Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sat May 10, 2003 11:30 am

Hey I love this song....and my wife works for a wine company :D

Doh, that's the problem....My wife LOL

:twisted:

Sat May 10, 2003 11:32 am

Just Pretend is a hidden favourite among fans.
A friend of mine (non-Elvis-fan) rated the song as the highlight of the show when we watched Elvis The Concert four years ago.

Sat May 10, 2003 11:38 am

Well if you met my wife you'd know what a problem she is. :oops: LOL

8)

Sat May 10, 2003 11:48 am

She's not really to bad. :wink:
I just have to bash her when she gets out of line. :lol: ( I don't really)

She lets me buy all the Elvis stuff so she's not to bad. :D

Sat May 10, 2003 1:27 pm

"Just Pretend" is really a great song. My 14 year old daughter and I were watching TTWII the second version and this turned out to be her favorite song by far along with "Sweet Caroline" near the end of the video.

Sat May 10, 2003 4:27 pm

"Just Pretend" has always been one of my Elvis favorites also. In fact, I introduced a friend (who was a non-Elvis fan) to Elvis by making him a cassette tape of songs I selected for him- and "Just Pretend" was one of those songs. I've always thought that Elvis sang the song with just the right amount of emotion. My friend was also impressed!

Nashnet

Sat May 10, 2003 6:06 pm

"Just Pretend" is one of my favourites, too. It´s a really powerful ballad, but not "overdone" like some other 70´s ballads. Even people who don´t like the "big" sounding EP ballads usually dig this one. It´s very soulful. In fact, the original TTWII-album has always been my #1 EP-album. "Just Pretend", "How The Web Was Woven" and "I Just Can´t Help Believing" are all in my Top 10. A bottle of wine goes extremely well with that CD! I gave a copy of it to my ex-girlfriend when we had just started dating, and she fell in love with Elvis (and me... just too bad it didn´t last!).

Just Pretend on TTWitWas

Sat May 10, 2003 9:14 pm

GREAT song, Carolyn, one of the best.
I rate the TTWayIt Was version as an all time favourite.
(same as the Brightest Star bootleg version)

Get hold of a copy if you can.

>>>
http://www.elvis.com.au/articles/review ... yitwas.htm

Cheers, Piers
PS can't believe you missed "The Concert" when it came to Australia

Sat May 10, 2003 9:41 pm

I love the song too.

The version on the "Live In Las Vegas" CD set (if I'm not mistaken, the same one that was featured in the "TTWII-SE" DVD, and also "The Lost Performances" video) is one of my favorite versions of the song.

I also have the "import" CD "Just Pretend" (the Dec. 13, 1975 midnight show) which contains a performance of the song.

Tom (from Ohio)

Sun May 11, 2003 4:27 am

"Just Pretend" is also one of my fav songs in the 1970's . I also like "The Next Step is Love " & " I've Lost You " . Wouldn't be great if the song made a comeback over the airwaves and it became #1 on Billboard ? It is way better then the junk being played on today's radio .
Bill

Mon May 12, 2003 4:06 pm

"Just Pretend" is a 70's Elvis masterpiece! 2 others that I would rank right up there are "Tomorrow Never Comes" and "Lovin' Arms". I'm also very partial to "Solitaire", but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a masterpiece. It is one of the most moving, nakedly emotional performances from the E.P. Boulevard album. "It's Midnight" and "Pieces Of My Life" also get to me. Elvis' forte in the 70's was the tearjerker ballad. Being a "cry in your beer" type of guy, I really love his stuff in this vein.

Tue May 13, 2003 2:42 pm

Hi Carolyn

I'm so glad somebody feels so strongly about this song. I usually find it hard to pick a favourite of anything, but this song has always come up top for me. You can tell when watching TTWII footage just how much Elvis too loved to sing this song too. It's got so much emotion in it, and suited Elvis' voice perfectly. When he goes "up" in the first verse and sings "and think of me........", it just don't get any better than that ;)

I waited for years to get a decent quality live version on CD and thankfully BMG got it out there on the TTWII triple cd set. :lol:

Tue May 13, 2003 2:49 pm

:o Hi Carolyn, Yes 'Just Pretend' is one of my all time favs!. particularily the way Elvis deals with it in 1975...so MUCH DEEPER in meaning and the way he sang it on 10th December 1975 revealed so MUCH about him and so much more about the song..truly a hidden treasure of a song!!! 8) :lol: :shock:

Tue May 13, 2003 2:50 pm

:o Hi Carolyn, Yes 'Just Pretend' is one of my all time favs!. particularily the way Elvis deals with it in 1975...so MUCH DEEPER in meaning and the way he sang it on 10th December 1975 revealed so MUCH about him and so much more about the song..truly a hidden treasure of a song!!! 8) :lol: :shock:

JUST PRETEND....

Tue May 13, 2003 11:26 pm

that this song, cw STRANGER IN THE CROWD would have been a single??
Those two are definite favourites of mine from TTWII original album!

Wed May 14, 2003 2:21 pm

QUITE SIMPLY THE BEST SONG ELVIS EVER RECORDED
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY TAKES OF THIS THERE IS(STUDIO)
AND I THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY ME THAT THOUGHT SO MUCH OF THIS
SONG IT SHOULD BE RELEASED AGAIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D [/b]

Thu May 15, 2003 8:51 am

I have to join the fanclub. I absolutely love this record. I feel after listening to it I've just watched an epic, emotionally satisfying movie. I think the key is in the way Elvis handles its bigness. The verses are very subtle almost conversation. The big chorus then comes as a surprise and a huge emotional release. In no way does Elvis oversing this song (ala Mariah Carey). There are no unnecessary melismas or flourishes; everything is done to maximize the emotional power of the song.

I like the studio version best though.