Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Lawdy Miss Clawdy - what does Elvis actually sing

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

This is one of my all time favourite Elvis songs from the fifties there something has always niggled me about the recording and I hope someone can end this minor personal mystery for me. What the hell does Elvis sing in place of the published lyrics I've highlighted below. I've listened to live versions and alternate takes and cannot for the life of me figure it out. I read somewhere that it might be "Good bye to you my darling but that's not what I hear. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Words and Music by Lloyd Price
Well, lawdy, lawdy, lawdy Miss Clawdy
Girl, you sure look good to me
Well please don't excite me, baby
I know it can't be me
Well, I give you all my money
Yeah but you just won't treat me right
You like to ball every morning
Don't come home til' late at night

I'm gonna tell, tell my mama
Girl swear to God what you been doing to me
I'm gonna tell everybody that I'm down in miserySo bye, bye, bye, baby
Girl, I won't be comin' no more
Goodbye little darlin' down the road I'll go
So, bye, bye, bye baby

Re: Lawdy Miss Clawdy - what does Elvis actually sing

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 pm

elmonstro wrote:This is one of my all time favourite Elvis songs from the fifties there something has always niggled me about the recording and I hope someone can end this minor personal mystery for me. What the hell does Elvis sing in place of the published lyrics I've highlighted below. I've listened to live versions and alternate takes and cannot for the life of me figure it out. I read somewhere that it might be "Good bye to you my darling but that's not what I hear. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Lawdy Miss Clawdy
I know it can't be me

So, bye, bye, bye baby

It's Tarnelle, or perhaps Tarnell.

"Goodbye Tarnelle, darling, down the road I go."

She was apparently someone singer Lloyd Price had dated at the time he cut his 1952 #1 R&B hit for Specialty.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:13 pm

He sings, "Goodbye Tarnell darling", which is the name of the girl in the song according to original lyrics. Many more on this board can elaborate more on this.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:16 pm

eligain wrote:He sings, "Goodbye Tarnell darling", which is the name of the girl in the song according to original lyrics. Many more on this board can elaborate more on this.

Yes. ;-)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

An inside joke, Scotty told him it sounded like he was saying "Goodbye toenail darlin" so when they used to perform it Elvis said that and they'd smile or laugh.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for that info! I actually NEVER understood what he was singing and didn't even try to find out... :? :shock: :facep:

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:An inside joke, Scotty told him it sounded like he was saying "Goodbye toenail darlin" so when they used to perform it Elvis said that and they'd smile or laugh.

Perhaps so, but Lloyd Price clearly sings 'Tarnelle" on the original single, which came out just as Elvis was finishing his junior year at Humes High.

It was the R&B hit of the summer.

phpBB [video]

Lloyd Price And His Orchestra "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (Specialty 428, May 24, 1952)
Billboard R&B #1, July 12, 1952 ... stayed at the top throughout the summer.
"Tarnelle" heard at 2:14 ... piano apparently played by all-time favorite Fats Domino.

And on Elvis' small combo versions from June 1968, we clearly hear "Tarnelle" as well.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:21 pm

I always thought he just sang "Goodbye Till Now Darling" which would make more sense.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:An inside joke, Scotty told him it sounded like he was saying "Goodbye toenail darlin" so when they used to perform it Elvis said that and they'd smile or laugh.

Perhaps so, but Lloyd Price clearly sings 'Tarnelle" on the original single, which came out just as Elvis was finishing his junior year at Humes High.

phpBB [video]

Llyod Price And His Orchestra "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (Specialty 428, May 24, 1952)
"Tarnelle" heard at 2:14 ... piano apparently played by all-time favorite Fats Domino.

And on Elvis' small combo versions from June 1968, we clearly hear "Tarnelle" as well.

Elvis sure used to listen to cool sounds in the 50's.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

I wish he would have kept his interest in R & B and continued to want to record it in his later years instead of veering off into Countrypolitan.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 pm

eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Country is ok if its the right kind. Outlwaw country, or country rock like the Allman Bros or Marshall Tucker. But MOR country? No.

I wish he would have kept his interest in R & B and continued to want to record it in his later years instead of veering off into Countrypolitan.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 am

That's some pretty little anecdote, James. The closest thing I ever understood was "Goodbye Tonja darlin" or something. Although I love the song and all versions by our man that have been captured, I never gave it much thought and just enjoyed it.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:47 am

I acknowledge that "Tarnelle" is correct but I always heard "Goodbye to my little darling."

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 am

George Smith wrote:I acknowledge that "Tarnelle" is correct but I always heard "Goodbye to my little darling."

That's because you are a classy guy. ;-)

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elmonstro wrote:This is one of my all time favourite Elvis songs from the fifties there something has always niggled me about the recording and I hope someone can end this minor personal mystery for me. What the hell does Elvis sing in place of the published lyrics I've highlighted below. I've listened to live versions and alternate takes and cannot for the life of me figure it out. I read somewhere that it might be "Good bye to you my darling but that's not what I hear. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Lawdy Miss Clawdy
I know it can't be me

So, bye, bye, bye baby

She was apparently someone singer Lloyd Price had dated at the time he cut his 1952 #1 R&B hit for Specialty.

Thanks so much for that. I never understood the use of "tarnelle." Thanks so much.

rlj

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Lloyd Price And His Orchestra "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (Specialty 428, May 24, 1952)

I won't dispute that but what I said came from Scotty. Just thought you all would enjoy the tidbit. I can't honestly say what you or anyone hears when, or what he actually sang on what renditions.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 am

We know he altered the line "Lord I swear, gal what you've been doin' to me" (as sung on the fantastic master) to "Lord I swear to God what you've been doin' to me" (April '72 for example).

And on the studio master he sings "goodbye little darlin''.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy
I know it can't be me

Thanks Doc and everyone else. Great to finally get this one cleared up. It' weren't no big thing, but it was growing. I can now sing along with confidence - if only in the lyric department.
So, bye, bye, bye baby

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Damn I have always thought he said "toe nail" , too!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 pm

What lyrics did EP sing in later versions?Can't remember which version,either Elvis On Tour or Memphis '74,but I'm sure I've heard EP sing "Goodbye Clawdy oh darlin,..." Or maybe I'm hearin it wrong.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:25 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I won't dispute that but what I said came from Scotty. Just thought you all would enjoy the tidbit. I can't honestly say what you or anyone hears when, or what he actually sang on what renditions.

It's much appreciated.

IIRC, you hear "toenail" on some of the outtakes from the February 3, 1956 RCA New York session. And assuming the song was included in some of his live sets in 1955-57, he could have been just as silly there.

But on the 1952 Price single, and at the 1968 small combo jams, we hear "Tarnelle."

One of the coolest aspects of Elvis' rehearsals and performances at NBC Burbank that summer was how completely devoted he was to his original inspirations. It's like he had opened up a channel to the kid who set the world on fire in 1955-57. As has been established by the historical record, Elvis had a memory like an elephant ... when he cared.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:18 pm

I always thought it was "goodbye tawdry darlin'", which sounded more like "goodbye TAW-dray darlin'". Whether Elvis knew the actual word or not is unclear. Perhaps he thought it was 'Tarnelle', which Scotty heard as 'toenail'.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/tawdry

iconoclassics

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 pm

iconoclassics wrote:I always thought it was "goodbye tawdry darlin'", which sounded more like "goodbye TAW-dray darlin'". Whether Elvis knew the actual word or not is unclear. Perhaps he thought it was 'Tarnelle', which Scotty heard as 'toenail'.

Elvis thought it was "Tarnelle" because that is what he heard on Lloyd Price's #1 hit single in the summer of 1952.

Review the post I made with Price's single, it is clear as day.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I won't dispute that but what I said came from Scotty. Just thought you all would enjoy the tidbit. I can't honestly say what you or anyone hears when, or what he actually sang on what renditions.

It's much appreciated.

IIRC, you hear "toenail" on some of the outtakes from the February 3, 1956 RCA New York session. And assuming the song was included in some of his live sets in 1955-57, he could have been just as silly there.

But on the 1952 Price single, and at the 1968 small combo jams, we hear "Tarnelle."

One of the coolest aspects of Elvis' rehearsals and performances at NBC Burbank that summer was how completely devoted he was to his original inspirations. It's like he had opened up a channel to the kid who set the world on fire in 1955-57. As has been established by the historical record, Elvis had a memory like an elephant ... when he cared.

YES. And yet it sounded like it was being done for the first time - completely different yet so familiar :!:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy sounded great in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Elvis almost pulled it off in 77 (or was that just the band sounding bluesy?)

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 am

LesterB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's much appreciated.

YES. And yet it sounded like it was being done for the first time - completely different yet so familiar :!:

Lawdy Miss Clawdy sounded great in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Elvis almost pulled it off in 77 (or was that just the band sounding bluesy?)

Sadly, 1977 is not a great year for anything by Elvis.