Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: St. Louis, June 28th, 1973 Footage !!!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:19 am

Now that was pretty cool. The first time I've actually seen Elvis sing "I'm Leavin'" - by the look in his face you can tell he believes every word he is singing. What a sad and bitter song. But I love it.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:37 am

Simon1 wrote:You're welcome BigBird and Christopher.
The footage is much better than what has been floating around the last decades. Thank you BigBird for your interesting explanation about making copies of 8mm nowadays and the prohibitive cost indeed makes this being a 'new' copy impossible, I might bid on this myself.

Cheers,
Simon

You are very welcome, Simon.

... and yeah the internegative methode is indeed extremely expensive.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 am

BigBird wrote:So, here is the video clip on youtube from the ebay seller, I and aparently others have requested:

phpBB [video]

BTW. It's available in HiDef

Wow! I wish we would have all the Super 8 and 8mm footage which we know from the old VHS "bad quality tapes" in this great quality!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:02 pm

So do I. I wonder what people are waiting for

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 pm

robbie wrote:
BigBird wrote:So, here is the video clip on youtube from the ebay seller, I and aparently others have requested:

phpBB [video]

BTW. It's available in HiDef

Wow! I wish we would have all the Super 8 and 8mm footage which we know from the old VHS "bad quality tapes" in this great quality!

Wiebe wrote:So do I. I wonder what people are waiting for

Well, I can understand it to a certain degree, some of the stuff did cost some collectors a lot of money, a high quality digital transfer is not that cheap either and to release it is even more expensive, so the only way to do it and make some of his,or her money back is via bootlegging and that again is risky.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Christopher wrote:
Wiebe wrote:I'm bidding for this one. One of my favourite 8 mm films because of I'm Leavin' .

good luck to you!

coming from berlin, germany ...
a small check reveals that it is an elvis seller, who, beside other super 8 reels, already sold dozens of "complete works" and "final curtain" sets for freaky prices (nothing wrong with that). similar reels in past auctions sold for more than 100, sometimes more than 200 €.

i don´t think these are the original reels, just copies from the original silent super 8 film.
50 ft. (in german: 15 m) is the regular small/smallest reel with approximately 3 min. runtime.
seller claims "This Elvis Footage is totally unreleased and therefore super rare!", but i´m not too sure about that. as i´ve learned from this forum, way back in the 70s and 80s copies of those reels were widely traded in fan circles.

i like super 8 and - like most of us - can get excited about original footage, but i wouldn´t rave about these offers.

Who knows if this is the original film or just a copy. I don't and I don't care either.

I also don't know if this film in full or in part made the rounds before.

However, this film is obviously better than ANY of those lousy video transfers or DVD transfers, which in many if not most cases originate from old videos anyhow.
Is it true that films could get copied with (almost) no loss of quality?

And by the way, damn those fans for not filming Elvis with digital Full HD cameras :mrgreen:

So, until the time when fan footage should show up, which was directly filmed with digital Full HD cameras, I'd be pleased to get hold of any digital direct transfers from Super 8, 8mm or 16mm fan footage to DVD. Please feel free to drop me a line via PM and I'll gladly hand you my adress 8)

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:05 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Wiebe wrote:I'm bidding for this one. One of my favourite 8 mm films because of I'm Leavin' .

good luck to you!

coming from berlin, germany ...
a small check reveals that it is an elvis seller, who, beside other super 8 reels, already sold dozens of "complete works" and "final curtain" sets for freaky prices (nothing wrong with that). similar reels in past auctions sold for more than 100, sometimes more than 200 €.

i don´t think these are the original reels, just copies from the original silent super 8 film.
50 ft. (in german: 15 m) is the regular small/smallest reel with approximately 3 min. runtime.
seller claims "This Elvis Footage is totally unreleased and therefore super rare!", but i´m not too sure about that. as i´ve learned from this forum, way back in the 70s and 80s copies of those reels were widely traded in fan circles.

i like super 8 and - like most of us - can get excited about original footage, but i wouldn´t rave about these offers.

Who knows if this is the original film or just a copy. I don't and I don't care either.

I also don't know if this film in full or in part made the rounds before.

However, this film is obviously better than ANY of those lousy video transfers or DVD transfers, which in many if not most cases originate from old videos anyhow.
Is it true that films could get copied with (almost) no loss of quality?

And by the way, damn those fans for not filming Elvis with digital Full HD cameras :mrgreen:

So, until the time when fan footage should show up, which was directly filmed with digital Full HD cameras, I'd be pleased to get hold of any digital direct transfers from Super 8, 8mm or 16mm fan footage to DVD. Please feel free to drop me a line via PM and I'll gladly hand you my adress 8)

Well said.

as far as the lossless analog copying from super 8 films is concerned the answer is yes and no.

A contact copy will always result in a quality loss of 10-15 percent, the reason for that is obvious, the emulsion layer, thats the tarnished side of the film (on side is wan the other is shiny) lies on the shiny side of the to be exposed blank super 8 film, due to the thickness, or thinness of the celluloid one automatically looses sharpness, also from the outer rim it creates some sort of shaddow and third one copies also the grain from the original super 8 to the new super 8 which has additional grain of its own.

Not so with the Internegative copy method, first is will be blown up to a 16 mm interneagtive, the interesting thing is, the grain get a lot less, especially in the drak grey and almsot black areas, nobody knows why that is, but it is a fact. From that it will be minimized to a super 8 film through an optic device which can project it straigh onto the emulsion layer and sharpess can also be adjusted. Therefore one has no loss of sharpness, the 16 mm internegative does NOT add any grain, it actually subtracts some of the grain due to the nature of the copying process and any color fades and distrotions can be adjusted with the optical device from the super 8 to the 16 mm and then from the 16 mm to the super 8.

The result then is, a high quality copy which with a human eye can NOT be distinguished from the original, except that the outer rim is a little bit cropped. In other words the quality loss is so minimal with the internegative method it actually becomes irrelevant.

I hope that was helpfull.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Perfect explanation. Thanks a lot.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:47 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Perfect explanation. Thanks a lot.

You are welcome.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:40 pm

I wish Ernst would track down these films and make Dvd projects like PFAP 8)

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Wiebe wrote:I bought a copy of the Baltimore 71 film, and it had no color, it was just like video transfers that we know. So seeing the color in these frames make me believe that this could be the original or a very good copy. Anyway I'm not going to pay as much as I did for the Baltimore footage.

Wiebe, it looks as if you wont get the footage from St Louis 1973, since it already is up to 131 Euros (approx. 150-160 USD, or approx. 115 GBP).

therefore, take a good look at it, in 24 hours it will be gone for good:

phpBB [video]

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Here's the same footage from a different source (I think) Obviously, this footage has made the rounds before, and I'm pretty sure a complete performance of I'm Leavin' is available on DVD-R and has been for years...with sound. I just don't buy into this "newly discovered reels" crap.

phpBB [video]

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm

The last YouTube clip was obviously made from a later video source. The quality is pretty Ok, but not as good as the reel which is now for sale on Ebay. Now that we have seen both clips, one will know what to expect, content and quality wise, when bidding on the film.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's the same footage from a different source (I think) Obviously, this footage has made the rounds before, and I'm pretty sure a complete performance of I'm Leavin' is available on DVD-R and has been for years...with sound. I just don't buy into this "newly discovered reels" crap.

phpBB [video]

May i ask were anybody said the super 8 reel from St Louis we are talking about is "newly discovered"???

Pls enlighten us all, thanks in advance.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:The last YouTube clip was obviously made from a later video source. The quality is pretty Ok, but not as good as the reel which is now for sale on Ebay. Now that we have seen both clips, one will know what to expect, content and quality wise, when bidding on the film.

... my sentiments exactly.

TCB-Fan makes a huge mistake, or shall I called it an intentionally error?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:09 pm

BigBird wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:The last YouTube clip was obviously made from a later video source. The quality is pretty Ok, but not as good as the reel which is now for sale on Ebay. Now that we have seen both clips, one will know what to expect, content and quality wise, when bidding on the film.

To each his own. I'm sticking to my theory.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
BigBird wrote:

What theory?

You do not have a theory, you making false claims as if anybody around here said the footage from St. Louis is "newly discovered" so again why do you make up some false statements?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:56 pm

BigBird wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
BigBird wrote:

What theory?

You do not have a theory, you making false claims as if anybody around here said the footage from St. Louis is "newly discovered" so again why do you make up some false statements?

So it's safe to assume you've placed your bid on ebay ?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
BigBird wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
BigBird wrote:

What theory?

So it's safe to assume you've placed your bid on ebay ?

quit smokescreening, answer the damn question!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:53 am

Whats a matter with people here its great to see this stuff available, even if you pay a good price get a transfer and sell it again get your money back its all we have off these concerts lifes short smt176

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:41 pm

robbie wrote:Whats a matter with people here its great to see this stuff available, even if you pay a good price get a transfer and sell it again get your money back its all we have off these concerts lifes short smt176

My point exactly!!!

But as one can clearly see on other threads, the elvis fan comunity is comprised out of a handful , mabye even 2-3 hand full of elvis fans and the rest are some Beatles, Springsteen moles.

Did I ever mention how happy I am about the fact that Elvis was a straight conservative, which puts Elvis on the opposite site of Springsteen and his sociaist/tyrannical friends, such as the beatles and all the other leftist human trash who already killed millions of ppl in their "nobel" social experiments, such as the sovjet union and others.
However, as a reminder:

phpBB [video]

watch it in Hidef .... sorry i already said that.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:35 pm

BigBird wrote:
robbie wrote:Whats a matter with people here its great to see this stuff available, even if you pay a good price get a transfer and sell it again get your money back its all we have off these concerts lifes short smt176

My point exactly!!!

But as one can clearly see on other threads, the elvis fan comunity is comprised out of a handful , mabye even 2-3 hand full of elvis fans and the rest are some Beatles, Springsteen moles.

Did I ever mention how happy I am about the fact that Elvis was a straight conservative, which puts Elvis on the opposite site of Springsteen and his sociaist/tyrannical friends, such as the beatles and all the other leftist human trash who already killed millions of ppl in their "nobel" social experiments, such as the sovjet union and others.
However, as a reminder:

phpBB [video]

I did, but thats no bother. or is it

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:37 pm

I'll get one of Joe Tunzi's film locator cronies on the phone to acquire this footage from the seller. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I'll get one of Joe Tunzi's film locator cronies on the phone to acquire this footage from the seller. I'll let you know how it goes.

Great Idea.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm

BigBird wrote:
BigBird wrote:

My point exactly!!!

However, as a reminder:

phpBB [video]

I did, but thats no bother. or is it

no bother at all.