great package would be shows from March '75 in Vegas.

I'd rather have the 1957 one if they have that one.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:51 am

Scott Hayward wrote:Reading this thread, I'm starting to wonder whether I'm really missing out on something by not having this. But I haven't bought any Elvis record since last year's Boy from Tupelo...and I guess there's life without this, too.

Maybe I'll just re-listen to Event Number Eight, and the Amarillo show from the RAT set. I mean, how different can they be? :P

Treat yourself...

Why not?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 am

The Philadelphia E/S on this June 74' tour is nearly SAME as the Cleveland show, so i feel the Cleveland show was a smart choice....also well representing this tour with Elvis in great form.BRIDGE was also sung at this E/S.
and nothing wrong with a very slightly fast 'An American Trilogy/ when its sung with the care that it was in Tulsa on 1st March 74' great show and performance. :D

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 am

YDKM wrote:The Philadelphia E/S on this June 74' tour is nearly SAME as the Cleveland show, so i feel the Cleveland show was a smart choice.

It's good to have Cleveland covered like this for an official release since that's where the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is. :smt023

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:44 am

...they just played Trilogy from Tulsa on Elvis Radio! :D

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am

Glad you all love it but I just think Trilogy is much less powerful after Aloha. Obviously it's still better than many of the 1975 versions. Yes, the soft line, "You know your Daddy's bound to die," is better than Aloha but it's not better than 1972 and the whole Aloha performance is, overall, more powerful. I Can't Stop Loving You by 1974 is just a shadow of the performance it was, let's say, in 1972.

Again, Sold Out is a great FTD and a better than average representation of the 1974 show. IMO, the March shows are just a bit overrated.

I'm done. Thanks FTD for the fabulous releases.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am

well let me say this 'Aloha' main show IS my absolute fav version of 'Trilogy' :D

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:30 am

Look away, look awayay, look away....Disneyland.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 am

I´ve just halfway through the Tulsa show and I must say that it is the best sounding SB from 1974 I´ve heard. Very clear. The hi-hat sounds like it was recorded professionally. I will go on listening after work. :smt007

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 am

YDKM wrote:well let me say this 'Aloha' main show IS my absolute fav version of 'Trilogy' :D

Gotta agree totally.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am

To me the shows that I have heard from March of 74 are the best shows from that year.... I truly think the Tulsa show is one of the best! (of course I haven't heard ALL of Elvis' shows from 74)

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 am

I heard the Tulsa show twice in a row, wich rarely happens. I like especially how the new songs are performed in a slower tempo and Johnny B. Is my fav track from the show. What a great guitar from James.
The Cleveland show is great too, especially because of a stunning version of Bridge, but Tulsa is the star on this package. It would be great to see more releases like these, and I think it would be a great idea to have a concert from each year in the classic format (When possible)
Last edited by Sergio Luiz on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 pm

epf wrote:
YDKM wrote:well let me say this 'Aloha' main show IS my absolute fav version of 'Trilogy' :D

Gotta agree totally.

I must give my vote to the Greensboro version from "On tour". The Hampton roads version, seen in "This is Elvis" is very powerful too, but his voice cracks a bit on the final notes.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Elvis sings perfectly during the 1972 Greensboro performance. From a listeners point of view this show has always been a favourite of mine.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 am

Hans wrote:Elvis sings perfectly during the 1972 Greensboro performance. From a listeners point of view this show has always been a favourite of mine.

dreambear wrote:
epf wrote:

Gotta agree totally.

I must give my vote to the Greensboro version from "On tour". The Hampton roads version, seen in "This is Elvis" is very powerful too, but his voice cracks a bit on the final notes.

The producers picked Greensboro and it is great. I've grown awfully fond of the Richmond version since "Red Hot" was released. There's no cracking on this version. Fabulous.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:33 am

Rich_TCB wrote:

If there's another 1974 tour release, it's time for a show from PHILADELPHIA, PA.

Philadelphia is never represented, yet it's a major city. The city where the Declaration of Independence was signed. The second largest city on the East Coast.

So . . . how about a Philly '74 show, along with the show that Rob attended in '74 8)

Of course, if by some miracle they have the Philly '71 show, then release that one! 8)

P.S. Another great package would be shows from March '75 in Vegas.

As someone who attended all of the Elvis shows at the Spectrum in Philly during the 1970's, I would second that motion. ESPECIALLY the show from 1971!

rlj

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:35 am

Of couse, the afternoon show of June 23, 1974 was very, very good as well.

rlj

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 am

rlj4ep wrote:As someone who attended all of the Elvis shows at the Spectrum in Philly during the 1970's, I would second that motion. ESPECIALLY the show from 1971!

Did you notice the drummer that night in 1971 was not Ronnie Tutt?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:As someone who attended all of the Elvis shows at the Spectrum in Philly during the 1970's, I would second that motion. ESPECIALLY the show from 1971!

Did you notice the drummer that night in 1971 was not Ronnie Tutt?

Hey DOC, yes, I did notice that at 71 Philly show Jerome was filling in for Ronnie. If I recall correctly, that was the only show on that tour that Ronnie Tutt was missing. Jerome did a wonderful job that night, I thought. During Polk Salad Annie, Johnny B. Goode, Hound Dog, One Night, Suspicious Minds, for example, where Elvis was especially animated, the drumming was keeping right up with Elvis. That 1971 Elvis show remains the best concert I ever attended by any artist. While I enjoyed all of the Elvis shows I was fortunate enough to attend, the 1971 show stands alone as the best!

rlj