Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: European Elvis festival Bad Nauheim 2013

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Did any of you who attended the festival have a chance to take a closer look at Ed Bonja's new book? Is it (any) good? Are there any new pictures to be found? Thanks in advance.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:46 am

Ciscoking wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Help me (words & music by Larry Gatlin)

So James is wrong.

I didn`t dare to tell him... :lol: ...

He probably messed it up with "Why Me". Kris recorded "Help Me" with Larry Gatlin, though. Featured on his "Jesus Was A Capricorn" album.

Had a great time, folks!

Very nice to have met you in person! ::rocks

@Henryk: I think the book wasn't worth the price... :wink:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Very fun in Bad Nauheim this year again!
I met the MemphisDreamer and her friend Lisa Marie.

I bought Ed Bonja´s book, all books are expensive these days, but I would say it has a lot of good pictures!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I think the book wasn't worth the price... :wink:

Sodman wrote:I bought Ed Bonja´s book, all books are expensive these days, but I would say it has a lot of good pictures!

Oh, OK. Thanks guys. I'll find out for myself later this or early next week. :smt001

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

great to see you guys
and it was a great Elvis weekend

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 pm

hm80ep wrote:Did any of you who attended the festival have a chance to take a closer look at Ed Bonja's new book? Is it (any) good? Are there any new pictures to be found? Thanks in advance.

1. No
2. About 4 or 5 'new' pictures.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Tony.. wrote:
hm80ep wrote:Did any of you who attended the festival have a chance to take a closer look at Ed Bonja's new book? Is it (any) good? Are there any new pictures to be found? Thanks in advance.

1. No
2. About 4 or 5 'new' pictures.

I think you have your question/ answer thing mixed up Tony

It should be

1. Yes
2. No
3. About 4 or 5 'new' pictures.

:wink:

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Regarding the Bad Nauheim festival; unless you paid between 40 - 50 Euros to watch the several decent live acts, you were stuck with very inferior Elvis irritators outside on the hotel grounds. There was non Elvis music played between these acts, so it was virtually an Elvis festival without any real Elvis! If we hadn't attended the 'Aloha' DVD screening, we wouldn't have heard the voice of Elvis for the entire festival!!
The TCB band are now 3 members only and Ronnie has an additional drummer to help him out. Joe Esposito looks very ill and has aged a lot since I last saw him in the UK about 3 years ago. Some did not recognise him when he was walking round the hotel.
Some of the stalls at the 'fan market' were selling non Elvis items and even non Elvis records. Many stalls were also selling the same stuff (recent books / FTD's) at varying prices.
The best part was visiting the locations where Elvis stayed, stood or visited, including a few surprises. Ray Barracks is being turned into a housing estate in the near future so that will be another Elvis related site disappearing.
GERMANY16.jpg

GERMANY17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Can you tell us more about the aloha screening - is it worth getting????

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm

LesterB wrote:Can you tell us more about the aloha screening - is it worth getting????

The only differences I could see were the shortening of the arrival / helicopter footage but they have added sound to the short discussion between Elvis and Tom Moffat so you can now hear what they are saying to each other (just about). Short bits of home movie arrival footage (originally used in one of the "short shots and silent clips" DVD's) have been inserted for a few seconds here and there during Elvis' walkabout on arrival where the TV cameras became out of range.
The actual show appears to use more close-ups of Elvis' face and "Blue suede shoes" no longer shows that girl with the headband in the audience. It focuses on Elvis instead for those couple of shots.
The sound in the auditorium in Bad Nauheim was very very good and it was shown on a big screen to a half full house with the 3 remaining members of the TCB band in attendance.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Tony. I will get this.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:02 pm

LesterB wrote:Thanks Tony. I will get this.

Really??? :shock:

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I think Tony is way too negative about the festival and everything (no offense). We were three persons coming all the way from Sweden for the festival (second time, was there last year also) and we had a great time. Attended the Rio concert on friday evening, took the bus tour inside Ray Barracks on saturday + visited the museum in Friedberg, watched the evening performance of Pete Storm and Oliver S. on saturday evening. And most imortantly spent the nights until 02.00 on friday and until 04.00 on saturday in the Green Island pub partying with the other Elvis fans and also some locals.
Also visited the festival area at Dolce on friday and sunday. Plus watched the Elvis sights in BD.
Will go there next year again, can´t wait...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:52 pm

He is, Sodman. I really would have liked to meet him in person, though. Knowing he was in the same room with me.

But the TCB members, Joe Esposito and Ed Bonja didn't attend the screening, they walked out before it started.

And Green Island was pure fun! :D

Now about attending that Rio concert... :roll: :?
Well, to each his own. :wink:

Have a great weekend, y'all! ::rocks

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Sodman wrote:I think Tony is way too negative about the festival and everything (no offense). We were three persons coming all the way from Sweden for the festival (second time, was there last year also) and we had a great time. Attended the Rio concert on friday evening, took the bus tour inside Ray Barracks on saturday + visited the museum in Friedberg, watched the evening performance of Pete Storm and Oliver S. on saturday evening. And most imortantly spent the nights until 02.00 on friday and until 04.00 on saturday in the Green Island pub partying with the other Elvis fans and also some locals.
Also visited the festival area at Dolce on friday and sunday. Plus watched the Elvis sights in BD.
Will go there next year again, can´t wait...

What was the "Rio" concert? Was that another immitator show with no actual Elvis in it costing over 40 Euros? Pete Storm was another show we did not attend. At 46 Euros for another non Elvis irritator, I found that price a rip off.
Yes, I enjoyed visiting the sights of Elvis' Germany very very much plus the fan market, but I did not go there to watch poor Elvis irritators all weekend. You can watch them any old time if you are that way inclined.
The Green Island Pub seemed to have only 2 Elvis CD's, so tracks were repeated over and over again, but at least it was somewhere where we could hear Elvis' actual voice which was refreshing.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 pm

As I have understood Rio is the best ETA in Germany. Started out as an opera singer so he really has the voice which he also showed in "Unchained Melody" and a absolutley fantastic "What now my love".
I never had the chance to watch Rio before and it was a great show with his all new band where the drummer really stood out. He was fantastic and tried his best to "kill the drums"!!
I´m not a big fan of ETA:s, but I enjoy a good show.

About the no actual Elvis? Well, he´s been dead for more than 35 years so what can you do... I can watch Elvis DVD:s at home, that is not why I go to BD.

About the only two CD:s being played at Green Island I fully agree, next year I will bring some CD:s myself and give them away to the pub... :D