Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm so enjoying the new FTD SOLD OUT!- This has to be one of the best double soundboards EVER released by the collectors label!! Not only is the Tulsa show dynamite but also Cleveland is a compelling listen too. The Tulsa show has the better sound, which has to be said is very good with a good balance of instruments, although maybe a tad flat sounding but remedied by bass adjustment on my iPod (listen to Duke Bardwell's funky bass on 'Polk Salad Annie" -Duke was recently interviewed for the excellent liner notes). Additionally the sound of James Burton's stunning wah-wah guitar on "Let Me Be There" is a definite highlight!!) Moreover Burton's rockin' chicken pickin solo on "See See Rider" just never stops - fantastic!!

Every song is a gem here: More funky wah-wah on "Hound Dog "which rocks the house - a blistering Johnny B. Goode" with alternate schizoid solo - 'Trilogy' ranks high as a great version too. "Funny How Time Slips Away" hits the spot with more super Burton six-string action. Elvis then thanks Oral Roberts for the use of the University. ( See booklet which is a riveting read full of facts - there was even a bomb scare threat during the run up to the show!) Furthermore, I love to hear Al Dvorin's closing announcements and he doesn't disappoint (Elvis super souvenirs...)

Cleveland has more of a bass heavy mix but nonetheless is a very interesting show, likewise I just adjusted my treble settings. James Burton's guitar is much lower in the mix unfortunately but it doesn't spoil the enjoyment. It still features prominently on multiple songs. But most notably lacking on "See See Rider" and 'Polk' -- This is a very fine show however with a fantastic "Trying To Get To You" - his voice sounds fabulous,rich and full with keyboard heard in the mix. It's similar in feel to the LIVE IN LA FTD but with much better sound. Elvis introduces himself as Elvin Paisley which is amusing. He sounds relaxed and in great spirits throughout the show. After he finishes "Polk Salad Annie" he apologises for the mic cut-out and sits down on a monitor to chat and catch his breath. A fan tries to take one of his boots... (great photos of Elvis wearing his peacock suit from the show in booklet). The gospel classic "Why Me Lord" is introduced and sounds fabulous here.

More standouts: a great version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Big Boss Man"- and even a few lines of the melancholy blues - "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues." Then "Can't Help Falling in Love" and the closing vamp. The bonus song "Turn Around, Look At Me" (four lines only) sends chills!! This time Elvis say's: "I'm Arvis Paisley" before the opening lyric - "There's someone, walking behind you. Turn Around, look at me" --it's fantastic but only short. I wish he had performed all of it...The VOGUES had a hit with it in the 1960s, although Elvis was probably more familiar with the 1961 hit version by Glen Campbell.

It has to be said what's knocking me dead about this release is the superb booklet packed with wonderful photos and VERY compelling text written by Robert Frieser. When I first read it I was lost in the words and transported back to 1974 - and those heady touring day's and the huge behemoth of the Elvis Presley touring spectacle...

Summing up the hysteria around that March tour of '74 at the Mabee Special Events Center (Oral Roberts University) is captured perfectly by Robert...Also press reviews are included, a la the PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET style release( headline from the Beacon Journal for the the Cleveland show reads: "Elvis Still Has That Wiggling Charm.") –– I can't praise this release enough - it's solid gold! TULSA March One - CLEVELAND June twenty One - Elvis Presley SOLD OUT!! - yeah baby! 10/10.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 am, edited 12 times in total.

Re: FTD SOLD OUT! - Brilliant!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 pm

This is the kind of enthusiastic reviews/posts I like to read after a new batch of great FTD releases have hit us! And the latest releases are truly superb!

Thanks for sharing, "a mess of polk salad" and keep enjoying those great records! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:04 pm

This is my favourite FTD so far :D 10/10 indeed!.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I had a chance to listen to both shows. This is a fine FTD release... but neither of these shows are very exciting... probably because I've heard my share from both of these tours. The Kansas City show that was released by Fort Baxter is a better show than Cleveland in both SQ and performance. The Tulsa show is also uninspiring compared to later shows from that tour. Again, nothing against FTD releasing these shows... after all they had been unreleased to this point, so getting to hear new shows is always a good thing. Its just not a set I'll probably play again for some time. The only thing I would look forward to from 1974 now would be one of the soundbooth recordings from the Winter Vegas engagement.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Sold Out is a very good FTD release, as stated elsewhere. I'm glad to have it. That said, I believe these 1974 shows, including the Memphs show, are very overrated. Yes, he's in good voice but he's too much in cruise control. He really enjoys Let Me Be There, Tryin' To Get To You and Help Me. The rest is perfunctory. As I listened to the lackluster "I Can't Stop Loving You," which is so powerful in 1972, I couldn't help but think he really short-changed this Tulsa audience. Trilogy is technically OK, though speeded up, but it doesn't have the soul of even the Aloha version.

I actually think he worked harder in Cleveland. Again, Trying To Get To You is very good. Then, surprisingly, he sings "Bridge" with care and power and focus. He follows this with good Let Me Be There and Big Boss Man versions. At the end of this show, I felt I heard a couple instances of Elvis being the great singer I'm a fan of. Still, something like Can't Stop Loving You finds him being way too lazy.

Why, in 1974, is he still doing Bridge and Polk Salad? They were contemporary covers in 1970, but why is a major artist doing someone else's oldies in 1974. They just further make Elvis' 1974 show seem past its sale date. He still looks good and sounds good but he found he could go out there and the audience would be happy with about half the goods delivered. Soon he would deliver less than that.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 pm

The think is on those two covers you mention, these are not cookie cutter renditions that mimic the originals.

He really did make them his own on those 2 songs.

I like Bridge, even as late as 1977.

He never over did it and sang it at every show.

But when he did, he gave it the respect it deserves.

Again, they don't sound like the original artists.

I will agree with you on the 2 Two Olivia newton john covers though.

Although I like them from 1974-75, they should have been out by then.

And there are others that he never let go of which he couldv'e taken songs from his own catalog.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Had the shows been released 7 or 8 years ago..they would have been oustanding with no limitations....a few are just too spoilt nowadays..that`s all..

But I am really very happy that the overall opinion is so positive..thank you..in the name of the team..

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Had the shows been released 7 or 8 years ago..they would have been oustanding with no limitations....a few are just too spoilt nowadays..that`s all..

But I am really very happy that the overall opinion is so positive..thank you..in the name of the team..

This is a really great release - Thanks

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Ciscoking wrote: But I am really very happy that the overall opinion is so positive..thank you..in the name of the team..

Yes, this is a great release 8). What is next coming from the team? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Had the shows been released 7 or 8 years ago..they would have been oustanding with no limitations....a few are just too spoilt nowadays..that`s all..

Everything I wrote, I believed in 1974 when the Live In Memphis LP first came out. Yes, we have more information today to base opinions on, but I could see in 1974 that more of the show was becoming quite perfunctory.

Cisco, this release is very good and I am glad to have these concerts in my collection. Still, other than Tryin To Get To You, Help Me, or Let Me Be There, you have to admit there is no performance in Tulsa that comes close to performances of the same songs from 1970 - 1972. In Cleveland, the same is true though I wrote that Bridge is surprisingly powerful for the period.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:33 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Everything I wrote, I believed in 1974 when the Live In Memphis LP first came out. Yes, we have more information today to base opinions on, but I could see in 1974 that more of the show was becoming quite perfunctory.

If FTD would release a Vegas show from a certain time..or whatever ..this argument would be brought up as well..
the same goes for studio recordings or whatever..problem..we have enough material from each period of Elvis`work..
In other words..we are too spoilt..

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

If FTD would release a Vegas show from a certain time..or whatever ..this argument would be brought up as well..
the same goes for studio recordings or whatever..problem..we have enough material from each period of Elvis`work..

I will never complain about a top quality FTD release like this - I only wish we had more!!! MOAR!! MORE I SAY!! I wish FTD kept to their prior release schedule instead of changing just because a few people hated it.

Their release schedule is way too slow for me now. Sorry. I just love FTD. :D
Last edited by BrianTCB on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm

We have many bootleg releases that get praise but there not a patch on SOLD OUT!

Follow That Dream deserve a lot of praise here - two very good unreleased shows...

Cheers

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I am grateful that these shows were released and the packaging is definitely an upgrade. Thanks for the quality release FTD. I don't know about the first cd, but the Cleveland show, all we previously had on this concert was silent video...no audience recording was in circulation. It's nice to have audio available now.

We now have two more shows that help complete the picture of Elvis' career. How blessed we are as Elvis fans.

I am wondering since there is footage of the Cleveland show out there...is anyone working on matching up the footage with the sound to put out on youtube?

Cisco...any talk of taking the remaining concerts that FTD might deem as pointless to release on cd, make them available as downloads...or will they all be considered releasable enough on cd for the FTD label at some point? (Gosh the structure of this question leaves something to be desired, LOL)

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the great review a mess of polk salad I should be getting mine soon.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:40 pm

promiseland wrote:Thanks for the great review a mess of polk salad I should be getting mine soon.

Agreed. Me too.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 pm

promiseland wrote:Thanks for the great review a mess of polk salad I should be getting mine soon.

You"ll enjoy it.

Cheers

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:47 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:

You"ll enjoy it.

Cheers

I'm sure I will, and my patients is running thin after reading your nice review. :wink:

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Yes, we are spoiled. Most of us in the 1980's would never have believed that one day we would have scores of concerts in great sound to enjoy or that RCA (FTD) would be in the business of providing this to us. Sold Out is a great FTD release and I want more. Does this mean that we can't comment on the quality of the concert we get and that only those who think the concert is great can comment. I will say that I can be glad to get this release and still state that his performances of Polk Salad, Suspicious Minds, or Can't Stop Loving You are way too lazy and that he owed his fans more.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Love the bonus song on the Cleveland disc - Elvis sings it great -- here's Glen Campbell's hit version:

Turn Around, Look At Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an1el-i4srw

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 am

Mine will arrive Monday or Tuesday. I'm very much looking forward to giving them a spin.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 am

Truth be told, I was never that crazy about Elvis' concerts in '74.

Sure, there was the release of a couple of good imports, ("Event #8", "Breathing Out Fire") and of course the June 1974 RCA release, "Recorded Live In Memphis", a nice Lp, but certainly not in the league of the great 1972, "Madison Square Garden" album, and certainly nowhere in the same league as 1969's, "Elvis In Person", and for that matter, neither 1970's, "On Stage".

I always kinda thought Elvis sounded too nasaly, and in some instances, flat and out of breathe in '74, but this new FTD release, "Sold Out" has changed my mind about these feelings.

I have been listening indiscriminately to these two discs and, while not perfect, they are exceptionally very good, consistant and focused Elvis Presley concerts. Like I said earlier in another post, I was expecting less, but I was tremendously wrong and I am wholeheartedly completely satisfied and content with these shows and this wonderful FTD release.

Along with "Another 48 Hours To Memphis", 1974 seems to be "sneaking up on me" as being a very underrated year for "Live Elvis", for me personally.

It's great being an Elvis fan in '13 !!!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 am

I think we all were over-enthusiastic in the 1990s. All was new and interesting and so we over-rated many of the shows. Now we have a bunch of concerts from (almost) every tour or Vegas/Tahoe-engagement and are used to the set lists and jokes. So we are able to compare and judge the Quality of Elvis' performances. We are not spoiled, we are not bitter. We are just more realistic.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 am

MB280E wrote:This is the kind of enthusiastic reviews/posts I like to read after a new batch of great FTD releases have hit us! And the latest releases are truly superb!

Thanks for sharing, "a mess of polk salad" and keep enjoying those great records! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Too right bud.

Cheers

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am

minkahed wrote:Truth be told, I was never that crazy about Elvis' concerts in '74.

Sure, there was the release of a couple of good imports, ("Event #8", "Breathing Out Fire") and of course the June 1974 RCA release, "Recorded Live In Memphis", a nice Lp, but certainly not in the league of the great 1972, "Madison Square Garden" album, and certainly nowhere in the same league as 1969's, "Elvis In Person", and for that matter, neither 1970's, "On Stage".

I always kinda thought Elvis sounded too nasaly, and in some instances, flat and out of breathe in '74, but this new FTD release, "Sold Out" has changed my mind about these feelings.

I have been listening indiscriminately to these two discs and, while not perfect, they are exceptionally very good, consistant and focused Elvis Presley concerts. Like I said earlier in another post, I was expecting less, but I was tremendously wrong and I am wholeheartedly completely satisfied and content with these shows and this wonderful FTD release.

Along with "Another 48 Hours To Memphis", 1974 seems to be "sneaking up on me" as being a very underrated year for "Live Elvis", for me personally.

It's great being an Elvis fan in '13 !!!

It is turning out to be one of the very best FTDs...