Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bruce springsteen,2013-07-13 Jailhouse & Follow That Dream

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Interesting how he changed follow that dream almost into a whole diffrent song.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: Bruce springsteen,2013-07-13 Jailhouse & Follow That Dre

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Follow That Dream is a different song basicallt.

Loved Jailhouse rock!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Interesting how he changed follow that dream almost into a whole diffrent song.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

"Jailhouse Rock" was a tour premiere, an audience request, and one Bruce tends to do about once a decade.

It's neat to see "Follow That Dream" done so well, and yet still a bit off-the-cuff. Including last night, Bruce has only performed the song 5 times in the last twenty years.

Bruce has actually remade Elvis' lovely 1962 title song twice, the first was thirty-plus years ago, on the second leg of his tour for The River, in spring 1981. It was a dark and eerie, stunning rearrangement.

phpBB [video]

Bruce Springsteen "Follow That Dream" (Stockholm, Thursday, May 7, 1981)
Opening song of the night.

In early 1983, Springsteen laid down a completely new arrangement, by himself at his Los Angeles home studio.

phpBB [video]

Bruce Springsteen "Follow That Dream" (Thrill Hill West, Jan-Feb 1983)
Solo, multi-tracked home demo.

Although in 1984-85 Bruce put out some of these incredible solo home multi-tracks on Born in the U.S.A. B-sides, this amazing version of "Follow That Dream" (among scores of others) did not make it.

To this day, it remains officially unissued, although it is basically the same rendition he did at that show last night, seen on that YouTube clip you posted.

It's pretty great Bruce Springsteen is such a huge Elvis fan.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 pm

It's always great seeing Bruce in concert, and extra special when he does an Elvis song or two. He is a true fan, and I love his renditions of the Elvis songs he has done over the years. Follow That Dream is especially great as he has made it his own song IMO.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:38 pm

just about BEST living rock artist alive in 2013 8) :roll: :D

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:38 pm

YDKM wrote:just about BEST living rock artist alive in 2013 8) :roll: :D

Yup. Only Bieber is better.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 am

Loved it.
I'm reading a Bruce book right now and I found two quotes in it about Elvis I hadn't seen before.
"When I first heard Elvis' voice, I knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail"
and
"Elvis is my religion. But for him I'd be selling encyclopedias right now"
Both quotes taken from the book "Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, Heart of Darkness"

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 am

Elvis lit the flame for Bruce. Bruce keeps it alive in 2013.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Im not a Bruce fan but I appreciate he is an Elvis fan. Not sure how anyone could compare his Follow That Dream to Elvis', its a differnt song with close to the same lyrics.
Alot of people here would be outraged at alot of other artists changing Elvis' work but there are allowances made for Bruce. I used to work in a venue where he played 3-4 times, all I can say is I was glad I was being paid to be there. Anyway each to ther own.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:31 pm

murph1031 wrote:Loved it.
I'm reading a Bruce book right now and I found two quotes in it about Elvis I hadn't seen before.
"When I first heard Elvis' voice, I knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail"
and
Both quotes taken from the book "Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, Heart of Darkness"

I thought that first quote was Dylan's? The 2nd one for sure if from Bruce.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Me not being a Springsteen fan, i actually quite enjoyed these two performances.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

r&b wrote:
and

The book I took them from list them as quotes by Bruce. The book could be wrong, I really don't know for sure.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

Very good !

A couple of weeks ago I saw a concert on TV by Bruce from '88 in the GDR and he did "Can't help falling in love". Hadn't heard that one by him before.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm

murph1031 wrote:
r&b wrote:
and

The book I took them from list them as quotes by Bruce. The book could be wrong, I really don't know for sure.

The first one is definitely from Dylan, around the time Peter Guralnick's Last Train To Memphis was published.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Yep, Flanders was treated with 2 great Presley classics by The Boss. 8)

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:02 am

nod3million wrote:Im not a Bruce fan but I appreciate he is an Elvis fan. Not sure how anyone could compare his Follow That Dream to Elvis', its a differnt song with close to the same lyrics.
Alot of people here would be outraged at alot of other artists changing Elvis' work but there are allowances made for Bruce. I used to work in a venue where he played 3-4 times, all I can say is I was glad I was being paid to be there. Anyway each to ther own.

Well, Elvis changed other peoples' work. It was what made Elvis, Elvis! Ain't nobody ever sang "Don't that old moon look lonesome, when your bay-ay-aybee's not around . . ." From "Milkcow": that lyric is not in either Wills' version, or Arnold's or any of the many I've heard. Or in "Blue Moon of Kentucky," the whole first verse is original, and the whole song reworked, and Elvis was concerned that Bill Monroe not "break my jaw."

So, I think that's entirely fair and right: to look for the meanings that are hiding there in the songs. It's not like this what the song was "supposed" to mean when composed, arranged and recorded, but it's what people take FROM it, when they hear it in context. And the context is Elvis Presley's whole life, the lives he changed, the world he helped to change . . . it's all there when you hear Elvis sing it, so Bruce is just bringing it out is all.

I really love that ghostly version from the very early '80s. Thanks, Doc, for posting! Cool!

rjm

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am

:smt035 Yes rjm, I have to agree with you about Elvis' interpretation making some of those early songs so special and unique. And I thought the same thing about Bruces early 80's home recording. I've always known he was a huge fan of Elvis, but I definitely have never heard this so I consider it quite a treat.
Just a separate personal thought, to the best of my knowledge he's one of the few true rockers left that still, whether on stage or at various speaking venues, he publicly invokes Elvis' name when it's relevant or justified. I've always appreciated how he wears it on his sleeve. And I always wonder how many fairweather Elvis fans might be out there listening or even other artists, and they perhaps say to themselves "You know maybe there's a little more to this Elvis cat I need to check him out". If so .... it's a beautiful thing. Bruce is helping make the ripple spread in the water.

And yes thanks Doc for posting/sharing those video

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:24 am

It's too bad Elvis' '76/'77 versions kill the Boss versions !!!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:44 am

1Sixstring wrote::smt035 Yes rjm, I have to agree with you about Elvis' interpretation making some of those early songs so special and unique. And I thought the same thing about Bruces early 80's home recording. I've always known he was a huge fan of Elvis, but I definitely have never heard this so I consider it quite a treat.
Just a separate personal thought, to the best of my knowledge he's one of the few true rockers left that still, whether on stage or at various speaking venues, he publicly invokes Elvis' name when it's relevant or justified. I've always appreciated how he wears it on his sleeve. And I always wonder how many fairweather Elvis fans might be out there listening or even other artists, and they perhaps say to themselves "You know maybe there's a little more to this Elvis cat I need to check him out". If so .... it's a beautiful thing. Bruce is helping make the ripple spread in the water.

And yes thanks Doc for posting/sharing those video

You're welcome. Nice post!

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:48 pm

nod3million wrote:Im not a Bruce fan but I appreciate he is an Elvis fan. Not sure how anyone could compare his Follow That Dream to Elvis', its a differnt song with close to the same lyrics.

Hope it was triple time! :lol: